Galactic War Help

Prev1
Old_Ben12345
399 posts Member
edited July 2020
Hi I’m level 80, and I’ve only completed Galactic war 9 times, after almost 2.5 months of playing. I try to save my best separatists (Magnaguard, Dooku, Asajj) for the end, and put in my mish-mash geonosians under nute for some of the early battles, and do some of the easier ones with my waiting Padme team of JKA, Snips, Fives, GMY. Neither of these garbage teams last very long, and I’m stuck having my magnaguard’s health be eaten away so by the time the last battle comes around, he’s already dead, along with some others. Once I get B2 7*, I will unlock GBA, so that should help with a lot of things.
Any advice? I really want to be able to sim it.
https://swgoh.gg/p/252191742/

Replies

• DarkLord12345
    15 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    I am level 78, so you are ahead of me in terms of level, and your roster is better than mine. However, I have 53 GW wins. I haven't been farming Seps, but in your roster, I see that you have 4 Jedi that I use that have been great - Bastila, Ahsoka, Anakin, and GMY. If you take some time to farm up Bastila, her lead gives a lot of bonus protection and I barely ever lose GW with my Jedi. I am kind of a noob, so my advice may not be the best, and I don't really know how the GW matchmaking works. But, my jedi under Bastila lead are almost unassailable. I get Bastila to give her buffs to Yoda, spread them around, and the battle is basically over.

Link to my roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/974353385/characters/
  • Use your best team in the first and easiest node, use only basics and back out if anything bad happens. This loads turn meter on that team and perhaps reduces cooldowns. Node 2 use your other squad. Nodes 3 6 9 and 12 are the hardest, save your A team for the last of those possible.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Here are two basic strategies you can beat these nodes easily. Notice that they contradict each other, so choose one.
    1. (the one I think is ten times better especially if you're using a TM control team) After each galactic war encounter, not only are your HP, Protection, and cooldowns saved to the next encounter; turn meter is saved too. In usual cases (for example arena), all characters start with 0 TM. However, in battles with multiple encounters (Light&Dark side battles, mod battles, most events, and GW), the TM you end with is saved with your next encounter. For example, if you manage to have Dooku end the second last encounter with 80% TM, he will start the final encounter with 80% TM (basically an extra turn) and stun whoever you want. I liked using this tactics with Nute, BSF, Dooku, and any other decent support. The enemy usually doesn't even get to take a turn.
    2. (I hate this one because it gives the enemy the massive TM advantage, but some people says it works) Prepare a trash squad for the last node and throw them in to waste the enemy special abilities. While it might waste enemy specials and possibly make things easier for your main squad, the pre-loaded TM advantage, which I said is extremely important (without it GW won't be possible), is now given to the enemy.
  • @Desertfox1024 @DaarthBrewer @DarkLord12345
    Thanks for the tips, they actually really help.
    DarkLord, I leveled up Bastila's leader ability some more, and that jedi team carried me through the first 3/4 of the galactic war today. I never thought to use her since she's gear 6, but that leader is all I needed. Once yoda passes her buffs to everyone else, its game set match. I beat galactic war for the first time in a while today, thanks to the jedi. I used my seppies to clean up the last few matches.
    DarkLord, I leveled up Bastila's leader ability some more, and that jedi team carried me through the first 3/4 of the galactic war today. I never thought to use her since she's gear 6, but that leader is all I needed. Once yoda passes her buffs to everyone else, its game set match. I beat galactic war for the first time in a while today, thanks to the jedi. I used my seppies to clean up the last few matches.
    Nice to know it helped!

I would keep gearing bastilla. She's the best Jedi lead for a while. And keep farming her. Eventually her and others can get you JKR
  • Yes, keep after Bastilla, there's still times I use her lead over JKRs.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • 5x gear7 Geonosians can beat GW every day with Brood Alpha as the leader.

Bastila is also amazing since her bonus protection regenerates at the beginning of every fight, no matter how much you lost last time.

Brood Alpha doesn't have to be 7-stars. A 3-star BroodAlpha at g7 should be enough with the Geos you have now.

That's fifty shards and some mostly-junk gear and you reach glory.

Battle is almost as easy, but Brood Alpha is a Cantina farm, so you can get the 50 shards there much more quickly than you can get the couple-hundred you need for Bastila.

See, Bastila's bonus protection is based off her health, so you either need to give her a bunch of gear or get her up to 6-stars or so, maybe 5, before a low-gear Bastila is generating enough bonus protection for your high-level battles on nodes 9, 11, and 12. Brood Alpha, though, just gives +15,000 health to every Geonosian, then creates a shard health pool via equalization at the beginning of every enemy turn. Even level 1/gear 1 Genosians have a minimum of 15k health under BA.

For that reason, I think BA is the quicker way to accomplish your goal. That doesn't mean it's the better way, though. If you want to focus on jedi, Bastila is the way to go - as everyone else has already said.
  • Brood Alpha doesn't have to be 7-stars. A 3-star BroodAlpha at g7 should be enough with the Geos you have now.

This is wrong. GBA unlocks at 4 stars (80 shards), not 50. He's also a 16 energy cantina farm. This is a brutal farm, even with refreshes. It will take a month+ to unlock it.
    Once I get B2 7*, I will unlock GBA, so that should help with a lot of things.

Despite the long time it takes to farm GBA, he's useful in GAC too, so I recommend you start farming him right away if you can get access to it (don't remember the level required). You should farm B2 in the guild store with guild tokens instead.
  • I forgot to say, your main issue is your squads are all over the place. Yea they all have the separatist tag but they don't synergize as well as they can. This website shows you common squads you'll see: https://swgohcounters.com/

Your IG-100 is getting wrecked because you don't have a character to dish out a lot of damage. Your squad is all about control without healing. That's a losing battle in GW. GW is all about attrition. I personally think you should start farming for Jango Fett. He has the separatist tag and he hits like a truck. His hard node farm also gives you HT, a good ship.

Here are the squads you do have and what you can do to fix them: General Grievious, IG-100, B2 (run this with 2 other droids instead)

4 Genonosians without GBA are pointless (get GBA)

Low gear/star ewoks (I wouldnt bother with them anymore for a while)

Run these Jedi: Bastila, Jolee, GMY, JKA, Ahsoka Tano

• Also, get in a good guild if you haven't already.
  • @CrownedPrince thanks for the advice.Right now, my jedi, even with the low gear, can clear the whole galactic war, minus the last one or two battles which my separatists can do easily.
    My roster may seem all over the place, but my seppies are actually better than you think. Ventress does the damage, as well as Dooku. This team is mainly just for getting Padme. B2 is super valuable for her event because he constantly is taking away their bonus protection. My random gets are for my ships, but mostly for when I get GBA. I can't get to his battle yet, I'm not high enough level I think.
    For galactic war my team isn't great, but my jedi help a lot right now, and when i get my geos up and running, they can carry it.
  • Im not focusing on jedi right now, just using them for galactic war with the gear and stars they already have. (although I am gearing JKA, snips, and yoda for when i get padme)
    also im in a great guild called malevolence omega padawans
  • MasterSeedy
    4992 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    @CrownedPrince is correct about one thing:
    This is wrong. GBA unlocks at 4 stars (80 shards), not 50. He's also a 16 energy cantina farm. This is a brutal farm, even with refreshes. It will take a month+ to unlock it.

I did misremember the number of stars GBA requires for unlock. Other than that, though, it's not a brutal farm. Cantina farms are never brutal farms, not even at 16 energy.

Cost analysis:
    Even with no refreshes, you get 10 attempts / day (165 cantina energy per day @ 16 energy). That's 2x what you get from hard nodes with no refreshes. Buying more energy is 100 instead of 50, but not only do you not need to pay the node refresh cost, but the node refresh cost increases dramatically. That first refresh on a hard node might cost 43-crystals worth of extra energy and only 25 for the node refresh (68 total) which is a savings, but it also only gets you 5 more attempts.

The 100 energy refresh for GBA gives you 7.5 more attempts instead of 5. If you notice, that's 1/2 again what you get from hard nodes. And look! 68 + 1/2 of 68 = 102. So the price for that first refresh is right on target.

The price for the 2nd refresh though means a cost of 93 for the hard node's 5 more attempts, while the Cantina node gives you 7.5 more for 100.

If you're following along at home, that means 50% more attempts for 7.5% more crystals.

Cantina farms are ALWAYS easier.

Also, it won't take more than a month to unlock. The drop rates have never been confirmed by CG, but they're obviously around 3/10 or 1/3 (30% to 33.33%). At the low end of that range (3/10) and knowing that 165 free energy per day gets you 10 attempts per day, it's easy to see that you should expect to average 3 shards/day (or a tiny bit more if the drop rate is really 1/3) over the long term.

3 per day means 27 days to unlock. That's less than a month even during February. Your first 100 crystals/ day mean an extra 2.5 shards per day.

5.5 shards per day = 15 days to unlock. That's far from brutal.

Don't be afraid. Get yourself some Brood Alpha.

• 5.5 shards per day = 15 days to unlock. That's far from brutal.

Thanks for the full rundown. I'm very excited to get GBA, since that will let me plow through galactic war, and climb in squad arena while I get my paddle team started up. It's nice to know that even though the energy cost and price of refreshes are higher, its still a good deal to buy cantina refreshes.
  • Hi I’m level 80, and I’ve only completed Galactic war 9 times, after almost 2.5 months of playing. I try to save my best separatists (Magnaguard, Dooku, Asajj) for the end, and put in my mish-mash geonosians under nute for some of the early battles, and do some of the easier ones with my waiting Padme team of JKA, Snips, Fives, GMY. Neither of these garbage teams last very long, and I’m stuck having my magnaguard’s health be eaten away so by the time the last battle comes around, he’s already dead, along with some others. Once I get B2 7*, I will unlock GBA, so that should help with a lot of things.
    Any advice? I really want to be able to sim it.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/252191742/

You need to be Level 85 and 50 wins to sim, so it is a slog but worth it. My alt used Geos with a basic Brood Alpha lead, modded and geared up to level 7. Easy win everytime.
  • @CrownedPrince is correct about one thing:

I did misremember the number of stars GBA requires for unlock. Other than that, though, it's not a brutal farm. Cantina farms are never brutal farms, not even at 16 energy.

Cost analysis:
    Even with no refreshes, you get 10 attempts / day (165 cantina energy per day @ 16 energy). That's 2x what you get from hard nodes with no refreshes. Buying more energy is 100 instead of 50, but not only do you not need to pay the node refresh cost, but the node refresh cost increases dramatically. That first refresh on a hard node might cost 43-crystals worth of extra energy and only 25 for the node refresh (68 total) which is a savings, but it also only gets you 5 more attempts.

The 100 energy refresh for GBA gives you 7.5 more attempts instead of 5. If you notice, that's 1/2 again what you get from hard nodes. And look! 68 + 1/2 of 68 = 102. So the price for that first refresh is right on target.

The price for the 2nd refresh though means a cost of 93 for the hard node's 5 more attempts, while the Cantina node gives you 7.5 more for 100.

If you're following along at home, that means 50% more attempts for 7.5% more crystals.

Cantina farms are ALWAYS easier.

Also, it won't take more than a month to unlock. The drop rates have never been confirmed by CG, but they're obviously around 3/10 or 1/3 (30% to 33.33%). At the low end of that range (3/10) and knowing that 165 free energy per day gets you 10 attempts per day, it's easy to see that you should expect to average 3 shards/day (or a tiny bit more if the drop rate is really 1/3) over the long term.

3 per day means 27 days to unlock. That's less than a month even during February. Your first 100 crystals/ day mean an extra 2.5 shards per day.

5.5 shards per day = 15 days to unlock. That's far from brutal.

Your math makes me happy. Thank RNG I'm not the only one who does this.
  • Bastilla lead
  • @ir21tiny

Bastila has been mentioned. As has Brood Alpha. The OP is probably good now.
  • I'm at level 71 with 38 GW wins, and I'm always able to just steamroll it with a Phoenix team. I've never had to 'give up' on a GW and reset early because those guys always pull through. Idk how the game decides which teams to pit you against, but it so far hasn't thrown anything at me that I couldn't handle.
  • I'm at level 71 with 38 GW wins, and I'm always able to just steamroll it with a Phoenix team. I've never had to 'give up' on a GW and reset early because those guys always pull through. Idk how the game decides which teams to pit you against, but it so far hasn't thrown anything at me that I couldn't handle.

Same here. I went Phoenix on my alt. At level 56 there are only like two days I haven't cleared it. And that as due to having my daughter play so that doesn't really count since it was still clearable.

The key is to avoid gearing toons that aren't good and to use a team with protection regen and healing.

Without a way to regain health and protection, even good teams get worn down after 11 battles.
  • There's one way to avoid getting worn down after 11 battles without GBA/ Phoenix/ healers/ Bastila lead. Taking 0 damage in each battle. So either:
    a) get yourself a team with high damage output, while the tank can constantly regenerate and keep the taunt on at all times. For example a FO team with KRU and Sith trooper and easier tear down all GW battles.
    b) go for a heavy TM control team, so no one gets to take a turn before you kill them all. For example Dooku and BSF with Nute or another decent support can do the work. You need good speed mods though
  • There's one way to avoid getting worn down after 11 battles without GBA/ Phoenix/ healers/ Bastila lead. Taking 0 damage in each battle. So either:
    a) get yourself a team with high damage output, while the tank can constantly regenerate and keep the taunt on at all times. For example a FO team with KRU and Sith trooper and easier tear down all GW battles.
    b) go for a heavy TM control team, so no one gets to take a turn before you kill them all. For example Dooku and BSF with Nute or another decent support can do the work. You need good speed mods though

Good speed mods in early game are easier said than done.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    There's one way to avoid getting worn down after 11 battles without GBA/ Phoenix/ healers/ Bastila lead. Taking 0 damage in each battle. So either:

Depends on how you define "Good" speed mods.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    There's one way to avoid getting worn down after 11 battles without GBA/ Phoenix/ healers/ Bastila lead. Taking 0 damage in each battle. So either:

It does. But until you have five 5 star characters you can't even farm 5 dot mods so a lot of mod farming before that is a waste. Obviously you still need to use your energy to level but putting a lot into mods before that is a waste of time long term.

Much easier to build a decent Phoenix team that can regen enough to get through it gw that way.

Once you have 5 star toons and can farm 5 dot mods it still takes a lot of time and ring to get good mods (though a relative term I would think that secondaries in the high teens constitute good but not great speed mods).

I'm not sure what level of mods are required to get through without taking dmg at all with a control team. With preloaded tm it may be possible with less than that. But it may also scale with your mods.

Your example of a kru team that taunts and regens still relies on regen to get through. Without kru being able to regen, your tank gets weaker every battle and you eventually lose them. If you actually keep them from hitting you, then you don't need a tank.

With high potency and speed and ep empire team with vader and tarkin may be able to pull it off. The tm gain and mass stun may be able to keep them under control.

Though if you go empire Phoenix is needed for thrawn and gets you ep as a bonus so you'd have two teams that can get through so not all that helpful to those that go a different path.

By the time you have ep, you likely have multiple teams.
  • I started two accounts this year and here's what you need to take 0 damage with a control team. This is more than enough to do it reliably with the right strategy
    Separatist account: Nute (L) 218, Dooku 238, Badstilla 220, Sun Fac 166, Geo Spy 198. Dooku and Badstilla are the only ones needed, others don't matter. This is what I had at level 78, also the level where I finished all 50 GW. Maxed fear helps a lot, but it's not a must.
    Resistance/FO Account: Finn (L) 203, Scav Rey 238, Hero Finn 261, Hero Poe 239, Raid Han 230. This team storms right through everything even at 83, so I don't think mods this good are needed.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If your jedi can take the first 10 nodes in GW, then this could help your sparatists on the last 2 nodes:

@Old_Ben12345 I just checked your profile on swgoh.gg and it looks like you could have some instant improvements to your separatists:

You are level 80 but some of the separatists you're using trail at level 77, 75 and even 66. If you take them to level 80 those characters will have a higher chance to land their debuffs - both in GW and in all other game modes. Those debuffs are essential for your team.

You should also train their abilities some more. I know omegas are still scarce at your level (apply them where you benefit most, f.ex. on B2's Mow Down) but you should train your team's abilities all the way up before omegas. F.ex. Magnaguard could gain higher debuff chance on its basic and Asajj could reduce TM more with her special.

You can also improve your team through mods. Speed is essential for most characters (less so for B2 because of its unique). Several of your best speed mods are not equipped by your arena team:

https://swgoh.gg/p/252191742/mods/?sort=secondary_stat_5&sort_direction=desc

But ok, maybe your jedi need those good mods to get through the first 10 nodes.

Good luck in GW.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    a) get yourself a team with high damage output, ... [...]

It does.

26+ speed arrows and 10+ speed secondary mods could be considered good at level 80. You could argue otherwise as well. OP has 5 +30 speed arrows and a few 10+ speed secondary mods.
    But until you have five 5 star characters you can't even farm 5 dot mods so a lot of mod farming before that is a waste.

OP can farm 5 dot mods. Check his profile on swgoh.gg. He linked it in his OP.
  • you should level up your bastila and have a jedi secondary team for gw just in case, that should help
    no longer a f2p since i bought the hyperdrive bundle
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    you should level up your bastila and have a jedi secondary team for gw just in case, that should help

OP already does. He told us, he's using jedi for nodes 1 through 10 - then separatists.