Would like some feedback on best shard farming strategies

I've been an active player for going on like 3 + years give or take. And while I do have a good supply of toons new and old up to 7 stars some of them were no easy task. While i know spending crystals on refreshes rather than shards from shipments is a much better payout, I've been trying to come up with a more efficient farming strategy that works with my limited crystal income. My shard farming tactic right now is shard farming in the morning before noon and using all remaining energy after 12pm for gear farming. I've been saving crystals for hard to farm gear and thought about other ways to increase my shard payout without blowing my crystal account. I thought that maybe saving any potential refreshes of hard modes until after 9pm so that whatever additional energy points spent could carry over into tomorrow's guild ticket accumulation. But what are some of your best strategies if there are any?

Replies

• Schwartzring
    1402 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Simply put, I limit the # of character farms I'm doing to 2 groups.

Refresh 3 Gold a day.
    (240 Timed, 45 x 3 Log In rewards, 120 x 3 in refreshes = 735
    Only farm 3-5 Character Nodes each day (1-2 groups of characters who have some Gold Node peeps)

All remaining goes to gear, of which I'm only farming a couple pieces at a time.

Blue/Fleet is basically the same but with less refreshes.
    240 Timed + 45 Log In = 285 Energy.
    Farm 2 characters at most leaves 85-125 for gear.
    Plus any refreshes.

• It is presently impossible, the new requirements of old hard node characters plus new release hard node characters is a lock into cash unless you had everything farmed before Raddus. This is there new model, (read the Raddus developer insight) and expect the same for the next ship.... if you had everything farmed, you wouldn’t be asking... so I’m sorry to say, the 3 years you’ve played this game is no longer relevant....

pay to play or quit, those are your only choices now
  • If you have limited crystals, best strategy is to only refresh hard nodes and ship nodes 3x a day for a total of 300.. if you’re completing all your tasks and not spending any crystals, you should be able to regenerate crystals as fast as you spend them on refreshes, over time.. I wouldn’t spend crystals on gear if you are low. Only buy gear with crystals on panic farms, and only if it gets you close to competing your farm. that’s my strategy, so others could differ.
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    I tend to farm three hard nodes and two ship nodes without refreshes, then put the rest of the energy that day into gear on each, refreshing energy for that depending on how well I did in arenas or the urgency of the farm and such. If it's the cheap gear like Gold balls I'll buy the from shipments, otherwise not, I think it's cheaper than by three refreshes a day in those cases, but I could be wrong.
    WhoDat wrote: »
    It is presently impossible, the new requirements of old hard node characters plus new release hard node characters is a lock into cash unless you had everything farmed before Raddus. This is there new model, (read the Raddus developer insight) and expect the same for the next ship.... if you had everything farmed, you wouldn’t be asking... so I’m sorry to say, the 3 years you’ve played this game is no longer relevant....

I commend you for your quite remarkably unrelated drivel, you really made an effort to waste time there.
  • WhoDat wrote: »
    It is presently impossible, the new requirements of old hard node characters plus new release hard node characters is a lock into cash unless you had everything farmed before Raddus. This is there new model, (read the Raddus developer insight) and expect the same for the next ship.... if you had everything farmed, you wouldn’t be asking... so I’m sorry to say, the 3 years you’ve played this game is no longer relevant....

Amazing, everything you just said is wrong (and mostly incoherent)
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Coolnessda wrote: »
    I've been an active player for going on like 3 + years give or take. And while I do have a good supply of toons new and old up to 7 stars some of them were no easy task. While i know spending crystals on refreshes rather than shards from shipments is a much better payout, I've been trying to come up with a more efficient farming strategy that works with my limited crystal income. My shard farming tactic right now is shard farming in the morning before noon and using all remaining energy after 12pm for gear farming. I've been saving crystals for hard to farm gear and thought about other ways to increase my shard payout without blowing my crystal account. I thought that maybe saving any potential refreshes of hard modes until after 9pm so that whatever additional energy points spent could carry over into tomorrow's guild ticket accumulation. But what are some of your best strategies if there are any?
    The first, and most important strategy tip, is never stop farming shards for toons / ships. Even if the community at large decry the toon or ship as useless. The Raddus event is a case in point. As things stand I have only got Hux, FOSiT, Y-wing and Hyena bomber as farmable toons / ships that aren’t 7*. If you’ve got things at 7*, you stand a chance when they drop surprise requirements on you.

Second of all, when you’ve decided what your farming targets are, make sure you refresh energy 3x daily, and refresh the node at least once daily. 10 sims a day means you’ll finish the project twice as fast. 15 sims a day, three times as fast.

Right now I’m spending 720 energy a day on 10 sims each for Hux, FOSiT, Hyena Bomber and Ywing. Part of me thinks I should drop 2 of them, up it to 15 sims a day on the other 2 then go back to farming gear / kyro with the rest. But, we need the two ships for LSGeoTB platoons, and the Hyena bomber is the key to getting 3* in last ship zone of DSGeoTB. And as for Hux and the red trooper - it is beyond obvious that they’ll be needed soon for something rather important.

TL;DR: pick your farms. If you’ve got a few left to finish, be selective and concentrate on them with refreshes. As soon as you finish one, pick another, and never stop shard farming!
  • Finish characters.

Crystal refresh Cantina.

Your daily energy and ship energy needs to stay consistent with where you spend it.

I have
    < 20 shards left for Wicket
    < 10 for Houndsfang
    < 100 for Talzin
    < 100 for Zombie
    Fang, Wicket, Talzin, Zombie is my order for
    1. B done with that damned ship
    2. Never spend energy on Lickit again and get his zeta mats from now on
    3. Same for Talzin
    4. Need a good zombie for NS

Finishing Elderly Chew in Cantina for RJT, then it is 100% back to JKR farming for me.

Zaalbar, Mission, T3.
    The bottlenecks are all Cantina. Spend your crystals there.
  • If you have limited crystals, best strategy is to only refresh hard nodes and ship nodes 3x a day for a total of 300.. if you’re completing all your tasks and not spending any crystals, you should be able to regenerate crystals as fast as you spend them on refreshes, over time.. I wouldn’t spend crystals on gear if you are low. Only buy gear with crystals on panic farms, and only if it gets you close to competing your farm. that’s my strategy, so others could differ.

I disagree. Cantina are still the bottlenecks. 3 of the 5 for Revan LS are there, JTR vets, Kylo, and so on. I am only doing rough shard farming balancing in my head, but you should be getting 2 shards per toon of interest per day (3 toons for me) from energy and ship energy. Cantina should be giving you more with crystal refreshes and to make up for more direct requirements for legendaries . I might be wrong.
  • I disagree. Cantina are still the bottlenecks. 3 of the 5 for Revan LS are there, JTR vets, Kylo, and so on. I am only doing rough shard farming balancing in my head, but you should be getting 2 shards per toon of interest per day (3 toons for me) from energy and ship energy. Cantina should be giving you more with crystal refreshes and to make up for more direct requirements for legendaries . I might be wrong.

You do more than five sims a day on a cantina node. That means it progresses faster than a hard node farm.
  • I disagree. Cantina are still the bottlenecks. 3 of the 5 for Revan LS are there, JTR vets, Kylo, and so on. I am only doing rough shard farming balancing in my head, but you should be getting 2 shards per toon of interest per day (3 toons for me) from energy and ship energy. Cantina should be giving you more with crystal refreshes and to make up for more direct requirements for legendaries . I might be wrong.

You do more than five sims a day on a cantina node. That means it progresses faster than a hard node farm.

Definitely. I see where the amount of toons needed there can seem daunting, but they really do go much faster.
  • Zaalbar, Mission, T3.

3 of the 5 for Revan LS are there,

FYI.

Zaalbar is NOT in Cantina.

He's in Light/Gold & Fleet/Blue nodes.

Just thought you should know so you can be farming w/ with your Gold/Blue now since its a slow farm.
  • theatomicpun
    492 posts Member
    edited February 2020
    Never refresh hard nodes. It is a waste of crystals. It makes you feel like you have accomplished something faster but in reality you are usually still waiting on gear by the time the character is 7 star, which means you spend up the shard farm for nothing as the character isn't useable at that point anyway.

Use known drop rates of gear and shards to calculate how much time it will take you to get the character in question to your star/gear goal, and only spend crystals on gear/hard node refreshes if you absolutely need the character sooner than that calculation shows.

Spend crystals on energy refreshes. This game is a marathon unless you are willing to spend.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Never refresh hard nodes. It is a waste of crystals. It makes you feel like you have accomplished something faster but in reality you are usually still waiting on gear by the time the character is 7 star, which means you spend up the shard farm for nothing as the character isn't useable at that point anyway.

Use known drop rates of gear and shards to calculate how much time it will take you to get the character in question to your star/gear goal, and only spend crystals on gear/hard node refreshes if you absolutely need the character sooner than that calculation shows.

Spend crystals on energy refreshes. This game is a marathon unless you are willing to spend.

This is a great way to not be ready for an event.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Never refresh hard nodes. It is a waste of crystals. It makes you feel like you have accomplished something faster but in reality you are usually still waiting on gear by the time the character is 7 star, which means you spend up the shard farm for nothing as the character isn't useable at that point anyway.

So your advice is to never refresh hard nodes, unless you need to finish the character in time for the event?
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    How much better would the forums be if people who don’t know what they are talking about didn’t give advice? I don’t mean actual differences of opinion on something, but just flat out wrong advice.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    How much better would the forums be if people who don’t know what they are talking about didn’t give advice? I don’t mean actual differences of opinion on something, but just flat out wrong advice.

24% better.
  • Gifafi wrote: »

They’d be a lot quieter, that’s for sure.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Trying to be ready for events when you don't know the exact requirements is a waste of crystals. If you refresh hard nodes for a character that isn't needed for an event, you have just wasted crystals starring a useless toon. Even if the event just gets delayed, those refreshes could have been spent on gear.

OP asked for most efficient farming strategies on limited crystal income, so unless you are at a place where you only need to farm newly released characters/ships, you should be targeting events with known requirements.

Therefore, it is most efficient to not refresh hard nodes. Instead, determine how many shards you need and what hear to farm, and grind it out.

I have gotten every legendary/journey/epic character on the 1st or 2nd pass of the event.

Hoard gear and crystals and spend them only when you are close enough and need to make it in time for an event. That is the most efficient way to manage resources.
  • Hey brother I have found no matter where u farm ur char shards to only battle 1 sim at a time. Yes it's a pain but I get better odds this way. I am farming 100 shards about every 10 days per char and I am working on 6 atm. A extra hint here for gear for ya, make sure every piece you use has speed as a secondary mod no exceptions and for every char.
  • I am farming 100 shards about every 10 days per char and I am working on 6 atm.

Press X to doubt
  • To the OP. I assume you are not going for toons like GAS and upcoming Galactic Legends upon release. If that is the case, then I would like to echo a few points others have made.

First, don't quit on a farm if you have started it.
    Second, 4 to 6 hard nodes at a time. Rest to gear.
    Third, don't refresh the nodes. I break this rule on occasion if I go 0 for 5, and when I get close to the end. The latter is just stupidity on my part, but I have no impulse control.

Finally, I would recommend farming a faction at the same time.

Best of luck. Keep grinding.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Hey brother I have found no matter where u farm ur char shards to only battle 1 sim at a time. Yes it's a pain but I get better odds this way.

No you don't.

The odds are always 33% no matter how many sims you do.