Favorite Lightsaber Duel

Replies

• Boo wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Yoda ran like a coward and hid for 20 years. Thought he was a beast.

Sidious got lucky in that the power between them blew Yoda off the platform. He then had the all too important "High ground" and Yoda also lost his saber in the blast.

Technically, doesn’t everybody have the high ground on Yoda?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Sidious got lucky in that the power between them blew Yoda off the platform. He then had the all too important "High ground" and Yoda also lost his saber in the blast.

Chirpa?

Dathcha?

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi
    TVF wrote: »

Chirpa?

Dathcha?

Even them I would assume. Poor Yoda. If attachment wasn't forbidden I guess he would have to make his size up with some sport landspeeder or something, lol
  • Ep3: Isn't the whole movie a lightsaber duel?
    So why didnt he come back later?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Kryptic
    109 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    He doesn’t need to be tall, he consistently jumps high in the air and on/off walls when they are nearby.

Edit: Corrected Spelling
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Kryptic wrote: »
    He doesn’t need to be tall, he consistently jumps high in the air and on/off walls when they are nearby.

This might be the single worst thing about the PT.

• Ep6: Luke vs Vader

odb95bmb607k.jpg
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Why? We all knew Yoda's size from the OT - how else would he actively engage as a Jedi from that era?

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    So why didnt he come back later?

Id say the "cat was out of the bag". He and Obi each had one shot to strike at the Sith and end the formation of the Galactic Empire.

The Emperor was far too protected going forward and an entire Empire was looking for them at that point. Going back to try again was suicide. They put their faith in Luke as the son of the chosen one, powerful enough to end the Sith threat.
    So the two of them couldn’t do it but Like alone could? Once again showing how weak Yoda was.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    So the two of them couldn’t do it but Like alone could? Once again showing how weak Yoda was.

Indeed, but at that point Yoda and Obi Wan believed their trust in Anakin as the Chosen One was misplaced. Obi Wan was set on Luke being the chosen one (hence his comment to Maul in Rebels), but Yoda reminded Obi Wan of the "other" Leia.

They knew Luke was powerful in the force and believed he would fulfill the prophecy.

This again shows how/why the Jedi were corrupted, as they simply could not fathom that Anakin was still the chosen one and could be redeemed. They were still arrogant that they could not see his fall to darkness to destroy the Jedi was part of bringing balance.
  • Ep1: Maul vs Kenobi

I agree. I remember first seeing the fight vs Dooku in the theater on opening knight. IMO, it looked super goofy and not on purpose. Especially how he walks in with a cane like an old person, then after the fight, he's back on the cane. Super goofy. And how he fights against Dooku with his graceful form based on fencing. I know all the rationalizations about how he preserves his energy and all, but no...

Best fight, IMO is the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Maul fight. It was the first fast paced, intense lightsaber battle shown in a movie that actually gives you a feeling of how skilled Jedi and Sith were when they were in their prime. I liked it better than the iconic Anakin vs Obi-Wan because I feel that their fight looked way more like a choreographed dance rather than a fight. Too many wasted swings on nothing, just so you can twirl your saber around and look cool. Too much CGI to distract from the actual fight.

My second place would be Luke vs Vader in ESB.

Indeed, but at that point Yoda and Obi Wan believed their trust in Anakin as the Chosen One was misplaced. Obi Wan was set on Luke being the chosen one (hence his comment to Maul in Rebels), but Yoda reminded Obi Wan of the "other" Leia.

They knew Luke was powerful in the force and believed he would fulfill the prophecy.

This again shows how/why the Jedi were corrupted, as they simply could not fathom that Anakin was still the chosen one and could be redeemed. They were still arrogant that they could not see his fall to darkness to destroy the Jedi was part of bringing balance.

To play devil's advocate.... If they truly believed that, then why wasn't Ben training him from day one? Why wait until he was 17 and then tell him that his father (whom he never met, and therefore idealised almost to mythic proportions), was killed by this guy there, put a weapon in his hand and then expect him to have the self discipline to not take up a vendetta?

They really kind of screwed him over by doing that.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    willennium wrote: »

I agree. I remember first seeing the fight vs Dooku in the theater on opening knight. IMO, it looked super goofy and not on purpose. Especially how he walks in with a cane like an old person, then after the fight, he's back on the cane. Super goofy. And how he fights against Dooku with his graceful form based on fencing. I know all the rationalizations about how he preserves his energy and all, but no...

Best fight, IMO is the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Maul fight. It was the first fast paced, intense lightsaber battle shown in a movie that actually gives you a feeling of how skilled Jedi and Sith were when they were in their prime. I liked it better than the iconic Anakin vs Obi-Wan because I feel that their fight looked way more like a choreographed dance rather than a fight. Too many wasted swings on nothing, just so you can twirl your saber around and look cool. Too much CGI to distract from the actual fight.

How do you think old man Dooku, Palpatine and Yoda all fight. Yoda when training Luke speaks about how to let the force flow through him, muscles etc don't matter.

So they all call upon the force when engaging in battle so that they can be sharp, quick and agile etc.

Once the fight is over they no longer need to tire their connection to the force for that purpose and revert to their natural state whatever that may be. That's why Yoda picks up his cane and continues to hop along.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020

To play devil's advocate.... If they truly believed that, then why wasn't Ben training him from day one? Why wait until he was 17 and then tell him that his father (whom he never met, and therefore idealised almost to mythic proportions), was killed by this guy there, put a weapon in his hand and then expect him to have the self discipline to not take up a vendetta?

They really kind of screwed him over by doing that.

Apparently Obi Wan tried to connect with Luke earlier, but was always chased off by Lars.

Perhaps this will be touched upon in the upcoming Obi Wan show for Disney+?

Besides the Jedi are good, they are noble and want to do the right thing and see themselves as the just knights they portray themselves to be, but their line of thinking was corrupt, cut off from emotion, serving the politicians of the Republic rather than the people, arrogant and fearful - doesn't mean they weren't trying to do what they thought was right.
    Jedi are evil. They take kids from their families, tell them they cant love anyone, cant form any attachments to anyone or anything and give them a laser sword to keep the “peace”.

Look what they did toAnakin.

Freed him from slavery for their own good.
    Told him he would be a Jedi.
    Took him from his slave mom.
    Put him in front of the Jedi Counsel and then denied him training.
    Finally let him be trained after the guy that freed him died.
    The Jedi never went back to free his mom. He finally goes himself and she dies after finding her.
    Made him hide his feelings for Padme.
    Humiliated him in front of the Jedi Counsel again but not putting him on the counsel.
    Told him to spy on Palpatine.

They even framed his padawan and after she was proven not guilty she left the order on her own.

They created Vader.

Look what they did to Luke. Lied to him the whole way.

How do you think old man Dooku, Palpatine and Yoda all fight. Yoda when training Luke speaks about how to let the force flow through him, muscles etc don't matter.

So they all call upon the force when engaging in battle so that they can be sharp, quick and agile etc.

Once the fight is over they no longer need to tire their connection to the force for that purpose and revert to their natural state whatever that may be. That's why Yoda picks up his cane and continues to hop along.

Sure, but that doesn't make it any less goofy looking... Think if like Betty White was in a movie, hobbling around like a person her age is expected to, then she comes up to a Donny Yen or Connor McGregor or something, then starts parkouring off of walls and doing backflips and stuff. Sure it might be entertaining(in a funny way), but that makes it lose its seriousness, IMO.

If you've seen the Dr. Strange movie, there's a guy that is supposed to be a paraplegic or something that discovers the use of magic, but rather than become a wizard, he just was content with using his magic to allow himself to walk/run/play basketball like a healthy young person. That would've been a better way to address this, I think. But they messed it up by 1) making Yoda 900 years old and a hunchback hermit that can barely hobble around when he was first introduced and 2) trying to portray him as one of the most powerful fighters in Star Wars during a conflict that was like 30 years prior to his introduction as an old person that can barely get around. 30 years to a 900 year old is like the equivalent of about 2.5 years for an actual human(assuming an average lifespan of ~75 years). Just imagine if Disney was the one to create those Yoda fight scenes... YouTube would be filled with 5 hour long video breakdowns on why it doesn't make sense and how it ruined Star Wars.

In the original movie when Yoda was telling Luke how muscles don't matter, he was talking about Luke complaining about the size of the object he was trying to move with the force(at the time, it was basically force = telekinesis and "mind tricks"). Also, with Dooku and Palpatine being old, they could at least get around like a healthy person. They didn't hobble around or need a cane.

Let's face it, the reason we have that Yoda fight is because they wanted to show off CGI. IMO, we could've done without the Jedi Spider-man Yoda fight.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2020

Sure, but that doesn't make it any less goofy looking... Think if like Betty White was in a movie, hobbling around like a person her age is expected to, then she comes up to a Donny Yen or Connor McGregor or something, then starts parkouring off of walls and doing backflips and stuff. Sure it might be entertaining(in a funny way), but that makes it lose its seriousness, IMO.

If you've seen the Dr. Strange movie, there's a guy that is supposed to be a paraplegic or something that discovers the use of magic, but rather than become a wizard, he just was content with using his magic to allow himself to walk/run/play basketball like a healthy young person. That would've been a better way to address this, I think. But they messed it up by 1) making Yoda 900 years old and a hunchback hermit that can barely hobble around when he was first introduced and 2) trying to portray him as one of the most powerful fighters in Star Wars during a conflict that was like 30 years prior to his introduction as an old person that can barely get around. 30 years to a 900 year old is like the equivalent of about 2.5 years for an actual human(assuming an average lifespan of ~75 years). Just imagine if Disney was the one to create those Yoda fight scenes... YouTube would be filled with 5 hour long video breakdowns on why it doesn't make sense and how it ruined Star Wars.

In the original movie when Yoda was telling Luke how muscles don't matter, he was talking about Luke complaining about the size of the object he was trying to move with the force(at the time, it was basically force = telekinesis and "mind tricks"). Also, with Dooku and Palpatine being old, they could at least get around like a healthy person. They didn't hobble around or need a cane.

Let's face it, the reason we have that Yoda fight is because they wanted to show off CGI. IMO, we could've done without the Jedi Spider-man Yoda fight.

I see your point, but I respectfully disagree.

However, George did state the reason for Yoda's athletic ability and that of Dooku & Sidious (being old) was due to using the force as I did describe. BUT he also explained his reasoning for the slow and pathetic lightsaber fight in ANH was due to Vader being in a suit and Obi Wan being old - so very contradictory statements.

That's why I love this remake of that duel, and have made my own edit of ANH with this duel in it (as well as the original Han shooting first scene, lol).

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k

Post edited by Boo on
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Let's face it, the reason we have that Yoda fight is because they wanted to show off CGI.

This.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Let's face it, the reason we have that Yoda fight is because they wanted to show off CGI.

This.

I also think a lot of fans wanted to see Yoda in action in an era where the Jedi were at their peak.
    Jedi are evil. They take kids from their families, tell them they cant love anyone, cant form any attachments to anyone or anything and give them a laser sword to keep the “peace”.

The Jedi never went back to free his mom. He finally goes himself and she dies after finding her.
    Humiliated him in front of the Jedi Counsel again but not putting him on the counsel.

They even framed his padawan and after she was proven not guilty she left the order on her own.

They created Vader.

They put him on the council. They humiliated him by not granting him the rank of master.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

They created Vader.

They put him on the council. They humiliated him by not granting him the rank of master.

Yep - and they only did for their own selfish reasons to put Anakin in a better position to "spy" on the Chancellor, which was yet another thing they did, putting Anakin in that position, against the Jedi code, albeit with some understanding of course.

Nevertheless it all took a toll on poor Anakin.
  • Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    average lifespan of ~75 years). Just imagine if Disney was the one to create those Yoda fight scenes... YouTube would be filled with 5 hour long video breakdowns on why it doesn't make sense and how it ruined Star Wars

You're right, it didn't make sense AT ALL and it did serve to degrade the Star Wars mythos. But George didn't care, he wanted to show off a lightsaber-wielding CGI Yoda because it was super flashy and exciting.
    George started ruining Star Wars long before Disney got involved. There have been many YouTube tirades about how poorly the PT fit into the Star Wars universe and how it ruined the story ... where have you been?
    The Yoda/Tyranus confrontation (Yoda/Sidious too) was a perfect opportunity for George to branch out the abilities of Jedi Masters. We (I) were all eagerly waiting to see what awesomeness Yoda was about to reveal ... and then he just whipped out his little green knife and got silly. The only new ability he showed was that he could catch lightning, which was pretty neat. In all, a lost opportunity.

Back to the topic at hand ... Of all the many, many lightsaber appearances in the PT, the Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan clash was the best, aside from the weird hallway full of force-field doors. If only Obi-Wan would have used his hyperspeed Force boost to get down the hall before Qui-Gon got skewered ...
    average lifespan of ~75 years). Just imagine if Disney was the one to create those Yoda fight scenes... YouTube would be filled with 5 hour long video breakdowns on why it doesn't make sense and how it ruined Star Wars

Back to the topic at hand ... Of all the many, many lightsaber appearances in the PT, the Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan clash was the best, aside from the weird hallway full of force-field doors. If only Obi-Wan would have used his hyperspeed Force boost to get down the hall before Qui-Gon got skewered ...

I can tell you exactly what that Force field door hallway was supposed to be...

An idea for a challenge in the phantom menace video game. Like the pod race, it was used as advertising for video games, etc.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

You're right, it didn't make sense AT ALL and it did serve to degrade the Star Wars mythos. But George didn't care, he wanted to show off a lightsaber-wielding CGI Yoda because it was super flashy and exciting.
    George started ruining Star Wars long before Disney got involved. There have been many YouTube tirades about how poorly the PT fit into the Star Wars universe and how it ruined the story ... where have you been?
    The Yoda/Tyranus confrontation (Yoda/Sidious too) was a perfect opportunity for George to branch out the abilities of Jedi Masters. We (I) were all eagerly waiting to see what awesomeness Yoda was about to reveal ... and then he just whipped out his little green knife and got silly. The only new ability he showed was that he could catch lightning, which was pretty neat. In all, a lost opportunity.

I liked the pause mid-battle. It was pretty cool and interesting.
  • Ep2: Yoda vs Dooku
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    We are missing some great ones from Clone Wars/Rebels. Also episode 8 should be Rey & Kylo vs guards that one was the best in the movie.

The most memorable from Clone Wars I'd personally say was Maul & Savage v. Sidious, and the most notable from Rebels of course is Ahsoka v. Vader. Maul v. Kenobi was a big let down in my opinion, but I get what they were trying to do.

As for Rey & Kylo v. Snoke's Guards - yes that was the best in the movie and the only one in the movie as Luke was an illusion against Kylo, so their sabers never actually clashed.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

Not everyone has seen the cartoon ones... But if they were listed here I'd have to put Ahsoka vs Darth Vader tied with my choice of ROTJ.
  • Ep5: Luke vs Vader
    I prefer the ot ones because they're more sword fights rather than looking cool. All the twirly whirly from the others are just a case of please stab me in the back.

Although, that doesn't say a lot (best in the movie) as it was also terrible. It technically wasn't a lightsaber duel and the choreography was pretty poor, including missing weapons, missed timed attacks, and weapons thrown away etc. it was a poorly done sequence.

… So like every duel in the OT? :p

As far as Clone Wars. I agree, it has some of the best moments in Star Wars canon. I always kinda favored duels that involved Dooku since his form is so elegant(and he just has a commanding screen presence, IMO)... so like Dooku v Asajj/Savage is up there for me. I'd have to rewatch the series to recall some of the other good ones cause it's been a while.