Why do I get so often the same opponent in GAC?

Prev1
Hi...

Lately I often get the same opponent in different rounds of GAC... Alone in this GAC I had two opponents doubled. In previous GACs I often had a opponent double... Is this a bug or just not a factor in their filter? I mean in every Devision are so much players... That should really not be an issue to make sure that you dont battle the same opponent during a GAC!

Replies

• Akenno
    538 posts Member
    If they would match you against people with the same points...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I'm curious. Could you please post a link to your profile on swgoh.gg just to show us how many times you met the same opponent?
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    I'm curious. Could you please post a link to your profile on swgoh.gg just to show us how many times you met the same opponent?

Just take a look at mine and this is only who I've faced. There have been more than just this doubling up in the group of 8.

https://swgoh.gg/p/889657739/gac-history/
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It is not a factor in the filter. So it is possible, and it always will be.

A few things to note, are you sure they are the same person, as in the same ally code. Names can be repeated.

In certain GP ranges it will always be more likely to repeat, as there are just less players.

They have stated that it is unlikely, but possible to face the same players, as each match for a GAC is made independently of the previous ones.

It should be fairly unlikely that this happens, and I suggest you record the ally codes and report it to Answers HQ once you have a bit of data for then to look at.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Saada wrote: »

Just take a look at mine and this is only who I've faced. There have been more than just this doubling up in the group of 8.

Are those two Dex you met identical? Could you link to his profile as well?
  • This is happening quite often in my guild. Most of us chat with our opponents so it's fairly easy to know if the opponent is the same or not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    CDFrawg wrote: »
    This is happening quite often in my guild. Most of us chat with our opponents so it's fairly easy to know if the opponent is the same or not.

Please record the data and send it as a bug report to Answers HQ. How often?

What GP range? Because there are places with this is common and there is not much that can be done.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Sure... here:
    https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/gac-history/?gac=13
    Today I faced Tio Ben that I had last week. And last week I had kthxbyelolz that I had fought the week before that.
  • Manolo_GER
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Kyno wrote: »

A few things to note, are you sure they are the same person, as in the same ally code. Names can be repeated.

In certain GP ranges it will always be more likely to repeat, as there are just less players.

They have stated that it is unlikely, but possible to face the same players, as each match for a GAC is made independently of the previous ones.

It should be fairly unlikely that this happens, and I suggest you record the ally codes and report it to Answers HQ once you have a bit of data for then to look at.

No it happens quite frequently! And I'm in Division 3... That should be a quite wide range of Opponents to meet.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Manolo_GER wrote: »

Sure... here:
    Today I faced Tio Ben that I had last week. And last week I had kthxbyelolz that I had fought the week before that.

Kthxbyelolz was indeed the same account both times.

Thanx. The first time I saw this.
  • Manolo_GER wrote: »

No it happens quite frequently! And I'm in Division 3... That should be a quite wide range of Opponents to meet.

Almost 1/3rd of your match making criteria toons are relics... Yes, Div 3 has plenty of people, but there are probably significantly less with a roster like yours.

Sure... here:

Kthxbyelolz was indeed the same account both times.

Thanx. The first time I saw this.

Tio Ben from today is also the same. I checked it.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member

Are those two Dex you met identical? Could you link to his profile as well?

Dex, canada fett and xs super are all the same guys. I've seen their roster so I know and I have been in contact with others since we are getting matched quite often. I know it's cause of the amount of g13 and r7s I have but I'm just putting it out there for those who don't believe that this is possible
  • Manolo_GER wrote: »

Almost 1/3rd of your match making criteria toons are relics... Yes, Div 3 has plenty of people, but there are probably significantly less with a roster like yours.

The matchmaking still is not doing a good job.. I often have opponents that have a much higher GP, more G12 Toons and more G13 toons... So I dont see how this should be relevant... If they dont manage to make fair fights in terms of teams, they should go back to simple GP comparism... At least then its fair for the people that put in more efford in building good teams...
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    Oh yeah.... dex and xs super are in my group again lol
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Oh yeah.... dex and xs super are in my group again lol

You have a lot of Relics.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    To be clearer, for each of the four GAs within a GAC the brackets are created without regard to the previous GAs so it is possible to see some of the same players in two or more GAs within a GAC.

For the three matches within a GA bracket previous matches are considered and you will not fight the same opponent twice.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

The matchmaking still is not doing a good job.. I often have opponents that have a much higher GP, more G12 Toons and more G13 toons... So I dont see how this should be relevant... If they dont manage to make fair fights in terms of teams, they should go back to simple GP comparism... At least then its fair for the people that put in more efford in building good teams...

Matches are far more even now when matching by top-X GP (and divisions + leagues) than they were back when matching by total GP. Back then there were a lot of completely uneven matches. I like the current matchmaking better by far.

(my win rate is more or less the same)
  • When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Matches are far more even now when matching by top-X GP, divisions and leagues than they were back when matching by total GP only. Back then there were a lot of completely uneven matches. I don't see those any more. I prefer the current matchmaking by far.

My win rate is more or less the same as before the change, but these more even matches are more fun.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

Matches are far more even now when matching by top-X GP, divisions and leagues than they were back when matching by total GP only. Back then there were a lot of completely uneven matches. I don't see those any more. I prefer the current matchmaking by far.

My win rate is more or less the same as before the change, but these more even matches are more fun.

I dont know... sometimes you have an easy bracket and win it and the next bracket I'm completly outmachted and get the last spot or maybe one win in the last fight angainst the weakest opponent in the group...
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

I dont know... sometimes you have an easy bracket and win it and the next bracket I'm completly outmachted and get the last spot or maybe one win in the last fight angainst the weakest opponent in the group...
    Sounds like you have a roster balance issue. Too much GP concentrated in a few squads most likely. Higher relic levels add a lot of matchmaking GP.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    When I compare to my todays opponent then we have both 3 more or less full relic teams, both 4 mixed relic and G12 teams but then I have 2 G12 teams and he has 6 G12 teams... So he outmatches me clearly...
    swgoh.gg roster links?

MIne: https://swgoh.gg/p/973864746/characters/

Tio Ben: https://swgoh.gg/p/265575518/characters/
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    @Manolo_GER Judging by your GAC history, your matches are quite even. The losses in the 2 most recent GAs were not caused by the matchmaking. (or at least, I would have played your offense and possibly also defense slightly differently)
    @Manolo_GER Judging by your GAC history, your matches are quite even. The losses in the 2 most recent GAs were not caused by the matchmaking. (or at least, I would have played your offense and possibly also defense slightly differently)

Playing smart is not the same as the number of available teams... 9 viable teams vs 13is quite a difference...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Playing smart is not the same as the number of available teams... 9 viable teams vs 13is quite a difference...

Since you actually could have won some of them instead of losing it seems like matchmaking was quite even.