At what point is it called whaling?

Prev13
So I spend 50 - 75$ a month on swgoh. I’m catching up so I have an excuse lol. The question is at what point is the classification given for whaling? I would put myself as a swordfish maybe? 😂
This post is mostly meant for humor so nobody get upset but keep it funny. Also share what you spend and what aquatic classification you call yourself

Replies

• Plankton here.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    It's whaling when you beat someone because they're not as good as you, but they don't like it so they have to find a reason why losing isn't their fault.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Use this. Be a whale. bthuc624m6y9.png
  • Prob 10K total spend
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    When a new character or event is being released non-whales think "How/What do I need to participate?", whales think "How/What do I need to spend to win?"

ETA: OP, no offense, but $50-$75 a month isn't really even "dolphin" by this game's standards. Maybe add a zero - two for whale.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I want to be a sea anemone. How do I do that?
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    I want to be a sea anemone. How do I do that?

Give your money to a whale
  • Just added up my purchases and I've spent $70.37 on this game since I started(Jan 2017 according to Google Play achievements) and $54.29 of that has been free Google Play credit... Means I've spent approx. $5 per year on it. I guess that makes me a trout or something?
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    What I always wonder about the guys burning hundreds every month is like, at a certain point you must have so much stuff stockpiled that you could just stay at the top without spending by judiciously using your crystals to bring up new teams quickly and just collect your payouts otherwise. But they don't do that because they want a relic'd CUP for some reason.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    Whales - buy vaults on occasion and pull packs to 7* new chars. Sometimes not competitive. Whales buy everything. (200+ a month)

Sharks- buy less vaults but they do farm new chars through shipments. Always competitive, top of arenas, and are usually officers in a guild. Sharks will buy packs if it suits their needs or has good value. (50-100)

Dolphins- Never buy vaults (Unless “on sale”). Farm char shards from nodes, but might buy the first 19.99$ shard pack. Dolphins will buy packs “with value”. (20-50)

Tuna- Rarely buy anything. But at times will drop 20-100 bucks. (20-200/year)

Based on this, im a dolphin... Kinda (the per month spend category definitely dolphin)
    I have bought vaults, but make them last 3 months as I use them solely for energy refreshes (to put less stress on arenas and so make the slow grinds a little less slow) and the rare gear pieces (like today bought the final 25 salvage of echo's finisher so he can be relic before the tw lockout), farm characters from nodes, and usually buy these under $20 gear and salvage packs. Have bought like 2 character packs ever (Nest and Jango). My biggest expenditure ever for an event was $65 g12+ pack to push Droideka to relic level to get Ga$.
  • All these arbitrary limits aside ... when a whale wants something in the game and it can be purchased, they buy it. A whale wants all the new stuff before the shine wears off so that means they buy most of it. If you don't buy all the new shinies then you aren't a whale, but you can call yourself some other type of marine animal if that makes you feel better about your spending habits. The only thing that really stops a whale's progress is refresh limits.
    It is futile to assign a specific monetary limit to what makes a whale, they just do what whales do: feed when they are hungry, and they are always hungry when the catch is fresh.
  • Let’s not forget about the krakens.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Let’s not forget about the krakens.

Why won't somebody please think of the krakens!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I don't know when you become a whale but I have learned that if you do whale on stuff and then stop spending you become FTP again.
  • Stokat wrote: »
    I don't know when you become a whale but I have learned that if you do whale on stuff and then stop spending you become FTP again.
    You mean it's not like The Old Republic where once you pay for it one time, you're status can't drop below "Preferred"? lol

• When you shoot a harpoon off of a Japanese whaling ship and while doing so you have to out-maneuver the whale whores people from the Discovery Channel and then... wait... are we talking about something else?
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • Free to play - $0 a year
    Minnow - $1-100 a year
    Dolphin - $100-1000 a year
    Whale - $1000-10,000 a year
    Kraken - +$10,000 a year
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Free to play - $0 a year
    Minnow - $1-100 a year
    Kraken - +$10,000 a year

Replace year with total spending in lifetime
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    This reminds me of the spoiler timeframe discussion. There's no correct answer, it's all arbitrary.
  • TVF wrote: »
    This reminds me of the spoiler timeframe discussion. There's no correct answer, it's all arbitrary.

I think this is true for the dollar amount figures, but I think this sums up the main point of what a whale/kraken/marine animal representation of a large spender is:
    All these arbitrary limits aside ... when a whale wants something in the game and it can be purchased, they buy it. A whale wants all the new stuff before the shine wears off so that means they buy most of it. If you don't buy all the new shinies then you aren't a whale, but you can call yourself some other type of marine animal if that makes you feel better about your spending habits. The only thing that really stops a whale's progress is refresh limits.
    It is futile to assign a specific monetary limit to what makes a whale, they just do what whales do: feed when they are hungry, and they are always hungry when the catch is fresh.

Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Free to play - $0 a year
    Minnow - $1-100 a year
    Kraken - +$10,000 a year
    I'm a Piranha which is like a Minnow but with sharp teeth. :D
  • jfears2
    185 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    I think this is true for the dollar amount figures, but I think this sums up the main point of what a whale/kraken/marine animal representation of a large spender is

I like the idea of calling one of them marine animal representation... has a nice ring to it.

What do you call someone who spent $10 on the game the first week they played like 3 years ago and then never again? Because that was me.
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    jfears2 wrote: »
    I think this is true for the dollar amount figures, but I think this sums up the main point of what a whale/kraken/marine animal representation of a large spender is

I like the idea of calling one of them marine animal representation... has a nice ring to it.

What do you call someone who spent $10 on the game the first week they played like 3 years ago and then never again? Because that was me.

ftp -1
  • When your parents or your spouse cancels your credit card, that's when you start wailing.
  • #savethekrakens
  • jfears2 wrote: »

A not-Edward-fish ?
  • Me!

6k8xu2mnugko.jpg
  • lol, these are too funny. I’m basically a 9438i30dxq46.jpeg