24993 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Laugh at the .... PT all you want

Thanks, I think I will.

The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    I don’t agree with the voices, but obviously the CGI looks bad. Jar Jar was one of the first CGI characters. I’m pretty sure this movie came out before Avatar, which was “technological genius” or whatever.

I did a ten page paper in high school about how the prequels are good (mostly jokey, but there was some legit info). People didn’t like the CGI because it was new. It hadn’t been perfected yet. But what’s impressive is all the stuff that they could do with it. They took a leap and tried something new, and I applaud them for it.

sorry, what I meant was not that the cgi was bad per se, for example the space stuff was great, and I don't think jarjar for example looked real fake or anything, it was more how it looked overall. like, the scenes where they are flying over the sand dunes just looks like it's on a set. the lighting doesn't seem to change so it looks phony overall imo.

wait, cgi yoda was real bad lol, but overall I meant looking fake, not bad cgi, if you get my distinction
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Thanks, I think I will.

None of us would be here without the PT, period.

We’d be playing MSF or some Dragon game

That's an odd take.

Regardless, the PT are terribly made movies.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

Thanks, I think I will.

None of us would be here without the PT, period.

We’d be playing MSF or some Dragon game

That's an odd take.

Regardless, the PT are terribly made movies.

Honestly, all movies are bad movies. All books are bad books. Live life. Life is good.
  • Jurassic Park CGI was awesome. Sooooo goooood! Great story, great effects, great film, kudos all around. Still one of my favorites and anybody who says otherwise spends their days hanging around outside the wrong cantinas.
    giphy.gif
    c212ede238de860a2ab36288d9271293.gif
    giphy.gif
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I mean, the ST is far superior to the PT, I think we can agree on that at least

No, that's a bad joke.

I'm not a fan of racist voices and terrible cgi/lighting.

Racist voices? So every Alien should sound like a white American male? Because that in itself isn't racist or diverse is it? lol

I liked the CGI look to the PT, everything looked clean and different, before hostile take over and a tyrannical evil Empire controlling the galaxy - it gave the trilogy and that era its own "feel" that stood out.

Lucas also wanted to show the vastness and diverse Galaxy before the dark contrictive times of the OT, which was almost impossible to do without CGI.

ST went back to old school, small locations and set design, and minimal populations etc. There was no real need to show off a Galaxy already shown to a great extent - but then we get the Rabbit Horses in TLJ - worse than anything the PT did on a CGI level.

Lol

You completely missed why the voices are racist. Go back and actually watch the movies and then use a tiny amount of critical thinking to evaluate the interaction between the characters and their voices

Seen the movies hundreds of times - don't see what you are so triggered about.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member
    Jurassic Park CGI was awesome. Sooooo goooood! Great story, great effects, great film, kudos all around. Still one of my favorites and anybody who says otherwise spends their days hanging around outside the wrong cantinas.
    giphy.gif
    c212ede238de860a2ab36288d9271293.gif
    giphy.gif

I love Sam Niel on Goldblum! - brilliant lol
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Racist voices? So every Alien should sound like a white American male? Because that in itself isn't racist or diverse is it? lol

I liked the CGI look to the PT, everything looked clean and different, before hostile take over and a tyrannical evil Empire controlling the galaxy - it gave the trilogy and that era its own "feel" that stood out.

Lucas also wanted to show the vastness and diverse Galaxy before the dark contrictive times of the OT, which was almost impossible to do without CGI.

ST went back to old school, small locations and set design, and minimal populations etc. There was no real need to show off a Galaxy already shown to a great extent - but then we get the Rabbit Horses in TLJ - worse than anything the PT did on a CGI level.

Lol

You completely missed why the voices are racist. Go back and actually watch the movies and then use a tiny amount of critical thinking to evaluate the interaction between the characters and their voices

And that’s the problem.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

That's just it, no problem unless you look for something to complain about.

Unlike the ST, lol.
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member
    I don’t agree with the voices, but obviously the CGI looks bad. Jar Jar was one of the first CGI characters. I’m pretty sure this movie came out before Avatar, which was “technological genius” or whatever.

I did a ten page paper in high school about how the prequels are good (mostly jokey, but there was some legit info). People didn’t like the CGI because it was new. It hadn’t been perfected yet. But what’s impressive is all the stuff that they could do with it. They took a leap and tried something new, and I applaud them for it.

sorry, what I meant was not that the cgi was bad per se, for example the space stuff was great, and I don't think jarjar for example looked real fake or anything, it was more how it looked overall. like, the scenes where they are flying over the sand dunes just looks like it's on a set. the lighting doesn't seem to change so it looks phony overall imo.

wait, cgi yoda was real bad lol, but overall I meant looking fake, not bad cgi, if you get my distinction

Some of that stuff was the first time that technology was used. Some of it was the 2nd time after the raiders of the lost ark movies. As technology advances, things improve and usually the first iteration of something is obviously unpolished and imperfect.

disagree, because the effects in the first one looked way better than later. the pod racing scenes looked pretty goof iirc, compared to the naboo/finale stuff. They had the technology, it was just terrible execution of the lighting
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member

Some of that stuff was the first time that technology was used. Some of it was the 2nd time after the raiders of the lost ark movies. As technology advances, things improve and usually the first iteration of something is obviously unpolished and imperfect.

disagree, because the effects in the first one looked way better than later. the pod racing scenes looked pretty goof iirc, compared to the naboo/finale stuff. They had the technology, it was just terrible execution of the lighting

Some effects used in the PT weren’t available for the OT. I think most people agree, a lot of that was not used in the best way. CGI can be employed horribly and it’s cool shows like the Mandalorian are using it more sparingly and executing it better.

I meant first PT vs second/last PT, not OT v PT. tbh I don't remember what we were even discussing itt bc they all get bumped whenever boo comes around and it's hard to keep track lol
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

OT "problems" are minor - Like Ewoks, or Leia's dress on Endor etc - they are not gaping plot holes that literally destroy the franchise and prior characters etc.
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member
    Oh it’s Boo day, yay!

I somehow missed this post until now.
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member
    literally destroy the franchise and prior characters etc.

Hahaha
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

OT "problems" are minor - Like Ewoks, or Leia's dress on Endor etc - they are not gaping plot holes that literally destroy the franchise and prior characters etc.

We were talking about the prequels.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

Although there are some inconsistencies between the PT and what was already established in the OT, again nothing was damaging in a major way.
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

Although there are some inconsistencies between the PT and what was already established in the OT, again nothing was damaging in a major way.

except how everything looked awful and I could practically see the greenscreens somehow. space battles were dope tho. Star Wars needs moar space battles
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

except how everything looked awful and I could practically see the greenscreens somehow. space battles were dope tho. Star Wars needs moar space battles

Just as the OT was groundbreaking in its effects in its time, so were the PT. Lucas was doing things never done before creating a vibrant galaxy through the use of digital tech. Sure it looks a bit dated now, but I personally like the feel of the PT - everything felt new, clean - it really showed it was a different era of the star wars galaxy.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

We were talking about the prequels containing some racially offensive caricatures. But yes, I think it’s clear that the prequels, regardless of any other criticisms, enhanced the story of the original trilogy. I don’t care how many mothers Leia claimed she saw, it’s not a big problem for me.
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member

No, that's a bad joke.

Lol

And that’s the problem.

Unlike the ST, lol.

It’s a problem. Period.

Just as the OT was groundbreaking in its effects in its time, so were the PT. Lucas was doing things never done before creating a vibrant galaxy through the use of digital tech. Sure it looks a bit dated now, but I personally like the feel of the PT - everything felt new, clean - it really showed it was a different era of the star wars galaxy.

What? The effects got worse in subsequent movies. Look at the pod races vs yoda and keno I flying over the desert
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member
    At least TPM looked like a movie (due to more practical effects and still shooting on film). The last two looked new and clean because they looked like video games.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member
    At least TPM looked like a movie (due to more practical effects and still shooting on film). The last two looked new and clean because they looked like video games.

I didn't think the puppets and alien costumes etc were as good as the OT. Also looking back on the podrace, yes the race is good, but all the drivers look terrible - especially the CGI ones.

That is one of the things I do praise the ST for is its use of puppets and costume design etc - very well done.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    Star Wars movies have always looked fabulous (save for some of that weird CGI) and hopefully that continues forever.