Star Wars (Lucas, too!) Confirms Palpatine Was A Clone In ROTJ

I’m just shocked! Pun intended. Sort of. Does this mean we will have multiple GL EPs?! Can’t wait! :D

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-palpatine-return-jedi-clone/

“In the recently released book The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, none other than director J.J. Abrams confirms Palpatine was a clone in Return of the Jedi. He stated he learned this while talking with George Lucas prior to writing the Rise of Skywalker script. Check out his quote in the space below:

"In my conversations with George Lucas, he mentioned how the Emperor was a clone in Return of the Jedi. And I thought it would be a beautiful way to connect all three trilogies and bring it full circle. In each trilogy, they go up against a new Palpatine clone."“
SnakesOnAPlane

Replies

• It's turtles all the way down, now.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    I love turtles!!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Edit: Update: This is not officially canon.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    This is just more nonsense and from Screenrant no less, hahahahahaha
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Two weeks later for that. Just let it lie.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Seriously, they messed up so much with the disjointed stories in the sequels, that they are trying to throw plywood over the holes to cover their mistakes.
    George Lucas has never before made any mention that Palpatine was a clone, and now because of the nonsensical return of Palpatine they have to try to explain what was going on...

To me the sequels will always be just one step above the infamous Christmas Special. Better if they just lay it to rest and focus on the Mandalorian, Clone Wars and upcoming Ahsoka and have them return star wars to its former glory.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Why is this relevant
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

Why is this relevant

Its "relevant" because the sequel trilogy is such a nonsensical mess, that the likes of Screenrant are trying to bring Lucas into the debate of why its so bad, by attempting to legitimize something Lucas never said to make gullible fans agree with the sequel trilogy nonsense.

Screenrant has failed.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Why is this relevant

Its "relevant" because the sequel trilogy is such a nonsensical mess, that the likes of Screenrant are trying to bring Lucas into the debate of why its so bad, by attempting to legitimize something Lucas never said to make gullible fans agree with the sequel trilogy nonsense.

Screenrant has failed.

Still has nothing to do with that. The article is simply incorrect, and really has very little connection to the sequels.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

Why is this relevant

Screenrant has failed.

Still has nothing to do with that. The article is simply incorrect, and really has very little connection to the sequels.

How do you figure that?

One of the biggest criticisms of bringing the EMperor back in TROS is how? There was no explanation (at least not in he movie) then all this cloning nonsense came out after.

Now this article is trying to say the EMperor was already a clone and that Lucas agreed to that - its all nonsense, again nothing but attempts to legitimize the poor storytelling of the ST.

It has everything to do with the ST as this interview is apparently with JJ and his apparent comments about resurrecting Palpatine as the villain.

If you cant see that connection or even read the bogus article to know what its about, don't criticize what I am saying.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    No. The article is about a piece of information JJ thought he knew. It’s not an interview, it’s a book, and it was debunked. You connected this to “how they are tying to resurrect the ST,” which is not at all what the articles goal is. The article at the end points out that they are tired of important info coming through other media, and that’s why they brought this up.
  • I don't like how the viewer needs to get outside sources to fill the gaps. It becomes sloppy story telling, and honestly a thinly veiled cash grab to rival any mobile game. I can't help think that all the changes are a result of a director or writer going to Lucas and asking things like, Is palpatine a clone? And Lucas goes, Yeah. That sounds right. All while thinking, leave me alone so I can count my cash.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    No. The article is about a piece of information JJ thought he knew. It’s not an interview, it’s a book, and it was debunked. You connected this to “how they are tying to resurrect the ST,” which is not at all what the articles goal is. The article at the end points out that they are tired of important info coming through other media, and that’s why they brought this up.

Right, but the fact JJ made that statement is an attempt to legitimize what he did tot he fans in resurrecting Palpatine - bogus or not, otherwise don't say it - especially if it isn't true, which it isn't.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Right, but the fact JJ made that statement is an attempt to legitimize what he did tot he fans in resurrecting Palpatine - bogus or not, otherwise don't say it - especially if it isn't true, which it isn't.

He may of actually thought it was true. Lucas says a lot of stuff.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member

You honestly believe that? It would certainly be "convenient" wouldn't it?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

You honestly believe that? It would certainly be "convenient" wouldn't it?

Yes it would. And you might be right. But we really don’t have any evidence that proves why he said it except for JJ’s answer. So if he was trying to rectify the sequels, I guess he has to live with that lie. Otherwise, it’s likely just a “I thought he said, I thought she said” mistake.