Developer Q&A - 04/23/2020

Replies

• SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    - We are working on a new raid. Sike! We never were.

- Sandbox makes no money so no.

- Reworks? Lmao no.

- We are working on a “new” game mode we think players would love more than the “raid”. Aka another piece of false hope CG is giving us for content until they cancel it too.

- We have no plans for any actual content for the next upcoming months.

- Buy our new characters :)

- Buy our packs :)
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    dsdsds wrote: »
    so.... nothing is happening... when was the last new content? Sith raid?

LS Geo TB and new assault battle tiers.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

how quickly they forget... what about galactic legends? That was new content and was very recent. Just not for everyone...
  • dalosto147
    282 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    TVF wrote: »

Nothing new about that.

But Galaxy Legends its new content
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    dalosto147 wrote: »

Nothing new about that.

But Galaxy Legends its new content

GL and lstb are bad new content
    But they are content.

• Jakdnels wrote: »

how quickly they forget... what about galactic legends? That was new content and was very recent. Just not for everyone...

Cg specifically said they are working on new content and that they do not consider GLs to be new content in an update a few months back.

That is where this "GLs are not nee content" rhetoric comes from.
  • I recall one of the devs saying they didn't consider characters or upgraded assault missions or even new TBs 'new content', but I don't recall that being applied to the duel mechanic part of galactic legends. That is new to this game. Maybe not compelling and definitely not the endless well of content that has been teased for quite a while now, but it's new and it's content. I'll likely never play it though... cost of entry is way too high for me
  • Kurizir wrote: »
    SuperLui wrote: »
    Where will they post the answers to the questions submitted via SurveyMonkey?

Those were put into the same pile as “fix the GAC join button”

Which pile is that? The Junk/Spam Pile? the Deleted/Trash Pile? Or the Ignore/Avoid Pile?
  • pånøs
    152 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Am I the only one noticing the section bugs contains just two questions while game thriving with bugs, bug reports of any kind, never solved but only acknowledged and generally is an RNG fest to avoid get bugged and actually win a fight?
    Not to mention that dev tracker they were so hyped and is there as a decorative pot.
  • This was the worst Q&A since they started doing them. CG, why don't you take a page out of FoxNext's playbook and communicate on a weekly blog, in a YouTube video, and on an official Game Discord server instead?
  • KM1
    145 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    TOPIC: Art/Sound

Q: @CG_AU-D10 How do you design sound effects? Does it frustrate you that most players have the sound turned off?
    • A: CG_AU-D10 - That's a big question that I can answer in many ways! The audio team utilizes the audio from the movies as well as make our own sound effects, especially for Force users where the movies don't have a lot a sound for the Force. That said, that doesn't mean we grab sounds from the movies and just plop them in. A lot of the recordings are from the 70s and 80s, so we try to process them to be more clean and vibrant. When it comes to designing a sound around a character we have to think what that character represents. So, when I designed Malak, he is an evil dude who sucks the life out of people. In general, lower tones represent evil, and since he uses the force to drain the lifeforce of Jedi, I used breathy voices in my sound to represent that. As for the frustration part, a little, haha! But being a mobile user myself I understand. A lot of the time when I play a mobile game I'm not in an area where I'd want my sound on to disturb others, unless I had headphones. It makes me appreciate it more when I see comments on the work the audio team does. Let's me know at least someone out there gets to hear our work. :)

Q: What was the toughest challenge the team had with the audio?
    • A: CG_AU-D10 - We originally were using a lot of the same sounds for lightsabers. We decided that we wanted to update them to all sound different. So we made a specific sound for Green, Blue, Red, Purple, and Yellow saber users. Characters who have special sabers that have unique sounds to them are Kylo, Traya, and Ezra. For the colors, we had to think what the saber color represented and made the sounds from there. For example, Blue represents justice so we made a higher and brighter hum for it. Another example is purple is a combo of blue and red saber tones so you get both the bright and gritty. It took a lot of thought and care to represent these colors and we hope it brings a bit of extra character to the sabers and their users!

Q: I like the audio for Grand Arena Championship league promotion / mod upgrades, are those original sounds? What other original sounds have you developed? Like the rancor sound or any blaster effects or anything were in-house? Who voiced Darth Nihlus?
    • A: CG_AU-D10 - Thanks! Those are original! A lot of the force abilities are originals as well since there aren't a lot of sounds in the movies to represent them. Pretty much all of the UI buttons are originals as well. The song in the ship cantina is an original (you'll also see that the musicians are in time with the music!) The Rancor and blaster sounds are from the movies, but a lot of them are old recordings so we did spruce them up a little. Nihilus was one of us reading the Sith Code that we reversed and added a ton of effects to it to make it dark and mysterious.
    These were great responses. Amazing to learn about the level of thinking that goes into sound in this game. I'm not huge on sound but I do appreciate how the process of sounds of each lightsaber colors were made, and the part about villains having lower tones and stuff like that

Wow! So much thought about sound. And so little about real new content $Billion dollar game$.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited April 2020

"There's a tremendous amount of UI work that would go into a Sandbox mode. It's expensive"

giphy.gif

You serious?
  • Sooooooo... what other gameplay content are they working on now?

Don't get me wrong, I love that they're giving us the Mando and his pals, but seriously... no new game mode content? Not even a new raid?
  • khdelboy wrote: »
    Sooooooo... what other gameplay content are they working on now?

Don't get me wrong, I love that they're giving us the Mando and his pals, but seriously... no new game mode content? Not even a new raid?

They literally said they stopped working on a new raid for a different mode...
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Drazhar wrote: »

"There's a tremendous amount of UI work that would go into a Sandbox mode. It's expensive"

giphy.gif

You serious?

Designing, developing, and testing a UI is a very extensive process in software, acting like a true sandbox mode would not take an immense amount of work is just lying to yourself.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • To speak on the sandbox mode - CG always gave a hard no - except for one Q and A or RA or State of the Galaxy, whichever one it was. This was around the time the new lead producer was introduced.
  • @CG_TopHat please hand this game over to another company who cares about star wars and making this game better. A lot of us still love this game and want to continue to play it for years to come. It's obvious CG doesn't care about this game or the community anymore. Pass it on and move on. It's a win win for everyone. Stop trying to run this game into the ground and do the right thing for once.
  • CG, why did you force us to relic characters that aren't even usable in the Galactic Legends event? Requirements like relic 7 palpatine, relic 3 vet smuggler han solo. All of the events in the past normally made use of the characters that you said we needed. For example, the requirements for GAS were laid out for each tier and we didnt have to gear up or relic toons we wouldnt use for the event. It makes Galactic Legends a huge scam in my opinion and makes you look like you only care about money, not about giving the players an awesome in-game experience.
  • After reading the Q&A, I'm more convinced that CG does not care at all about our community of players. I've loved this game for 2.5 years, and I still do, but I'm feeling the pressure to quit. Admittedly, I whaled in Jan and Feb when COVID-19 shut down my home area. I geared, bought characters, had some fun, but my enjoyment has been utterly crushed by the very disappointing Galactic Legends event, the slow and monetary focused response from CG to the COVID event (new packs.... sigh), and now, this QA that shut down everything most of us want... a sandbox to allow at least guild members to play each other, new raid, character reworks, etc.... So much of the QA was awful and your justifications were even worse! :(
  • I question what the point of the Q&A was from their end. Who possibly thought those answers would be a good idea?

The Q&A answers were so bad that a dev said that there is no difference between +120% and +100% defense and implied that +100% defense means a character takes no damage and I haven’t seen anyone else call them out on it yet. Too many other things to complain about.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I question what the point of the Q&A was from their end. Who possibly thought those answers would be a good idea?

The Q&A answers were so bad that a dev said that there is no difference between +120% and +100% defense and implied that +100% defense means a character takes no damage and I haven’t seen anyone else call them out on it yet. Too many other things to complain about.

They didn't imply that at all.
    zq0mow8c0lev.png

no one called them out on it, because they didn't. This one is a stretch even for you.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I question what the point of the Q&A was from their end. Who possibly thought those answers would be a good idea?

They didn't imply that at all.
    zq0mow8c0lev.png

no one called them out on it, because they didn't. This one is a stretch even for you.

Rofl. You can’t spin this one Kyno. They literally said “you wouldn’t see any change if you hit it with -20%”. Anyone who doesn’t know how defense works and then reads this answer now has a false sense of how defense works. They gave everyone bad information with that answer. It’s terrible.
  • Serious development for this game seems to have ended in early 2019, after which they've coasted along with things that were either far down the pipeline already (Geo TBs) or hastily done junk (Galactic Legends).

I'd like them to prove me wrong, but I've traced the introduction of new characters and game modes since launch, and 2020 is so far tracking to be similar to the latter half of 2019.

For reference, here is the number of characters/ships introduced per year.
    2015: 71
    2016: 53
    2017: 45
    2018: 37
    2019: 22
    2020: 8 (so far)
    I could include re-works, but those seem to have stopped in June 2019 as well, a few minor touch-ups notwithstanding.

The last new raid was released on March 1st, 2018(!). The last new-ish game mode was Grand Arena in December 2018, which was rehashed as GAC in June 2019.

Geonosis TB Dark Side was launched with a fully reworked Separatist faction in June 2019 (and is actually pretty fun). Geonosis TB Light Side was sloppily launched in December 2019 with no reworks (and is still barely playable for 95% of the player base).

The last new recurring event was (correct me if I am wrong) Galactic Bounties II in August 2018.

It's painfully apparent that this is the new normal; it's been this way for nearly a year and the game is still raking in cash, so why would you expect anything to change? The people who continue to spend hand over fist on the new "progression" schemes like Relics have pretty much guaranteed it.

I've personally stopped worrying about it. There's no urgency to spend if you really think about it; all it gets you is harder GAC opponents, some extra crystals in squad arena, and an extra star or two in TB. You can easily finish Top 100 in Squad arena and Top 20 (or even Top 5) in Fleet arena without spending a dime; IMHO, spending thousands of dollars on Galactic Legends to "earn" an extra $20 USD in crystals a week is stupid.

To me, there was nothing surprising about this Q&A as it's been this way for 10 months already. I think it's also pretty easy to see why this happened if you look at the timeline, but that's admittedly speculation.