GAC 3v3 against GL rey? Instant loss....

Replies

• Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    5.35M and no GL toons yet.

I've faced GAS just once, but last GAC I forgot to register for the first round, so all the rest of the tournament I was behind the curve and not facing the best opponents.

On the other hand, I can conclusively state that all of my opponents since March have faced at least one GAS. So it's not like GAS doesn't exist in my GP range.

Not sure what my GP will be when I finally have GL Rey. I'm working exclusively on her requirements right now, so I won't be gaining GP that isn't related to bringing Resistance toons up to Relic levels. I figure at most that 10k per toon, and I have a couple toons done. So 5.45 ish when I get GL Rey, and then another 30k for gearing her up, which means 5.5Mgp before I start fielding a GL toon.

Probably others will field a GL at lower GP levels if they started the game later than me, because If I had been 6 months behind I could have skipped GAS and gone straight to GL Rey and that's a couple hundred Kgp right there. I think right now It's less about your exact GP (as long as you're over 4M) and more about time since requirements were announced.

A lot of what is being said here is basing GAC experience more off total GP in relation to what you are up against rather than your top 80 toon GP in relation to what you're up against.
    At least thats how it seems to me.
    If that is the case then i dont know what you're saying by result of that.
  • thedrjojo
    949 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Oh noes, you might face a team you cannot defeat and actually have to "strategy". The horror!!! :o

Looks like you already have some experience in countering Rey in a 3v3 without access to a GL yourself (which this topic is about). I'd like to hear your strategy on this one as this whole thing is gonna be worse than the Malak 3v3 thing as you could still kill the people on Malaks side and then zerg him down. With GL Rey that's gonna be incredibly difficult I guess thanks to her kit that's built around survivability.
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    3v3 is absolutely 'solved'. If CG roll out another 3v3, then they're just dummies. They can never roll out another 3v3 and have it anywhere close to fair with the characters that they've created.

Only feels unfair if you don't have them

Which is a gigantic chunk of the player base. Wouldn’t care too much if GL’s were only matched with GL’s but....

Would you be fine with the GL division,even the bottom person with 0/12 wins would get better rewards than a kyber in the non GL division? cause you are advocating the opportunity to get better rewards than people who will beat you in GAC...

How does a person that goes 0/12 in a "GL division" gets better rewards than someone from a non "GL division" who got to kyber?

Personally I'd be totally fine with a slight adjustment to the MM system to match people according to the number of GL's they own, 0 GL vs 0 GL, 1 GL vs 1 GL and 2 GL vs 2 GL. Even if it would be only for 3v3 GAC's.

Because if that person was paired in the non GL division they would go 12-0 by your logic...so because you don't want to face them and lose, they have to get harder matchups and thus should get better rewards than you
  • thedrjojo
    949 posts Member
    I’m Advocating better matchmaking. I’ve seen plenty of matchups in my own division where they had no place being matched with us. It wasn’t even a contest

What do you define as better matchmaking? Everyone in a division gets the same crack at rewards. If you are in a division with someone that is better than you,they should get the win and get the rewards. If you want different divisions, just accept that you will be getting lesser rewards than those that are in divisions above you since you couldn't complete with them... That's the only way it would be truly fair to match based on specific toons... In the end the current gac match making, it usually does a decent job of the cream rising to the top...
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Oh noes, you might face a team you cannot defeat and actually have to "strategy". The horror!!! :o

Looks like you already have some experience in countering Rey in a 3v3 without access to a GL yourself (which this topic is about). I'd like to hear your strategy on this one as this whole thing is gonna be worse than the Malak 3v3 thing as you could still kill the people on Malaks side and then zerg him down. With GL Rey that's gonna be incredibly difficult I guess thanks to her kit that's built around survivability.
    3v3 is absolutely 'solved'. If CG roll out another 3v3, then they're just dummies. They can never roll out another 3v3 and have it anywhere close to fair with the characters that they've created.

Which is a gigantic chunk of the player base. Wouldn’t care too much if GL’s were only matched with GL’s but....

Would you be fine with the GL division,even the bottom person with 0/12 wins would get better rewards than a kyber in the non GL division? cause you are advocating the opportunity to get better rewards than people who will beat you in GAC...

How does a person that goes 0/12 in a "GL division" gets better rewards than someone from a non "GL division" who got to kyber?

Personally I'd be totally fine with a slight adjustment to the MM system to match people according to the number of GL's they own, 0 GL vs 0 GL, 1 GL vs 1 GL and 2 GL vs 2 GL. Even if it would be only for 3v3 GAC's.

Because if that person was paired in the non GL division they would go 12-0 by your logic...so because you don't want to face them and lose, they have to get harder matchups and thus should get better rewards than you

Not sure if you misunderstood me or I have expressed myself wrong. I'm not advocating completely new divisions with increased rewards, I'm advocating a slight adjustment to the matchmaking system to take the number of GL's into consideration and only match people with the same number.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    And thus taking away an incentive for people to spend to obtain the meta. Will never happen.

Not to mention anyone could have a GL by now and if you don't it was your choice to do other things with your resources, so it's not really CG's problem even if the spending part weren't in the equation.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    And thus taking away an incentive for people to spend to obtain the meta. Will never happen.

Depends on what GAC is supposed to be. A competetive mode with a higher focus on skill (fair matchmaking) or a competetive mode with a higher focus on P2W (disbalance in matchmaking).
    Not to mention anyone could have a GL by now

No.
    and if you don't it was your choice to do other things with your resources

True.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Why can't you have a GL by now?

EDIT: You have one. Why can't someone else have one without paying for it?

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member

Don't know. Maybe because not everyone is a 5m++ veteran player with a daily 850+ crystal income, top 10 HSR placings, lots of shard shop currency from all the chars he alrdy has at 7 stars and not spending a single cent on this game? I like to think outside my own situation, you know.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited May 2020

Don't know. Maybe because not everyone is a 5m++ veteran player with a daily 850+ crystal income, top 10 HSR placings, lots of shard shop currency from all the chars he alrdy has at 7 stars and not spending a single cent on this game? I like to think outside my own situation, you know.

Ok "everyone excluding newer players."

The daily crystal income and top 10 HSR placings are still all a result of choices made.

And this is a 3v3 GAC thread. If your GP is too low to have a GL, the overwhelming majority of the time you will be matched with someone who also has no GL.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    My alt is 1m GP. I'll let you know when I see a GL in GAC.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited May 2020

Ok "everyone excluding newer players."

The daily crystal income and top 10 HSR placings are still all a result of choices made.

And this is a 3v3 GAC thread. If your GP is too low to have a GL, the overwhelming majority of the time you will be matched with someone who also has no GL.

I'll save my time and stop here.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Lol good chat.
  • If someone has a GL and and you don't it means you have to have other developed teams that they don't for the gp to balance.
    The person I just beat had GL Rey but under-developed SE and Padme. They only had one big gun so it was easy to overwhelm them defensively.
  • taquillasun
    1158 posts Member

Not sure if you misunderstood me or I have expressed myself wrong. I'm not advocating completely new divisions with increased rewards, I'm advocating a slight adjustment to the matchmaking system to take the number of GL's into consideration and only match people with the same number.

SO because I have 2 GL's and am 5.7 mil I should be matched with people who have 6.5-7+ mil rosters with both? Are you kidding me?

The whole reason people slim down a roster is to not bloat their GP to avoid matching up higher...Most of the people who have 2 GL's are in MAW and TI and whatever.. 6 mil + min roster... are you serious??!! Get out of here with that...

It is not my fault you chose to Gear up SIth EMpire. It is not my fault you chose to gear up GG or GAS. No these were your choices.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not my fault you bemoaned gearing up Rose tico. It is yours.

Don't try to shoo away teams with GL's because you don't have one. Get out of here with that. Play the game!!! Get good. Whale harder I don't care but don't -- don't try to think of solutions to problems that affect you because of your choices.

This talk is starting to get me hot. Whoa whoa...... man oh man. THey're in the game. If you don't have one.. your fault stop blaming anyone but yourself and get on the grind or don't.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Intelligent roster management is an important part of GAC. If you bloat the top end of your roster with relics / unnecessary zetas / second-rate toons you will draw tougher opponents. This is not new, nor is it limited to 3v3 or Galactic Legends.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member

SO because I have 2 GL's and am 5.7 mil I should be matched with people who have 6.5-7+ mil rosters with both? Are you kidding me?

The whole reason people slim down a roster is to not bloat their GP to avoid matching up higher...Most of the people who have 2 GL's are in MAW and TI and whatever.. 6 mil + min roster... are you serious??!! Get out of here with that...

It is not my fault you chose to Gear up SIth EMpire. It is not my fault you chose to gear up GG or GAS. No these were your choices.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try to shoo away teams with GL's because you don't have one. Get out of here with that. Play the game!!! Get good. Whale harder I don't care but don't -- don't try to think of solutions to problems that affect you because of your choices.

This talk is starting to get me hot. Whoa whoa...... man oh man. THey're in the game. If you don't have one.. your fault stop blaming anyone but yourself and get on the grind or don't.

It’s a game you play on your phone, relax, have a cookie or something 😒
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • taquillasun
    1158 posts Member
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

You have more replies on GL topics than I do on this subject when I looked at your history. I seem to be more calm than you on this. Just saying.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member

You have more replies on GL topics than I do on this subject when I looked at your history. I seem to be more calm than you on this. Just saying.

And did you actually look at the replies to those threads? Most of them are likely the same tone as my response to you.

More replies =/= raging.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Whatelse73
    2147 posts Member
    Wouldn't 3v3 be based on your top 66 characters since in div 1 you place 11 teams of 3 and have 11 teams for offense counting? Or is it still based on top 80? And as far as ship GP, do they count two full fleets of GP, or we still don't know?
  • taquillasun
    1158 posts Member

And did you actually look at the replies to those threads? Most of them are likely the same tone as my response to you.

More replies =/= raging.

If that is how you want to spin it. I'm not judging. You live your life how you want.
  • Not too sure yet but I'll let you know tomorrow. Hoping depth can beat the Titan and my defense throws him off a bit.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Wouldn't 3v3 be based on your top 66 characters since in div 1 you place 11 teams of 3 and have 11 teams for offense counting? Or is it still based on top 80? And as far as ship GP, do they count two full fleets of GP, or we still don't know?
    Both of those should be the case but I have not seen conclusive proof one way or the other. In order to prove or disprove it, you would have to check the roster of every player in a bracket immediately after matchmaking and then calculate the various possible matchmaking GPs for each player to see which calculation had the smallest spread between lowest and highest GP.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited May 2020

Depends on what GAC is supposed to be. A competetive mode with a higher focus on skill (fair matchmaking) or a competetive mode with a higher focus on P2W (disbalance in matchmaking).

This. CG has stated that GAC is supposed to be the former (almost all other aspects of the game are the latter - both arenas, raids, challenges, etc.) - but the matchmaking seems to indicate otherwise. I guess it's up to the player base to decide whether CG is incapable of creating a matchmaking algorithm that achieves their stated goal - or that their stated goal is not really their intention. :shrug:

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

This. CG has stated that GAC is supposed to be the former (almost all other aspects of the game are the latter - both arenas, raids, challenges, etc.) - but the matchmaking seems to indicate otherwise. I guess it's up to the player base to decide whether CG is incapable of creating a matchmaking algorithm that achieves their stated goal - or that their stated goal is not really their intention. :shrug:
    Matchmaking is by top {x} GP. The player controls what that GP is composed of.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member

The player controls what all their GP is composed of.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

GP is a very poor indicator of effectiveness. A zeta on QGJ's leadership is the same amount of GP as GSky's. That's part of the point.

CG has stated that "close matches" were the point of GAC - not every other game mode, just GAC. The incentive to spend on the current meta exists and is present in every other game mode - both arenas, raids, new challenge tiers, etc. But GAC matches where one person has a GLRey (which is about 5k more GP than the highest non-GL, even if you insist on using that flawed metric) and other players do not, will not be close. Can you beat them without a GL? Sure - but often at the cost of 3-4 other much needed teams.

Like I said, we either have to believe CG was disingenuous about wanting GAC matches to be close, or that they simply aren't capable of creating an algorithm that consistently does so. Which of those is true is irrelevant, because players have no control over either. It's not our game - it's CG's.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

GP is a very poor indicator of effectiveness. A zeta on QGJ's leadership is the same amount of GP as GSky's. That's part of the point.
    GP is not a measure of combat effectiveness at all, it is a measure of resource investment.

So players are matched with opponents who have a comparable amount of resources invested in their top {x} toons/ships.

How the players chose to invest those resources and balance the top end of their roster is up to the individual.

You don't have to go hardcore min-max to do well, in fact that can work against you, but if you fail to establish some kind of roster balance that you can work with then your GAC matches will be very difficult.