What are they going to do with all these accounts that are stuck in Purgatory?

LosDuble
5 posts Member
edited June 2020
I started playing this game in November 2015. I am a F2P and am at roughly 4.8M GP. I happened to be living and working in China at this time, but was always on the US app store. Now, here I sit almost 5 years later while everyone is not happy with the game, trying to figure out if i am being forced to quit. I downloaded the game in China, but on the US app store and i have been back in the US for over 4 years now. i dont understand how this is an issue for those that are outside of China. You would think they would be able to see my Player ID and Ally Code and AppleID and GameCenterID are all US based. Maybe I am missing something?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Damodamo
    1574 posts Member
    I think what they can see was that your account was downloaded from the US App Store and any purchases paid for in dollars, from a Chinese IP address, using a Chinese service provider.

I’m uk based and I can switch my store to any other country in the world, doesn’t mean I’m not covered by the rules put in place for the uk.
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    I think what they can see was that your account was downloaded from the US App Store and any purchases paid for in dollars, from a Chinese IP address, using a Chinese service provider.

I’m uk based and I can switch my store to any other country in the world, doesn’t mean I’m not covered by the rules put in place for the uk.

This. It is extremely unfortunate, but I don't really think CG has the power to do anything about it. There certainly is a villain in this situation, but it's not CG.
  • Ive never spent any money on this game though. So I dont know how i am caught up in this mess
  • Any why couldn't CG take my account and all my progress and allow me to switch it to the country i am a resident of now. Back when i could buy crystals the money would've gone to the US. I am a US Citizen residing in the US. China laws are not applicable to me, so i dont know why my game is subject to them?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    LosDuble wrote: »
    I started playing this game in November 2015. I am a F2P and am at roughly 4.8M GP. I happened to be living and working in China at this time, but was always on the US app store. Now, here I sit almost 5 years later while everyone is not happy with the game, trying to figure out if i am being forced to quit. I downloaded the game in China, but on the US app store and i have been back in the US for over 4 years now. i dont understand how this is an issue for those that are outside of China. You would think they would be able to see my Player ID and Ally Code and AppleID and GameCenterID are all US based. Maybe I am missing something?

why would you be forced to quit? (I can't remember if china was going to shut down the game or just purchases, tbh. if it's purchases that wouldn't affect ftp right?). And have you tried contacting CG, assuming there is an actual issue?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »

why would you be forced to quit? (I can't remember if china was going to shut down the game or just purchases, tbh. if it's purchases that wouldn't affect ftp right?). And have you tried contacting CG, assuming there is an actual issue?

I'm pretty sure China is shutting down all multiplayer games.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    WarGuy101 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »

if that's correct I would think contacting cg and showing you aren't in china would be the way to go? full disclosure: idk how these things work lol
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Damodamo wrote: »

This. It is extremely unfortunate, but I don't really think CG has the power to do anything about it. There certainly is a villain in this situation, but it's not CG.

I mean technically it is CG/EA's fault since you know they didn't buy the license to operate their games in china. Just saying you know

good point, not the murderous, oppresive dictators in china's fault, cg's fault for not paying them. Forums: now with hot political takes too!
  • Antario
    996 posts Member

Information provided here are very confusing. What we know for sure (based on the ingame notification is that starting next month (8th of July) you will not be able to continue playing if you are using a version of the client, which was downloaded from a Chinese AppStore. However, you can re-download the game from any overseas AppStore and continue playing. You game progress with not be affected.

Now the confusing part: They have deactivated the In game purchase for all “Chinese Accounts” since May 28th. How they determine an account being Chinese is not explained. If you go with the OP, it seems it is not determined by Apple ID or Gamecenter ID you used to create your account. The only way I can imagine this is that the geographical location from where you originally created the account is permanently stored with the account. But then I have a Chinese guild mate (living out side China now), who has created his account years back in China using a Chinese Apple ID. He can still see the in game purchase options at the moment (even in Chinese currency!). Whether this will remain after July 8th update is not clear.

If you are F2P and also plan to stay that way, it seems there won’t be any implications (at least for now).

Btw. I have contacted EA support several times already. And they clearly refused to switch account country. They offered me to transfer my account from iOS to android, but could not tell me if this would solve the problem. And when I requested refund or some sort of compensation, there’s been radio silence since then :)

The whole thing is a mess.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    I think I solved the puzzle. I asked my guild mate again. He indeed downloaded and created his game account using his Chinese phone and Chinese Apple ID, BUT he didn’t do this in China! He works for a Chinese oil company and he created his account when he was in Algeria back then.

This is exactly the opposite situation to what the OP described.

The AppStore , your Apple ID and Game Center ID, all that does not matter. The only criterion that determines if your account is “Chinese” is the location where you account was created! In case of my guild mate, he is Chinese national but his account was created outside China, Therefore he is not affected by the censorship. In terms of OP, the only fact that he created his account in China made him “Chinese”!

There you have it! It’s hilarious, but obviously the current ingame censorship does not work as intended. The question would be if CG can and want to correct it.
  • KM1
    145 posts Member
    Antario wrote: »

Information provided here are very confusing. What we know for sure (based on the ingame notification is that starting next month (8th of July) you will not be able to continue playing if you are using a version of the client, which was downloaded from a Chinese AppStore. However, you can re-download the game from any overseas AppStore and continue playing. You game progress with not be affected.

Now the confusing part: They have deactivated the In game purchase for all “Chinese Accounts” since May 28th. How they determine an account being Chinese is not explained. If you go with the OP, it seems it is not determined by Apple ID or Gamecenter ID you used to create your account. The only way I can imagine this is that the geographical location from where you originally created the account is permanently stored with the account. But then I have a Chinese guild mate (living out side China now), who has created his account years back in China using a Chinese Apple ID. He can still see the in game purchase options at the moment (even in Chinese currency!). Whether this will remain after July 8th update is not clear.

If you are F2P and also plan to stay that way, it seems there won’t be any implications (at least for now).

Btw. I have contacted EA support several times already. And they clearly refused to switch account country. They offered me to transfer my account from iOS to android, but could not tell me if this would solve the problem. And when I requested refund or some sort of compensation, there’s been radio silence since then :)

Thank you for the clarification. Typical CG incompetence
  • This was what i found out as well, thank you for clarifying. Crickets from the EA help desk on the issue. I messaged another member who posted a similar and he is a whale (6.5M) with SLKR maxed. He is in China and is stuck in same boat as me. He is going to try the google method. Interesting that the China guild mate who downloaded his game in Algeria is safe. That is pretty funny actually. I am hoping that on July 8, i can uninstall and download and be ok. I will miss chance at our boy JKL, but lets be honest. I wasn't getting him aways. Just silly that the geographic location of the download of game is all that matters.
  • IronCross
    934 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Count them as active to keep up their numbers. But inreality they are shedding players more than gaining.
  • Antario wrote: »

This is the answer

The only way I can imagine this is that the geographical location from where you originally created the account is permanently stored with the account.

The daily energy reset is stored with the account and based on the time zone and location used to create the account. If you opened the account in china while visiting it's a chinese account since that was where it originated. Your friend has an algerian account since he opened it while overseas.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Easy answer, start all over and buy all the packs. You will be back to where you are in no time!
  • This is the (CG) way
  • Monel wrote: »
    Easy answer, start all over and buy all the packs. You will be back to where you are in no time!

When u run out of new content you have to get creative with ways of making people progress... one of those ways is hey btw... start over - boom look new content for you, congrats your level 22 you can join a guild. Remember how fun this was?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I mean technically it is CG/EA's fault since you know they didn't buy the license to operate their games in china. Just saying you know

That is a very over simplification of the process to put a game out in China, but sure.
  • Gifafi wrote: »

if that's correct I would think contacting cg and showing you aren't in china would be the way to go? full disclosure: idk how these things work lol

It might work but there's a possibilty that CG has no power in this. Based on the set standards, your location at the time of account creation determines where it's from. It's created in China so seems like it has to abide Chinese law. And if the Chinese law affects accounts in a certain way, CG can't do anything about it. That's what I assume. It's a stupid system, but it is what it is.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    edited June 2020

It might work but there's a possibilty that CG has no power in this. Based on the set standards, your location at the time of account creation determines where it's from. It's created in China so seems like it has to abide Chinese law. And if the Chinese law affects accounts in a certain way, CG can't do anything about it. That's what I assume. It's a stupid system, but it is what it is.

The mechanism behind is certainly far from transparent. But I struggle to picture how that could have financial (revenue splitting) and tax implications dependent on from which account you are making in-game purchases. Because that's the only reason I can imagine why Chinese account shall be treated differently. To my understanding, when you perform an in-game purchase, the transaction is done through the Apple ID (and the payment method linked to the ID) you are using. So theoretically, your purchase is not subject to Chinese law if you are using a non-chinese ID. But maybe that's exactly the loophole Apple or the Chinese government trying to close. And maybe that's the reason why CG is not allowed to change the account location even if technically they are able to do so.

The only way to make sure that a Chinese individual does not spend money on a game, which is not licensed in China (and thus not contributing to the country's GDP) is to censor the game account, even if it means to cause collateral damage for people like the OP.

I also have the feeling Apple and EA are playing ping-pong here. Just got an email from EA support that any refund request shall be filed towards Apple, while Apple already stopped refunding and claim this is an EA issue... good god.

• Damodamo wrote: »

No. CG could fix it. They just won't. Too expensive
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    If what you say is true then that means they banned all accounts that originated in china rather than banning spending from all accounts that are actually in china.

It's possible to confirm device location information before allowing game access or purchases but that's much more complicated and expensive that just querying their database for any account that started in China and shutting those accounts down.

There was another post where a guy said he still had access and loved in China but he opened his account while traveling outside the country.

Looks like they took the simple route but that also means people in China who opened their account while outside China can still spend money and play the game which might be a liability for EA and CG if it was brought to the attention of authorities... hopefully they dont get shut down completely I kind of like the game even if it's on autopilot and there is no new content. F2p of course.
  • It’s the chat function they agree after not the spending. It’s all very political. I get it. But man does it not make sense
  • joelgs23
    251 posts Member

Gaming is a massive and growing industry in China. They have no desire to shut down multi player games here, in fact that are quickly working towards becoming the Worlds largest game developers. I was walking through one of Shanghai’s busiest metros the other day, it was plastered wall to wall with MMO game ads. I know there is a lot of negative beliefs out there regarding China, but people need to start double checking their sources.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

why would cg care what china law is if cg/swgoh is banned there? assuming that's the case, who knows?
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Kyno wrote: »

That is a very over simplification of the process to put a game out in China, but sure.

Is @Antario right above? Why can’t CG help these players if they truly do not live in China, and do not have to abide by Chinese law?

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Kyno wrote: »

Is @Antario right above? Why can’t CG help these players if they truly do not live in China, and do not have to abide by Chinese law?

Why is CG loyal to the CCP is a good question