George Lucas hates the new trilogy?

13Next

Replies

• LordDirt wrote: »
    But like we said, fans didnt like what he did with the PT so why do you care that he is back?

Some fans didn't like the prequels. Many others including myself like them. There are issues but the actual story is solid. Something that can't be said of the sequels.

Revenge of the sith is my second favorite star wars movie after empire.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Actually, j.j. DID create a cohesive story, Johnson just dropped it.

Several problems actually started with ep 7. Granted ep 8 made many of them worse. The biggest issue being that the main protagonist beats the villain in the first movie with no training. This could have been fixed in ep 8 with kylo receiving more training or by having smoke be the main villain but rian ruined that too.

But in reality, it shouldn't have been created in the first place. Rey should have lost to kylo t barely escape. Maybe have her saved by Luke. That would leave room for her to grow as a character and make kylo a more menacing villain.

But they cared more about a strong female character than stakes in the next two movies.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Hey I don’t even have to pay for this book!
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Actually, j.j. DID create a cohesive story, Johnson just dropped it.

Several problems actually started with ep 7. Granted ep 8 made many of them worse. The biggest issue being that the main protagonist beats the villain in the first movie with no training. This could have been fixed in ep 8 with kylo receiving more training or by having smoke be the main villain but rian ruined that too.

But in reality, it shouldn't have been created in the first place. Rey should have lost to kylo t barely escape. Maybe have her saved by Luke. That would leave room for her to grow as a character and make kylo a more menacing villain.

But they cared more about a strong female character than stakes in the next two movies.

I will say the same thing I have said many times to everyone I know, at that moment at the end of the episode 7, they should have luke be there and grab the lightsaber and try to defeat Kylo to only realize no matter how much stronger he is, he doesn't have it in him to actually hurt him, from there home would have just bought time for Chewy to come in with the falcon to save Rey, Luke, and Finn and from there he would have trained her to help bring kylo back to the light side and defeat snoke, while Rey would have wanted to kill Kylo because he killed Han, Luke would have had to convince her that there is still good in him and he can be redeemed.

I agree something similar. Luke comes in beats kylo but doesn't kill him, either doesn't have it in him or the planet is about to explode and he sees it as more important to save Rey.

Or even if they would have had kylo beat Luke, it would have been better than the way they did it.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    As long as more stars wars stuff comes out I'll be happy. I'll be ecstatic if it's good too

I'm in the same boat. I like most of what's come out. Everything has its flaws and I can look passed those flaws in some cases because I just love Star Wars. We didn't get any movies from '83 to '99, and again from '05 to '15. (I don't really count The Clone Wars movie as an actual movie itself despite being a theatrical release.) I'm just happy to get what I can get.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Nihion wrote: »
    The Star Wars community will not be “redeemed”. The “fans” seem to think that a group of the same people should run Star Wars forever; that will last maybe ten years. Then the same group gets stuck with the same ideas. The makers seem to think that running the few great characters they have over and over will grow Star Wars, when it just gives them a money boost for a year or two. And people also seem to think that George Lucas is some God who instantly makes great content, which is very flawed. And the community was doomed from the get go. They fell too in love with the originals; George Lucas can’t write dialogue, and he ruined the prequels, so the community suddenly blows up into this toxic “I need my good ol Luke” hyper fan base. George Lucas sells to Disney, I blame that on him, and people are mad. Disney creates a bad trilogy, the community decides that somehow George, the notorious prequel maker, will save them. Or that somehow giving full control to Dave Faloni, who made two kids shows and the disconnected episodes of the Mandalorian, will “fix” Star Wars. They blame George, then KK, then Rian, then JJ, and then who knows?

Star Wars is beyond being fixed. The OT suffers from overhype, which ruins everything after, but ultimately creates sequels and prequels. The prequels suffer from having only one man at the helm. The sequels suffer from too many people running the show. I personally think that the only way for anyone to save Star Wars is to sort through the ideas of the fans, and then put together what fits.

I don't think Star Wars is beyond fixing.

Lucas went a bit mad with the Prequels, taking them in all sorts of directions and sub plots and characters from what we were told of the clone wars in the OT. Some of what Lucas did was good, good enough that fans still look back at Lucas, post-Disney, with fond memories because as bad as the Prequels were, they are not anywhere as bad as the sequels.

But the majority of the star wars fan base recognizes that Rogue One and the Mandalorian is good content, so good star wars is possible. The majority of these "kids shows" (The Clone Wars and Rebels) are also good content.

What is needed are people that care about the franchise and the fans, rather than their own personal goals and visions (like Kennedy, JJ and Johnson). The sequels (for me and many fans) are a write-off. Just don't have them connect with any future projects so they are very much "stand alone", like the old EU, the fans can then either take them or leave them.

The originals were close to perfect, but many people agree that sequel content can be superior (although not usually). The Empire Strikes Back is said to be superior to A New Hope, same with the Godfather 2 over the Godfather, or Aliens over Alien etc. - Sequels just need to respect what came before and build on it for the better of the fan's enjoyment, not their personal views, as the fans are the ones who give any movie its money and enjoyment as a classic re-watchable for many years to come.

Who Disney had at the helm for the Sequels was nothing more than untested bad choice and overall 0 direction.

I'd say the likes of Filoni and Favreau are the ones doing a good job and could get some consult from Lucas - that would likely steer the ship back on course.