So just got into the game

Prev1
Wish I knew about this game a long time ago but it is what it is. So far i fill thisbgane is very fair in getting energy, credits, and leveling up. I'm sure it will drop off quickly though. But my one and only complaint as a F2P person is the shards from missions being random. It sucks when your trying to get a character but you only get 1 shard or no shards before you do the max amount of missions. The game already slow you down with the energy consumption so why make them random or a pretty low chance? It's really the only thing kind of putting me off of the game. Besides that, the deals and what you buy are pretty fair as well, expensive but you do get a lot of stuff.

I guess my next question is how should I be leveling? Should I put time into my starting characters or save my credits and training droids for later? What can I do to make the grind a little more tolerable?

Replies

• A good place to start is by getting and maxing out Phoenix Squad. Unless you're buying the Hyperdrive bundle and then I'm unsure since it unlocks so much.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Turn around, run away, delete the game and honestly don’t turn into one of us...

Actually, one of us, one of us..
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Early on it's a sprint to reach level 85 faster than your opponents in arenas. Doing all daily challenges gives you extra bonus experience points to level up faster.
    Buying energy refreshes to burn more energy and level up faster.

In general until you're sure to have a large surplus of credits, only level up characters, that you're sure you will use/need in the near future. Always keep your arena team on max. level.

Phoenix are still often the first team to focus on. It benefits from also being rebels (they unlock EP as well as Thrawn) and two of them are jedi as well (used to unlock Grand Master Yoda).

The drop rate for character shards is 33%. There's nothing you can do to change that. If you want to farm them faster, buy more energy refreshes.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Make use of the journey guide in game. It informs you of all the characters you will need to get to unlock some of the powerful characters in game. If you are truly going to be FTP it will be challenging at times so my advice is unlock the characters you love the most and just have fun.
  • Yutterh
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    My gosh the drop rate is 33%? Jeez I must have some bad luck lmao

Yeah seems I just need to be patient and work on Daily's. Thanks for the tips guys.
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    Turn around, run away, delete the game and honestly don’t turn into one of us...

THIS.

So this.

Don't get started, its a trap, all a very bad trap.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Damodamo wrote: »
    Turn around, run away, delete the game and honestly don’t turn into one of us...

THIS.

So this.

Don't get started, its a trap, all a very bad trap.

Nah. Just refuse to open your wallet, and quit when it stops being fun.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Also, if you aren't already in a real guild, do so as soon as possible. If you're lucky enough, find one with raids on farm. It's a "players market" as far as recruiting goes so use that to your advantage.
  • Getting 1 character to 7* and joining a guild that’s doing both Heroic Rancor and Heroic Tank Raids = one of the best early moves. You need to post a score, even 1 point of damage! But then can slowly unlock Raid Han and General Kenobi both of who are really useful!

The best F2P “early” squad = Phoenix. This is because they can unlock EP, Thrawn and have 2 Jedi to help unlock GMYoda. Additionally they are mostly in non-competing farm areas/stores.
    Once they are good enough to unlock 7* Thrawn they become much less useful and really only have a place for their ships and Ezra in a Jedi lineup.

You also need to think about building a Darkside team —> Empire makes the most sense, as it unlocks R2D2 (needed for Commander Luke), plus Phoenix should get you 2 Empire (Palpatine and Thrawn)

The third “team“ to build = scoundrels for the credit and training heists —> i would suggest Bounty Hunters e.g. Boba Fett, Cad Bane and IG88 (all are pilots....) and Dengar once you start getting Guild Currency from a guild running raids. If you start Dengar early you will be in a great position to unlock Legendary Chewie later on.
  • Shadowscream
    968 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    TL:DR
    1. Get a 7* character and join a guild doing Heroic Tank and Rancor
    2. Phoenix until about Gear 8
    3. Empire - Tarkin, TFP, Vader (and Range Trooper) = good early choices
    4. Bounty Hunter - Boba, IG88, Cad Bane (Pilots) + Dengar AND then Bossk once you reach that node.
  • Thanks for the info, I'll farm Phoenix squad and look for a good guild.

Have another question. Are the chromium mega packs worth it? Was thinking of saving Crystal's for one, but knowing my luck I would get screwed over and get a bunch of characters I dont like or dont need. Was thinking of taking the first order pack instead. Hopefully I get lucky and get 330 kylo Ren with helmet XD
  • Yutterh wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'll farm Phoenix squad and look for a good guild.

Have another question. Are the chromium mega packs worth it? Was thinking of saving Crystal's for one, but knowing my luck I would get screwed over and get a bunch of characters I dont like or dont need. Was thinking of taking the first order pack instead. Hopefully I get lucky and get 330 kylo Ren with helmet XD

Kylo without helmet is better than Kylo with. Do NOT EVER buy one of the 5-330 packs. Don't do that. Seriously, that's just a massive waste of money. Don't do it.

You CAN buy the chromium packs if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, just buy energy and refresh nodes, it will boost you far more than anything else in a safe way.

Also, if you want, you can ignore Phoenix and instead go for Separatists if you're feeling daring. The Separatists are far more viable later in the game and unlock Padme as well as maintaining an amazing arena team, whereas Phoenix falls by the wayside as the game passes.
  • Are ally points used for anything besides bronzium packs?
  • at lvl 85 theres weekly shipments. Some gear/ability upgrade mat at 50k-150k.
    Not worth it. bronzium packs is better
  • Sweet thanks for the info
  • Yutterh
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Kind of just got upset. So I was in one of the beginner guilds, we were doing a raid and I was number one. When I completed some random quest and got promoted to the next guild. So now I won't get any of the rewards. Which sucks because I highly doubt I will be in the top 3 again. *sighs* oh well but kind of annoying.
    Post edited by Yutterh on
  • Yutterh
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    So game felt bad for me and gave me ashoka tango from a bronzium pack lol so I'm happy again. But now I have a question. Is she worth investing into?

Edit: also forgot to ask about jedi counselor and talia. Are they good to invest into? Right now they are my main healers but not sure if I should keep upgrading.

Edit 2: thinking of getting the hyperspace pack. Not really excited about spending $100 but I will probably wait a month or two and se eit I'm still into the game. Would it be a bad idea to get it a couple months down the line?
  • Ahsoka is worth investing in, she's great in a Galactic Republic lineup late game.

Jedi Counselor and Talia aren't really worth gearing. You CAN gear Talia, but she's non-essential and personally I wouldn't invest.

Hyperdrive Bundle is a really, really good deal. Definitely worth it and worth more the earlier you get it, but also it IS a big purchase and you should probably wait until you're sure you want to invest in the game like that. Reminder that this bundle is one of the only ones in the game that is actually worth it. If you buy it, you won't NEED to spend much more on anything else if you follow advice and play smart.
  • Yutterh
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    I really do wish they would drop the price on some of these packs. I would be spending a lot more money if they did. Example the jedi starter pack I would definitely pay 5 bucks and the rancor I would pay ten. I already picked up the $5 light and dark side packs. Even though I knew the light side would be a waste but I tried it anyways cause come on it's $5 lol but getting dooku was game changer. Hyper space I would definitely not have even batted a eye lash and got it if it was $50 dollars. The price of a full game, justifiably. Would most likely probably budget to $25 a month if I was able to pick up multiple packs. But by golly these prices are ridiculous - end rant
  • I meant to ask this question instead of rant lol

So far in have really no dark side users. Been focused on light side going for QGJ and the Phoenix squad. So for the ones I do have are they good investing into.

Count Dooku - should be obvious, just listing for completion sake

Talia - already answered but just leaving for completion sake as well.

Tie fighter pilot

Royal guard

Imperial super commando

The other is snow trooper which I dropped for the super commando. So not worried about him. Of course once I get thrawn and pals I'll redo my dark side list, but just curious if I should waste anything on them and what gear and star rank should I at least get them to so they can help with dark side battles.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Yutterh wrote: »
    Kind of just got upset. So I was in one of the beginner guilds, we were doing a raid and I was number one. When I completed some random quest and got promoted to the next guild.

You should find a real guild ASAP. As soon as you get your first character to 7* you should find a guild that does Rancor raids at heroic level and preferably also the AAT raid.
    So game felt bad for me and gave me ashoka tango from a bronzium pack lol so I'm happy again. But now I have a question. Is she worth investing into?

Edit: also forgot to ask about jedi counselor and talia. Are they good to invest into? Right now they are my main healers but not sure if I should keep upgrading.

Edit 2: thinking of getting the hyperspace pack. Not really excited about spending $100 but I will probably wait a month or two and se eit I'm still into the game. Would it be a bad idea to get it a couple months down the line?

Ahsoka and JC are OK, but probably shouldn't be your highest priorities right away. JC will only help you in early game. Ahsoka and JC's ships are OK. Talia has her uses when you collect a Nightsisters team.

Hyperdrive bundle:
    If you decide to buy it, you might as well start over, and then buy it straight away.

I would recommend farming Boba Fett instead of QGJ. You will need scoundrels for credit heists, and bounty hunters and their ships later.

Count Dooku will be great later, but I'd recommend to farm an empire team before Dooku (Palpatine, Vader, Thrawn + 2).

TFP is OK, but farming him will interfere with farming Phoenix and Old Ben (or old republic).

RG and ISC are less useful. Both are pilots, though. Snowtroopers can be taken to 7* entirely by opening bronzium packs. Only farm him to speed up.
  • As much as I want the hyperspace bundle. I actual enjoy the grind and getting my team slowly. The only issue and the only thing really pushing me is the rank including hyperspace bundle people. That to me was a huge oversight. Definitely shouldn't have been done. But hey, if it pushes people to buy the bundle I see why they did it.
  • Yutterh wrote: »
    As much as I want the hyperspace bundle. I actual enjoy the grind and getting my team slowly. The only issue and the only thing really pushing me is the rank including hyperspace bundle people. That to me was a huge oversight. Definitely shouldn't have been done. But hey, if it pushes people to buy the bundle I see why they did it.

Indeed, it's going to be really difficult, nigh-impossible, to compete properly with those who do purchase until the late game. They have approximately a years-worth of work up on you. The early game is really fun though, sometimes I do miss it because it was quite fun so I definitely understand the desire to stay within that.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1231 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    My gosh the drop rate is 33%? Jeez I must have some bad luck lmao

Yeah seems I just need to be patient and work on Daily's. Thanks for the tips guys.

I know it sounds like a pretty high chance, but it means you'll typically get 1-2 shards for 5 attempts. Almost half the time it's only one. The chance to get zero shards for 5 sims is approx. 13% (0.6666 multiplied by itself 4 times x 100), so it's bound to happen almost once a week on every node you're farming. And every time you're going to think "Not again! This always happens to me" because that's the way the human mind works.
  • Just want to say thank you to everyone who has replied. Glad this forum has people that actually want to help.
  • The SWGOH community is pretty large. There’s a ton of YouTube and discord channels for people of all levels. My interest and success in the game increased as I got better looking at all the content creators out there. If your r enjoying the game AND you’re looking for (mostly) decent humans, it’s worth setting up a discord account (if you don’t have one).
  • Alright so I'm thinking of getting the hyperspace bundle. I'm level 58 now and it seems I'm probably gonna be in it for the long haul. So if I do get the hyperspace bundle, do the levels I have my characters at get converted into shards? Example I have Kanen at 5* with 53 shards going towards 6*. If I buy the hyperspace bundle will only the shards I currently have be converted? This of course is being asked because I worked on quite a few characters and kylo Rens ship. So curious to know if I'm basically losing all the time I put into game so far.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Alright so I'm thinking of getting the hyperspace bundle. I'm level 58 now and it seems I'm probably gonna be in it for the long haul. So if I do get the hyperspace bundle, do the levels I have my characters at get converted into shards? Example I have Kanen at 5* with 53 shards going towards 6*. If I buy the hyperspace bundle will only the shards I currently have be converted? This of course is being asked because I worked on quite a few characters and kylo Rens ship. So curious to know if I'm basically losing all the time I put into game so far.

Pretty sure you do not get the shards for toons you already have...

There was another post recently asking this same question if you want to search for it.
  • Yutterh
    18 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Well that flippin sucks, guess I shouldnt have unlocked Vader and just kept the shards : / well now I dont know if I should just keep chugging along or buy it.

Edit: guess it's better to buy it now instead of wasting more time. Thanks for the info though, nowill be ready when I do buy it.

Edit 2: was thinking of just starting a new account and buying the bundle. Would this be advisable? Especially since I would mos likely start over in squad arena and not have to face off against people who got the bundle much earlier. Actually now that I think about it if I start a new account will i be put into a new squad arena?
  • Yes, if you start a new account you will be put in a new arena shard..... How long have you been playing?