Does anyone like the ST?

1235Next

Replies

• TVF
    24993 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    Star Wars movies have always looked fabulous (save for some of that weird CGI) and hopefully that continues forever.

Hard disagree on AOTC and ROTS, which look like video games in many places. Especially AOTC, which looks like a particularly terrible video game in many places.
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    edited July 21
    TVF wrote: »
    Star Wars movies have always looked fabulous (save for some of that weird CGI) and hopefully that continues forever.

Hard disagree on AOTC and ROTS, which look like video games in many places. Especially AOTC, which looks like a particularly terrible video game in many places.

I didn’t know that video games look bad to you. They have some of the best visuals.
  • Gifafi
    4898 posts Member
    yeah video games look way better than the second two pt
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member

I didn’t know that video games look bad to you. They have some of the best visuals.

I never said video games look bad. But they look like video games, not movies.

If you think video games look as good as movies, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe watch better movies.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    edited July 22

If you think video games look as good as movies, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe watch better movies.

Video games are animated, the movies in question are not. Video games can look as good as movies; but they obviously won’t look real, as no one is filming every second of it.

I’m pretty sure the prequel trilogy would have been near impossible to make without that technology anyway.

Fixed: Now other people can have the liberty of not getting caught up on one line and actually look at the information. Definition of every modern American movement.
    Post edited by Nihion on
  • Nihion wrote: »

Ok boomer.

Video games are animated, the movies in question are not. Video games can look as good as movies; but they obviously won’t look real, as no one is filming every second of it.

I’m pretty sure the prequel trilogy would have been near impossible to make without that technology anyway.

Want to tell everyone to ignore everything you say because it’s not worth reading? Write ‘ok boomer’.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

Ok boomer.

Want to tell everyone to ignore everything you say because it’s not worth reading? Write ‘ok boomer’.

Want to try to make a point by referencing a bad joke on the internet? Learn from my mistake, clearly the internet doesn’t have a sarcastic detector yet.
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member
    lol the old "i was being sarcastic" backpedal.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member

I’m offended that you actually thought I was calling you a “boomer.”

Now I’m no longer reading anything you’ve written, like a responsible information seeker.

In all seriousness, I have seen good movies, some of the best movies, and I still think that some video games reach that level of artistic beauty. It may come down to a generational difference, as I grew up in this technological era and you may not have, but most likely it’s that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
  • TVF
    24993 posts Member

I’m offended that you actually thought I was calling you a “boomer.”

Technically I'm Gen-X, but I'm a hip and cool Gen-X.

SaltyNeighboringAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif
  • Edison
    153 posts Member
    I saw this thread pop up yesterday and decided to give The Rise of Skywalker a second viewing last night to get a gauge of my feelings. I saw it in theaters on opening night, and walked away from it sort of.... satisfied enough, I didn't need to watch it again.

On a second viewing though - I actually really enjoyed it, and overall enjoyed the ST as much as I enjoyed the PT and OT. I consider myself a big fan of Star Wars, and really anything that takes me on a journey.

That being said, there are of course elements in all of the movies that I sort of groaned at, or wish they'd have done differently.

I won't spend a lot of time defending them, as everyone is entitled to their opinions and none are wrong. But I'll give a comparison to Game of Thrones. It was another series that took me on a journey and had a lot of ups and downs.

I had to evaluate what sat poorly with me regarding the final season of GoT. At the end of the day, I thought they told their story exceptionally well... but I did not like the story they ended up telling. That's a big distinction that I try to process when I'm watching something for entertainment.

As an example, the Holdo maneuver from a logical and story perspective I thought was weak. From how they told that story though, visually it was one of the greatest moments I've ever sat in a theater and witnessed.

Do I think it's logical for Kylo/Rey to be able to pass items through space using the force, IE sharing a lightsaber? No I think it's kind of a lame concept that brings up a lot of follow up questions. BUT visually, watching their fight take place between two locations and having elements phase between them? That was some seriously cool stuff to watch.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    That’s a really good analysis. I, too, find the space trade odd, but visually fantastic. The Last Jedi never sit right with me, but the filmmaking and storytelling intrigue me. It’s like a beautiful puzzle piece that just doesn’t fit anywhere.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member
    Edison wrote: »
    I saw this thread pop up yesterday and decided to give The Rise of Skywalker a second viewing last night to get a gauge of my feelings. I saw it in theaters on opening night, and walked away from it sort of.... satisfied enough, I didn't need to watch it again.

On a second viewing though - I actually really enjoyed it, and overall enjoyed the ST as much as I enjoyed the PT and OT. I consider myself a big fan of Star Wars, and really anything that takes me on a journey.

That being said, there are of course elements in all of the movies that I sort of groaned at, or wish they'd have done differently.

I won't spend a lot of time defending them, as everyone is entitled to their opinions and none are wrong. But I'll give a comparison to Game of Thrones. It was another series that took me on a journey and had a lot of ups and downs.

I had to evaluate what sat poorly with me regarding the final season of GoT. At the end of the day, I thought they told their story exceptionally well... but I did not like the story they ended up telling. That's a big distinction that I try to process when I'm watching something for entertainment.

As an example, the Holdo maneuver from a logical and story perspective I thought was weak. From how they told that story though, visually it was one of the greatest moments I've ever sat in a theater and witnessed.

Do I think it's logical for Kylo/Rey to be able to pass items through space using the force, IE sharing a lightsaber? No I think it's kind of a lame concept that brings up a lot of follow up questions. BUT visually, watching their fight take place between two locations and having elements phase between them? That was some seriously cool stuff to watch.

I actually liked that stuff about the Reylo force bond, passing items and even having a lightsaber duel from 2 separate locations - it was something daring and new that we hadn't seen from the force and for me it worked well.

However there was too much "other stuff" that not only didn't work, it literally destroyed the story telling of all prior movies and character archs, which is why, for me, the sequel trilogy and particularly TROS was such a failure.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    That’s a really good analysis. I, too, find the space trade odd, but visually fantastic. The Last Jedi never sit right with me, but the filmmaking and storytelling intrigue me. It’s like a beautiful puzzle piece that just doesn’t fit anywhere.
    This.
    I have always felt TLJ and ROS would have been good movies individually, great storyline, but never really fit in and made sense as Star Wars movies. I was thinking about John Boyega's GQ interview that happened the other day and how Finn had so much promise in TFA and was completely thrown aside. TFA was a solid movie that felt like Star Wars, and the next two weren't.

• Finn should have died in TFA
  • TLJ is one of my favorite movie. I was on the edge on my seat all along because I couldn't guess what would happen and it was a blast. I liked Rey and Rose, they brought something very refreshing. ROS... not so much. it was nice and entertaining, but I really liked the "Force could be everywhere, even among beggars" story that was told in TLJ and underlined with the final shot (and that was fine with lore, because midichlorians work in mysterious ways) and was kinda disappointed when they brought back nobility for the final chapter. This story was already told, i wanted a new one. Oh well, good enough.
  • DatBoi
    3581 posts Member
    I mostly enjoy The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Rise of Skywalker is a joke.
  • Boo
    4106 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Finn should have died in TFA

At least he should have died in TLJ, sacrificing himself to save the others, but no. Rose got in the way.