At what point is it called whaling?

Replies

• TVF wrote: »
    This reminds me of the spoiler timeframe discussion. There's no correct answer, it's all arbitrary.

How does this not have a million likes and people agreeing with it. This whole thing is just stupid.

Whale = loser gamer talk for GOOD CUSTOMER

Everything else is equivalent to worse and worse customer. Kraken is a rum.
  • Think carrie said $4-5k a year as a start
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Think carrie said $4-5k a year as a start

This has been widely misrepresented.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Tell any non-gamer friend how much you spent on a game on your phone and gauge their reaction:

* Disinterest - FTP
    * Disapproval - Minnow
    * Disbelief - Dolphin
    * Alarm - Whale
    * Laughing, slowly dawning on horror as they realize you're serious - Kraken
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
  • CEG9876 wrote: »
    So I spend 50 - 75$ a month on swgoh. I’m catching up so I have an excuse lol. The question is at what point is the classification given for whaling? I would put myself as a swordfish maybe? 😂
    This post is mostly meant for humor so nobody get upset but keep it funny. Also share what you spend and what aquatic classification you call yourself

People are going to have some pretty judgemental responses, but realistically speaking it's only "whaling" if you're spending money you shouldn't. If you make $100k a year and spend $1k on a video game it's not a big deal. If you make $10k a year and spend $1k on a video game, it is.

I've been playing for four years now and have probably spent about $300, total.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Think carrie said $4-5k a year as a start

No she didn't.
  • If you have a direct line of contact to the devs, you’re a whale.

If you have never spent one thin dime on the game, you’re a F2P.

Everything else is somewhere on a sliding scale between light spender to spender to heavy spender.

And none of it matters. The only thing that actually matters is whether or not you’re happy with your monetary investment, and if you’re having fun playing.
  • People who burn money to light cigars are whales.
  • jfears2
    185 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Damodamo wrote: »
    jfears2 wrote: »
    I think this is true for the dollar amount figures, but I think this sums up the main point of what a whale/kraken/marine animal representation of a large spender is

I like the idea of calling one of them marine animal representation... has a nice ring to it.

What do you call someone who spent $10 on the game the first week they played like 3 years ago and then never again? Because that was me.
    A not-Edward-fish ?

@Damodamo This is my favorite so far haha :sweat_smile:
    You can probably assume the majority of what I post is sarcasm, feel free to skip and move along rather than reading...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm a jellyfish because i mostly mention my f2p status to annoy people.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • i play the game since almost release, totally i spend probably not more than 80 or 100 bucks, so from spending view i'm a shrimp or something like that :-)
    And to be completely honest, i stopped spending any money at all on this game since almost 1.5 years, and CG did fully confirm my feeling to stop spending.
    Since then i'm completely f2p, and it feels really good :-)
    Swiss Garde Officer, drop me a message if you're interested joining
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Use this. Be a whale. bthuc624m6y9.png

You spelled “Galaxy of Hoarders” wrong.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I'm not toxic?

Disagree.

You can't disagree with a question?

I disagree.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    People who burn money to light cigars are whales.

My ears are burning.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • @jfears2 your welcome, I was fairly proud of that one myself :)

• Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    People who burn money to light cigars are whales.

I use money to clean myself.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    edited January 2020

“People are going to have some pretty judgemental responses, but realistically speaking it's only "whaling" if you're spending money you shouldn't. If you make $100k a year and spend $1k on a video game it's not a big deal. If you make $10k a year and spend $1k on a video game, it is.

I've been playing for four years now and have probably spent about $300, total.”[/quote]

This disturbs me. I think spending $1k on a mobile game is a big deal no matter what you make, and I make enough to fall into your “not a big deal” category. It’s just dumb to spend that kind of money on a mobile game, and this one in particular. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve spent money on dumb stuff before, but spending thousands on this game is extremely dumb. It’s the kind of action I expect from people who got rich easily, and will soon be poor, because they have no self control or value system. Just my two cents. Don’t mean to offend anyone, even though I’m sure I’ll get some self righteous responses.

*edit. Sorry I messed up the quote. Was trying to trim the quote down for viewing comfort.
  • Ltswb1 wrote: »
    It’s just dumb to spend that kind of money on a mobile game, and this one in particular.

Eh. If you can afford it then do it. Life’s short, if you’re not hurting anyone then knock yourself out. If you got hit by a bus tomorrow then the money you didn’t spend on whatever is basically wasted.

You could spend 1% of your money on a video game or you could buy a pair of limited edition sneakers. It’s all the same.
    Dumb rich people usually don’t stay rich for long.

That sounds like it should be true, but a)It's more of a feel good message for people who are conservative spenders and b)that doesn't really have to do with this game. If someone is truly rich, the not likely going broke over SWGOH.

People whale out on games because they can and it gives you an advantage over the competition. Whether it put them in a bad spot financially or not is a whole other topic that goes into addiction and other heavier things that probably shouldn't be talked about in this topic that is supposed to be more of a light hearted/funny one.

You know the appeal of whaling. You just don't personally agree with the it.
  • “Because they can and because it gives them an advantage over the competition”

Lol. That’s worth $1000 a year?

“Because they can” doesn’t even merit a response. It’s gibberish.

So let’s talk about the second part. “Gives them advantage over the competition”. How does that fall into any context of skill, luck, fun, or accomplishment? It’s a junk size contest as I mentioned before. “My wallet is bigger than yours, so I’m better”. And what advantage does it really accomplish? They get bugged characters geared up a little faster than someone else. That sounds worth $1000 to me! 😂
  • It’s like playing board/video games with your friends. If I walked in and said “Hey, I know y’all are all better/smarter then me, so I’m going to pay $100 to make sure I win”, then what did I really accomplish? I’m supposed to find that appealing or be proud of it?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Would you buy a vault of crystals for 1 cent if you had the option? Or better yet, would you consider buying a vault for 1 cent if you had the option?
    That's the appeal of whaling, that you had to think about it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Its whaling when the Sea Shepard shows up and tells you to stop.
    “Because they can and because it gives them an advantage over the competition”

Lol. That’s worth $1000 a year?

“Because they can” doesn’t even merit a response. It’s gibberish.

So let’s talk about the second part. “Gives them advantage over the competition”. How does that fall into any context of skill, luck, fun, or accomplishment? It’s a junk size contest as I mentioned before. “My wallet is bigger than yours, so I’m better”. And what advantage does it really accomplish? They get bugged characters geared up a little faster than someone else. That sounds worth $1000 to me! 😂

Value is subjective. Winning means a lot more to some than others. Also, $1000 per year can be like spare change to some. Maybe you could find something that's better (in your opinion) to put that $1000 per year towards, but maybe $1000 per year falls within another person's entertainment budget. It's not really your place to judge spending habits of someone you don't know. :shrug:

FWIW, I don't like the pay-to-win model, but unfortunately that's the foundation of most "free to play" games(it's how they make money). That's just something you have to accept exists. You can't be mad at people who take advantage of a mechanic that is intended to be used.
  • TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    Whales - buy vaults on occasion and pull packs to 7* new chars. Sometimes not competitive. Whales buy everything. (200+ a month)

Sharks- buy less vaults but they do farm new chars through shipments. Always competitive, top of arenas, and are usually officers in a guild. Sharks will buy packs if it suits their needs or has good value. (50-100)

Dolphins- Never buy vaults (Unless “on sale”). Farm char shards from nodes, but might buy the first 19.99$ shard pack. Dolphins will buy packs “with value”. (20-50)

Tuna- Rarely buy anything. But at times will drop 20-100 bucks. (20-200/year)

Call me Big Tuna.
  • The real answer: a whale becomes a whale when they hate themselves for their habit, but keep on whaling nonetheless

A kraken has more money than they know what to do with
  • The real answer: a whale becomes a whale when they hate themselves for their habit, but keep on whaling nonetheless

A kraken has more money than they know what to do with

Hating yourself does not make you a whale in this or any other context.