George Lucas hates the new trilogy?

Replies

• Stenun
    851 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Ok... his initial opinions may not always be right. But, with research and constructive criticism, he usually makes the right choice. Can we agree on that?

No.
    Because that implies that there is a "right choice" in matters of opinion.
    But there isn't.

Different people are allowed to like different things. There is no "fact" as to matters of taste or personal preference.
    Some people like Coca-Cola, some people prefer Pepsi; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like Sean Connery as James Bond, some people prefer Pierce Brosnan; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like the original The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty with Danny Kaye, some people prefer the remake withe Ben Stiller; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like chocolate chip ice cream but every once in a while, someone will walk in off the street and order pistachio.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    Ok... his initial opinions may not always be right. But, with research and constructive criticism, he usually makes the right choice. Can we agree on that?

No.
    Because that implies that there is a "right choice" in matters of opinion.
    But there isn't.

Different people are allowed to like different things. There is no "fact" as to matters of taste or personal preference.
    Some people like Coca-Cola, some people prefer Pepsi; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like Sean Connery as James Bond, some people prefer Pierce Brosnan; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like the original The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty with Danny Kaye, some people prefer the remake withe Ben Stiller; there is no "right choice", it's personal opinion.
    Some people like chocolate chip ice cream but every once in a while, someone will walk in off the street and order pistachio.

Well then, in your world everything is ok, and nothing can be wrong.

So my opinion is as good as yours, and this is a draw.

Good talk.

P.S. coke is better.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member

There is a difference between opinion and fact.
    Whether someone likes something or not is a matter of opinion.
    The mere fact that you chose Coca-Cola proves that because if it was "fact" that Coca-Cola was better then nobody would ever buy Pepsi. But they do because their opinion is different from yours.

Opinions are not facts.

Your replies do seem to suggest that you're not appreciating this point.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

The mere fact that you chose Coca-Cola proves that because if it was "fact" that Coca-Cola was better then nobody would ever buy Pepsi. But they do because their opinion is different from yours.

Opinions are not facts.

No, people could still buy pepsi because sometimes people are wrong :D
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Opinions are not facts.

No, people could still buy pepsi because sometimes people are wrong :D

Oh definitely just like the people that say wearing mask will kill you lol

The mask doesn't kill you. The bacteria in it does.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Georges opinion was fact for star wars,

No.
    If George's opinion was that Character A was the best character in the original trilogy, Character A is not factually the best character. That is his opinion. Personal preferences are opinions.

Opinions are not facts.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Georges opinion was fact for star wars,

No.
    If George's opinion was that Character A was the best character in the original trilogy, Character A is not factually the best character. That is his opinion. Personal preferences are opinions.

Opinions are not facts.

Then what IS the decider?

If I think up a story in my head that I think is great, can you tell me I'm wrong?
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member

If I think up a story in my head that I think is great, can you tell me I'm wrong?

There is no "decider"! That's the whole point!
    Everyone is entitled to a different opinion. :smile:

If you write your own story and you think it is great, other people are allowed to have different opinions. That's why no story is loved by everyone - and I'm including all films, books, TV shows, comics, radio dramas, whatever. There will never be 100% agreement from everyone in the whole world as to which story is the best. That's because people have different opinions.
    If you love the story you've written, great! But you can't insist that others have to because "it is fact that it is brilliant". It is your opinion that it is brilliant and if I don't agree, that's my opinion. Neither of us are right, neither of us are wrong, there is no "decider", there is a different of opinion.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

If you write your own story and you think it is great, other people are allowed to have different opinions. That's why no story is loved by everyone - and I'm including all films, books, TV shows, comics, radio dramas, whatever. There will never be 100% agreement from everyone in the whole world as to which story is the best. That's because people have different opinions.
    If you love the story you've written, great! But you can't insist that others have to because "it is fact that it is brilliant". It is your opinion that it is brilliant and if I don't agree, that's my opinion. Neither of us are right, neither of us are wrong, there is no "decider", there is a different of opinion.

Nobody said a story is brilliant because the author says so. Only that the author gets to determine what is fact for the story.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Ahhhhh bro, when I tell you a made up story and i tell you who is the best swordsman in it, your opinion won't matter, you may think just because we are all entitled to our opinions my won't matter either, except you forget that I created the story, I'm its teller and what I say is a fact. At that point if you don't like the facts, you can go and write your own story and there whatever you say becomes the fact and my opinion wouldn't matter

Yeah...pretty much this
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Nobody said a story is brilliant because the author says so.

You've just contradicted yourself.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Ahhhhh bro, when I tell you a made up story and i tell you who is the best swordsman in it, your opinion won't matter, you may think just because we are all entitled to our opinions my won't matter either, except you forget that I created the story, I'm its teller and what I say is a fact. At that point if you don't like the facts, you can go and write your own story and there whatever you say becomes the fact and my opinion wouldn't matter

That's not what I'm arguing.
    There is a difference between opinion and fact. What you seem to be doing is not distinguishing between what is a matter of fact and what is a matter of opinion.

Which character is the greatest swordsman in your story is a matter of fact.
    Which character I prefer is a matter of opinion. Regardless of which swordsman you prefer, I am allowed to have a different opinion over which I prefer. It is a fact which is a better swordsman but not a fact over which character we prefer.
    Do you not see the difference?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Nobody said a story is brilliant because the author says so.

You've just contradicted yourself.

No, that's two different points, the first you already agreed with.

The second is in reference to this conversation. We aren't saying George is right because he says so, he's right because it's his story.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    It is a fact that Yoda is green.
    It is not a fact that Yoda is "the best" character just because he might be in George's opinion.

Are people really not seeing the difference here?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    It is a fact that Yoda is green.
    It is not a fact that Yoda is "the best" character just because he might be in George's opinion.

Are people really not seeing the difference here?

Yoda is green, and the best character. Yeah, I'm with you here.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Ah yea but you are saying what george says is an opinion and not a fact

What George says about what is "best", is his opinion.
    What George says about whether or not Yoda is green, is a fact of the story.

Different things are matters of fact or matters of opinion.
    I am arguing that his opinion of what is good or not does not make it a fact. It is his opinion.

There is a difference which I don't think you are getting.
    Facts and opinions cover different things. Opinions are matters of personal choice and perspective; facts are not. Whether someone likes something or not or thinks something is good or not is only ever an opinion. Who is the best fighter in a story or what colur Yoda is is or what the capital of Hungary is are facts.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    edited July 2020

No, I didn't,

When you said: "If I think up a story in my head that I think is great, can you tell me I'm wrong?"
    I replied with: "It is your opinion that it is brilliant and if I don't agree, that's my opinion."
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

No, I didn't,

When you said: "If I think up a story in my head that I think is great, can you tell me I'm wrong?"
    I replied with: "It is your opinion that it is brilliant and if I don't agree, that's my opinion."

Yes, but we're arguing what is fact, and you said my story is fact, and any disagreement is opinion.

For example, you said whatever swordsman I say is best, is best. If you disagree that's opinion

• Stenun
    851 posts Member

No, I didn't,

Yes, but we're arguing what is fact, and you said my story is fact, and any disagreement is opinion.

For example, you said whatever swordsman I say is best, is best. If you disagree that's opinion

No, I didn't.
    Who is the best fighter is a matter of fact. Who is the best character is opinion.
    There is a difference.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

That's not what I'm arguing.
    There is a difference between opinion and fact. What you seem to be doing is not distinguishing between what is a matter of fact and what is a matter of opinion.

Which character is the greatest swordsman in your story is a matter of fact.
    Which character I prefer is a matter of opinion. Regardless of which swordsman you prefer, I am allowed to have a different opinion over which I prefer. It is a fact which is a better swordsman but not a fact over which character we prefer.
    Do you not see the difference?

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

No, I didn't,

No, I didn't.
    Who is the best fighter is a matter of fact. Who is the best character is opinion.
    There is a difference.

I didn't say best character. I said best swordsman.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member

I didn't say otherwise.

I am trying to get across the difference between opinions and facts.

Let me be really patronising for one moment and ask you this:
    What do you understand to be the difference between an opinion and a fact?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

I didn't say otherwise.

Nothing, because you think you only you can distinguish the two.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    George Lucas is a pathological liar about his creation.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member

I didn't say otherwise.

Nothing, because you think you only you can distinguish the two.

In other words, you don't know, do you?
    You don't know when something is an opinion and when it is a fact and that's why we've been going around in circles for so long.

And of course I don't think only I can distinguish the two, what a silly thing to say.