Thrawn and Ezra survived the ending of Rebels spoilers of the books

I just finished reading Thrawn Treason. Best of the 3, imho. The books started the wheels turning a bit. The Thrawn from Rebels doesn't seem to be as competent as in the books. I recently found out that Dave Filoni and Timothy Zahn have said that both Thrawn and Ezra survived the Purrgil taking them into hyperspace. So the next part will contain parts from the books, which if you haven't read, would be contain spoilers for them.
We all know Thrawn is intelligent and can figure out battle strategy from art work. In Thrawn Alliance he was able to deduce that Vader was Anakin. Though Vader denied it and told Thrawn to never speak of the Jedi again. Thrawn also figured out about project stardust with the help of Eli Vanto by following the supply lines. In Thrawn Treason, he discovers that a fellow grand admiral is guilty of treason, laying out an entire battle plan for Commodore Faro to follow to defeat Grand Admiral Savit, in spite of being at a 3 to 1 star destroyer disadvantage.
My next point has to do with second and third sight, which the Chiss use those gifted with it to navigate through hyperspace. Basically, these young girls have a force sensitivity. It is a guarded secret among the Ascendancy.
My theory as to why Thrawn is not as formidable of a foe to Phoenix squadron is that it was designed that way by Thrawn. I doubt that Thrawn would forget to do his research and discover all the secrets that could be learned before engaging Ezra or Kanan. I would like to believe that Thrawn dug into the history of the Jedi and order 66 and was able to figure out what happened and who Palpatine truly was. The final chapter of Treason has Palpatine ordering Thrawn back to Coruscant to question him about possibly being a traitor himself. Being executed didn't help the Chiss fight the Grysk, and for other obvious reasons, Thrawn didn't want to die. Since a tactic used by Savit in Treason was to make freighters for stardust disappear with jumps to hyperspace and blame the accidents on grallocs, I think that Thrawn was setting up to leave the service of the Emperor, due to Palpatines order. I think that Thrawn was able to convince Ezra to pilot the Chimera through hyperspace, just like a Chiss navigator (also Vader did it too in Alliances) and the two of them disappeared into the unknown regions. Thrawn did send Eli Vanto and Assistant Director Ronan to the Ascendancy. I think Thrawn would see the usefulness in having a Jedi to fight the Grysk and would attempt to utilize Ezra for this purpose.

Just my theory on why Thrawn wasn't as formidable in Rebels as he usually is in the books. I haven't really refined the details a lot, but it is one possibility.

Replies

• Loved those books.

That's a great theory. I would be 100% down to see that played out.
  • Loved those books.

Thank you. The Rebels Thrawn didn't seem right to me. I did stumble across a comment about new books being a possibility, not sure if it was a comment from Zahn personally, or fan speculation.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    So the spoiler is.....in the title of the thread?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Loved those books.

Thank you. The Rebels Thrawn didn't seem right to me. I did stumble across a comment about new books being a possibility, not sure if it was a comment from Zahn personally, or fan speculation.

No you are right. The new books will focus on his time before the Empire in the Ascendancy. Sounds interesting.
  • TVF wrote: »

Lol. OP doesn't want to give away the story of the books.
  • TVF wrote: »

No, there are details in my post from the books. I figured use I would use the spoiler feature because there always seems to be that one person out there who complains about it.
  • Loved those books.

No you are right. The new books will focus on his time before the Empire in the Ascendancy. Sounds interesting.

That would be interesting and give some more background to the character, though I would think that post Rebels would be more interesting.
  • Likewise. However
    Rumors are that Filonis new show is centered on Ahsoka. Which leads me to believe we’re going to see her and Sabine go find Ezra and Thrawn.
  • Likewise. However
    Rumors are that Filonis new show is centered on Ahsoka. Which leads me to believe we’re going to see her and Sabine go find Ezra and Thrawn.

Now that is interesting. I want to see that. Is it supposed to be animated?
  • Likewise. However

Yes.
  • Likewise. However

Yes.

I am hoping for a live action Thrawn movie.
  • Well, thanks for posting that spoiler IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD lol oh bother
  • FRAAMC wrote: »
    Well, thanks for posting that spoiler IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD lol oh bother

I don't think it qualifies as a spoiler, since nothing canon has actually shown it to be true.
  • Do the books say anything about what happened with Ahsoka Tano?

Not even mentioned, like all the Jedi traitors.

How is she a traitor? The wise jedi council couldn't even use the force to look into her heart to see if she had set the bomb. Then when they find out, they're like, "we'll, you know... Stuff happens. But come back and hang with us..."

She would have been a fool to go back after that. And she probably would have been killed during Order 66.

How is she a traitor? The wise jedi council couldn't even use the force to look into her heart to see if she had set the bomb. Then when they find out, they're like, "we'll, you know... Stuff happens. But come back and hang with us..."

She would have been a fool to go back after that. And she probably would have been killed during Order 66.

The official Imperial story is that the Jedi were plotting to overthrow the Emperor. It gave him an excuse to wipe them out. All of them. I do agree with what you said, but remember, the galaxy was conditioned to hate or forget the Jedi. Not many beings would dare dig into their fall.

This novel has quite a lot to say about Ahsoka after she left the Jedi order
    500?cb=20160715164545

This novel has quite a lot to say about Ahsoka after she left the Jedi order
    500?cb=20160715164545

I'm having trouble finding this novel where I live. But I'm more interested in what happens to her after she and sabine meet in the temple until she appears as a voice in Reys head.