Why go for Rey

Replies

• I'm not saying they couldn't make changes or anything like that, just trying to point out that she is not bad by any sense and just as worthy of the investment as she was before.

@Kyno

Let's be serious. If your credit union or bank offers you a savings account with 4% interest and a CD with 5% interest, but which can only be cashed out when its fixed term is up, there are tradeoffs and you might reasonably pick either one.

In fact, given the current low rate of inflation and the guaranteed deposit and rate of return (unlike stocks, that could possibly lose you money, neither a CD nor savings account can do that), you can say that both of these are good investments.

However, if the same credit union offers you a savings account at 25% interest, freely accessible any time you like, or a CD at 5% interest that can only be cashed out at the end of its term, nothing about the CD has gotten worse, but it is still a bad investment.

Why? Opportunity cost. If you're investing in certificates of deposit at 5%, that same money can't also be used to earn 25% in a savings account.

The CD is now a very, very bad investment.

Likewise, getting Rey requires investing MORE gear/relics to get than SLKR because she requires one more r7 toon and one less r5 toon than SLKR. Sure, it's not a lot more, but you are trading g12 pieces for that relic salvage, and every bit counts.

Do you get the same return on investment? nope. Kylo solos HSTR, and in every guild that has anyone at all with a single GL, they're going to have lots and lots of people that can hit HSTR for decent damage. Because of this, there's no way you can keep pace. You do some of a phase, drop out, then start again (usually next phase) with a different squad and you've lost the opportunity for millions in damage. If there are a mere 3 SLKRs in your guild participating in each raid, you're guaranteed never ever to get the top gear box again.

So not only will you do approximately equal in Arena, worse in GAC (because of needing to break up multiple meta teams to put together your SLKR-killer squad), and spending just a bit more up front to get Rey in the first place, but if you went SLKR first, you get that extra gear payout from HSTR which, wait for it, makes your next GL farm easier.

If you don't have either GL then yes. Rey is now a worse investment than she was when the GLs were introduced. Opportunity cost matters.
  • Eweff
    400 posts Member
    Brotherius wrote: »
    Cuz Rey is still a top 3 character in the game...

Not top 2?

Imagine I put a gif here that was of yoda and it said “Vader. You must confront Vader”
  • hamfisted
    7 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Not top 2?

If we are talking starting from zero toons gear and care most about ROI, GAS is solidly ahead of Rey. He sets you up with Padme, Sep Droids, and himself for GAC/TW. With his squad you'll have the foundation laid for Shaak clones, which while impossible in high end guilds to get use out of these days is still good for low end guilds. HSTR may be old content, but it's still the single largest source of gear income IF you can reliably place t3.

Slaveen wrote: »
    5 toons vs 13 toons.

"Two sides of the same coin."

You missed relic JKR. Most reliable way to counter the Daka / Zombie cheese.
    Rey owner here, who uses resistance heros + GK/L3/zBariss to fill my team. Beat kylo majority of the time during my climb.

How old is your shard? Most of the people I talk to in shards that are older find that without 5s rey is anything but reliable on offense without JKR + GAS + GK. (and it's insane to have to use the 2nd best toon and JKR on the same team as her just to be able to climb) In mine Rey falls much further than SLK, and basically every Rey owner either uses the 5s cheese since it's the only way to reliably beat SLK. "majority of the time" is also a **** metric to use for climbing. I don't want a 65% winrate with the meta toon that I've got 15 relic toons invested into getting / using. Even at a 70% winrate it means I'll have to refresh daily to climb. Compare that to SLKR who now has 100% winrate on offense vs virtually every Rey lineup.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    hamfisted wrote: »
    Not top 2?

If we are talking starting from zero toons gear and care most about ROI, GAS is solidly ahead of Rey. He sets you up with Padme, Sep Droids, and himself for GAC/TW. With his squad you'll have the foundation laid for Shaak clones, which while impossible in high end guilds to get use out of these days is still good for low end guilds. HSTR may be old content, but it's still the single largest source of gear income IF you can reliably place t3.

5 toons vs 13 toons.

Rey owner here, who uses resistance heros + GK/L3/zBariss to fill my team. Beat kylo majority of the time during my climb.

How old is your shard? Most of the people I talk to in shards that are older find that without 5s rey is anything but reliable on offense without JKR + GAS + GK. (and it's insane to have to use the 2nd best toon and JKR on the same team as her just to be able to climb) In mine Rey falls much further than SLK, and basically every Rey owner either uses the 5s cheese since it's the only way to reliably beat SLK. "majority of the time" is also a **** metric to use for climbing. I don't want a 65% winrate with the meta toon that I've got 15 relic toons invested into getting / using. Even at a 70% winrate it means I'll have to refresh daily to climb. Compare that to SLKR who now has 100% winrate on offense vs virtually every Rey lineup.

Yeah this is complete and utter ****. “Two sides of the same coin”:

SLKR:
    Mirrors easily
    Holds better on defense
    Best PvE toon in the game
    Near 100% win rate against all Rey teams

Rey:
    Difficult mirrors
    Garbage PvE in raids, good but not great for TB
    20-30% win rate against SLKR
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member

SLKR:
    Mirrors easily
    Holds better on defense

Rey:
    Difficult mirrors

20-30% win rate you say? Sounds like we better buff SLKR

-CG probably
  • Nitrogen wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Who cares if it was known? I'm seeing the official game forum moderator tacitly acknowledge that SLK is all-around better than GLR. Meanwhile, devs say they're looking into an AI "fix" that will widen the gap. When the disparity became evident is not the source of the criticism.

There are players out there who are doing great with Rey, and yet some want to say " dont go for her" because some are having trouble winning in PvP. then listing out some mostly off the mark or known limitations as the reasoning.

criticism is great, and always helpful, but some of this just seems to be going off on a tangent of buyers remorse when it strays away from things that were known or are not really failings of the toon.

again, not saying they couldn't make changes to improve her. I'm not saying anything about that, just that it seems like many of the complaints about her are straying away from the point.

She is still a great toon, and worth the resources from many respects.

Your usually pretty level headed - but I think you're missing the point on this one. Of course she is a good toon - no one is or has argued that. The problem is she is no longer quite on the same level as SLKR - in large part because CG has gone out of their way to make him stronger in the one area that Rey had an edge....twice already and contemplating a third AI "buff". At the same time, they rework Vader in a way that seems specifically designed to take down Rey teams, as he is already excellent against Jedi (Rey's usual running mates) - which also increases his speed. SLKR is not nearly as vulnerable to Vader's kit - and I'm sure they play tested Vader against both.

So CG continues to weaken Rey by introducing more counters, all while buffing SLKR. Many people would have chosen a different GL if CG had made it clear at the start that their intention was to make one superior to the other in virtually every aspect of the game. But instead, as is their usual methodology, they communicated nothing, buffed Kylo...twice going on 3 times, released Vader to counter Rey and acted like everything was fine....again.

THAT is why people are frustrated. And, as usual CG's only response to this point is "We're looking into working on SLKR some more."

Pass on two words to Mark for me: Tone deaf.

8o3s848mol99.png

Well other than this part:

"SLKR is not nearly as vulnerable to Vader's kit - and I'm sure they play tested Vader against both."

We all know from experience that statement is probably not true. We players are testing for them right now! ;)
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Rey user here. Dropped 9+ months of hoarded gear to get her over the course of many, many weeks of farming LS nodes, and still farming for her ultimate. Incredibly irritated at what was advertised as 'balanced' being completely weighted in favor of SLKR now, and no conceivable way to get Kylo within literally years without dropping thousands.

I legitimately believe this is exactly what CG planned. Bait and switch the 'better PVP character' Rey once the majority of the player base gets her and buff Kylo to incentivize those players who got Rey to now spend for Kylo, but the obvious imbalance is now just leaving a sour taste in most players' mouths, even if it's pulling in a few tens of thousands more in the coffers. This during a period of anxiety (Ahnald's account, lack of RA for nearly a year after the last Hyperdrive RA), the community will only tolerate so much for the sake of the SW IP.

EDIT: Also that Vader can easily clear both GL is a huge slap in the face to all GL owners who spent or painfully farmed/hoarded for them. Even if you're F2P and excited you can now beat GLs with very little effort, please understand that this is awful for the future of the game. Whales keep the lights on, the Arena has been carefully curated for the past three years to 'protect' whales' investments (see tweaks to Malak, GAS, and Kylo's kits); for Whales to lose confidence that CG will ensure that their thousands of dollars of investments will keep them at the 'tip of the spear' and not be usurped by some random interaction with a F2P toon means less incentive for those whales to spend, which is indeed BAD for the future of the game.
  • Slaveen wrote: »
    Not top 2?

5 toons vs 13 toons.

SLKR:
    Mirrors easily
    Holds better on defense

Rey:
    Difficult mirrors

Rey is now definitely lagging behind Kylo in overall power, and something needs to be done to equalize the two.

That said, Rey mirrors are not difficult. They may take 3 minutes, but there's really no reason you shouldn't have a 100% win rate Rey v Rey.

Likewise, while I agree that SLKR is a more dangerous fight, you should be much closer to 85-90% win rate than 20-30%.

P.S. The common Rey, WAT, GK, JKR, GAS team (while making for a slow fight on defense), is not a great team for offense, especially against a mirror.

• Slaveen wrote: »
    Not top 2?

5 toons vs 13 toons.

SLKR:
    Mirrors easily
    Holds better on defense

Rey:
    Difficult mirrors

Rey is now definitely lagging behind Kylo in overall power, and something needs to be done to equalize the two.

That said, Rey mirrors are not difficult. They may take 3 minutes, but there's really no reason you shouldn't have a 100% win rate Rey v Rey.

Likewise, while I agree that SLKR is a more dangerous fight, you should be much closer to 85-90% win rate than 20-30%.

P.S. The common Rey, WAT, GK, JKR, GAS team (while making for a slow fight on defense), is not a great team for offense, especially against a mirror.

This one gets it
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    edited June 2020

I just learned about the Rey, GAS, WAT, Hoda, 3PO team, which has made mirrors SO much easier (although they still take 3 and a half to 4 min. )

That said, it makes zero sense that Rey is not effective with a full resistance team.

I just learned about the Rey, GAS, WAT, Hoda, 3PO team, which has made mirrors SO much easier (although they still take 3 and a half to 4 min. )

That said, it makes zero sense that Rey is not effective with a full resistance team.

Agree. Would like to see better team members from resistance.

Also, if your fighting the standard WAT/GAS/GK/JKR combo, the way to go imho is Raid Han, RHFinn, Gas, JKR. Letting the AI wat move is what makes those mirrors a pain. Delete Wat with Raid Han stun + JKR mark and the fight is easy. Just make sure you never use your ultimate until after the other rey enters hers. Also, look at TM as well... don't enter ultimate right after the other rey if you are significantly faster than the enemy; take a turn, and then enter on the next.

• Rey user here. Dropped 9+ months of hoarded gear to get her over the course of many, many weeks of farming LS nodes, and still farming for her ultimate. Incredibly irritated at what was advertised as 'balanced' being completely weighted in favor of SLKR now, and no conceivable way to get Kylo within literally years without dropping thousands.

I legitimately believe this is exactly what CG planned. Bait and switch the 'better PVP character' Rey once the majority of the player base gets her and buff Kylo to incentivize those players who got Rey to now spend for Kylo, but the obvious imbalance is now just leaving a sour taste in most players' mouths, even if it's pulling in a few tens of thousands more in the coffers. This during a period of anxiety (Ahnald's account, lack of RA for nearly a year after the last Hyperdrive RA), the community will only tolerate so much for the sake of the SW IP.

EDIT: Also that Vader can easily clear both GL is a huge slap in the face to all GL owners who spent or painfully farmed/hoarded for them. Even if you're F2P and excited you can now beat GLs with very little effort, please understand that this is awful for the future of the game. Whales keep the lights on, the Arena has been carefully curated for the past three years to 'protect' whales' investments (see tweaks to Malak, GAS, and Kylo's kits); for Whales to lose confidence that CG will ensure that their thousands of dollars of investments will keep them at the 'tip of the spear' and not be usurped by some random interaction with a F2P toon means less incentive for those whales to spend, which is indeed BAD for the future of the game.

Well said Wook✊. I believe the bait and switch was intentional as well. But maybe they didn't think about the apprehension they were installing with such a move.
    I was 3rd person to unlock in my guild and one of the first 10 in my shard. I spent quite a bit and unlocked faster than it would have been possible for any F2P to achieve. 3days after unlocking the buff came along. My Rey was still only g11 (I slowed the spending after unlock).
    If they think I will be spending a single penny chasing another meta like I did for Rey ever again they are dreaming. They can no longer be trusted to not pull something like that again.
  • Like I said before. If any other services in the world pulled something like that they would be labeled crooks and likely sued.
    Am I wrong?
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Where does it say they won't modify kits?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Stonefist
    90 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    TVF wrote: »

No where of course but a person doesn't expect
    to pay a hefty price to be one of the first able to unlock and your investment made second rate practically as soon as you get it.
    If you went out, researched, and bought what your research indicated was the fastest, best car on the planet.... And paid a lot for it.... I imagine you would not be pleased when the same manufacturer came out with a better faster one 3 days later.
    Then refused you a refund on top of that... Would you consider that unscrupulous?
  • TVF wrote: »

They said the two would be balanced. Thus if one gets a buff to avoid a cheese team, they should have done an equitable buff to the other, else (as we have) the two are imbalanced, not what was advertised.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Stonefist wrote: »

No where of course but a person doesn't expect
    to pay a hefty price to be one of the first able to unlock and your investment made second rate practically as soon as you get it.
    If you went out, researched, and bought what your research indicated was the fastest, best car on the planet.... And paid a lot for it.... I imagine you would not be pleased when the same manufacturer came out with a better faster one 3 days later.
    Then refused you a refund on top of that... Would you consider that unscrupulous?

No, why would that be unscrupulous? Unless you called up the company and asked them if they were planning on releasing an even faster car any time soon, and they said no, I don't see how they are to blame in the scenario you've described. There will always be a better model released at some point, and any assumption on your part about when that will happen is your own responsibility.

But that isn't really analogous to what's at issue here, which is a bit more like the car company breaking into your garage and replacing your engine with a slower one 3 days after you bought the car.
  • Rey user here. Dropped 9+ months of hoarded gear to get her

I don't have Rey, but I'm way too late in the process to switch. Everything is done except some relic tiers and then the ticket farming begins.

So I can't speak to how Rey plays for me, or her strengths and weaknesses in this or that battle, but I can say that I've been part of the FtP GL thread and a large number of people have reported getting her in far less than 9 months.

I certainly had a bit of g12 gear saved up before I started farming Rey, but I didn't start right after the announcement. I started right after I finished GAS which is 17 weeks (about 4 months) ago, and so my "hoard" was merely what i didn't have to use on SepDroids.

And now here I am, 4 months later, days away from starting my ticket farm.

Sure, it will take some people 9 months. I do have a comfortable crystal income, mostly from fleet, and not everyone does. But 9 months isn't going to be the norm for people actively working on Rey. Most people won't start working on her until after getting some other common meta toons, like JKR and DR. So maybe it takes years, but only in the sense that people aren't ready to start going for a GL until they're a couple years in. When they do actually focus, it's not going to take 9 months of gear, either hoarded or farmed, for the vast majority to get a GL.

In fact, my next GL will come even faster, because by the time I actually start working on SLKR, I'll have already farmed Hux and ST (they're both 80+/100 right now) and my FO start out much better geared than my resistance did, which included 2 completely ungeared toons (RHP and RHF) and two other g8 toons (Rose & Holdo) and only one g12 (JTR). These are the normal moves that people make to make Cap Ships usable (Hux) or add offense to a team that's got more defense (FO) that don't have anything to do with going after a GL, but eventually benefit you in the GL chase.

All of this is to say, please don't scare the newer players. This is only an effort that takes 9 months if you're splitting your efforts going after multiple things at once or if you go for a GL too early, when your roster is still new.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member

They said the two would be balanced.

Source please. People keep asserting this yet no one can actually show where they said it.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Stonefist wrote: »

No where of course

Ah well then there's no basis for your theoretical lawsuit.
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member

Source please. People keep asserting this yet no one can actually show where they said it.

So you're saying you thought they wouldn't be the same power level? Or that you're fine if one (the one that is harder to get mind you) is quite a bit weaker than the other one?

What?
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Destroy GL Rey with 4 G12 toons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQNasqnZTA&feature=emb_rel_pause

You can't beat a full G13 DR or GAS team with any 4 G12s in the game released before they were, but this is somehow a "Galactic Legend."
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Nitrogen wrote: »

So you're saying you thought they wouldn't be the same power level? Or that you're fine if one (the one that is harder to get mind you) is quite a bit weaker than the other one?

What?

I'm asking where they said it. Because people keep claiming they did, when in fact they didn't.

What?

Again, Rey owner here. Yes, kylo is now a much better toon to own than when he first came out. But does his moment in the sun completely diminish Reys viability? I mean, how long did people own Kylo for where he was literally being cheesed by 2man teams? That was a true slap in the face. These videos exist of f2p counters for Rey but it doesn’t seem as realistic because my Rey still holds up in arena, GAC, and TW paired with Hero’s / GK / L3. This past week, my Rey survived in GAC with that team against r7 DR, r7 GS, r5 Vader, and some other 4th team. In TW, she took 17 teams to take down compared to my ally’s Kylo taking 10. Let’s not blow this comparison out of proportion.

I do acknowledge Kylos buff making him much better now, which is why I’m nearing his unlock as well 🙂
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    These videos exist of f2p counters for Rey but it doesn’t seem as realistic because my Rey still holds up in arena, GAC, and TW paired with Hero’s / GK / L3. This past week, my Rey survived in GAC with that team against r7 DR, r7 GS, r5 Vader, and some other 4th team.

This is an excellent point that most people either ignore or don't understand. Videos are quite often misleading, either on purpose (for clicks) or not (lack of understanding) and just because there are several videos, it doesn't make them any less misleading. Until a counter actually gains footing in arena and GA/TW, it's not actually a counter. It's a video that doesn't mean anything.

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Destroy GL Rey with 4 G12 toons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQNasqnZTA&feature=emb_rel_pause

You can't beat a full G13 DR or GAS team with any 4 G12s in the game released before they were, but this is somehow a "Galactic Legend."

A g13 SE team could be taken down with a g12 + 1x g13 JKR team aswell and has been proven in the past, nothing special about it.
    GAS could be taken out by it aswell if it wasn't for the topple mechanic of GAS which makes it impossible to take him down "in one go" and he'll start to murder the jedi after standing up thx to his anti-buff kit that gives him hilarious amounts of stacking offense for buffs expiring.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • TVF wrote: »
    These videos exist of f2p counters for Rey but it doesn’t seem as realistic because my Rey still holds up in arena, GAC, and TW paired with Hero’s / GK / L3. This past week, my Rey survived in GAC with that team against r7 DR, r7 GS, r5 Vader, and some other 4th team.

This is an excellent point that most people either ignore or don't understand. Videos are quite often misleading, either on purpose (for clicks) or not (lack of understanding) and just because there are several videos, it doesn't make them any less misleading. Until a counter actually gains footing in arena and GA/TW, it's not actually a counter. It's a video that doesn't mean anything.

This is a lot of .. blabla ..defending CG on this decision to allow F2P Vader on-shot GL Rey (or in more general easily .. EASILY beat GL Rey teams).
    And, if there are multiple videos from multiple sources it clearly shows that it is a consistent situation ..