Is Darth Maul bad in pvp?

I pulled Darth Maul in a bronzium pack few days ago.. Then I got some shards in Chronium packs and he's now 5*.. But Idk how to use him properly he's gear is at level 5. And all his skills expect the Leader one are in level 4. I found he is really slow, and low health. But he can pull a lot of damage to Jedi. When I battle someone in arena I always go for Jedis and yeah he's very effective. I always kill a Jedi in the first round of turns. In hard battles sometimes he's first to go down. And when it comes to defend my rank. I feel like people burst him down quickly. So the question is quite simple. Is he good for pvp or not ? I don't want to waste all my resources on him. Thanks in advance and sorry for bad English.

Replies

• Justin7402
    46 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    He hits extremely hard, especially against jedi, but he's slow and doesn't have much hp. He probably wouldn't be bad on an attacking team, but he's extremely easy to pick off if he's on your defending team. If you want to use him I would switch him out for someone else on your last match of the day so people don't get easy 4v5 matches against you.
  • Justin7402 wrote: »
    He hits extremely hard, especially against jedi, but he's slow and doesn't have much hp. He probably wouldn't be bad on an attacking team, but he's extremely easy to pick off if he's on your defending team. If you want to use him I would switch him out for someone else on your last match of the day so people don't get easy 4v5 matches against you.

Btw, do you know if his leader ability (dodge %) affects him too ? Or just his allies ? Because I can put him as leader so he can survive more turns.
  • Leader abilities always affect the leader unit as well if they fall under the category the buff is applied to, which, as a rule, they always do. I don't think there are any cases that support otherwise. It's more obvious with Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee, as they heal each turn as leader.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • Okay thanks @Pure_Pazaak
  • That might work.. I will switch him the last fight, and I will post here how it goes. Thanks bud @Justin7402
  • He's easy pickings for the attacker but that's pretty much everything in general. Pvp is geared towards attacking and you can focus fire with ease.
  • Samurai316 wrote: »
    I pulled Darth Maul in a bronzium pack few days ago.. Then I got some shards in Chronium packs and he's now 5*.. But Idk how to use him properly he's gear is at level 5. And all his skills expect the Leader one are in level 4. I found he is really slow, and low health. But he can pull a lot of damage to Jedi. When I battle someone in arena I always go for Jedis and yeah he's very effective. I always kill a Jedi in the first round of turns. In hard battles sometimes he's first to go down. And when it comes to defend my rank. I feel like people burst him down quickly. So the question is quite simple. Is he good for pvp or not ? I don't want to waste all my resources on him. Thanks in advance and sorry for bad English.

He's good for midgame pvp till about level 50 with his insane damage that is significantly damaging to many characters . You didn't mention your level.
  • I'm level 45 @xJazzx thank you btw I don't want to spend resources on him if he loses value in high level pvp. Any suggestions ?
  • So if he's an easy target. Should I replace him ? What would you do ? @Darkness
  • Samurai316 wrote: »
    So if he's an easy target. Should I replace him ? What would you do ? @Darkness

I'm just saying if you are attacking and winning don't worry. But trying to defend is kind of pointless lol
  • Defending with him works fine if the opponent cant burst him down before he gets off his AoE, havign healers to stop him getting killed before he makes a turn helps a lot with this. I cant beat darth maul when im attacking players with him atm because I dont have a magical 7k damage in one hit character to take him otu before he wrecks jedi healers/any other jedi you have.
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Samurai316 wrote: »
    I'm level 45 @xJazzx thank you btw I don't want to spend resources on him if he loses value in high level pvp. Any suggestions ?

It depends on your server competitiveness. In the long run, say a month or two later, you are going to have issues with defending positions which may matter in some ways if you don't expect to be online before the rush to rank up before the deadline This is because Maul will be decimated within 2-3 attacks meaning you will effectively have 4 toons after the first round. You can guesstimate by looking at his max hp. I think at level 60 and 5 star, he has around 6000hp. Most criticals are at least 2000. Characters with buffs probably hit at least 3k.

Suggestion.. I'll keep leveling him at gear level 6 and use him until you can feel his dominance wearing off. Another way is to invest in a couple of healers to back him up.
  • xJazzx wrote: »
    Samurai316 wrote: »
    I'm level 45 @xJazzx thank you btw I don't want to spend resources on him if he loses value in high level pvp. Any suggestions ?

It depends on your server competitiveness. In the long run, say a month or two later, you are going to have issues with defending positions which may matter in some ways if you don't expect to be online before the rush to rank up before the deadline This is because Maul will be decimated within 2-3 attacks meaning you will effectively have 4 toons after the first round. You can guesstimate by looking at his max hp. I think at level 60 and 5 star, he has around 6000hp. Most criticals are at least 2000. Characters with buffs probably hit at least 3k.

Suggestion.. I'll keep leveling him at gear level 6 and use him until you can feel his dominance wearing off. Another way is to invest in a couple of healers to back him up.
    Alright, thanks for the advice.
  • Akster wrote: »
    Defending with him works fine if the opponent cant burst him down before he gets off his AoE, havign healers to stop him getting killed before he makes a turn helps a lot with this. I cant beat darth maul when im attacking players with him atm because I dont have a magical 7k damage in one hit character to take him otu before he wrecks jedi healers/any other jedi you have.
    I will add another healer to the squad. I'm running one at the moment (Luminara)

• Don't worry about him as a defender as frankly trying to form a defensive team just won't work yet due to the advantages attackers gain. Any unit can be focused down and killed, Maul is no exception. Though very few can chain kill other characters, get stronger with each kill and inflict double dmg on Jedi, leaving you able to one shot healers with a crit.
  • You have identified his 2 main weaknesses:
    -low health
    -slow

He is decent when you are attacking, but on defense many players will kill him first and he might not even get to attack once.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Maul is a BEAST if you have a tank that can draw aggro. Thats the key to keeping him alive through the first round when the AI is playing your squad. Without that taunt more times than not he doesn't make it out of the first round. Han is a great synergy for Maul as he can not only keep Maul alive but buff him with offensive up as well. And you havent seen anything till you see Mauls AOE buffed by offensive up. It's devestating.
  • I've used him in my team and he's quite fantastic on offense. As others have mentioned, defense in this game is fundamentally pointless due to focus fire so it's no major deal if he's stuck on it.

If you're worried about defense, another idea talked about a lot on here lately is running with no healers and straight attackers and hope for the best with rng and ai. If you force the opponent to choose for example between focusing on Leia, Fotie pilot, Daka or Maul and throw a tank in then there's a fair chance maul might survive :)
  • I pair him with Phasma and use her advantage + turn meter ability first thing. His weakness is he is SLOW as hell. If you have Sidious then the person you're up against is going to have to decide who to burn down first.

With advantage + crit Maul will one hit kill a lot of jedi. You have to get him to act in middle of the turn and hopefully get a killing blow. Phasma is key to that. Once you get the critical buff if you can turn the instant turn meter into the AOE you've decimated the enemy team.
  • Maul is only slow until he starts killing people (which if they are Jedi is VERY fast). He keeps on smacking after every kill. I usually use AoE's from other toons to soften up opponents then send in Maul with his single shot (not AoE) to kill them one by one in one round.

He is a beast. He has his own heal after a couple kills (plus crit boosts and evasion boosts) as well.

His biggest drawback (which I've pointed to many times already on this forum) is the fact that he is Chromium only. This means he is mega expensive to stay competitive. He's a $1000 toon, basically. At least if you want to use him post low-50s.

• He is one of the kindoms' lord who can dominate arena.