Requesting an End to All 3v3: Squad and Ships

Replies

• ToLive
    105 posts Member
    It will be cool if they allow as to choose 3 or 5. 5 is my favorite mode and not "stale" for me. 3v3 is ****, I don't have Malak so it is not a problem in 5x5, but in 3x3 I usually get them as opponent's defense squad and it is almost 100% loss.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I'd be fine with the GA type rotating through a single GAC, so that each sent of 3 is a different map setup. That way if you can't stand a certain mode, it's only 1 week instead of a month.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    I'd be fine with the GA type rotating through a single GAC, so that each sent of 3 is a different map setup. That way if you can't stand a certain mode, it's only 1 week instead of a month.

And this argues for a more balanced "Champion" since that person was able to master all game modes. Match ups play into it a lot, but they always do, so be it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I'm no fan of 3v3 either, but I make it work.

You may nok like 3v3, but the reasons you give make no sense. 3v3 is the exact opposite of what you describe.

3v3 is not at all boring. It's different than 5v5. It's the exact opposite of "the same cut-and-paste battles". Therefore, it challenges you to rethink your strategy. If you, @Palanthian, only have a fragile offense vs. unkillable tanks, it might be time for you to do just that - rethink your strategy. 3v3 gives you plenty of room to shake things up and try new strategies, which is what you request for fleet battles.

• There is always going to be fans of 5v5 and 3v3, sometimes both. There will always be disagreement on the forums if someone posts about not liking 5v5 or 3v3. A while ago I see someone suggest being able to choose the game mode which would be a nice idea so that everyone gets what they wants but probably not feasible to code (I’m not a computer programmer not sure what’s envolved). Personally I don’t like 3v3 but wouldn’t suggest denying people the opportunity to play 3v3 just based on my opinion.
  • HK22
    644 posts Member
    I personally am not a fan of 3v3 and would be glad if it never came back. However, I realize there are players that enjoy the game mode and they should be given the opportunity to enjoy it just as I was given the opportunity to enjoy fleets in GAC. You will never be able to please the entire playerbase with GAC types so rotating the types makes sense so that players will eventually be able to enjoy a type they enjoy whether it be vanilla 5v5, 5v5 Fleets, or 3v3 Fleets.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    My first thought when I saw 3v3 was back was "oh no I don't like this. I'm in a groove with 5v5 and I don't remember my 3v3 teams, plus there's new toons and teams. Ugh." Then I spent a little time with some research, and some time analyzing my own roster, and figured out what I wanted to use and where. And that's fun, especially when I put it into play and it's working. Variety is nice. I've enjoyed this GAC. I'll enjoy going back to 5v5.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Not a big fan of 3v3, but it is what it is.
    I do really like the idea of having the format change each week of the tournament.

I think my biggest issue with 3v3 is that it’s a total shift in mindset from the 5v5 that we use everywhere else. That’s a problem (for me anyway) because:
    -I don’t always have the time to get engaged in it before the event starts (so often I’m left just guessing at what to set for my first opponent or 2)
    -I don’t remember when the last 3v3 we had was, but based on my squad templates it was quite awhile ago as almost everything I had set from last time was changed.

If it was going to be a part of each GAC tournament it would make more sense and would be worth the time investment to prep for it - and not all of the previous effort put in would be wasted. It would just naturally evolve each tournament as 5v5 does for GAC and TW.

As it stands now, a single GAC every few months just isn’t often enough to get me engaged in the mode.
  • TVF wrote: »
    My first thought when I saw 3v3 was back was "oh no I don't like this. I'm in a groove with 5v5 and I don't remember my 3v3 teams, plus there's new toons and teams. Ugh." Then I spent a little time with some research, and some time analyzing my own roster, and figured out what I wanted to use and where. And that's fun, especially when I put it into play and it's working. Variety is nice. I've enjoyed this GAC. I'll enjoy going back to 5v5.

Pretty much what I said above with a different spin. I had the same initial reaction but not the time to “dig in” until week 1 was nearly over. Now towards the end I’m in the groove and it’s fine.

A 3v3 week during each tournament would help with that as the strategy used from the last 3v3 wouldn’t be totally useless.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Pretty much what I said above with a different spin. I had the same initial reaction but not the time to “dig in” until week 1 was nearly over. Now towards the end I’m in the groove and it’s fine.

A 3v3 week during each tournament would help with that as the strategy used from the last 3v3 wouldn’t be totally useless.

Agreed, actually I think it should be two weeks of each.

You could even do four weeks different, one each of 3v3 and 5v5 with ships and no ships.
  • TVF wrote: »

You could even do four weeks different, one each of 3v3 and 5v5 with ships and no ships.

Agreed, would keep it fresh every month and would provide incentive to work on the "6th" member of a team if so inclined.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

Agreed, would keep it fresh every month and would provide incentive to work on the "6th" member of a team if so inclined.

Geonosian brute lol.
  • They should do 10v10 so we could do a royal rumble.
  • They should do 10v10 so we could do a royal rumble.

Sounds like a raid.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    They should do 10v10 so we could do a royal rumble.

In addition to there not being enough screen real estate to support this, it would just be total chaos. Plus it would make certain mechanics go completely bonkers. For example, Darth Revan could fear 10 characters off the bat, instantly taking HK's Assassination off cooldown and allowing you to probably 1-shot any Jedi including tanks.

Regarding the OP, most 3v3 complaints (including this one) boil down to "I'm having trouble adapting and it's making me win less than usual," which really isn't a valid reason to cancel the mode entirely. I had my frustrations with it early on, but I've still managed to make Kyber, and my roster isn't particularly godlike.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• My teams are geared around 5v5 not 3v3. I much prefer the 5v5. I have more teams geared around that with leader synergies ect. I find with 3v3 I’m not using the most of the characters I geared up already and it’s kind of annoying. Also with 3v3 in division 3 I’m going against god mod teams and not saying my mods are **** but when you throw 3 great teams 3v3 when you know you could beat it 5v5 is disheartening. And characters I don’t have (GAS and R7 Grievous or Grievous at all) and having to try to counter them is ridiculous. It should be all relatively the same but it’s not and it makes for a less enjoyable time playing 3v3 vs 5v5. If I never have to see 3v3 again it’ll be too soon
  • Jack1210
    771 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    We just need a single week of 3v3 every month or every other month. It is a nice change, but extended playtime of it makes it annoying and boring. And before people say it's because I struggled, I did not. https://swgoh.gg/p/431528984/gac-history/?gac=5 I was on pace for kyber but forgot to join this last week of it. Dissapointed since I can't brag about it but whoops. Doubtful I would've missed a 5v5, but I guess we'll find out next month
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    They should do 10v10 so we could do a royal rumble.
    Regarding the OP, most 3v3 complaints (including this one) boil down to "I'm having trouble adapting and it's making me win less than usual," which really isn't a valid reason to cancel the mode entirely. I had my frustrations with it early on, but I've still managed to make Kyber, and my roster isn't particularly godlike.

You’re making an assumption that he doesn’t like the mode because he wins less often.

In my case it’s probably the opposite - I win less often because I dislike the mode (don’t care much about it). I suspect that this is the case for others as well.

It’s a weird situation where I actually believe that doing more of what I dislike would be better (as explained above).
  • I don’t mind 3v3 anymore. Had to do some strategizing (and that can ****), but it’s ok now
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    You’re making an assumption that he doesn’t like the mode because he wins less often.

I mean yes, I am assuming that, because that's ultimately what 99% of GA complaints can be traced back to: "I don't like it because I don't win as much as I feel I deserve to."

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• I like 3v3 but then I like improvising and adapting. I've seen some creative and tricky defensive squad compositions this GAC and figuring out how to beat them with what I have available is a good challenge. I don't see anywhere near this level of ingenuity in 5v5.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

I mean yes, I am assuming that, because that's ultimately what 99% of GA complaints can be traced back to: "I don't like it because I don't win as much as I feel I deserve to."

I think you meant to say:
    “I made it up because it fits my narrative this way”.
  • I agree that fleets are getting tedious.. We need a good lightside ship tank like HT and or a new playable ship mode
  • Those that want to try, cool do your thing while keeping the original idea behind GAC still playable.
    The original idea behind GA(C) was to give players a chance to prove their skills.
  • My issue with 3v3 is the same as most who don't care for it, games designed for 5v5, there's even more 6v6 battles in game than 3v3 anywhere.

As others have suggested a rotating system would be better imo, or better yet really change it up and put a 3v3 territory, a 5v5, a 6v6(2 leads perhaps) and a ship territory. Little bit of everything, everyone wins.
  • Anyone who hasn't figured out 3v3s are far less popular than 5v5 hasn't been paying attention or lives under a rock.

Played 4 accounts in the 3v3 this month. Currently in 4kish div2(barely missing kyber, 100ish div6, 8th div8, and 600ish div11(but missed half the month as wasn't 85).

NEVER have I seen so many inactive enemies across all divisions. People just setting defense then not playing or not even setting def.

Ita PAINFULLY obvious that the vast majority of the player base HATES 3v3. Cant go by just the board warriors and sycophantic fanboys on this forum XD

Btw... seeing repeat players over and over across div 2, div6, and div8. Same enemies time and time again, at least 1-2 repeats every month /wave "ian". Sorry "ian". Poor guys faced me 3-4 times now and lost them all. :/ amongst others...
  • Anyone who hasn't figured out 3v3s are far less popular than 5v5 hasn't been paying attention or lives under a rock.

Played 4 accounts in the 3v3 this month. Currently in 4kish div2(barely missing kyber, 100ish div6, 8th div8, and 600ish div11(but missed half the month as wasn't 85).

NEVER have I seen so many inactive enemies across all divisions. People just setting defense then not playing or not even setting def.

Ita PAINFULLY obvious that the vast majority of the player base HATES 3v3. Cant go by just the board warriors and sycophantic fanboys on this forum XD

Btw... seeing repeat players over and over across div 2, div6, and div8. Same enemies time and time again, at least 1-2 repeats every month /wave "ian". Sorry "ian". Poor guys faced me 3-4 times now and lost them all. :/ amongst others...

I will match your anecdotal evidence of lack of engagement with my own anecdotal evidence of more engagement:

More opponents have attacked all of my accounts in this GAC than in the last (5v5) GAC.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • i WAS a fan of 3v3 before relics....
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Anyone who hasn't figured out 3v3s are far less popular than 5v5 hasn't been paying attention or lives under a rock.

It's not popular by me either, but it is ehat ot is and I make it work.

My experience from divisions 1 — 3 is very different from your experience in those lower divisions.
    Ita PAINFULLY obvious that the vast majority of the player base HATES 3v3.

Not really, no.