Disney removing sequel trilogy from canon rumours

Affy
63 posts Member
Guild mate sent me this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtj6GaJPNKY&feature=share

Apparently a “civil war’ is ongoing in Disney about how to save Star Wars and the latest rumour is to make it an “alternative timeline” and remake the sequels (or leave them!).

S is not my video and I have no source - just wondered what people thought on the exceptionally unlikely chance it could be true.

Replies

• Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Well then they wasted their chance to do a proper sequel trilogy. Carrie Fisher is dead. Harrison Ford probably won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Just let it be, and all the b**t-hurt fans need to move on.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Right ... because the alternative timeline approach worked so well for the Star Trek franchise.

I'm not really a fan of the World Between Worlds aspect of the Force that Rebels introduced ... but it has been established and accepted as canon. Since Ezra and Ahsoka (and Sheev ... perhaps Anakin) are the only Force-users we have seen that know about it, it would seem to me that they are the only ones who could possibly make use of it to launch the alternative timeline ploy. Not that anyone cares, but this is probably the only way I would be willing to return to SW films.

Ezra saved Ahsoka from Vader using the WBW. Then he yeeted out with Thrawn and the space squids. I think the redemption of the story lies along this arc. Bring back Ezra, Ahsoka, and Thrawn. Thrawn could do his evil genius thing and threaten to conquer the galaxy. Ezra could find a Jedi temple with a portal to the WBW and use it to enlist the help of Master Luke before his temporarily insane thought to kill Kylo which caused the destruction of his Jedi Academy. Bring Luke into the future to help Ezra and Ahsoka deal with Thrawn. Of course Thrawn would have to destroy the temple after this to at least temporarily close the door on additional time-traveling shenanigans.

With the loss of their teacher, the academy could evolve into the Knights of Ren, perhaps a group of grey Jedi with somewhat unclear loyalties. Maybe they are just trying to protect their little corner of the galaxy but eventually get **** into the growing galactic conflict.

Meanwhile, Thrawn joins up with Sheev who has been training his progeny Rey. The whole saga could be a big multi-sided conflict:
    1. Thrawn/Hux/Phasma and the First Order / Imperial navy (bad guys)
    2. Sheev/Rey (dark side guys)
    3. Luke/Ezra/Ahsoka (light side guys)
    4. Ben and the Knights of Ren (grey side guys)
    5. Ackbar/Wedge and the Republic fleet (good guys)
    6. Hondo Ohnaka gang (pirate guys)
    7. Grysk Hegemony (more bad guys)
    8. Chiss Ascendancy (those other guys)

They could even do it Marvel Universe style and have a multiple film series instead of just a trilogy. There is so much to work with here, and this is just from the new canon. It could be glorious.

But they would need a good team to do it, and past performance has shown that this is not something they are capable of.

Edit: obvious from this post that this is something that captures my interest though. lol
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member

Meanwhile, Thrawn joins up with Sheev who has been training his progeny Rey. The whole saga could be a big multi-sided conflict:

[/i]
    Have you read the Thrawn books? He would never join such an incompetent group like the First Order; only maybe if he had the power to change a lot about them and in that case, Hux would be one of the first to either get executed or send to a totally unimportant job. B)

If there's any kind of hope for a real new timeline from some time before the current sequels, I wish they work on it with Dave Filoni and Timothy Zahn as the story tellers. Especially with Thrawn and Ezra, they must have planned a lot... maybe they got only captured by the Purgills to save the galaxy from the sequel trilogy and
    the Grysk
    ! ;)
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    This would be a very big mistake. They need to move on.

If Disney wants to do it right, (if Disney’s listening, you’re welcome) they need to pick a new era and put together a good story crew. They need an overarching story, with good characters, and fun Star Warsy adventures. People will love it. But they have to stay working towards their goal, their common narrative. If they get too distracted, or money hungry, or reactive, then the whole thing will fall apart.

Now, I really really hope that this is the plan for the High Republic.
  • CadoaBane wrote: »

[/i]
    Have you read the Thrawn books? He would never join such an incompetent group like the First Order; only maybe if he had the power to change a lot about them and in that case, Hux would be one of the first to either get executed or send to a totally unimportant job. B)

If there's any kind of hope for a real new timeline from some time before the current sequels, I wish they work on it with Dave Filoni and Timothy Zahn as the story tellers. Especially with Thrawn and Ezra, they must have planned a lot... maybe they got only captured by the Purgills to save the galaxy from the sequel trilogy and
    the Grysk
    ! ;)

The only way Thrawn would join the FO is if it benefited the Ascendancy.
    But I think Thrawn and Ezra should join up. Thrawn isn't really an imp from the Zahn books, just siding with the empire because they could be useful to the Ascendancy.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    All they need to do is create a new movie arc, there is a terrible future coming and they must go back in time to stop it. No reset, no removal from canon. Then go forward with the new arc. Simple. The new timeline could retcon certain aspects because of the stopping of the dark future. A simple arc could be Rey experiences a series of setbacks and is convinced the Jedi/Sith Orders need to end (sound familiar? lol).So begins her search for a way to stop the dark future that will befall the galaxy.

This could give them easily a new trilogy. They can even bring Kylo back to be with Rey. Simple. Fans of the current trilogy still have their movies, old school have a new future to look forward to, and all are happy. Disney make my check payable to... lol

Poe "Rey what are you going to do?" Rey "Finish what Kylo started.."

Cue ominous music!
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Cue
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

[/i]

the Grysk
    ! ;)

Yes, I have read Zahn's new Thrawn trilogy, and that is exactly what Thrawn's presence would do, temper the FO from zealots into the second coming of imperial rule. The FO could and should still exist in an alternate timeline, but it could evolve differently with Thrawn. Hux could be more of an administrator, a bureaucrat of sorts. Phasma could be a General Veers type, leading troops into glorious battle in her shining chrome armor. Maintain the leadership trio structure, but with Thrawn instead of Kylo. Plus, keeping the FO around would be an acknowledgement to the efforts of those who tried to make the sequels great. And of course like mentioned, Thrawn's interest in the FO would be that a strong military presence in this sector would protect the Ascendency.

Little problem here, though ... Ezra would be just as old as Luke (if not older), and Ahsoka and Thrawn would be older than both of them! So yeah, probably not a great premise. But it was fun to think about.

[/i]

the Grysk
    ! ;)

Yes, I have read Zahn's new Thrawn trilogy, and that is exactly what Thrawn's presence would do, temper the FO from zealots into the second coming of imperial rule. The FO could and should still exist in an alternate timeline, but it could evolve differently with Thrawn. Hux could be more of an administrator, a bureaucrat of sorts. Phasma could be a General Veers type, leading troops into glorious battle in her shining chrome armor. Maintain the leadership trio structure, but with Thrawn instead of Kylo. Plus, keeping the FO around would be an acknowledgement to the efforts of those who tried to make the sequels great. And of course like mentioned, Thrawn's interest in the FO would be that a strong military presence in this sector would protect the Ascendency.

Little problem here, though ... Ezra would be just as old as Luke (if not older), and Ahsoka and Thrawn would be older than both of them! So yeah, probably not a great premise. But it was fun to think about.

Age may not be a huge factor for non-humans. So only Ezra may be old.
    But something that surprised me is that there were not more Jedi in the sequel. Ezra, Kanan and Ahsoka kinda prove that there were other Jedi to survive the purge. I think it would have been better if more of them came out of hiding after the fall. Plus that could've played into a moral thing for Thrawn, since the ascendancy uses force sensitives for navigators/pilots. I would love to see how Thrawn reacts to learning about the Jedi purge.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    I wish the rumours were true, but it'll never happen.

The only sensible thing that Disney can do to carry on and not ever have to waste money on admitting any mistake was made is to carry on Star Wars in a way that makes the ST completely separate.

Not have the Mandalorian tie into the ST in any way for example and other future projects to be so far in the past or future that the events of the ST are irrelevant.

That way the die hard fans can end the saga as originally intended with ROTJ and those that want more and enjoy the ST have them as well.

Its a win/win.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    I wish the rumours were true, but it'll never happen.

The only sensible thing that Disney can do to carry on and not ever have to waste money on admitting any mistake was made is to carry on Star Wars in a way that makes the ST completely separate.

Not have the Mandalorian tie into the ST in any way for example and other future projects to be so far in the past or future that the events of the ST are irrelevant.

That way the die hard fans can end the saga as originally intended with ROTJ and those that want more and enjoy the ST have them as well.

Its a win/win.

Fair enough.

Then make something new, and please stop making it obvious that you’re just milking Star Wars. Disney, that’s my only hope.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »

[/i]

the Grysk
    ! ;)

Age may not be a huge factor for non-humans. So only Ezra may be old.
    But something that surprised me is that there were not more Jedi in the sequel. Ezra, Kanan and Ahsoka kinda prove that there were other Jedi to survive the purge. I think it would have been better if more of them came out of hiding after the fall. Plus that could've played into a moral thing for Thrawn, since the ascendancy uses force sensitives for navigators/pilots. I would love to see how Thrawn reacts to learning about the Jedi purge.

We have no idea where Ezra and Thrawn went and therefore have no idea if wherever they went is different in regard to physics or even time - they may not have hardly aged at all.