Why go for Rey

Prev13456723
Nitrogen
119 posts Member
When the GL's first came out, SLKR was clearly better in PVE areas (soloing the Sith Raid for example) and Rey was clearly better in PVP areas. Seemed like a fair trade off. They both were much better than any other character and each was the best in a certain area of the game.

Then they buffed SLKR and now he is way better in both areas. Rey is not that good in PVE areas, yes she can 4/4 in the light-side GeoTB's, but not always depending on RNG, she is not needed for any of the special missions in the GeoTB. Is is also not great in the Sith raid (and sadly there is no other PVE environment to use her)

Add in the fact that she is now much weaker than SLKR in PVP, yes I know it is possible to beat Kylo with her, but it is not easy, it just seems dumb to go for Rey unless you are really trying to get both. Why should someone go for her when SLKR is much better in every area of the game.

Bottom line - if you are only going for one GL Kylo seems like the much better choice.

Replies

• Do you have both GLs? Or even either of them? Rey is not “much weaker” than kylo in PvP. She tends to hold up on defense better in arena, GAC, and TW
  • It's still easier to beat SLKR with Rey than a Rey mirror. Spoken like someone who doesn't have Rey.
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    Brotherius wrote: »
    Do you have both GLs? Or even either of them? Rey is not “much weaker” than kylo in PvP. She tends to hold up on defense better in arena, GAC, and TW

I do not have both, I only have Rey, but I find this not to be true. I fall down to the mid 20's or lower, every day and the SLKR teams never fall out of the top 20.

• Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    It's still easier to beat SLKR with Rey than a Rey mirror. Spoken like someone who doesn't have Rey.

This is not the case for me, Rey mirrors, while a pain the the kitten (similar to the old JKR mirrors) are still easier for me than going against Kylo teams.
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • Brotherius
    201 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Nitrogen wrote: »
    Do you have both GLs? Or even either of them? Rey is not “much weaker” than kylo in PvP. She tends to hold up on defense better in arena, GAC, and TW

I do not have both, I only have Rey, but I find this not to be true. I fall down to the mid 20's or lower, every day and the SLKR teams never fall out of the top 20.
    I find the opposite to happen and so do most content creators (ahnald/cubsfan). The kylos in my shard always drop below 20, my Rey doesn’t. And I hear about it in my shard discord chat. Just because the upgraded Vader can now, rightfully, be competitive doesn’t make Rey useless. It’s still very hard for Vader to win and it has to be specific comps. Want to stop Vader or DR counters? There’s plenty of theory crafting out there to make Rey teams impenetrable to them.
  • For example, tenacity or immunity to debuffs make Vader useless
  • Brotherius wrote: »

She is "on par" with Kylo now for PvP. She does not hold "better".

So there is a definite imbalance with GL at the moment as Kylo is better at one game mode and equal at the other.
  • I stopped working on rey once they both came out and kylo got buffed. It was clear then that the whales went more for kylo and cg was going to make him better.
  • It's still easier to beat SLKR with Rey than a Rey mirror. Spoken like someone who doesn't have Rey.

Normally I can win Rey mirrors with 4-5 people standing. Unless I use the 5s cheese that will probably get fixed, beating Kylo usually comes down to 1-2 people standing.
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member

I find the opposite to happen and so do most content creators (ahnald/cubsfan). The kylos in my shard always drop below 20, my Rey doesn’t. And I hear about it in my shard discord chat. Just because the upgraded Vader can now, rightfully, be competitive doesn’t make Rey useless. It’s still very hard for Vader to win and it has to be specific comps. Want to stop Vader or DR counters? There’s plenty of theory crafting out there to make Rey teams impenetrable to them.

Oh I would never say she is useless, she is clearly still the second best character in the game. That said, I think there is a pretty clear and big drop off between Kylo and her. It just seemed like a much fairer trade off when it there was a clear: Rey is better in PVP and Kylo is better in PVE. Now it's: Kylo is way better in PVE and at best they are about the same in PVP.

• Nitrogen
    119 posts Member

So there is a definite imbalance with GL at the moment as Kylo is better at one game mode and equal at the other.

Exactly!
  • Brotherius
    201 posts Member
    edited June 2020

Ok, let’s say that true, even though it’s easier in TW to bring down kylos team and then finish him off on 2nd or 3rd attempt. Kylos kit is better for PvE no doubt, but the PvE that Rey IS useful for is very important (LS Geo). We can go forever arguing the details but the whole point to the OP is that both GLs are very useful.
  • yankeeh8er wrote: »
    I stopped working on rey once they both came out and kylo got buffed. It was clear then that the whales went more for kylo and cg was going to make him better.

From a business standpoint, it's likely they buffed KYLO because more whales initially went for REY, as they want to incentivise further spending to get the better GL. If more whales went for Kylo and then they buffed him to leave Rey in the dust, there would be no incentive to then get Rey other than for collecting purpose.
  • yankeeh8er wrote: »
    I stopped working on rey once they both came out and kylo got buffed. It was clear then that the whales went more for kylo and cg was going to make him better.

From a business standpoint, it's likely they buffed KYLO because more whales initially went for REY, as they want to incentivise further spending to get the better GL. If more whales went for Kylo and then they buffed him to leave Rey in the dust, there would be no incentive to then get Rey other than for collecting purpose.

That’s exactly right, I believe most whales went for Rey off the bat.
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    yankeeh8er wrote: »

This is a pretty good theory
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Didn't they buff GL Kylo to stop an under sized GAS squad from beating it?
  • AlexanderG wrote: »
    Didn't they buff GL Kylo to stop an under sized GAS squad from beating it?

Lol yes, but it also made Rey owners want to go for both GLs
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

All shards are different. I see ult Kylos in the 40s.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Because I like Rey more than Kylo Ren.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF wrote: »

All shards are different. I see ult Kylos in the 40s.

I fell to 39 overnight from 1, and I try to put in an anti-padme SLKR team (no sith trooper). Rey’s in the payout before me don’t drop below 25. Someone forgot to tell my shard that SLKR holds better on D.

What I’m noticing is that mirror matches with either GL are harder than facing the other GL. Since my shard has more Rey than SLKR, SLKR tends to drop more.
  • Borat wrote: »
    the only thing that Kylo is 100% better than Rey is the Sith Raid. I have both, use Rey exclusively in my arena full of both and never drop below 15, always hit 1. The kylos in my shard have to fight their way back to 1 from 20-30. I am tired of the argument about he is so much better. Mod Rey right and you won't have that issue. Also, the team makes a difference. Put her with all resistance and she is weaker than with JKR, GAS, WAT and GK (now Luke makes her better too).

What is your Rey team then? Share the magic
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    Borat wrote: »
    the only thing that Kylo is 100% better than Rey is the Sith Raid. I have both, use Rey exclusively in my arena full of both and never drop below 15, always hit 1. The kylos in my shard have to fight their way back to 1 from 20-30. I am tired of the argument about he is so much better. Mod Rey right and you won't have that issue. Also, the team makes a difference. Put her with all resistance and she is weaker than with JKR, GAS, WAT and GK (now Luke makes her better too).

Maybe I have her modded wrong, but I have a very difficult time with Kylo teams. It also might be because my WAT is only 6*
  • Nitrogen wrote: »
    Borat wrote: »

Maybe I have her modded wrong, but I have a very difficult time with Kylo teams. It also might be because my WAT is only 6*

I use Rey + Hero’s + GK + Bariss for kylo. Tends to be pretty straight forward. Rey is modded for health (222k base) and offense while maintaining over 500 speed
  • The value of going for Rey has sunk. I hate the characters I have to relic to get her. But, going for Kylo is my now go to choice. He is better at PvE. I might get him this year...
  • chmoAr0ufif0u
    83 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Ah again the argument with using GK. Try use a full resistance team like kylo does.