Acting In Star Wars

Replies

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.

I don’t know you could say that the other Jedi didn’t like him. He was very well respected by the others, and I have a hard time finding evidence that even Mace didn’t like him. Sure he draw hard lines with him and didn’t want him in in the first place, but that’s pretty much it.

Mace has always been cold with Anakin.

Didn't want him to train as a Jedi in the first place
    Then didnt want Obi Wan to take him as his Padawan
    Then expresses concern over Anakin's ability to protect Padme in AOTC
    Then again questions his ability to help Obi Wan in AOTC and he should just stay out of the way
    Then confirms his distrust of Anakin in ROTS
    Then he confirms his disbelief in Anakin's ability to handle his mission in ROTS
    Denies anointing Anakin the rank of Jedi Master
    Only lets Anakin sit on the counsel so they can gain access to Palpatine's trust through Anakin.
    Prevents Anakin from being the one to stop Greivous
    Prevents Anakin from assisting his Jedi mission to confront/arrest Palpatine
    Fails to listen to Anakin about keeping Palpatine alive and that killing out of fear "was not the Jedi way".

That's quite a lot of stuff that points to Mace generally, not liking Anakin, and the Jedi Counsel obviously went along with a lot of it too.

I always thought that since Mace was so powerful, he himself believed he was the Chosen One. And that his dislike of Anakin was due to the fact that he saw he wasn't.
    That it was simple jealousy.

this. altho I think it was more arrogance with a hint of jealousy. More like "no way this punk kid gets anything when I'm the great mace windu." Which is why it was great he got (SPOILERS) defenestrated. Still don't get why people think that cocky loser deserves a rework
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    And another thing, why do people hate on haden christianson (Sp? w/e) for being a whiny kid and yet love luke?
  • Harrison Ford (Han)
    Gifafi wrote: »
    And another thing, why do people hate on haden christianson (Sp? w/e) for being a whiny kid and yet love luke?

Haden did fine, really. Poor guy was a slave to the script and the directing. Not his fault that he had to do so much cry fighting.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

Haden did fine, really. Poor guy was a slave to the script and the directing. Not his fault that he had to do so much cry fighting.

the lighting for the whole PT was so awful it made most things look so fake (besides like space battles and a few other things like maul fight) it made me not notice the acting. well, except all the awful racist voices. I almost thought someone was playing a joke and dubbed them in, except I wasn't watching on youtube
  • TigerSpirit1917
    174 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Other
    ..... Still don't get why people think that cocky loser deserves a rework[/quote

Because its Samuel L Jackson (insert favourite SLJ swear here)
  • Other

Besides, whoever raised this argument has severely derailed the topic of this thread, so it should go back on course.

Ummm....

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2053250/#Comment_2053250

Ya and I was responding to a comment, which YOU made, that set this in motion. Stop trying to prove me wrong - you'll never win.

Eat your humble pie and stop.

Nobody made you respond, with four videos. Blaming someone else for your own choices is a sure path to the dark side.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member

Hayden does well with good material and direction, and poorly with the opposite. Which makes him neither a good nor bad actor, I guess.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Lol this was a good way to end my lunch break.
    I am obviously on the side of Rey being a Mary Sue. No doubt. I am just sad that Kylo's character was completely butchered thanks to our "heroine".

About Anakin being hated by everybody tho, I would disagree a bit. He was disliked by Mace and some other Jedi masters true, but it was due to their own fear and arrogance that he had Fear and the potential to turn to the Darkside. To the public however, he was the poster boy and his valor granted him even more fame due to his clone wars heroics.

P.S Adam Driver also did a splendid job in portraying Kylo (even through the bad plot).

The only people that truly liked Anakin were Padme, Obi and Jar Jar, I guess you could count Qui-Gon as well and of course his mother, Shmi.

That's about it. The Jedi, really couldn't care less and yes I think the general dislike from them was their own fear of him.

Palpatine was also just manipulating him. He never cared about him.

I don’t know you could say that the other Jedi didn’t like him. He was very well respected by the others, and I have a hard time finding evidence that even Mace didn’t like him. Sure he draw hard lines with him and didn’t want him in in the first place, but that’s pretty much it.

Mace has always been cold with Anakin.

Didn't want him to train as a Jedi in the first place
    Then didnt want Obi Wan to take him as his Padawan
    Then expresses concern over Anakin's ability to protect Padme in AOTC
    Then again questions his ability to help Obi Wan in AOTC and he should just stay out of the way
    Then confirms his distrust of Anakin in ROTS
    Then he confirms his disbelief in Anakin's ability to handle his mission in ROTS
    Denies anointing Anakin the rank of Jedi Master
    Only lets Anakin sit on the counsel so they can gain access to Palpatine's trust through Anakin.
    Prevents Anakin from being the one to stop Greivous
    Prevents Anakin from assisting his Jedi mission to confront/arrest Palpatine
    Fails to listen to Anakin about keeping Palpatine alive and that killing out of fear "was not the Jedi way".

That's quite a lot of stuff that points to Mace generally, not liking Anakin, and the Jedi Counsel obviously went along with a lot of it too.

I always thought that since Mace was so powerful, he himself believed he was the Chosen One. And that his dislike of Anakin was due to the fact that he saw he wasn't.
    That it was simple jealousy.

I don't think that he thought himself as the chosen one, but he did have a reputation of being "powerful" as Anakin mentioned in AOTC.

Indeed there may be some jealousy from Mace toward Anakin, as he sits as a high council member only behind Yoda, he probably felt threatened by Anakin's power (midichlorian count was off the charts and the council knew that, including Mace), especially as the consensus of the Jedi was that Anakin was indeed the Chosen One. He likely also felt threatened with Anakin's "appointment" on the council.

Good point - "those who hold power are afraid to lose it, even the Jedi."
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

Besides, whoever raised this argument has severely derailed the topic of this thread, so it should go back on course.

Ummm....

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2053250/#Comment_2053250

Ya and I was responding to a comment, which YOU made, that set this in motion. Stop trying to prove me wrong - you'll never win.

Eat your humble pie and stop.

Nobody made you respond, with four videos. Blaming someone else for your own choices is a sure path to the dark side.

I responded with two videos, but here you are trying to fuel the fire again. Stop "gaslighting" give up and grow up. The topic has moved on.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

I think Anakin was more "whiney" than Luke. Luke was at first being his farm boy role, but quickly developed. He was also the Jedi, Rebels and Galaxy's last hope at defeating the emperor. There was a lot of pressure and a powerful Jedi father to live up to. He lost his parents, aunt & uncle and his mentor, then found out his wonderful father was in fact Darth Vader - I think under the circumstances he pulled it together and did well. I certainly don't think he was "whiney" come ROTJ.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

I think Anakin was more "whiney" than Luke. Luke was at first being his farm boy role, but quickly developed. He was also the Jedi, Rebels and Galaxy's last hope at defeating the emperor. There was a lot of pressure and a powerful Jedi father to live up to. He lost his parents, aunt & uncle and his mentor, then found out his wonderful father was in fact Darth Vader - I think under the circumstances he pulled it together and did well. I certainly don't think he was "whiney" come ROTJ.

anakin pulled it together too and wasn't whiny come ANH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

He wasn't Anakin anymore...
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

I think Anakin went through many many struggles as well, but again... Anakin and Padme love story... yeah that’s what ruined his Star Wars career. I’ll leave it up to the community for Acting vs Writing, but I believe that collectively, that was just bad.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)
    Nihion wrote: »

I think Anakin went through many many struggles as well, but again... Anakin and Padme love story... yeah that’s what ruined his Star Wars career. I’ll leave it up to the community for Acting vs Writing, but I believe that collectively, that was just bad.

Couldn't agree more, the "romance" in ATOC was very badly written and acted.

Everyone complains about Anakin's hatred for sand, but I think the worst quote was:

"I wish I could wish away my feelings"

To me that's right up there with Austin Powers - "Allow myself, to introduce...myself"

Hahahahaha
  • Other

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not
  • Other

Agreed completely. I watched ANH recently with my son and didn't remember just how whiny Luke was. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it now, or my tolerance for whine is consumed by real-life, but a real part of me just wanted to tell the kid to be quiet and deal with it.

On the other hand, I thought little half-orphan Ani had a pretty positive outlook for being born into slavery "yipee"
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

Agreed completely. I watched ANH recently with my son and didn't remember just how whiny Luke was. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it now, or my tolerance for whine is consumed by real-life, but a real part of me just wanted to tell the kid to be quiet and deal with it.

On the other hand, I thought little half-orphan Ani had a pretty positive outlook for being born into slavery "yipee"

THIS: Luke was whiney at first being in his farm boy role, but quickly developed.

He was also the Jedi, Rebels and Galaxy's last hope at defeating the emperor. There was a lot of pressure and a powerful Jedi father to live up to. He lost his parents, aunt & uncle and his mentor, then found out his wonderful father was in fact Darth Vader - I think under the circumstances he pulled it together and did well. I certainly don't think he was "whiney" come ROTJ.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

Yes at that time he was no longer Anakin - he had succumbed to the darkside as Darth Vader.

Didn't mean Anakin could not return, which he did. And he certainly wasn't whiney about it either. Sacrificed himself and took it like a champ.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

Yes at that time he was no longer Anakin - he had succumbed to the darkside as Darth Vader.

Didn't mean Anakin could not return, which he did. And he certainly wasn't whiney about it either. Sacrificed himself and took it like a champ.

ANAKIN (very weak)
    Now...go, my son. Leave me.

LUKE
    No. You're coming with me. I can't leave you here. I've got to save
    you.

ANAKIN
    You already have, Luke. You were right about me. Tell your sister...you
    were right.

I mean, what are you even talking about right now?? You think if he had survived and they were partying on Endor someone would have said "Thanks Mr. Skywalker" he would have said "the name's DARTH VADER!!!"?? UMMMM
  • Harrison Ford (Han)
    You guys keep banging on about PLOT when you should be focused on ACTING. Back on track, guys.
    BTW, you are agreeing with each other in a most argumentative fashion.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

I mean, what are you even talking about right now?? You think if he had survived and they were partying on Endor someone would have said "Thanks Mr. Skywalker" he would have said "the name's DARTH VADER!!!"?? UMMMM

What are you talking about - I am just saying he accepted his fate and didn't whine about it. what is your point? Do you even have one?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

What are you talking about - I am just saying he accepted his fate and didn't whine about it. what is your point? Do you even have one?

are you ok?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

I'm fine - not really understanding our conversation here though, lol
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

you had said he was no longer anakin, I pointed out he was. the whole redeemed arc thing that you think tros ruined (iirc). that's all
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

you had said he was no longer anakin, I pointed out he was. the whole redeemed arc thing that you think tros ruined (iirc). that's all

No, his redemption wasn't ruined by TROS, his destiny and overall story arc was ruined.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

No, his redemption wasn't ruined by TROS, his destiny and overall story arc was ruined.

wasn't his redemption his destiny and story arc? he was redeemed and killed the emperor. emp coming back doesn't change that
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan)

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

wasn't his redemption his destiny and story arc? he was redeemed and killed the emperor. emp coming back doesn't change that

Yet he was to destroy the sith and bring balance to the force.

All he did was defeat Palpatine so he could rise again, and the force technically remained out of balance.

If it was "balanced" then it needed "re-balancing" again. An ancient prophecy foretold the Chosen One balancing the force - now it seems to need rebalancing every other generation. Its a joke and it takes away the "special" circumstances of Anakin/Vader's story, which encompassed E1-6 of the saga.
  • Other

OR WAS HE

eq3zx2vg4zrz.jpeg

Apparently not

intro-1566225818.jpg

O'RLY?

ANAKIN (very weak)

LUKE
    you.

ANAKIN
    were right.

are you ok?

Yet he was to destroy the sith and bring balance to the force.

All he did was defeat Palpatine so he could rise again, and the force technically remained out of balance.

If it was "balanced" then it needed "re-balancing" again. An ancient prophecy foretold the Chosen One balancing the force - now it seems to need rebalancing every other generation. Its a joke and it takes away the "special" circumstances of Anakin/Vader's story, which encompassed E1-6 of the saga.

Based on what you said about Sith and Jedi though, he didn't bring balance to the force. He restarted the Jedi order with his own Jedi temple.

I'm so confused by what balance means now and how you just throw the definition around to make whatever point you're trying to make.
This discussion has been closed.