Time to change GA matchmaking?

Replies

• TVF wrote: »
    Paulos999 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Playing like TVF is hardly even playing the game, just log in get some gear then log back out... exciting not even going on your gear screen.

Very true.

Well, except for doing arena battles.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

And events like Jedi Luke's event, which I got to enjoy and most people didn't.

What a few battles in TB a few I’m TW and not completing all the assault battles either... yeah great loads of fun.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

Oh and fleet arena is boring as sin as is squad arena.

glad you love it though.

So the only thing you like is GAC, but you can't win because of matchmaking.

Maybe consider building your roster for GAC then.

Where did he say that he can't win? I'll save you the time because he didn't.

He said this @MetaThumper:

So every GA I’m getting people with both GLs and JKL.

How am I supposed to win with just one GL? It’s just not gonna happen”

So he said it in the very first post. You’re welcome.
    Playing like TVF is hardly even playing the game, just log in get some gear then log back out... exciting not even going on your gear screen.

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

What a few battles in TB a few I’m TW and not completing all the assault battles either... yeah great loads of fun.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Where did he say that he can't win? I'll save you the time because he didn't.

Edit - nvrmnd and thank you @DarjeloSalas
  • Oh and to address you comment regarding guilds in TW with GL's and those without.

I and my guild have no GL of either sort. I will state that again in case you missed it, we have no GL's yet

In our last 3 TW's we have encountered opponents that do, one of them had 5 in fact. We have lost 2 and won 1 of them

Did we proceed to eject our dummies and stomp our feet? Nope, we did what we could, moved on and continued to work towards achieving our own GL's, working within the system to try and get back onto an even playing field

I suggest you do the same

Can’t you read?

I haven’t ejected my dummy in fact I’ve said about 10 times I don’t care tbh, but I thought I would mention it..

Alright CHIEF.
  • Paulos999 wrote: »
    Genuinely curious, does the OP have any suggestions for a better MM system?

Do they just want a literal mirror match for opponents? If so, where does the criteria end? Mirror on characters? What about zetas? Or mods?

Does the OP get paid to come up with a better system?

OP has a full time job and kids, I can suggest the matchmaking is poor with taking the time to think of something better that is for the people who get paid a lot of money I’m sure to make this a good game.

Not like much else is being done atm is it.

Ah, so just a moan and cop out, like 90% of the complaint threads about MM

Just checking

Oh another toxic forum person sound.

Yeah let’s do their jobs for them I think the issue is the fact there is that many matchmaking threads ey..

I’m sure you think it’s alright to match guild with lots of GLs against guilds without them because a few people are sitting out (can’t help that).

Lol. Hmmm, come and moan, offer no suggestions and call others toxic. Yeah, you caught me dead to rights there chief

So in your previous GA matchups, where you have had the advantage - ie you have a GL, they don't or GAs and they don't or Malak and they dont, etc, have you gone easy on them?

Did you think, blimey that's unfair I better not use those advantages that I worked towards, that would be wrong. Bet I can guess the answer....

Did you come onto the forums and complain that it was unfair for your opponent. Again I bet I can guess the answer...

This game and pretty much most things in life have things in common, in this case, consequences and actions.
    You want to have a system that makes it so that you can decide to develop your roster any way you like and no-one should have an advantage over you, regardless of those choices.

Well sorry to disappoint you, it ain't gonna happen

Just for the record I don’t pull people without a GL at 6.2 mill Gp nice talk though.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Oh you’re back again done hoarding for the day... You and this lot saying the same thing over and over it’s boring. 😴

Forum warriors all over who like there easy match ups god forbid someone should mention it needs changing 😥

A response that attacks me instead of addressing the point, nice work.

Attacking you by pointing out you lot are just repeating the same thing over and over and it’s boring.. if that’s attacking you then you shouldn’t be on the internet.

Alright for all you to jump on someone for making a suggestion though ey.

The "repeating the same thing over and over and it's getting boring" door is nicely swinging both ways at this point.

I’m not asking anyone to reply... but here you are with another comment. 👍🏻

Cool, here's hoping the dual GL matchups continue.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • ImaSmakya wrote: »

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Oh you’re back again done hoarding for the day... You and this lot saying the same thing over and over it’s boring. 😴

Forum warriors all over who like there easy match ups god forbid someone should mention it needs changing 😥

Attacking you by pointing out you lot are just repeating the same thing over and over and it’s boring.. if that’s attacking you then you shouldn’t be on the internet.

The "repeating the same thing over and over and it's getting boring" door is nicely swinging both ways at this point.

Okay for what must be atleast the 10th time in this thread just so you’re aware aswell I’m not bothered in the slightest I just posted a suggestion.

It is a game it doesn’t effect my life in any possible way.

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Okay for what must be atleast the 10th time in this thread just so you’re aware aswell I’m not bothered in the slightest I just posted a suggestion.

Ok then we can all move on right?

Yes please that would be amazing.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Yes please that would be amazing.

Sounds good.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • It’s a strange thing, the top X matchmaking system.

It was initially introduced after people complained - quite rightly - that the use of total GP to match was flawed. This was the start of the lean roster era, when you’d meet people with dozens of lvl1 g1 toons, or some they hadn’t even activated yet.

The justification for the change was to eradicate people benefiting from not developing their rosters.

But now the top X system has been around a while, it’s clear that they haven’t really eradicated the issue. Players have had long enough to manipulate the weak toons out of their top X and the smartest PvP approach now is to not gear a toon until you have absolutely everything ready to take them straight to g12/13.

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Hope so, otherwise he might bring up his 6.2 mill GP E-peen again in the same breath about how unfair it is for him

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

Hope so, otherwise he might bring up his 6.2 mill GP E-peen again in the same breath about how unfair it is for him

I dunno where you came from but you can stop now 😴 as TVF said we’re not gonna agree so let’s move on.

It was initially introduced after people complained - quite rightly - that the use of total GP to match was flawed. This was the start of the lean roster era, when you’d meet people with dozens of lvl1 g1 toons, or some they hadn’t even activated yet.

The justification for the change was to eradicate people benefiting from not developing their rosters.

But now the top X system has been around a while, it’s clear that they haven’t really eradicated the issue. Players have had long enough to manipulate the weak toons out of their top X and the smartest PvP approach now is to not gear a toon until you have absolutely everything ready to take them straight to g12/13.

Exactly I do agree tbh it would probably never be right, I just thought there would be a fairer way, but like you said it used to be unfair to other people so I guess it is what it is.

Even if they did change it wouldn’t take long for the player base to work out how to work around it same as they did this time with galaxy of hoarders.

Doesn’t effect my life we’re moving on 😁
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

It’s a public forum. Next time you don’t want other opinions, just write something on a post it.

Only need the same opinion once not over and over and over surely you people can see what’s already been said...

The irony is strong in this comment.

• Waqui wrote: »

Very true.

And fleet arena battles.

And TB battles.

And TW battles.

And Sith raid.

And Assault Battles.

Enjoy hoarding. 👍🏻

glad you love it though.

It’s a public forum. Next time you don’t want other opinions, just write something on a post it.

Only need the same opinion once not over and over and over surely you people can see what’s already been said...

The irony is strong in this comment.

Not you again please read we’ve moved on drop it.
  • MetaThumper
    496 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    It’s a strange thing, the top X matchmaking system.

Yes and well said. All I want is to be on a fair and even surface with opponents and that's it. I don't want it too easy nor do I want it to be too difficult. We should be able to not have to worry about one mode while potentially sacrificing another. That just doesn't make sense to me at all and it's my ONLY real gripe with the system. I don't have a reliable counter to GL's until next week and that's 100% my choice. My roster is very top heavy so I face them just about every match now and am doing ok. I'm still able to pull 2/3 each week minimum so the system definitely shows promise. I don't like how it can be manipulated and that should definitely be looked into a little further. But they most definitely are on the right track
    Post edited by MetaThumper on

Yes and well said. All I want is to be on a fair and even surface with opponents and that's it. I don't want it too easy now do I want it to be too difficult. We should be able to not have to worry about one mode while potentially sacrificing another. That just doesn't make sense to me at all and it's my ONLY real gripe with the system. I don't have a reliable counter to GL's until next week and that's 100% my choice. My roster is very top heavy so I face them just about every match now and am doing ok. I'm still able to pull 2/3 each week minimum so the system definitely shows promise. I don't like how it can be manipulated and that should definitely be looked into a little further. But they most definitely are on the right track

Probably explained it better than I did. ^
  • It seems like the majority of people who defend mm, make 4 assumptions that aren't necessarily true.
    1-People complain only based off wins and losses, for most, I think, it's more about having a chance
    2-complainers don't understand the MM
    3-because you can manipulate the system to your advantage it's ok
    4- that mismatches are only about choices, I get if I relic ewok instead of sith empire I'm in trouble, that's different than if my opponent has a full relic 7 sith empire and I haven't unlocked Revan yet and everything else is equal.

I don't think mm is as good as it could be. I enjoy the matches where my choices during the match, ie what teams I set on def and what counters I use decide the match. My favourite gac I lost all 3 matches by a total of less than 50 pts. My problem is that more and more the def I face is the same and the winner is determined by the more developed roster. Typically 12 or 13 of my top 15 teams are shared with my opponent, it's frustrating when the different team is my next step and not much fun when half my teams a gear level ahead of theirs. The current system leads to stagnant teams or mismatches.

I think more divisions would help, other possible ways to improve mm are basing it off teams you'll use and adjusting galactic power ratings. I personally think leadership zetas should add more gp than regular zetas and relics don't add enough gp.
  • No matter what my guild does, it always catches an opponent IMPOSSIBLE to be beaten.

When we exceed 225 million PG. we usually take an opponent with 20M more power and are crushed like rebel soldiers by the darth vader.

When we do not exceed PG, we are received in the proportion of
    Legends 1 vs 9
    GS: 20 vs 40

It's almost like it's written that we have to get lost and F ***
    having increased the number of PG divisions helps but it was not enough.

And why are we NEVER blessed with a weaker opponent?

Despite respecting contrary opinions, in this case the pairing system is a mess (to say the least)
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Why is it strange?

Matchmaking by GP makes sense because it represents the amount of resources invested in a roster.

But a significant chunk of that GP is tied up in lower powered characters and ships which the player is unlikely to use in a GA match.

So when GA matched by full roster GP, collectors, long-time players and fleet-heavy players all found themselves at a disadvantage because of choices they made before GA even existed.

The only thing older accounts could do was add more GP, making their situation even worse.

Newer accounts were effectively compelled to suppress GP growth in order to avoid finding themselves in the same position as the older accounts.

Switching to top {x} GP when GAC was introduced alleviated the problem by allowing players to develop the lower part of their roster as they pleased without being penalized at matchmaking and the addition of g13/relics enabled older rosters to be rebalanced by selectively adding g13/ relics to key toons/squads.

As I recall, the general reception was positive, with most posters reporting more reasonable matchups. The main complaint was around matching across division boundaries, which was subsequently eliminated.

Switching to top {x} did remove the pressure to suppress roster development.

What it also did was increase the potential for active roster management.

SWGoH is a roster and resources management game. We have limited resources and we have to decide how to allocate them, which toons / ships to power up and how much.

It is not necessary to hoard all of the gear to take a toon straight to g13. That suggestion is plainly ridiculous. Anything below your top {x} GP can be developed at will, with no adverse effect on your GAC matchmaking.

Once you get above that point, it will make a difference but how much and whether it matters depends what you are doing.

If you r7 and zeta a full squad, that is going to add a lot of GP but if you are just adding a useful zeta or bumping a toon up a gear level because they feel too squishy for the squad they are in, that isn't going to make much difference.

Not every toon needs to be g13r7 to be effective. It's really about what you want to use them for and how tough the opposition - PVE or PVP - is.

For example, many people don't gear Phoenix beyond g8/9, except for Ezra, because that was enough to get Palpatine & Thrawn and Phoenix aren't a great investment beyond that point.

As a general rule, primary attackers and tanks should be higher geared/relic'd because they should be the primary combatants, dealing and taking most of the damage.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Why is it strange?

Matchmaking by GP makes sense because it represents the amount of resources invested in a roster.

But a significant chunk of that GP is tied up in lower powered characters and ships which the player is unlikely to use in a GA match.

So when GA matched by full roster GP, collectors, long-time players and fleet-heavy players all found themselves at a disadvantage because of choices they made before GA even existed.

The only thing older accounts could do was add more GP, making their situation even worse.

Newer accounts were effectively compelled to suppress GP growth in order to avoid finding themselves in the same position as the older accounts.

Switching to top {x} GP when GAC was introduced alleviated the problem by allowing players to develop the lower part of their roster as they pleased without being penalized at matchmaking and the addition of g13/relics enabled older rosters to be rebalanced by selectively adding g13/ relics to key toons/squads.

As I recall, the general reception was positive, with most posters reporting more reasonable matchups. The main complaint was around matching across division boundaries, which was subsequently eliminated.

Switching to top {x} did remove the pressure to suppress roster development.

What it also did was increase the potential for active roster management.

SWGoH is a roster and resources management game. We have limited resources and we have to decide how to allocate them, which toons / ships to power up and how much.

It is not necessary to hoard all of the gear to take a toon straight to g13. That suggestion is plainly ridiculous. Anything below your top {x} GP can be developed at will, with no adverse effect on your GAC matchmaking.

Once you get above that point, it will make a difference but how much and whether it matters depends what you are doing.

If you r7 and zeta a full squad, that is going to add a lot of GP but if you are just adding a useful zeta or bumping a toon up a gear level because they feel too squishy for the squad they are in, that isn't going to make much difference.

Not every toon needs to be g13r7 to be effective. It's really about what you want to use them for and how tough the opposition - PVE or PVP - is.

For example, many people don't gear Phoenix beyond g8/9, except for Ezra, because that was enough to get Palpatine & Thrawn and Phoenix aren't a great investment beyond that point.

As a general rule, primary attackers and tanks should be higher geared/relic'd because they should be the primary combatants, dealing and taking most of the damage.
    I think the example I’m referring to is the one that germinated this entire thread.

If people are gearing up their toons on the way to unlocking SLKR, or especially Rey, they are going to make GAC matchmaking more difficult for themselves than if they hoard and blow it all when they’re ready.

Relic level Holdo, Rose, ResPilot, VetChewy are a necessary evil if they mean you also have Rey. If you’re gearing as you go and don’t yet have Rey but the 4 of them are sitting there, they are stinking up your top X.

I take your point about not needing to leave them at gear 1 lvl 1. But the current Matchmaking system has meant that incremental gearing is now something that handicaps players if they do it with toons that unlock others.

That’s just the way the game has developed. As more and more people have farmed every toon and ship, the devs had to introduce gear as the main wall to unlocking a new toon. It’s impossible to have Rey, SLKR, or JKL without some baggage in your top 80. And anyone choosing to gear those toons as they work on them is making matchmaking worse than those who hoard.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Vi1teran_ wrote: »
    It seems like the majority of people who defend mm, make 4 assumptions that aren't necessarily true.
    1-People complain only based off wins and losses, for most, I think, it's more about having a chance
    2-complainers don't understand the MM
    3-because you can manipulate the system to your advantage it's ok
    4- that mismatches are only about choices, I get if I relic ewok instead of sith empire I'm in trouble, that's different than if my opponent has a full relic 7 sith empire and I haven't unlocked Revan yet and everything else is equal.

1. OP does have a chance - yet he complains.
    2. OP does understand the MM system. However, he failed to accept that the gearing/relicing choices he made while aware of the MM system hurt his chances of winning. (he may have realized that this is what happened but he still fails to accept it).
    3. That's not what makes the system ok, but yes, the way you develop your roster affects your chances of winning, and that's OK.
    4. If everything else is equal, those two rosters won't be matched, since that full R7 SE team will be part of the top-X characters. OP's case is in the "relicing ewok instead of Sith empire" category - only not that extreme.
    I think more divisions would help, other possible ways to improve mm are basing it off teams you'll use and adjusting galactic power ratings. I personally think leadership zetas should add more gp than regular zetas and relics don't add enough gp.

If relics would add even more GP then it would hurt you even more to relic NON-META characters (or less GA-viable characters). That won't help OP.
    Yes, splitting div. 1 in two could help, but I doubt it will help as much as some of the complainers hope.

• 4. If everything else is equal, those two rosters won't be matched, since that full R7 SE team will be part of the top-X characters. OP's case is in the "relicing ewok instead of Sith empire" category - only not that extreme.

https://swgoh.gg/p/447269618/gac-history/?gac=24&r=3
    https://swgoh.gg/p/132267218/characters/

I may have used an extreme example but I ask how I could have developed my roster to defeat my last opponent. I realize I could have made better choices both during match, and on my relics but I believe I would be hard pressed to have counters for Gas, Malak and GG and still have viable def. Most if not all my zetas and gear 12 characters that I don't (would perfer not to) use in gac were done before gac.
    Please note I did not have a reliced Vader and I believe my opponents 5s was only relic 3.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Can’t believe you’re still living on the forums when we all called it a day last night... don’t you have anything better to do.

You don’t actually have to have the last word. You could move on by... you know... moving on.
  • I'm looking forward to the time when OP finally gets that his comments are up to debate and this thread can finally go away
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Can’t believe you’re still living on the forums when we all called it a day last night... don’t you have anything better to do.

You don’t actually have to have the last word. You could move on by... you know... moving on.

Neither do the other guys....
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I'm looking forward to the time when OP finally gets that his comments are up to debate and this thread can finally go away

August
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    4. If everything else is equal, those two rosters won't be matched, since that full R7 SE team will be part of the top-X characters. OP's case is in the "relicing ewok instead of Sith empire" category - only not that extreme.

I may have used an extreme example but I ask how I could have developed my roster to defeat my last opponent. I realize I could have made better choices both during match, and on my relics but I believe I would be hard pressed to have counters for Gas, Malak and GG and still have viable def. Most if not all my zetas and gear 12 characters that I don't (would perfer not to) use in gac were done before gac.
    Please note I did not have a reliced Vader and I believe my opponents 5s was only relic 3.

I see you quoted me, but I don't see the relation between what you quoted and your own comment. Please elaborate if you want a more thorough response than this:

If you have trouble beating GAS teams either don't put your counters on defense or spend your resources building another GAS counter (instead of taking Sabine to g12 w. zeta, taking BH to R4 and such). Also try building more complete teams (your g12 GG is not much good without g13 and the support of separatists, your clones are mediocre at best without Shaak Ti or GAS to lead them etc.).

Your opponent built a much stronger roster for GAC and deserves the win.
  • Vi1teran_
    218 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

I see you quoted me, but I don't see the relation between what you quoted and your own comment. Please elaborate if you want a more thorough response than this:

If you have trouble beating GAS teams either don't put your counters on defense or spend your resources building another GAS counter (instead of taking Sabine to g12 w. zeta, taking BH to R4 and such). Also try building more complete teams (your g12 GG is not much good without g13 and the support of separatists, your clones are mediocre at best without Shaak Ti or GAS to lead them etc.).

Your opponent built a much stronger roster for GAC and deserves the win.

I quoted you because you suggested extreme relic discrepancies don't happen.

I understand the deficiencies in my own roster and I'm moving towards fixing them Sabine and GG were gear 12 before gac existed, I'm farming separatist droids. Shaak Ti is my next farm in fleet.

My question is what relic 4 teams can defeat a relic 7 gas and relic 7 malak? From my view point this lose is more about them being 2 metas ahead of me than my past choices.

I 100% agree they have a better team and deserve to win. I'm not sure how good that is for the game as whole. I figure I'm 3-4 months from competing with that team but I'll probably hit division 1 by then. Does that mean I may never recover from choices I made a year ago?
    That's my first time facing a gas team in gac but I see everyone in my grouping this time has them. Maybe if I hadn't won all 3 matches first round I'd have easier matches up now.
  • Vi1teran_ wrote: »
    My question is what relic 4 teams can defeat a relic 7 gas and relic 7 malak?

R4 Padme can beat both teams. R3 DR, g12 SithEmpireTrooper, r3 basti, r3 hk47 and r3 Marauder can easily beat a r7 DR team if your Basti is faster. If you have Malak (I didn't unfortunately) then speeds won't matter much at all for the DR team.
  • Vi1teran_
    218 posts Member
    My question is what relic 4 teams can defeat a relic 7 gas and relic 7 malak?

R4 Padme can beat both teams. R3 DR, g12 SithEmpireTrooper, r3 basti, r3 hk47 and r3 Marauder can easily beat a r7 DR team if your Basti is faster. If you have Malak (I didn't unfortunately) then speeds won't matter much at all for the DR team.

Thanks. Guess Padme is my next relic.