Computer Help

Hey everyone. I really don't know where to ask this, since not a lot of people know. My hope is one random person on here may be able to help. So, since pretty much forever, whenever I download something, I can never pass 2 MB per second download. I've never downloaded anything faster than 2 MB per second. However, when I run a speed test, it says my download speed is 9.5 MB per second. Why is there such a difference? How can I improve my normal download speed?

Replies

• Difficult to answer with limited info. PC or mobile device? Wifi or Ethernet? Could be your device hardware, router, cabling, background or startup processes, registry settings, all kinds of things.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Difficult to answer with limited info. PC or mobile device? Wifi or Ethernet? Could be your device hardware, router, cabling, background or startup processes, registry settings, all kinds of things.
    PC. Download speed remains consistent at 2 MBs or less on both wifi or ethernet.
  • What kind of PC?
  • And what operating system?
  • And what operating system?

Omen by HP. Windows 10.
  • I was hoping you’d say Dell.
    First thing, make sure you’re running an up to date antivirus program and maybe run a deep scan. Malware can sap your resources.
    Second thing you could do is open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. You can individually stop processes by right clicking the process and selecting End Process and see if it helps. Some are obvious what they are and some aren’t, just google what they might be. Ending them won’t hurt your computer since you can just reboot and they’ll start back up. Some computer manufacturers add unnecessary programs as part of their own packages. If you find an unnecessary process, go over to the Services tab, right click it and select Stop. Just be sure to note what you did just in case. If you End and process and don’t Stop it, it will just start again next time you reboot.
    All that being said, there might not be anything you can do. Speed tests use optimal test servers and may not be accurate for real use. 10 mbps is pretty low these days, I’m guessing you have DSL which has pretty limited performance.
  • I was hoping you’d say Dell.
    First thing, make sure you’re running an up to date antivirus program and maybe run a deep scan. Malware can sap your resources.
    Second thing you could do is open Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. You can individually stop processes by right clicking the process and selecting End Process and see if it helps. Some are obvious what they are and some aren’t, just google what they might be. Ending them won’t hurt your computer since you can just reboot and they’ll start back up. Some computer manufacturers add unnecessary programs as part of their own packages. If you find an unnecessary process, go over to the Services tab, right click it and select Stop. Just be sure to note what you did just in case. If you End and process and don’t Stop it, it will just start again next time you reboot.
    All that being said, there might not be anything you can do. Speed tests use optimal test servers and may not be accurate for real use. 10 mbps is pretty low these days, I’m guessing you have DSL which has pretty limited performance.

Okay. Thank you. The problem has lasted for atleast 1-2 years, so while it could be a virus, I doubt it. I'll try some of the other steps next time I download something. Thanks.
  • AntiFunn wrote: »
    If all else fails, maybe try reinstalling Windows? lol.

There might be something about a setting that limits download speed to a certain amount but I am honestly not sure or have time to check sorry.

True, I've had to resort to reinstalling an OS many times.
    That's why I was hoping he had a Dell, I know exactly what program they install that throttles speeds.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    AntiFunn wrote: »

There might be something about a setting that limits download speed to a certain amount but I am honestly not sure or have time to check sorry.

That's why I was hoping he had a Dell, I know exactly what program they install that throttles speeds.

Why would they do that? And is it definitely limited to Dell?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    AntiFunn wrote: »

Why would they do that? And is it definitely limited to Dell?

It’s called smart byte and is some type of QoS software. I think it just doesn’t work well. It’s a 3rd party software so probably not limited to dell.
  • Could it be that the 2mb is not really an accurate speed? I've noticed that when I download stuff that the DL speed varies and isn't really consistent. American internet sucks where I'm at, so what do I know?