What will I be getting for free?

Hi there. Very new player (only 5 days in), and I have a question.

Is there a list somewhere of what I'll end up getting for free in this game?

For example - I've just been playing along, did some sort of quests (or maybe it was an event, or maybe both), and the game gave me both the Tie Fighter Pilot and Resistance Pilot. Cool, I'll take free characters, only have 12 total. Apparently I also got the Jedi Consular's and Resistance Pilot's ships for free, too. Also cool, didn't have any ships before that.

In a similar vein, I haven't done anything special like farming or buying anything, just doing quests and events as they pop up (usually when I gain a level it seems). And currently, I've got 24 / 25 shards to get Leia, and 41 / 80 to get Darth Vader. Presumably, other things will pop up in the near future and I'll end up getting those two characters for free as well.

So my question is - is there a list somewhere of all of these kinds of things that are going to be gifted to me? For example - I did one quest or something, and it gave me 20 shards each for Mace Windu, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Admiral Akbar. Can I assume some other quest is going to be giving the other 60 shards I need for each of these folks? Is there some level that once I get there, that's it for this kind of thing? Again, a list of this kind of stuff would really help me out.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• You will definitely get Mace, Tarkin and Ackbar at 4 stars plus their ships at one stars. You will also get geo soldier and his ship and jedi consulars ship.

I forgot which other ones you get but I'll try and see what other ones.
  • If you are very patient, you will get everything for free. You do not have to spend money to have fun with this game.
    But if you want the things without waiting, well then that's when spending real money becomes a factor.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    If you are very patient, you will get everything for free. You do not have to spend money to have fun with this game.
    But if you want the things without waiting, well then that's when spending real money becomes a factor.

True but not relevant to the question posed.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    If you are very patient, you will get everything for free. You do not have to spend money to have fun with this game.

True but not relevant to the question posed.

Way to point out someone’s irrelevant post without contributing anything yourself.

Wait....
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    Unfortunately, I do not think there is a list. Perhaps you should keep track and make a list as you go along to help the others after you. Kind of makes me wish I did that.
  • Most of the stuff you get for free isn't all that good anyway.

Vader is the exception of course. You'll unlock him for free from achievements before you can get him out of the fleet shop but to 7 star him you are better off to farm him from the fleet shop since getting 7 star through achievements alone would take a long time.

The same goes for ackbar and tarkin. You get them at 4 star but have to farm the rest. So farming them is alright if you so choose. Most of the other pilots also only give you a 1 or 2 star character so you can farm them without much fear of getting a free 7 star character later.

Various events give shards of either random characters or random characters from a faction but waiting to get them that way is going to take awhile.

You are far better off to farm the characters you will need with energy or use tokens in the stores they are in.

For regular energy you'll want to start with a few of the following:

Jedi knight anakin
    Ashoka
    Bastilla
    Jolee

For cantina

Hera
    Ezra's
    Geo Solider
    Geo spy

For the cantina store

Chopper

For the arena store

Kanan

For the gw store

Zeb

The hard nodes can take awhile to unlock but once you get there you can 7 star a character in a few months or quicker if you refresh nodes. For new players I recommend using the energy refreshes and farming several nodes rather than refreshing one or two. It takes longer to get each character but in the end you'll have them.

As to why those characters, Phoenix are needed for ep and thrawn and are a good starter team for arena. Geos have good ships and are good once you have the whole team. Jka is good in a padme team (which you can use geos to get) and has a good ship. Bastilla and jolee are both good and needed for revan anyway.

Basically you want to farm characters that are either good long term or needed for toons that are. Check out the journey guide for legendary character requirements. Those are always good to farm.

I would avoid putting gear on many of the starting toons to the extent possible as it is a waste in most cases as once you farm other toons they have little use.

These include

Clone wars chewie
    Jedi counselor
    Clone sergeant
    Talia
    Royal guard

Royal guard is a pilot for a decent ship later on but it isn't needed and talia is decent in a few situations with ns but not that great.

Jedi counselor is only useful for ships until you can unlock some better ships so a complete waste after that.

Hope that helps

• While I agree mostly with DarkHelmet, if you are trying to do as much as possible F2P, then Geo Soldier and Geo Spy are both available from fleet currency thus freeing up the cantina grind a little. I'd do JK Anakin from Cantina instead helping with the long hard node farms. Do your dailies to get the crystals and use those for extra energy. You should be able to get one cantina eng and one normal eng refresh a day just based off the dailies. Lots of really good guides out there on how to farm what and when.
  • AM2Rainman wrote: »
    While I agree mostly with DarkHelmet, if you are trying to do as much as possible F2P, then Geo Soldier and Geo Spy are both available from fleet currency thus freeing up the cantina grind a little. I'd do JK Anakin from Cantina instead helping with the long hard node farms. Do your dailies to get the crystals and use those for extra energy. You should be able to get one cantina eng and one normal eng refresh a day just based off the dailies. Lots of really good guides out there on how to farm what and when.

Fair enough. Though I made sure to unlock geo Solider on cantina on my alt just to have enough ds characters that I could gear to do battles. And there are plenty of other things to farm in the arena store early to want to go ahead and unlock from cantina even if it puts hera and ezra's a little behind.

But hera and ezra's to 5 and then 7 star are the main early cantina farm focus.
    While I agree mostly with DarkHelmet, if you are trying to do as much as possible F2P, then Geo Soldier and Geo Spy are both available from fleet currency thus freeing up the cantina grind a little. I'd do JK Anakin from Cantina instead helping with the long hard node farms. Do your dailies to get the crystals and use those for extra energy. You should be able to get one cantina eng and one normal eng refresh a day just based off the dailies. Lots of really good guides out there on how to farm what and when.

Fair enough. Though I made sure to unlock geo Solider on cantina on my alt just to have enough ds characters that I could gear to do battles. And there are plenty of other things to farm in the arena store early to want to go ahead and unlock from cantina even if it puts hera and ezra's a little behind.

For sure. Kylo Ren Unmasked should be high on that cantina list too. Good character and a good ship.
    AM2Rainman wrote: »

For sure. Kylo Ren Unmasked should be high on that cantina list too. Good character and a good ship.

Yeah and needed for a GL now.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    As a general rule, none of the stuff that just gets handed to you is particularly good. TIE fighter pilot is decent in Palpatine squads, but the other stuff you mentioned is mostly mediocre.

Your best bet would be to locate one of the eighty hojillion farming guides out there and plan out what you want to build, and just take any freebies as a bonus.

The old-school way of doing it was to go for Phoenix Squad to get Palpatine and Thrawn, then move on to R2 and Commander Luke. These days I understand it's popular to go for a Geonosian team ASAP and use them to get Padme, which is also very viable and doesn't require you to level up as many "junk" characters.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• shoot ... if it were me starting again right now, I would go straight after First Order and Slick.

And telling the OP that everything is free given enough time is indeed a relevant response to the question posted. What will I be getting for free? Everything. QED
  • I don't know, maybe some of you guys don't quite remember back that far - when you only have three dark side characters, period, getting a fourth one because you got to level 20 and a quest gave it to you is a GIGANTIC FREAKING DEAL. It really does not matter how good or bad the character is. AT ALL. Any character is better than none. And it's kind of important to know if and when that 4th character will be coming. I really wish I had known that the Tie Fighter Pilot and Resistance Pilot were coming.

In fact, the advice is nice and all, but I can't even conceive of having a 5 star character at this point, much less a 7 star character. I'm not looking at what to do six months from now, I'm interested in what happens 6 days from now.

In any case, the answer seems to be no, there is not a guide about what new things you get, and when. Perhaps I'll start trying to record such things. I'm already 5 days and 37 levels in, so it won't be perfect, but maybe when it's decently compiled it will help someone else out.
  • if I recall correctly, you will not get very many "free" characters at the beginning. It has been a long time since I was at the beginning game, and you will not get anyone past level 60 I don't think. For the Darkside, you should only get a total of about 4 characters (Talia, Royal Guard, TIE Pilot, and Snowtrooper I think) and for lightside you will get more. It will really depend on who you decide to go after which characters you get. Darth Vader you will get for free as you progress and complete more achievements (if you don't know where that is it is in the Objectives tab, it is the 5th option at the bar at the top) but he will come later. Given your level, you will end up getting Ackbar, Windu, and Tarkin before you reach level 60. They will come from fleet training events or something like that. You will also unlock a few characters each of the Empire, Rebellion, Resistance, and FO (maybe Galactic Republic and Separatists but I don't think so) from some training events. I am not sure on the characters as I did not experience it myself, but they will be something. If you don't get them, they will at least get you started. I hope this helps, and if you want some suggestions on who to go after, then feel free to ask. Also, don't expect too much from the free characters, but they will give you a good start. And Vader is amazing :smile:
  • Leorinle wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe some of you guys don't quite remember back that far - when you only have three dark side characters, period, getting a fourth one because you got to level 20 and a quest gave it to you is a GIGANTIC FREAKING DEAL. It really does not matter how good or bad the character is. AT ALL. Any character is better than none. And it's kind of important to know if and when that 4th character will be coming. I really wish I had known that the Tie Fighter Pilot and Resistance Pilot were coming.

In fact, the advice is nice and all, but I can't even conceive of having a 5 star character at this point, much less a 7 star character. I'm not looking at what to do six months from now, I'm interested in what happens 6 days from now.

In any case, the answer seems to be no, there is not a guide about what new things you get, and when. Perhaps I'll start trying to record such things. I'm already 5 days and 37 levels in, so it won't be perfect, but maybe when it's decently compiled it will help someone else out.

I just started a new alt account about a month ago. So I do know where you're coming from with early game.

But honestly, you are much better off to avoid gearing bad characters for a few days until you can grind the 15 shards to unlock some that you'll actually use later.

Having a g7 or g8 clone wars chewie is a waste of gear that is actually hard to get early on and can potentially make gw harder for you for months.

If the ds battles are giving you trouble without gearing these characters, I suggest you check out the section of the forum to borrow an ally. If you add some strong allies you can 3 star the nodes pretty quickly with pretty low gear toons early on and use your effort to farm better toons and then gear those toons.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Leorinle wrote: »
    I'm not looking at what to do six months from now, I'm interested in what happens 6 days from now.

If you don't plan out your farms in advance, you're very likely to end up frustrated and confused. That's why people are telling you to farm teams you won't actually be able to use for a long time: that's just how you have to play if you want to progress.

Your point about not having a full team of dark side characters is well taken, though. It's easy to forget that you don't get many of them early on. You may want to farm Darth Sidious from the arena store; he's a weak character late game, but his lead doesn't require a specific faction and he does well enough early on to at least clear the missions. You'll get all the arena store characters eventually anyway, so it's not really a big deal to go after a "weak" one first.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• you should be able to get every character maxed except for chewpio and some other marquee characters. expect to play this game anywhere from 2-5 years to get #1 in arena, i think someone did it in 2 years.

ships will be very hard to advance to as a f2p
    no longer a f2p since i bought the hyperdrive bundle
  • you should be able to get every character maxed except for chewpio and some other marquee characters. expect to play this game anywhere from 2-5 years to get #1 in arena, i think someone did it in 2 years.

ships will be very hard to advance to as a f2p

That's not how it works. It does not take any years to reach #1 in squad arena; there are players that reach rank #1 on their first day in arena. #1 in squad arena does not mean #1 in the whole world. The player base is broken up into many, many different squad arenas. When you first qualify for SA your account gets placed into an arena pool along with a bunch of other new accounts. When the arena is full, another arena is created and it is filled as players join. Every arena has its own ranks, and every arena has SOMEBODY that reaches rank #1 the first day that arena is created (and every day thereafter as well).