Experience from a 'soft launch' player

Prev1
SeroZero
154 posts Member
edited November 2015
It's starting to get crowded here, which is a good thing. However it comes with more and more people speaking up about some imbalance and most commonly, as if to follow the herd: "EA sucks, IAPs to suck us dry!" :(
We have somehow forgotten, how much worse it was for Clash of clans, summoners wars etc.

Oh come on, less speculating and enjoy the game!

So yes, maybe some guys spent money and got better characters which you might find 'OP' at your levels (20s-40s).

Slowly when you reach level 60 caps, you will start noticing who the real powerful characters are, when their skills/leader/better gear choices make them REALLY strong. And learn to use what you have on hand, to make the most competitive team.

It's a whole different world at level 60
By level 60, you will realize which characters are 'farmable' and which are just not worth the time unless you can buy so many packs, get so many dupes and therefore shards, to get them to 7*.

Soft Launch pvp brackets (all level 60s, 5-7*, purple geared characters), still uses starter/non-paid units. Not because they do not have other better characters, but these are the ones easily 7*, all-rounders or really great at doing a particular role. Or simply, their stats rocks.

Don't be disappointed if you aren't a big spender, I ain't one too and I'm able to rank top10 in arena
Did you know you can draw up to 4* characters from bronze draws (the free/250FP ones)? I've played for 2 months+, and I've gotten from bronze draw:
  • 4* Bounty Hunter,
  • 3* Plo Koon,
  • 3* hoth rebel,
  • 3* hoth rebel scout,
  • 2* Princess Leia
  • and a whole lot of other 2*/1* and shards.

That saying... I don't like any of these guys, except for bounty hunter whom I used for Galactic War as 2nd team, so I didn't put most of them to use haha. But the point is, Capital Games is kind of generous to an extent.

So how much have I spent and how far I've achieved?
I've been 'camping' for this game since news of it came out somewhere in August. When they soft launched it, I was luckily part of the chosen countries, specifically Singapore. That was somewhere around early or mid September. And I've been in it till now.

I've spent on:
  1. Dark side pack: For dooku
  2. 1st Chronium pack x10: Got 4* Darth Sidious from it (Packs where in 10s back then)
  3. 2nd Chronium pack x10: Got 3* Darth Maul from it (which stayed level 1, 3* till today)
  4. That's all for paid items, till now. All further purchases of packs were from crystal rewards

Total spent: 6 + 26 + 26 = SG$ 58

Where am I now? Ending arena rankings daily at least, in the top10, usually in the top 3 places. Here's an image of where I am now, 6 hours after rewards (was 3rd when rewards were sent)
9cwezQr.png

What I have now:
Q7rPOEB.jpg
Post edited by SeroZero on

Replies

• This is a beautiful post SeroZero. Thank you for doing this to help educate the new players. I believe someone, maybe Jesse w EA, should create a bigger answers section here so the same questions aren't asked repeatedly.

A tip for new players. Many games will soft launch and you can side load the file on Android. Although not available on the locked down official Google Play store, they are out there. It's how I'm an American who got in on the game early.
  • +1 great info!
  • If you buy packs you end up with characters that cannot be made stronger. Its weird but they really don't want us to spend money.
  • Thanks for the really good post, SeroZero!
    And FYI I will be updating the FAQ later on today to answer some of the questions that keep getting asked.
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
  • Ander wrote: »
    If you buy packs you end up with characters that cannot be made stronger. Its weird but they really don't want us to spend money.

This is counterproductive in a number of ways mostly for EA. On one hand it's great that they allow you to most freely rank up the stock characters, but the thing that will keep me coming back the most is being able to rank up your favorites, not "Resistance Trooper"
  • I'm not familiar with this developer's naming conventions so perhaps someone can confirm which means what.

Beta = soft launch?
    Global = hard launch?

I've seen soft launch mentioned several times and now in contradictory manners including that the game was soft launched recently. An article mentioned that the game has been in beta for 6 months.
  • Thank you Jesse.

@dalvian , the terms soft launch and closed beta are often used interchangeably when discussing limited release mobile software.

This game was launched September 4th in a couple of places like Malaysia, then expanded to Australia and I believe Russia. Then a few days ago it was widely released to everyone on the Google Play store. Each nation has its own Play store BTW. Android can be altered to think its in whatever nation you wish. This is not the place to have that conversation though.
  • Thanks @Powerlifter450 that's what I needed. I've been in a few betas now but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find a game that doesn't do a decent job of becoming addictive! And most require NDA's which makes hearing about them tricky. ;)

I have to admit based on my experiences so far this game does a famous job of providing new features as you progress and the value of that first dooku deal is tremendous. I highly recommend it to every last player considering it. If you can only ever make one low purchase, just do it. It's much better to have dooku in your library when you finally face him in the game than not.

Kudos to the developers so far! I'm hooked.
  • @dalvian , you are welcome. It's been a long time since I had to sign an NDA. This game is super addictive. One way to find a game in beta is to read a press release about it. Once you know a game is in development you can keep searching for it and acquire it for yourself later.
  • Here's to many more achievements and success to you and the game ! ;)..
  • SeroZero
    154 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    @Ander That's not entirely true. In my arena rankings, those capable of fielding the strongest pvp setup now (in my opinion), are the ones that purchased data packs. They are able to field the 'counter-attack team', which consists of:
    1. Ima-Gun-Di (leader, data pack unique, but now has 2 very high level hard modes that drops)
    2. Aayla Secura (data pack unique)
    3. Kit Fisto (data pack unique)
    4. Barriss Offee (data pack promotion item, also farmable in some hard mode areas)
    5. Dooku / Lumi / Jedi consular / Obi wan / Qui Gon (whichever they got stronger here)

But to field a team like that (all units have health bars like tanks, they can counter-attack forever). You need to spend lots, to get them all to 6/7*.

After doing so, you will win offense battles 99% of the time, and defense battles ~60% of the time.

(This is the only pvp setup, I can only hope to defeat ~30% of the time)

So...
    Does paying help? Definitely yes.
    Does paying guarantee you win? Not exactly, but your teams are definitely stronger
    Does F2P stand a chance against them? Offensive yes, you still can defeat them (at least I can :smiley: )
  • Well done Sero. SWGOH may at first seem like a P2W game and there are obvious advantages, such as unlocking and promoting characters faster, but there are so many free options to build up Heroes...it's just takes a bit more time. Have patience and many will have a competitive Squad before the level Cap is raised...that is, if they plan resource use efficiently, play daily, and prioritize.
    SWGoHCantina.com - Database of everything SWGoH. Fear the Boot |FTB| - One of the 1st Elite Alliances.
  • It clearly states on the bronze draw what it can drop And 4* characters is not one of the options.
  • Montanx wrote: »
    It clearly states on the bronze draw what it can drop And 4* characters is not one of the options.
    That same text has been there since launch, and some of us have really rolled out 3/4* characters from it, we can only assume that it listed the regular drops, but there is that lottery 1st prize mechanic somewhere in it. (more evidence from Kylven's guides in SWGoHCantina.com)

I've no idea if it still applies since the global launch update, but only 2 days ago, I managed to draw out 2* Ahsoka. The idea is, the drop rates from bronzium is actually decent.
  • Good post Sero. CG are doing a bang up job so far IMO - I played Heroes of Dragon Age for a long time and even immediately after release SWGOH is a much better game. Release a few more characters over time, keep balance in check (most difficult thing to do but probably also biggest issue ATM) and the game will keep being great. Enjoying it very much. Can also confirm higher than 2* characters are still dropping from bronze after global launch - I finally pulled my first character from bronze, a 3* Stormtrooper. My girlfriend pulled Mace Windu and Ima-Gun Di back to back also from bronze... *facepalm*
  • I pulled a 4* from bronze this morning..my first full character unlock.
  • I just pulled ima-gun-di from bronze pack
  • Some people have all the luck!
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    I cant get that lucky spending chrono as you guys do on bronze. Ive dropped around 50 bucks on chronos hoping the lottery gods would give me Old Ben. They didn't. They did give me a 4 star Lando ( his aoe is sick) and tons of shards for characters I have no want or need for. Only a fool with slight **** would keep trying for Old Ben...and Im going to keep trying lol.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    WhipiT wrote: »
    I cant get that lucky spending chrono as you guys do on bronze. Ive dropped around 50 bucks on chronos hoping the lottery gods would give me Old Ben. They didn't. They did give me a 4 star Lando ( his aoe is sick) and tons of shards for characters I have no want or need for. Only a fool with slight **** would keep trying for Old Ben...and Im going to keep trying lol.

I'll bet you a nickel he shows up in a $50 pack within the next three months.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I would prefer to pay for a known character that I like.
  • I start playing this Game with global launch and on my Server the highest Player is ~level 47.
    On rank 19 is a player with a 7*Kit Fisto.How much have he spend on chrono packs?^^

I got a 4* Boba 2 days ago from bronze pack.
    He has not much HP for a Tank.
    Is he worth upgrading?I see him in your roster.
  • Ander wrote: »
    I pulled a 4* from bronze this morning..my first full character unlock.
    SeroZero wrote: »
    Montanx wrote: »
    It clearly states on the bronze draw what it can drop And 4* characters is not one of the options.
    That same text has been there since launch, and some of us have really rolled out 3/4* characters from it, we can only assume that it listed the regular drops, but there is that lottery 1st prize mechanic somewhere in it.

No offense but im gonna have to see this to believe it. It clearly says it only drops 1-2* so ill side with it til I get visual confirmation. If its giving 4* its a bug.
  • Montanx wrote: »
    No offense but im gonna have to see this to believe it. It clearly says it only drops 1-2* so ill side with it til I get visual confirmation. If its giving 4* its a bug.

Well I'm not to judge your opinion of it. But both players before global, right now during global, and many others have managed to get their 3/4* from data packs. Although at a very very low probability, I wish to show that the possibility exists.

Bug in the text, or bug in the card rolls, I have no idea, and I'm sure no one does except the developers themselves. But if anything, EA Jesse has read this thread and haven't brought up any issue about it.

It benefits us anyway, and it exists right now. So I hope all the best of luck to your draws too!
  • SeroZero wrote: »
    Montanx wrote: »

Well I'm not to judge your opinion of it. But both players before global, right now during global, and many others have managed to get their 3/4* from data packs. Although at a very very low probability, I wish to show that the possibility exists.

Fair enough. I'm only considering one scenario, even if it's a reach. That you may have been mistaken and thought you got a 4* but it was from a regular chrom pack. Then people here see that and want to live vicariously so they SAY they got one as well to look cool. Now there's multiple people saying this so others want to join the fun and so they claim they got it as well. That's just human nature and the internet coming together gloriously.
  • I pulled a 4* Poggle the Lesser today from a Bronzium Data card, so it is possible!
    Community Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes | Follow me on Twitter - Darokaz
  • EA_Jesse wrote: »
    I pulled a 4* Poggle the Lesser today from a Bronzium Data card, so it is possible!

@Montanx
    Well if even our admin here got it, the truth has been spoken! Of cos there can be unlimited conspiracy theories we can all come up with. But lets just have a little faith in the world shall we? Hahaha :D
  • Out of 169 recorded bronze pulls, I show a 3% chance of pulling a full character. 4 Heroes out of 169, with only 1 being a 4 Star. It's possible, but you should toast your luckiness if you get one.
    SWGoHCantina.com - Database of everything SWGoH. Fear the Boot |FTB| - One of the 1st Elite Alliances.
  • Been playing since October, daily (minus a week or so in October), and I have received a couple of shards and I believe 2-3 characters. So I guess the rate is decent, though if the number of available heroes gets higher, I would love to see it increased. At least for the shard drops.
    Timba ~ f2p since October ~ on LINE timba_timba ~ [FTB]

• Eh, the game is certainly still setup to be P2W. Not quite as bad as Summoners war, but give it time. And you only focused on units. This game is far more pay to win when it comes to energy. Energy is depleted way too fast and too expensive to fill up. There are also no free energy giveaways throughout the day, as opposed to Summoners war that gives people energy simply for playing while also giving the ability to replenish energy faster.

The leveling up system is also better in Summoners war. Much easier to make a 6* in SW than a 7* in this game.

I really enjoy this game, but a week in and I really see some issues. The shop prices besides the count package are overpriced. As mentioned before, energy is too hard to come by. Level up a units stars is quite arduous. The PvP system needs to be completely redone. Only 5 times a day unless you pay? That's absurd. The shipment should refresh every hour. There are many more

Great game to start, but some major things that can limit its potential as other players come to these conclusions. First and foremost, the energy system needs to be rethought.