Why go for Rey

Replies

• TVF wrote: »
    Brotherius wrote: »
    These videos exist of f2p counters for Rey but it doesn’t seem as realistic because my Rey still holds up in arena, GAC, and TW paired with Hero’s / GK / L3. This past week, my Rey survived in GAC with that team against r7 DR, r7 GS, r5 Vader, and some other 4th team.

This is an excellent point that most people either ignore or don't understand. Videos are quite often misleading, either on purpose (for clicks) or not (lack of understanding) and just because there are several videos, it doesn't make them any less misleading. Until a counter actually gains footing in arena and GA/TW, it's not actually a counter. It's a video that doesn't mean anything.

This is a lot of .. blabla ..defending CG on this decision to allow F2P Vader on-shot GL Rey (or in more general easily .. EASILY beat GL Rey teams).
    And, if there are multiple videos from multiple sources it clearly shows that it is a consistent situation ..

But we’re talking about how videos DO NOT mean it is a consistent situation. Stop quoting what videos on YouTube show and look at what’s happening in game. Not a single Vader team in arenas, no Vader has beaten my Rey, and she still holds up perfectly well in GAC/TW. Sure, if circumstances are perfect then you can make it work, but 99% of people won’t have those perfect circumstances which means it’s not realistic for everyone.

Also, I do believe that GLs having some sort of f2p counter is a good thing. These characters being very difficult to beat is better than being literally impossible to beat. (Please don’t go and quote YouTube showing that they’re not “difficult to beat”)
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    I mean, how long did people own Kylo for where he was literally being cheesed by 2man teams? That was a true slap in the face.

Even at his worst he still could solo the single most important PVE area of the game, which gives the best rewards in the game, an area Rey is horrible in.
  • Brotherius
    201 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Nitrogen wrote: »
    I mean, how long did people own Kylo for where he was literally being cheesed by 2man teams? That was a true slap in the face.

Even at his worst he still could solo the single most important PVE area of the game, which gives the best rewards in the game, an area Rey is horrible in.

You mean heroic sith? Do you think anyone who was getting a GL off the bat was having trouble in this area? Also my Rey still does well in it, 15-20mil in a phase...not “horrible”. Also-arguably the most important/difficult PvE is NOT HSTR. It’s LS Geo...where Rey is a big help.
  • ZAP wrote: »

You mean heroic sith? Do you think anyone who was getting a GL off the bat was having trouble in this area? Also my Rey still does well in it, 15-20mil in a phase...not “horrible”. Also-arguably the most important/difficult PvE is NOT HSTR. It’s LS Geo...where Rey is a big help.

I’d say top 10 HSTR rewards are worth far more than a few more combat waves in LSTB.
    It’s worth quite a lot, and I still get top 5 without kylo. I think the point I was meaning wasn’t that HSTR rewards aren’t good, but comparing the difference maker in what you can/can’t do. I’d say those who get Kylo probably already had decent sith raid squads anyways. But I know at least for my guild Rey was literally one of 2 toons that can clear more than a couple of waves in LS Geo (Padme the other). GS is a tough ask because of the GET wall.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »

I’d say top 10 HSTR rewards are worth far more than a few more combat waves in LSTB.
    It’s worth quite a lot, and I still get top 5 without kylo.

You realize that doesn’t mean everyone else with Rey can, right?
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    These videos exist of f2p counters for Rey but it doesn’t seem as realistic because my Rey still holds up in arena, GAC, and TW paired with Hero’s / GK / L3. This past week, my Rey survived in GAC with that team against r7 DR, r7 GS, r5 Vader, and some other 4th team.

This is an excellent point that most people either ignore or don't understand. Videos are quite often misleading, either on purpose (for clicks) or not (lack of understanding) and just because there are several videos, it doesn't make them any less misleading. Until a counter actually gains footing in arena and GA/TW, it's not actually a counter. It's a video that doesn't mean anything.

This is a lot of .. blabla ..defending CG on this decision to allow F2P Vader on-shot GL Rey (or in more general easily .. EASILY beat GL Rey teams).
    And, if there are multiple videos from multiple sources it clearly shows that it is a consistent situation ..

But we’re talking about how videos DO NOT mean it is a consistent situation. Stop quoting what videos on YouTube show and look at what’s happening in game. Not a single Vader team in arenas, no Vader has beaten my Rey, and she still holds up perfectly well in GAC/TW. Sure, if circumstances are perfect then you can make it work, but 99% of people won’t have those perfect circumstances which means it’s not realistic for everyone.

Also, I do believe that GLs having some sort of f2p counter is a good thing. These characters being very difficult to beat is better than being literally impossible to beat. (Please don’t go and quote YouTube showing that they’re not “difficult to beat”)

Then let’s give Kylo the same and make Rey viable in a resistance team
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Slaveen wrote: »

Everyone with Rey deserves top 5 just because they have Rey?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nitrogen
    119 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Slaveen wrote: »

Everyone with Rey deserves top 5 just because they have Rey?

You keep moving the goalposts.

This whole thread is about Rey vs Kylo and why anyone should ever go for Rey anymore.

Kylo has been able to solo the raid since day one, Rey has always been terrible in the raids. Rey used to be superior on PVP, which made things even.

Now not only is she not better in PVP, but she clearly worse.

She now has a F2P counter which makes GAC matchups completely uneven. Kylo players can put him on defense with a full FO team and be fine. Rey owners have to break apart multiple meta teams to beat that Kylo team leaving them at a severe disadvantage.

The two GL's are not comparable anymore.

• Someone might just like Rey
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Someone might just like Rey

Fair enough though :D
  • *looks around at thread on fire*

So we're all in agreement that allowing for simming of the HSR and HTank after N successful attempts within the guild would help with the gear acquisition disparity between GLs, as well as just a much needed QOL improvement at this point?
  • So we're all in agreement that allowing for simming of the HSR and HTank after N successful attempts within the guild would help with the gear acquisition disparity between GLs, as well as just a much needed QOL improvement at this point?

I agree that it would help with the gear disparity.

Since I don't have SLKR, I find HSTR still fun, and I'm not interested in losing access to content without getting more - a LOT more - to replace it.

Now, my fun is limited, of course, because others in my guild do have SLKR. So I have a strict limit on what I can do, and when. But I do like fighting the raid.

That said... I'd be okay with ditching the raid for a sim with equitable distribution of gear. It's no fun, but the gear bit is a real problem and needs to be fixed. It needed to be fixed even before SLKR because the disparity between finishing 1-3 and 4-10 is so huge, and the drop between #10 and #11 is even bigger. You have a lot of people who are contributing substantially to the raid. And with any given raid, if the top 10 contributors didn't show up at all, the raid would hardly last 5 or 10 minutes longer. Where you finish is as much about whether you have time to wait for the exact hour, minute & second the raid starts as it is about your roster at this point.

I might like the rewards when I take top 3 (as I used to all the time before switching guilds) or top 10 (which I do about 1/2 the time in my new guild), but I also feel guilty.

The current system isn't fair, and SLKR just highlights it.

So, sure, give us a simmable HSTR, but don't call it a "quality of life" update. My quality of life gets better when it gets easier to manage mods, or there's a shorter timer between challenges.

My quality of life doesn't get better when you reduce content even further.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Where does it say they won't modify kits?

They said the two would be balanced.

Source please. People keep asserting this yet no one can actually show where they said it.

So you're saying you thought they wouldn't be the same power level?

I'm not sure why anybody would have believed they would be the same power level. Even if CG had said they would be (which as far as I can tell they did not), did you really think they were competent enough to do it?

I waited a while after I could have committed to a GL specifically to see which one was going to be better, because I never believed they would actually be equal.
  • I agree with the post on this topic. And I do not understand, EA sees and understands the problem, but does not make any decisions.
  • I agree with the post on this topic. And I do not understand, EA sees and understands the problem, but does not make any decisions.
  • HokieFiend
    444 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Rey should have a way to solo the raids at the least with the damage Traya inflicts on Sion and Nihilus to kill them off included in any total damage count for the player.

They've moved the goalposts on both GL's so much since release that any reasoning on going for Rey was made useless.

People have a right to be angry about this and should use any means they deem appropriate to be made whole. Fully justified.
  • Dont go for Rey.

CG wants you to go on SLKR. Buffed every weeks, rey has counter popping every weeks.

SLKR is a nightmare to fight with Rey. Ulti back to back, clearly op, designed to destroy Rey.

Rey is ko, SLKR is king in every game mode. Rey is crap.

End of the story
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Dont go for Rey.

CG wants you to go on SLKR. Buffed every weeks, rey has counter popping every weeks.

SLKR is a nightmare to fight with Rey. Ulti back to back, clearly op, designed to destroy Rey.

End of the story

tenor.gif?itemid=11538657

Rey is not crap, and beats SLKR easy with some changes to your team/strat. Do some research.

Before anyone starts in on me again, I would definitely recommend chasing SLKR over Rey now, unless you are focused on TB. But it's silly to say she's crap, and lazy to say she can't beat SLKR.
  • chmoAr0ufif0u
    83 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    <empty>
  • I don't care about soloing raids etc... I just wish I didn't have to break teams to be able to beat Kylo.

I have to use 5s, echo and gas (and wat) just to beat kylo. It's easily to get a 1 shot, but in GAC... it means you're screwed because you have to use GAS and clones with REy to beat Kylo.

Whereas kylo can use his FO team and still be a solid team. Rey should be able to beat kylo and kylo should be able to beat rey, without having to use lots of other members of different teams. You've made us relic some characters to get them, at least make them viable to counter each other.

I don't mind being beaten by slkr, I do mind the fact that I can't beat kylo without cheese tactics.
  • AlexanderG
    1927 posts Member
    Dont go for Rey.

End of the story

Rey clearly isn't crap. She is a powerhouse character and I wouldn't read too much into a few YouTube videos of her getting taken down by Vader.

I've just checked the top of my arena shard. 5 of the top 10 are Rey including ranks #1 and #2.

If you're saying that if you knew then what you know now, you'd have farmed the requirements for SL Kylo then fair enough. But that does not mean that Rey is crap.
  • HokieFiend
    444 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    Dont go for Rey.

End of the story

Rey clearly isn't crap. She is a powerhouse character and I wouldn't read too much into a few YouTube videos of her getting taken down by Vader.

I've just checked the top of my arena shard. 5 of the top 10 are Rey including ranks #1 and #2.

If you're saying that if you knew then what you know now, you'd have farmed the requirements for SL Kylo then fair enough. But that does not mean that Rey is crap.

For a character that had a far more punitive farm, it's ridiculous. These characters were meant to have the same value to a player. As it stands they don't, end of story.

The people who have Rey have a right to be angry about what's happened. I'm sure a lot of them are going the direction of Urz in part because of it. Give them some time to make it right... if not peace out and start the reclamation process.

It's really despicable what they've done and as Mando would say I'd imagine "this is the way" going forward if they release more GL's. There are always two... and they will buff and nerf dependent on which one more people go for. It's unreal though I guess we shouldn't expect any less.
  • Yes, calling Rey crap is clearly bananas and derails the point of the thread.

I don't really post much but wanted to air my thoughts just to get them off my chest. For full disclosure I'm about a month away from unlocking Rey - will be starting ticket farming when the Raddus rolls around at the end of the week. As soon as that's done I'm moving onto SLKR.

In answer to the topic, broadly speaking for the investment one must make to acquire her as of right now she just doesn't seem to be worth it.
    However I can think of three reasons as to why someone may want to go for Rey currently:

1. They love the character and build their SWGOH collection based on personal favourites and care little for how 'good' a given unit is
    2. They already have SLKR and everything else (JKL etc) and have nothing else to farm
    3. They already have a very strong Resistance faction whilst also having an absolutely awful FO faction (possibly ties into #1)

That's about it. There's an argument for LSgTB but I don't really buy that. The difference she makes there is negligible to your guild's rewards and even if everyone in the guild has her and gets an extra 4/4 per phase (which is unrealistic as she can't do jedi missions, so it's probably going from what was a 2 or 3/4 and turning that into a 4/4) that still only equates to a marginally better reward which occurs once per month.

By any other metric SLKR just outshines her by an order of magnitude. In arena he can beat any team on offense (including any Rey comp) fairly easily. Mirrors can be a pain but are nothing like as bad as Rey mirrors. On defense he holds better than Rey due to there being fewer counters. When the inevitable Fives AI tweak drops Rey is really going to struggle. Of course it's not impossible but the point is it's harder for Rey to beat Kylo than the other way around.

In TW and GAC the problem is exacerbated as Kylo works extremely well with an all-FO squad. Malak is a popular inclusion but not a necessity to field a very competent team. Rey, conversely, becomes far less effective than in arena due to the fact she typically needs GAS, GK and JKR (often Hyoda as well) to prevent her from being destroyed. Look at how may resistance squads are competing at the top-end of arena compared to FO. It's not pretty.

So, as far as PVP goes she is close in arena but still noticeably worse than SLKR. In other PVP modes she suffers and falls much further behind SLKR.

For PVE, she does very well in LSgTB. But of course Kylo is great in DSgTB and as mentioned earlier these modes are not really impacted heavily by a single team.

For the raids (and let's be honest, it's HSTR that we care about) there is just no comparison. Rey seems to have no real use, in fact I'd go as far as saying might actually be less use overall than JTR, who can finish p1 and a good chunk of p2. She can get some work done and put up okay scores but nothing special or noteworthy. Then if we compare that to Kylo, who solos the whole thing, the disparity is shocking. And unlike the TBs this makes a massive difference to progression. If you're in a guild with multiple SLKRs you will likely need him to be competitive. If not, SLKR is your ticket to the top of the leaderboard and all the lovely gear that comes with it. And considering the frequency of that raid you've essentially supercharged every farm going forward.

Finally, going for Rey does get you some good teams. JTR and the bros are solid, Holdo is great and OG Finn can be useful as a bug-killer with the right companions. Sadly there are also some absolute duds in there, mainly Rose and RP. FO is also strong though, it might be slightly better overall but it's close enough that I don't think there's too much difference. But of course you can farm these guys without going for Rey (sparing yourself an R5 Rose in the process!) so again it's not a reason to go for Rey, as such. Especially as the Rey farm takes more gear and relic mats than SLKR.

Wow, sorry for the essay. Found that to be quite cathartic!

Here's hoping CG will give her some much-needed love. The only other point is that she's potentially much, much, much better than SLKR in a game mode that we've not yet seen. But as we're talking about why go for Rey as of right now that's irrelevant.
  • You all made me laugh with your "Rey is not crap"

I am sorry but for the insane requirement and gear she needs to be at her best, she does not worth it. Now with a 60 banners win with f2p easy team, she is clearly crap.

And spare me with your strategy tips. Yeah I can beat Kylo by using 4 meta A toons by her side. In the meantime, kylo just needs the first order.

Stop being ridiculous by saying those lies.

Rey is crap, it is the truth
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    k
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Now with a 60 banners win with f2p easy team, she is clearly crap.

Btw, which team? Vader? You been doing that?