Does anyone like the ST?

Replies

• LordDirt wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it but Harry Potter copied SW and then JJ copied HP. Just funny.

How so? As a fan of both I am wondering what I am forgetting

Anyone have an answer to this?
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Nihion
    2644 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Really? So humans have peaked? Interesting!

The industry is in decline. That’s it.
  • TVF
    22418 posts Member
    Nothing wrong with it but Harry Potter copied SW and then JJ copied HP. Just funny.

How so? As a fan of both I am wondering what I am forgetting

Anyone have an answer to this?

One would hope @LordDirt would.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Drew102379 wrote: »
    I can’t find any place else to comment in can we please fix this screen bug. Or do I have to reload the game? It’s just ridiculous

And while they're at it, fix Rey's man hands!
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    I'd argue that there are new things - yes people can borrow bits here and there, but new novels are written all the time - look how well GOT took off (before the disastrous season 8 finale of course).

And I have said before, there is still good star wars content out there - Mandalorian, return of the Clone Wars and Fallen Order - we also have an Obi Wan series to look forward to (so hope they don't mess that up).

If a project is under the right creative team and control, great things can happen. Sadly the ST wasn't under a great creative team or control and it is an absolute mess.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    Tech713 wrote: »
    I loved all the Star Wars movies! They are all entertaining to me.

Entertaining does not translate them into being good movies - or good movies specific to a certain franchise.

Star Wars had created a whole new world, with its own lore, story, characters etc. The ST was entertaining but tore that lore of the world apart.

There are many movies that can be "entertaining", but generally when a fan of a franchise, in this case star wars, watches a star wars movie - they want to feel immersed into that world - the ST did none of that. Just mindless entertainment with space travel and lightsabers.

If all you want is entertainment, then fair enough. I want more from star wars, because it was built on more than that.
  • TVF
    22418 posts Member

Glad to hear someone enjoys them.
  • Gifafi
    4034 posts Member
    Boo, when was the last time you watched the OT?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Tech713 wrote: »

Agreed! Even the prequels
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    edited January 23
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Boo, when was the last time you watched the OT?

September, why?

I have seen them countless times and watch them fairly often. Every other year I'll watch them 1-6 (I now usually include R1 too).
  • TVF
    22418 posts Member

Let's not get crazy now.
  • TVF wrote: »

Let's not get crazy now.

Whats not to love about a trilogy that fundamentally changes what the force is? Or what abilities are available?

Besides, the dialogue alone provides hours of laughter
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    edited January 24
    TVF wrote: »

Let's not get crazy now.

Whats not to love about a trilogy that fundamentally changes what the force is? Or what abilities are available?

How did it change what the force is? or abilities?

Nothing wrong with changing abilities as long as it can be explained or at least is not lore breaking - I actually liked the "passing of objects" between Kylo and Rey, as well as the lightsaber duel through their "force bond" in the new trilogy and the PT didn't do anything that crazy - so, what do you mean?
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    khelzac wrote: »
    The prequels are the best. Simply because just about every scene is a meme. Change my mind.

The ST is also full of meme content.
  • Boo wrote: »
    The prequels are the best. Simply because just about every scene is a meme. Change my mind.

Not as much as the prequels.

Let's not get crazy now.

Nothing wrong with changing abilities as long as it can be explained or at least is not lore breaking - I actually liked the "passing of objects" between Kylo and Rey, as well as the lightsaber duel through their "force bond" in the new trilogy and the PT didn't do anything that crazy - so, what do you mean?

In the OT, the force was a connection mystical space wizards had that allowed them mind control and some telekinesis. The PT rewrote it into a genetic trait.
  • I do not like using the Force to mail objects. Opens the door to many crazy things.

Force healing and bringing back the dead is too much.

Force Ghosts catching lightsabers? Lifting ships? So what is the downside to dying, that is if no one is around to bring you back? Dead Force users seems to be the way to go.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    I do not like using the Force to mail objects. Opens the door to many crazy things.

Force healing and bringing back the dead is too much.

Force Ghosts catching lightsabers? Lifting ships? So what is the downside to dying, that is if no one is around to bring you back? Dead Force users seems to be the way to go.

The whole healing power and stopping death was the holy grail power to the force that was the cause for Anakin's downfall.

Having Plagueis hold that power was the only explainable thing - Palpatine makes no sense and bringing back him undoes everything 1-6 stood for in terms of story and characters. If Snoke was Plagueis, that was the way they should have gone with this trilogy.

I agree that Force ghosts physically interacting with the world (such as catching a physical object) is pretty bad.

Having them be part of the force and still command the force makes sense, as long as they are unable to engage in Galactic physical world events - so I have no issue with Yoda zapping a tree or Luke raising his X-wing.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member
    edited January 24
    Boo wrote: »

Let's not get crazy now.

In the OT, the force was a connection mystical space wizards had that allowed them mind control and some telekinesis. The PT rewrote it into a genetic trait.

It was always a genetic trait - Luke clearly states "My father has it, I have it, and my sister has it".

It was genetic, and PT merely added that through the genetic component to it were the midichlorians that acted as a conduit for those people to commune with the force.

But it was always established lore that you could not replicate that genetic component - i.e. Cloning force users doesn't work.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member

Not as much as the prequels.

Have you seen the internet lately? Just as many if not more ST memes as there are for the PT.

Let's not get crazy now.

It was always a genetic trait - Luke clearly states "My father has it, I have it, and my sister has it".

It was genetic, and PT merely added that through the genetic component to it were the midichlorians that acted as a conduit for those people to commune with the force.

But it was always established lore that you could not replicate that genetic component - i.e. Cloning force users doesn't work.

What established that you couldnt clone force users? Because prior to Disney taking over, cloning force users was a major plot point in much of the EU.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member

Let's not get crazy now.

What established that you couldnt clone force users? Because prior to Disney taking over, cloning force users was a major plot point in much of the EU.

Was it? If you are referring to Palpatine cloning himself, he was only able to clone his body as an empty vessel, to which his power and soul would transport into upon death.

Dorsk 81 (one of Luke's jedi) was the 81st clone from his planet, but only he had the force, not his clone brothers. As the force would manifest randomly. Another indication that the force was genetic if the skywalkers all had the force - its a big galaxy full of billions of beings, so for it to randomly pick Anakin, Luke and Leia and their children - it wasn't random at all.

Therefore it was plausible that at least one of Jango's clone troopers could have been force sensitive.

Additionally, General Kota was adamant that cloning Jedi was tested and not possible. Having said that, perhaps a way was discovered if Starkiller had an evil clone twin upon the darkside ending of TFU 2. Having said that (before it was no longer cannon) was the darkside ending of TFU2 even considered cannon? As the darkside clone never makes an appearance in the game otherwise.

Additionally - if cloning Jedi were possible - why was it never done on a mass scale - with the Sith Empire in the past, or even the Jedi during the clone wars? Surely Jedi clones would have been better than Jango Fett?

Who knows, but those are my thoughts on the issue.

Let's not get crazy now.

Was it? If you are referring to Palpatine cloning himself, he was only able to clone his body as an empty vessel, to which his power and soul would transport into upon death.

Dorsk 81 (one of Luke's jedi) was the 81st clone from his planet, but only he had the force, not his clone brothers. As the force would manifest randomly. Another indication that the force was genetic if the skywalkers all had the force - its a big galaxy full of billions of beings, so for it to randomly pick Anakin, Luke and Leia and their children - it wasn't random at all.

Therefore it was plausible that at least one of Jango's clone troopers could have been force sensitive.

Additionally, General Kota was adamant that cloning Jedi was tested and not possible. Having said that, perhaps a way was discovered if Starkiller had an evil clone twin upon the darkside ending of TFU 2. Having said that (before it was no longer cannon) was the darkside ending of TFU2 even considered cannon? As the darkside clone never makes an appearance in the game otherwise.

Additionally - if cloning Jedi were possible - why was it never done on a mass scale - with the Sith Empire in the past, or even the Jedi during the clone wars? Surely Jedi clones would have been better than Jango Fett?

One of the main bad guys in the original Thrawn trilogy is a clone of a jedi, and the others I was thinking of was trying to clone the emperor/vader in various sources (could be misremembering those).

As for why cloning didnt happen on a mass scale? In case nobody noticed, people who write Star Wars movies and books have been making up new rules/abilities/stories/characters that fit the needs of their book/movie since 1977.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member

Let's not get crazy now.

One of the main bad guys in the original Thrawn trilogy is a clone of a jedi, and the others I was thinking of was trying to clone the emperor/vader in various sources (could be misremembering those).

As for why cloning didnt happen on a mass scale? In case nobody noticed, people who write Star Wars movies and books have been making up new rules/abilities/stories/characters that fit the needs of their book/movie since 1977.

That's why it didn't bother me when Disney scrapped the EU as "Legends" as I always took what I wanted and enjoyed the stories I liked from the EU and safely ignored the ones that simply didn't fit.

Sadly, cant really do that with the ST - its there, like a big ugly elephant in the room, lol.

One could say the same thing about herpes, couldn't they? It doesn't make it genetic.

I think it would be masterfully incompetent if, on the one hand Lucas created genetic magic users and on the other, imposed a vow of celibacy on the carriers of this highly desirable gene.

In order for genes to propagate, those with the gene need to reproduce. If the population with the gene doesn't reproduce, then the gene generally becomes phased out of the population. Since the Jedi were in the millennia long business of abducting force sensitive children and converting them to celibate space monks before they reached reproductive age, it probably would have been eradicated from the population over that many generations of selective non-breeding. Subsequently, for the force to still be "genetic", it would have to be the result of a mutation.

Since natural selection favors desirable traits (ability to manipulate the Force in this case), it would have been more consistent with pretty much every form of life ever for the Jedi to become a breeding population and create future generations of more and more powerful force wielders.

Throw in the fact that force users come in all different species from all over the galaxy, for it to be genetic would mean that the trait came from a single source, which implies that all the different species in the Star Wars galaxy evolved from a common tree, or the trait independently arose within all these species of its own accord. Assuming this happened before the Jedi were an established order, which is assured by definition - you can't have Jedi without the force - you would have had force wielding individuals freely reproducing on worlds all over the galaxy far far away. Given the evolutionary benefit of such a trait, the most likely outcome would be that non-force wielders were bred out of existence, not the opposite.

So if you think about it even just a little bit, it makes zero sense for the force to be genetic.
  • Well, the 3 episodes scored 8, 7 and 7 stars out of 10 on IMDb, which is a pretty good metric for how they were received by the general audience. I'd personally take 1 star off TLJ and maybe another one off TFA, although it is my favorite movie out of the three. But I do like them all. Even TLJ. I skip a few scenes when I rewatch it, but I do the same with TPM.
  • Boo
    4004 posts Member

One could say the same thing about herpes, couldn't they? It doesn't make it genetic.

I think it would be masterfully incompetent if, on the one hand Lucas created genetic magic users and on the other, imposed a vow of celibacy on the carriers of this highly desirable gene.

In order for genes to propagate, those with the gene need to reproduce. If the population with the gene doesn't reproduce, then the gene generally becomes phased out of the population. Since the Jedi were in the millennia long business of abducting force sensitive children and converting them to celibate space monks before they reached reproductive age, it probably would have been eradicated from the population over that many generations of selective non-breeding. Subsequently, for the force to still be "genetic", it would have to be the result of a mutation.

Since natural selection favors desirable traits (ability to manipulate the Force in this case), it would have been more consistent with pretty much every form of life ever for the Jedi to become a breeding population and create future generations of more and more powerful force wielders.

Throw in the fact that force users come in all different species from all over the galaxy, for it to be genetic would mean that the trait came from a single source, which implies that all the different species in the Star Wars galaxy evolved from a common tree, or the trait independently arose within all these species of its own accord. Assuming this happened before the Jedi were an established order, which is assured by definition - you can't have Jedi without the force - you would have had force wielding individuals freely reproducing on worlds all over the galaxy far far away. Given the evolutionary benefit of such a trait, the most likely outcome would be that non-force wielders were bred out of existence, not the opposite.

So if you think about it even just a little bit, it makes zero sense for the force to be genetic.

I think you have totally missed the boat on what I was saying. No idea why you are talking about herpes (there are other sites for that you know, medical sites specifically).

It is clearly genetic hence Luke's comment I made earlier, as well as Qui-Gon asking Shmi who Anakin's father was. Additionally with Rey being the grandchild of Palpatine or Maul and his brother Savage etc. etc.

However it makes sense that Luke was not as powerful as Anakin, nor Kylo as powerful as Luke, as the gene is diluted through each generation the ability is genetically transferred. However considering Anakin's midichlorian count was "off the charts" it is very likely that Luke, Leia and Kylo all were extremely powerful, despite their "force gene" being watered down with each generation.

Now saying that it is genetic, midichlorians also randomly manifest in beings across the galaxy creating new force sensitives - so a gene pool is always being renewed, by the Will of the Force. Some beings having a stronger connection than others, which is why the likes of Yoda is likely more powerful than the likes of Luminara etc.

Jedi take children for 2 reasons.

1) so that they are young enough that they have not formed attachments and their brains can be "molded" to believe in the Jedi Code.

2) Force users do not have children themselves, as they are not to form attachments either.

Therefore the Jedi trust in the Will of the force to create new force sensitives and that they are identified by the Jedi Order and are inducted for training.

Otherwise, no one would have had an issue with Anakin marrying Padme and having children with her - it was against the Jedi Code.

• I wholly reject midichlorians. If such a symbiote were to exist, compatible hosts (Force sensitives) could isolate and grow them in a lab, then re-inject them the night before the big game. Midichlorian doping would be rampant.