Are there stat caps?

With the GL's having such high base speed it makes me wonder if there is a cap on speed in the game. Stat caps are a very common mechanic in games that allow you to customize your stats where people min/max because people always find the 1 key stat and build almost exclusively for it, and many devs don't like that so they'll use stat caps or diminishing returns (a soft cap) once you get past a certain point on that stat to prod people into diversifying their stat distribution.

So I was wondering if GL Rey and Kylo have such high base speed in order to put them relatively close to the cap so that people with them would be encouraged to spread out their mod focus instead of just focusing on speed.

I won't be getting either of these GL's, so I'm unable to test myself but if someone wants to test a mirror match with 2 Reys or 2 Kylos both over 500 speed but 1 a good 20+ speed faster than the other, you'd be able to find out if there's a hard cap easy enough if the faster one always goes first, if the start is RNG, then both characters hit a cap. If there's no hard cap, the slower GL can start walking back their speed and seeing if there's more and more of a difference or not proportionately to see if there's a soft cap.

I may ask this in next Q&A as well. Though I doubt my question will get picked and they'll focus on an art question instead.

Replies

• YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    There is not a stats cap. At least not one that is reasonably reachable.

Do note that this speed is not unprecedented. The 500+ range is where Devan teams end up once their ferocity starts stacking.
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    There is not a stats cap. At least not one that is reasonably reachable.

Do note that this speed is not unprecedented. The 500+ range is where Devan teams end up once their ferocity starts stacking.

I'm sure Rex can get close to that too after a fives sacrifice, but with those effects taking place during the battle during certain events and not being constant, it can be hard to test.

Having these high base speed characters just with really fast mods would be easier to test.
    I do know that stats don't always apply as you'd think they would, see accuracy vs dodge. You can still be dodged even if they only have 2% dodge chance and your character has 20+% accuracy.
  • Malevolan wrote: »
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    You can still be dodged even if they only have 2% dodge chance and your character has 20+% accuracy.

Shouldn’t be the case. Evasion chance = dodge - accuracy
  • Malevolan wrote: »
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    You can still be dodged even if they only have 2% dodge chance and your character has 20+% accuracy.

Shouldn’t be the case. Evasion chance = dodge - accuracy

I have it happen, I go to wind up a big hit on JKR with JKA, after having first dispelled his foresight with Yoda or Ahsoka's basic which whiffs (or connects in Ahsoka's case and dispels all his buffs), gets rid of the foresight, and Anakin, with 13.5% accuracy from his relic, whiffs on his basic, JKR only has 2% dodge chance, I've had it happen on other characters too. There was no turn between them it went GMY, then Anakin, and both whiffed. No evasion buffs or foresight, just whiffed when I expected a killing shot with 25 stacks of courage.

My thought? That either evasion chance can't go below 2%, or that accuracy reduces a % of their evasion stats. IE 13.5% OF 2%.
    Point is, mechanics aren't always clear to us even if we think what a stat does is obvious, and game developers frequently do things like diminishing returns or caps or ratings systems etc. This game does have some ratings systems in it, you'll see gear with +60 physical crit, that's a rating not +60% physical crit, and ratings systems ALWAYS involve diminishing returns.