Ship Names not fluid?

Prev1
Why are ships all over the place with some having names and others called "character's" ship? Its Red 2, not Wedge's X-wing, Red 3, Rogue 1, Black 1, etc... I get the generic pilots with generic ships, but I don't understand why this has to be so sloppy, or am I just ranting? What do you think?

Replies

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I have never in my life thought about it. Now that I have I don't care at all. no offense, just my opinion
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • littleMAC77
    2397 posts Member
    Red Two is not the name of the ship, but rather a callsign for that specific member of Red Squadron during a specific fight. Thus calling it Wedge's ship is more accurate as it was the X-wing flown by Wedge.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    This way, people won't accidentally gear the wrong pilot. If someone is using Wedge's X-Wing, they will gear Wedge. If someone is using Red 2, they might make a mistake and gear for example Biggs instead unless they go to the pilot through the ship. Or at the very least, it's one less thing to remember.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    This way, people won't accidentally gear the wrong pilot. If someone is using Wedge's X-Wing, they will gear Wedge. If someone is using Red 2, they might make a mistake and gear for example Biggs instead unless they go to the pilot through the ship. Or at the very least, it's one less thing to remember.

No, I don't think they will unless they must be really unobservant. If you go to the ships screen and click on the ship, it shows you the character needed for that ship. So I don't get how you could possibly gear up the wrong character for a ship.
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • khelzac
    335 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

No, I don't think they will unless they must be really unobservant. If you go to the ships screen and click on the ship, it shows you the character needed for that ship. So I don't get how you could possibly gear up the wrong character for a ship.

Oh if only that were true! People will gear up the wrong pilot and then rant on the forums. Been on the forums long enough to see that a lack of observation is definitely not the player's fault 🤣
  • khelzac wrote: »

Oh if only that were true! People will gear up the wrong pilot and then rant on the forums. Been on the forums long enough to see that a lack of observation is definitely not the player's fault 🤣

I would say it is. The icons are pretty big, so if you can't see that, you don't have the best eyes in the business.

I would say it is. The icons are pretty big, so if you can't see that, you don't have the best eyes in the business.

You need to retune your sarcasm detector.

You need to retune your sarcasm detector.

Ah, didn't realise.
  • TAZZZOOO
    245 posts Member
    It kinda bothers me that Anakin's ship is specifically called "Anakin's Eta-2 Starfighter" while Ahsoka's ship of the same model is simply "Ahsoka Tano's Jedi Starfighter". Both are technically true, just inconsistent on CGs part.

As for the call signs; Red 2 (for example) is just that. The ship is not called Red 2 but in combat Wedge should respond to commands given to Red 2.
    I think it would be acceptable to call Wedge's X-wing "Red 2" or "Red Leader" depending on how the rest of the ships are named.
  • Fighters take the name of the pilot's call sign, they are painted to reflect this as well, thus giving them a unique identity.
  • kiar1404
    241 posts Member
    If Wedge crushes his X-Wing and takes a new on, this one is "Red 2", too.
    If Boba crushes his Slave 1 - there will be no more Slave 1 - his next ship (even same build) will have a new name ... maybe Slave 2
    This is why some ships have name and some don't.

It is comparable with Air Force One ... like in the movie, the president was saved and entered a different airplane - this one becomes Air Force One.

Names belong to a ship/plane - Callsigns depend on the pilot/passenger.
  • I get where everyone is coming from with call signs and such, except the ship/fighter does take on this identity physically. If said ships were found abandoned/crashed, based on the ships coloring and markers, you would identify it as Red 3, not ****'s X-Wing.
    As for Slave 1, that would be speculation that the name would go up a number or stay the same. Since Boba Fett did not out live his ship, we won't know for sure. (Then again, apparently you're allowed to steal names in the star wars universe so this may change)

Using cannon, Poe used 2 X-wings, the 2nd one was called Black One not because thats his call sign, but because that is the name of the fighter.

Using real world comparisons (since we're doing that), pilots are assigned a fighter in a squadron. That fighter has a unique name regardless of which pilot gets assigned (they get their name put on it during assignment, but the fighter retains its identity over the years as its flown by many different pilots). For the Rebels, the pilots used the fighter's name as their call sign so communication and visual identification was made quickly in battle.

• Prattano wrote: »
    Since Boba Fett did not out live his ship, we won't know for sure.

How do you know? Since Boba is coming to Mandalorian Season 2, he somehow survived the Sarlacc and we don't know (yet) what happened to Slave 1.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    #notmyboba
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Prattano wrote: »

How do you know? Since Boba is coming to Mandalorian Season 2, he somehow survived the Sarlacc and we don't know (yet) what happened to Slave 1.

I read somewhere that the boba coming in season 2 is not boba Fett, but some sheriff wearing bobas armor? Timothy Olyphant playing the role.

And then Temuera Morrison will show up to kill Timothy Olyphant and take it back.
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Adwin Charu and Cobb Vanth put on the armor after Bobas “death” so he could play one of those characters.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Well Boba did survive the Sarlacc. Twice in fact.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    #notmyboba

• ZAP wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I have never in my life thought about it. Now that I have I don't care at all. no offense, just my opinion

You won’t see me saying this often, but this is the best post in this thread and it’s not even close.
    I second this.

There's possibility it's not Boba in S2 (although the tease with the feet in S1 would suggest it) - it could, for example, be Rex.

There's possibility it's not Boba in S2 (although the tease with the feet in S1 would suggest it) - it could, for example, be Rex.

All too true, Everything about it is speculation until its not. Which makes it interesting.
    As for Boba Fett suriving, as of Disney hostile take over, he's being digested for a 1000 years. Until S2 says otherwise.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Hostile?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Didn’t know giving someone 4 billion dollars was a hostile takeover.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Yeah you hold them up at gunpoint and force them to take your money.