Saddest moment in the saga (Movies and TV series)?

1235Next

Replies

• Zombefyer
    586 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    O
    Boo wrote: »
    jawa7778 wrote: »
    I think that for Rose it’s clear that she was treated poorly, and then it’s easy to say that because people didn’t like her, she lost screen time, which honestly is pretty rude to the actor. Also, no, there are no “SJW’s” (often overused and misused term) shouting at Disney. It just makes sense that having a more diverse cast will bring a wider audience.
    You keep saying it's rude to the actor, but I don't really understand why. That's just how it works, if someone in a series isn't liked, they aren't going to be repeated. Things that don't work shouldn't be repeated. Although you are technically correct that a more diverse cast may bring a wider audience, diversity at the cost of good storytelling is bad. The new movies checked all the "minority" boxes but suffered in storytelling because Finn, Rose and Rey were all pretty much-wasted characters. If you look at the new High Republic series, they are prioritizing diversity above other things, which leads nowhere. I'm not saying Star Wars should be all white characters, but sacrificing everything for the sake of diversity brings poor results.

um, implying that the race/gender/any sort of diversity in a made up universe would require any sort of "sacrifice" is extremely problematic. They could swap the race of literally any character in any of the movies with no plot side effects, and almost the same with gender. Do not confuse a story line you didn't like with a "sacrifice for diversity".

Regardless of diversity, the ST was poorly written, but diversity was certainly pushed - due to the screamings of SJW activism in film.

How exactly was diversity "pushed"? Like seriously, it is 2020. Having a couple (not even a majority) of major roles in a movie being women and/or non-white people should not be considered "pushing diversity". The world is vast and mostly not-white or male.

Based on your responses, I am a little afraid to ask what you even mean by activism...

KK definitely pushed diversity. I’m not saying SW shouldn’t be more widely representative, it should, but the ST was definitely “pushed” with that agenda in mind. There are also many reasons for it, but it was very personal for KK, which she’s openly spoken about.

I agree with both of you. It should not have to be pushed, but it was, and that’s a good thing.

Also, diversity doesn’t (or rather shouldn’t) have any effect on the characters themselves.

I think anytime an agenda like this is pushed it usually doesn’t work out well.

I’m just glad KK won’t have anymore creative power over SW in the future and that future is looking bright. The last 4 episodes of TCW and The Mandalorian are clear evidence of that.

The power base will shift to George Lucas' rightful heir; Dave Filoni, and Jon Favreau.
  • Zombefyer
    586 posts Member
    Zombefyer wrote: »
    O
    I think that for Rose it’s clear that she was treated poorly, and then it’s easy to say that because people didn’t like her, she lost screen time, which honestly is pretty rude to the actor. Also, no, there are no “SJW’s” (often overused and misused term) shouting at Disney. It just makes sense that having a more diverse cast will bring a wider audience.
    You keep saying it's rude to the actor, but I don't really understand why. That's just how it works, if someone in a series isn't liked, they aren't going to be repeated. Things that don't work shouldn't be repeated. Although you are technically correct that a more diverse cast may bring a wider audience, diversity at the cost of good storytelling is bad. The new movies checked all the "minority" boxes but suffered in storytelling because Finn, Rose and Rey were all pretty much-wasted characters. If you look at the new High Republic series, they are prioritizing diversity above other things, which leads nowhere. I'm not saying Star Wars should be all white characters, but sacrificing everything for the sake of diversity brings poor results.

um, implying that the race/gender/any sort of diversity in a made up universe would require any sort of "sacrifice" is extremely problematic. They could swap the race of literally any character in any of the movies with no plot side effects, and almost the same with gender. Do not confuse a story line you didn't like with a "sacrifice for diversity".

Regardless of diversity, the ST was poorly written, but diversity was certainly pushed - due to the screamings of SJW activism in film.

How exactly was diversity "pushed"? Like seriously, it is 2020. Having a couple (not even a majority) of major roles in a movie being women and/or non-white people should not be considered "pushing diversity". The world is vast and mostly not-white or male.

Based on your responses, I am a little afraid to ask what you even mean by activism...

KK definitely pushed diversity. I’m not saying SW shouldn’t be more widely representative, it should, but the ST was definitely “pushed” with that agenda in mind. There are also many reasons for it, but it was very personal for KK, which she’s openly spoken about.

I agree with both of you. It should not have to be pushed, but it was, and that’s a good thing.

Also, diversity doesn’t (or rather shouldn’t) have any effect on the characters themselves.

I’m just glad KK won’t have anymore creative power over SW in the future and that future is looking bright. The last 4 episodes of TCW and The Mandalorian are clear evidence of that.

The power base will shift to George Lucas' rightful heir; Dave Filoni, and Jon Favreau.

Yep, along with other creative minds along the way.

Like Taika Waititi
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    O

Why doesn’t it work out well?
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I’m just glad KK won’t have anymore creative power over SW in the future

Wishful thinking?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    O

Exactly - while I too stated diversity was pushed for the ST cast, I never said I had an issue with it, not once.

The issues with the ST is poor storytelling and complete disregard that it is part of a franchise with established lore and characters.
  • The final episode of 'The Clone Wars', when Ahsoka and Rex bury Jesse and the 332nd legion on a moon in the Bogden system.
  • dsdsds
    72 posts Member
    Episodes 7, 8 and 9
  • Zombefyer
    586 posts Member
    edited January 2022
  • Holy necro bat lady… @Kyno
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    Holy necro bat lady… @Kyno

This should be an exception. Sad scenes are added to 'Star Wars' all the time.
  • I'm very surprised no one mentioned R2D2 getting shot by Vader in A New Hope. I was a toddler, and R2 was my first hero. Him getting shot made me cry then, and still brings tears to my eyes to this day. Seeing him made whole at the award ceremony at the end of the movie is one of my favorite scenes in all of Star Wars.
This discussion has been closed.