Requesting an End to All 3v3: Squad and Ships

Replies

• Palanthian wrote: »
    I guess it's just me then! Looks like everyone loves 3v3.

It's not that people "love" it... it's something different from the same copy/paste 5v5 teams for GA.

And before someone counters with "well it's just a different set of copy/paste teams"... yes, but it's something different nonetheless. And I've been more willing to theorycraft when attacking a 3 person team than a 5 person one.

I also acknowledge that relics throw balance out of the window... especially relics on a team like Geos.
  • 3v3 is an abomination and the person who suggested it should be fired. It's just awful, and the game was not designed for it.
  • I enjoy 3v3, mainly with how much more varied the teams are and the increased theorycrafting, instead of using the cookie cutter squads.

I have also seen increased activity in opponents in this GAC than I do normally in 5v5.

One problem I have with 3v3 is that there is not a place to test our teams besides the GAC rounds, not even then for teams we place on defense. While people can try to theorycraft, one does not necessarily know how successful those teams would be and against what.

I know that as I have failed multiple times with trios I tested through this GAC.

If a sandbox mode or other type of made game out that allowed 3v3 squads to be tested then it would be better and players would be able to find uses for the 4th and 5th members of a squad. However, a sandbox mode has been wanted for a long time and I am doubtful this will change.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of 3v3, but it is refreshing and a change.

I agree it doesnt feel like many teams are balanced to work at 3v3, but that is the same for everyone so it opens things up.

I dont want to see it end, if anything to help keep things from getting stale, as they can get in 5v5, why not have a different style each of the 4 weeks every GAC. Not sure what the other 2 would be at this point, so for now 5v5 weeks 1 and 3, then 3v3 weeks 2 and 4.

Well said.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Everything should be the same all the time. Variations are bad.

Also, my favorite color is clear and I love Dane Cook.
    Beyol wrote: »
    I wouldn't even kid about the Dane thing. That's just unspeakable.

I'll bet you a donut that you laughed the first time you heard Dane Cook's act. You also bopped your head to Nickelback.
  • They couldnt run 1 or 2 weeks of 3v3 then 5v5. The week to week transition is supposed to keep matchmaking in line from what I understand. (Ie someone that's won every match should never pair up with someone that hasnt won a single GAC in week 4) switching formats would invalidate previous weeks data.
    Also with promotions your forced to do well nearly every match switching formats could really screw with people's ranks. Not good in 3v3 well there goes kyber.
  • Counterpoint:

I’ve never faced the same 11 3v3 squads throughout this GAC. It’s fresh, challenging, and tests your knowledge of kits beyond the standard synergistic groups of 5 that everyone knows.

And that's why some people don't like GAC. They'd rather just do mindless button mashing over and over with their well-known list of counters. Anything that is the slightest bit challenging or not a guaranteed win for these people is supposedly "bad" for the game, lol.

I'm with you though....5 vs. 5 GAC was getting pretty boring... 3 vs. 3 has been a nice change of pace and required some thought and creativity and given uses to some toons that never see any action in 5 vs. 5.
  • Sorry Palanthian, I have to say that I think 3v3 GAC is a monotony breaker and not a soul stealer. Yes, the game is centered around 5v5 play, but to me, that's the problem with 5v5 play. It becomes a chore of standard go-to teaming and counters that we see in TW all of the time. While there are still a few teams that are kind of automatic for 3v3, for the most, they aren't the same, and it allows players to really experiment and dig deep in their rosters. I think if you've built yourself a lot of very complete 5v5 teams, than you'll have more bias toward that play, but I don't think it's very creative. I think that the challenge of having to think more on your toes makes us better players, and I look forward to seeing what my next enemy has in store for me.
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    They should do 10v10 so we could do a royal rumble.

In addition to there not being enough screen real estate to support this, it would just be total chaos.

Just play it on a tablet so your screen is bigger.
  • Beyol
    328 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

I'll bet you a donut that you laughed the first time you heard Dane Cook's act. You also bopped your head to Nickelback.

No and no.
  • Drathuk916
    628 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    I don’t really see the difference between 3v3 and 5v5. Sure the teams might be marginally different but either version still identifies if you have the meta for the level, is it well geared, and is it well modded? If you answer no to any of that you’re likely not going to enjoy the month of fights.

The problem with gac is matchmaking has way too many variables to make competitive matches the norm. Therefore, 99.99% (only a slight exaggeration) of matches end the way you’d think they would with just a cursory comparison of the two rosters. Theory craft, strategize, hide a squad, all day long, it rarely changes the expected outcome. Cause really if you have the best squad three or five man, you’ll win.

Edit: this obviously changes to do you have more of the meta squads when hitting division 1 but the principal is the same.
  • GAC should be all characters.
    Ships should be separate.
  • I've actually come to like fleet
  • Ive never understood the hatred for fleet. Even if I hated fleet, I’d still invest in it given the rewards. But please keep ignoring it if you’re in my shard
  • I absolutely hate 3v3 GAC. I am not particularly a fan of 5v5 GAC, so when they bring us 3v3, I get a sense of dread come over me right before I enter the Championships area. I just really do not enjoy this mode of game-play. Perhaps I am too stupid to figure out the best way to beat other 3 unit teams, but I really don't do well at it. I usually end up high aurodium, just shy of kyber, so I win as much as I lose - about the same as 5v5 GAC. I always underestimate my opposing teams, and find some way to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory! Lol. Oh, well, I understand that many other people love the mode and the theory-crafting involved, however, I am not one of them! I do know that I am always very happy when the 3v3 season comes to an end!
  • Someone on the first page had an idea that's growing on me--mixed 3v3 and 5v5 territories in the same map. Now that'd be a real challenge.
    NicWester wrote: »

Now, now, now--I never said boo about Nickelback. They're fine. The criticism of them is that they were horrifically overplayed BECAUSE they're fine. It's worse if you're Canadian, since they were Can Con you could play on every station.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • All this for a different game mode... the majority of the player base agrees that all modes are stale, change things up, it’s horrible... ridiculous...

3 v 3 is far and away a lot easier than anything at the moment, this whole idea of strategy and synergy is just rubbish... try this... place rubbish defence, with mostly B & C teams (with AOE, DOT, TD synergy) keep all A and S teams for offence and go smash mouth...

3 v 3 is a lot more creative and also a lot easier. Try a solo malak Vs a Nute, Dooku, nest team... and win. Try a Thrawn lead with DN and C3P0 against a EP Malak + 1 team and win...

(Props to black Mamba for the Thrawn team, it’s boss)
  • I enjoy GAC regardless of it 5v5 or 3v3. I've found 3v3 very interesting because it offers a wider chance for creative theorycrafting.
  • I love 3v3
  • NEVER have I seen so many inactive enemies across all divisions. People just setting defense then not playing or not even setting def.

I haven't encountered a single inactive player in this championship so far.
    Ita PAINFULLY obvious that the vast majority of the player base HATES 3v3.

No. I think you're imagining this, due to your personal bias.
  • Fully agree with OP!!!
    Swiss Garde Officer, drop me a message if you're interested joining
  • Ephran wrote: »
    I'm FTP and I based all my team building around 5 man teams and I simply don't have the resources to make enough 3 man squads for GAC. It's just frustrating.

What division are you in? I'm setting the same amount of characters in 3v3 as I do in 5v5. Unless you're saying that you only worked on 5 toons from each division to create one team, in which case.... How do you handle characters with multiple tags, like Vader and EP? Or C3PO or R2?

I don't have any idea what your second question is asking. When you have 3 teams like Geos, Ewoks and Phoenix, you can only make 3 remotely useable teams with them, whether that's 3 man or 5 man, I can't suddenly make 5 3v3 squads from the exact same number of characters that I could make 3 5v5 squads, regardless of how good those teams actually are.
  • cannonfodder_iv
    992 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Ephran wrote: »
    I'm FTP and I based all my team building around 5 man teams and I simply don't have the resources to make enough 3 man squads for GAC. It's just frustrating.

What division are you in? I'm setting the same amount of characters in 3v3 as I do in 5v5. Unless you're saying that you only worked on 5 toons from each division to create one team, in which case.... How do you handle characters with multiple tags, like Vader and EP? Or C3PO or R2?

I don't have any idea what your second question is asking. When you have 3 teams like Geos, Ewoks and Phoenix, you can only make 3 remotely useable teams with them, whether that's 3 man or 5 man, I can't suddenly make 5 3v3 squads from the exact same number of characters that I could make 3 5v5 squads, regardless of how good those teams actually are.

Phoenix has six in it, so you could make two teams. I know there's only one lead, but all of them are Rebels, so you could team two of them up with a leftover rebel lead. Two of them are jedi, so you could team them up with another Jedi lead. One of them is a droid, so you could leverage a droid synergy.

Edit: Poggle has a great droid lead, so throw him in with Chopper and a leftover droid from your GG team and you just made some lemonade.

This is the point of 3v3. The lack of a prescribed five for a faction means things CAN get a lot more interesting. I find 3v3 more of a puzzle to figure out and 5v5 more just preparation (farming / gearing / modding).

Also, that sixth faction character becomes important from a roster building perspective. A lot of people have five viable BH for Chewy but never bothered with a sixth. Resistance has two viable leads, but depending on when you started there's never been a good reason to have six geared resistance. Etc. Etc.

It's a nice break. It would get boring if we did the same thing all the time. Variety is a good thing.

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Enas_Yorl wrote: »
    I dislike 3vs3 as it requires severe remodding to fully strategize the 3 toon mode.

I disagree, in fact it rewards mod depth.

I am 11-0, #20 in Kyber Div 1.

Have not touched my mods.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I've enjoyed the 3v3 experience, again.
    I lost my opening 2, while figuring it all out again but have won the next 9 and made Kyber, so my bias is just that.
    However, it would be good for more 3v3 modes so everyone can practice more often.
    As for scrapping it, nah, it's all good fun, if you give it a go...
  • TVF wrote: »
    I dislike 3vs3 as it requires severe remodding to fully strategize the 3 toon mode.

Agree

11-0 and Kyber Div 3.

No GAG-driven remodding.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Agree

11-0 and Kyber Div 3.

No GAG-driven remodding.

Missed round 4 (whoops) but went 8-1 with a loss to a very well built roster and looking at the battle logs, a very smart player as well. I'm not saying I haven't touched mods at all, but nothing has been modded different for this GAC. Yes, maybe there are some niche situations that could utilize different mods, but more or less if the toon is modded properly for 5v5, it is for 3v3.
  • Ephran wrote: »

Also, that sixth faction character becomes important from a roster building perspective. A lot of people have five viable BH for Chewy but never bothered with a sixth. Resistance has two viable leads, but depending on when you started there's never been a good reason to have six geared resistance. Etc. Etc.

Saying Phoenix has 2 3v3 teams is just laughable. As for this argument, you're saying that people who built a 5 man faction they don't like to unlock a legendary character is suddenly penalized for not building ever single character in the larger faction.