New Player looking for advice on store packs

Hello I'm quite new to the game and would like to buy the odd pack to help me along on my progression journey.

Do you have any advice on what packs to go for and what are the best value? I see there is a 'Refined Crystal Cache' pack new to the store but wary of going for it and wasting my money. I spent £10gbp on a pack and ended up with 5 shards for a toon. It didn't seem worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Did you purchase the Hyperdrive Bundle?
  • Did you purchase the Hyperdrive Bundle?

I didn't. I started from scratch.
  • I didn't. I started from scratch.

It's possible that the Hyperdrive Bundle is still the best value for money pack available, then - what's your current level?
  • I didn't. I started from scratch.

It's possible that the Hyperdrive Bundle is still the best value for money pack available, then - what's your current level?

Thanks. Its currently 55.
  • Thanks. Its currently 55.

I'd recommend looking into how much that bundle will benefit you; I can't speak from experience as I was at end-game long before the bundle was created, but it seems to me to be a very good deal for newer players who are prepared to spend a little to catch up
  • MasterTomski
    4 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks. Its currently 55.

I'd recommend looking into how much that bundle will benefit you; I can't speak from experience as I was at end-game long before the bundle was created, but it seems to me to be a very good deal for newer players who are prepared to spend a little to catch up

That's a good idea. I'm wary though of the fact I'll skip the 'grind'. It might seem crazy but I do quite enjoy this. I was looking at the smaller packs to give me a slight boost here and there rather than skip the progression if that makes sense? Do you think the other packs such as the refined crystal cache are worth a punt?

Thanks

• Hortus
    614 posts Member
    Hyperdrive bundle is by far THE best price/benefit pack for virtually any account except very high end ones (even when you don't need to level any of those characters anymore and only need gear and other resources included). For new player spending on other packs without buying Hyperdrive would be a waste imho.

Spending crystals directly for buying character shards or packs is generally bad investment unless you are exactly know what are you doing. Spending on gear pieces is better but spending on energy and farming node refreshes is more profitable in long run up to at least 3 refreshes per day.

Also one-time gear/resources packs generally has better price/benefit rate.
  • That's a good idea. I'm wary though of the fact I'll skip the 'grind'. It might seem crazy but I do quite enjoy this. I was looking at the smaller packs to give me a slight boost here and there rather than skip the progression if that makes sense? Do you think the other packs such as the refined crystal cache are worth a punt?

Thanks

I completely agree regarding the rewarding feeling obtained from "the grind", which is why I have spent very, very little on this game in the 4 years that I have been playing. And it is due to that fact that I will graciously defer to other players' judgement on the value of the smaller packs :)
  • Hortus wrote: »
    Hyperdrive bundle is by far THE best price/benefit pack for virtually any account except very high end ones (even when you don't need to level any of those characters anymore and only need gear and other resources included). For new player spending on other packs without buying Hyperdrive would be a waste imho.

Spending crystals directly for buying character shards or packs is generally bad investment unless you are exactly know what are you doing. Spending on gear pieces is better but spending on energy and farming node refreshes is more profitable in long run up to at least 3 refreshes per day.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may go for the smaller pack and continue the grind. I will bear in mind your comments about spending on gear and refreshes. I think this will be the best way to assemble a team.

Would you say, then, to avoid the 'Chromium' and 'Faction' packs?

• Hortus wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I think I may go for the smaller pack and continue the grind. I will bear in mind your comments about spending on gear and refreshes. I think this will be the best way to assemble a team.

Would you say, then, to avoid the 'Chromium' and 'Faction' packs?

Yes, imo avoid all of the shard packs for crystals (that award a random number of shards). They are generally a terrible value. An exception to this early on are the Journey guide faction mega packs that guarantee a full character with each purchase.

Other than that, most $ packs are a good relative value (compared to what the contents would cost in crystals), however some are better than others. Pretty much anything short of zetas can be converted into a crystal value, so that is helpful when determining how valuable a pack is to you.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    In general, don't buy packs where you don't know exactly what you'll be getting, because you'll probably get crap. And buying crystals is a worse value than the "bundles," assuming that you need all or most of the stuff in the bundle.

The Hyperdrive bundle is the best value you can get by several orders of magnitude. I wouldn't worry about "missing out on the grind." You'll quickly see that the grind never really ends.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• It's been a year now, and if you're still grinding away F2P and have NOT yet purchased the HyperDrive bundle, I can tell you from similar experience it is WELL WORTH BUYING, and likely the only major bundle worth buying until you have purchased the Hyperdrive.

Believe me, there will NEVER be an end to the "rewarding grind of progress" - it's just that you immediately raise your sights to where a someday-legendary-character is a possibility.

Aside from the massive character shards and Credit drop to level them up, you'll have access to SIM a majority of the daily Events, battles, etc. and that immediately increases your rate of growth forever.
    You can always go back to individual battles that you are not "simming" and fight them out manually for that "1st time" minor bonus of a crystal or whatever.

If you decided as a F2P that it may be worth it to budget yourself a $9.99 bundle of some kind, of which there are few, each month over the next year, you'd have MORE money in, and LESS useful reward compared to the Hyperdrive.

It immediately gave me motivation to have more fun playing at a higher level, was still like a self-reward for my year long F2P efforts, and gave me sufficient squads to be useful to a MUCH better and fun Guild - and THAT is where the game gets a lot more fun.
  • HyperDrive bundle is generally the best deal. The question is: do you want to spend a hundred bucks on a mobile game.

If you do buy the HyperDrive bundle: START OVER! This will get you a brand new arena shard, which you can rank super high in, and use those rewards to stay at the top. Your current arena shard is already established, starting over won't hurt you hardly at all, and you'll get that fresh arena shard.
  • If you do start over, focus hard on gaining Geonosian shards in the Cantina Battles b/c Geonosians are not part of the Hyperdrive bundle. Likewise, pick things to farm in regular battles that are not included in Hyperdrive.

Then when you unlock Squad Arena through normal progress, on that same day, buy the Hyperdrive Bundle. Since you don't get matched with an Arena shard until you actually unlock arena, you can get some additional resources compared to people who buy the HB on day 1.

If you do NOT start over, wait until the day you hit level 60 to buy the hyperdrive bundle & focus between now & then on ships that are not in the HB. When you hit level 60 you'll be assigned a Fleet Arena shard. Then that same day, purchase the HB and go for broke in Fleet Arena. FA is much easier to max out rewards. If I were starting over & purchasing HB, I would certainly play to level 60 focussing as much as possible on pilots & ships not included in HB, then purchase HB the moment I turned 60 and begin taking 1st place right away. You can use those crystals to invest in toons that are both good pilots and good Squad Arena toons (like JKA, Fives & Ahsoka who can be used right away in a Padmé squad as soon as you unlock her).

In any case, if you're serious about boosting the power of your roster, make sure that you're in a guild that sims Rancor & HAAT, and that beats Heroic Sith every time. There are many good guilds that do this that would be happy to take on an early-game player who purchases the HB.
  • EA_Joz
    4056 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/127295/forum-guidelines

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.