Do you remember this from either Legends or Canon?

Do any of you recall reading a Star Wars book (Legends or Canon) where you recall them implying or downright stating something that could NOT be achieved with current science and technology

Replies

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Wut
  • Nihion wrote: »
    Wut

I mean do you remember someone in Star Wars say “We can’t do that” or “That’s impossible” in regards to science and tech.

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Maximum7 wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Wut

I mean do you remember someone in Star Wars say “We can’t do that” or “That’s impossible” in regards to science and tech.

Thrawn says in his second canon novel (I think): New technologies can be created; but science is still science. Something like that.
  • In Legends, Thrawn promoted a guy because he blamed his failure on a lack of good technology. The promotion? Develop some good technology.
    Can't recall which book though. Definitely Legends, definitely Zahn.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Hitting a thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. Biggs flat out says "that's impossible, even for a computer".

Which was true. Took magic "space wizard" power to pull it off.

;)
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Hitting a thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. Biggs flat out says "that's impossible, even for a computer".

;)

But you'll recall, luke answered that he used to hit targets smaller than that back home (I can't remember the exact quote)...
    But you hit the topic question square on the head...

• But you'll recall, luke answered that he used to hit targets smaller than that back home (I can't remember the exact quote)...

Luke: I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    "...They're not much bigger than 2 meters."
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Hitting a thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. Biggs flat out says "that's impossible, even for a computer".

;)

But you'll recall, luke answered that he used to hit targets smaller than that back home (I can't remember the exact quote)...

Indeed, but it was still Luke making that shot and likely the force helped "guide" his actions there as well.
  • In Legends, Thrawn promoted a guy because he blamed his failure on a lack of good technology. The promotion? Develop some good technology.

It was the 3rd book of the original Thrawn trilogy (The Last Command), a book or two after he demoted a guy for a poor excuse in a similar circumstance.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    C3P0 also states its impossible to make the jump to lightspeed with a damaged hyperdrive - E5

It was the 3rd book of the original Thrawn trilogy (The Last Command), a book or two after he demoted a guy for a poor excuse in a similar circumstance.

What timing! I am currently re-reading that trilogy. In the first instance, Luke blew out his hyperdrive escaping from Thrawn's tractor beam. Thrawn had the beam operator summarily executed by Rukh on the bridge for that.
    In the second instance, Luke was flying a modified freighter with his X-wing poking out of it. The freighter was rigged to blow apart into a cloud of beam-thwarting particles so Luke could escape. The beam operator tried to disperse the particles and re-establish lock by shifting the beam mode but it didn't work. Thrawn promoted him from Ensign to Lieutenant for quick thinking and tasked him with developing a way to defeat the escape strategy since nobody had been able to do it yet.

In the same trilogy, Thrawn made use of cloaking shields which had limited usefulness because although nobody could inside the shield, neither could the cloaked ship see anything outside the shield. I would call that a definite technological limitation.

There also seems to be a distinct inability to regrow lost limbs so it seems they are somewhat lacking in the health sciences. In Star Wars, too much sadness can be deadly.

They also need protocol droids to perform language translation duties. They haven't even figured out how to make a babel fish yet.

They don't have transporter beams either.