Getting the best mods

Amadeuswhite11
73 posts Member
edited September 2020
So I’m just trying to figure out how to get better mods. I feel like lots of people have a lot of mods with very high speed secondaries on them and I never really seem to get any that are too fast. I know a lot of it is luck, but I’m wondering if anyone has advice on how to increase my odds. Do you buy mods in the store or farm them with energy? Also, should I be spending most of my mod energy getting new mods or mod slicing materials?

Thanks!
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Energy and luck
  • https://youtu.be/DPKsVWqlG6E
    This video and some others on the channel should help.
  • Search your mods find any with a speed secondary, level up the mod to whatever level shows all stats if speed rolls once or more try slicing it. Maybe speed will roll again, repeat. Set a min speed number for mods you are willing to keep. Mine is a min of 10 unless I like another stat on it, otherwise I'll sell the mod.
  • Upgrade them till they buff once if it hits speed keep going... If not sell
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    Time machine!!!

In the land before time of the ancient SWGOH also known as the age of @CG_Carrie when the people who made the game also played it....

You used to be able to Upgrade them before maxing them, so you were able to get 9-10speed off the bat before any gamble on a mod, so you were only rolling 3/3 instead of 4/4 and starting with a 9-10 speed every time.

Not the case anymore, so your out of luck and need to full level the mod and reveal all stats before starting the random 4 roll to find out what increases.
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Foxer wrote: »

You used to be able to Upgrade them before maxing them, so you were able to get 9-10speed off the bat before any gamble on a mod, so you were only rolling 3/3 instead of 4/4 and starting with a 9-10 speed every time.

Yes, and you were stuck at 9-10 speed because you couldn't slice it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Longterm BobcatSkywalker is right. Short term follow something like the Playbook modding guide, link provided by Vi1ter. It's the guide I use and I've started to notice a difference in my overall in game performance since and wish I would have started paying attention to them earlier. It talks about how to farm, what to keep and what to level up. It breaks down all the steps and what not.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the "sell if it does not roll speed" method is poor advice. I have a ton of mods that only bumped speed once, twice, thrice, and so on. If I sold everything that did not hit on speed, I would not have enough mod inventory for all my squads. I hold a mod if it still has potential to outrun some of my other stuff until I get a chance to slice it and find out ... or until my inventory reaches cap and I have to purge.

No sense selling a mod just because it is not 20+, that's crazy talk.
  • Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the "sell if it does not roll speed" method is poor advice. I have a ton of mods that only bumped speed once, twice, thrice, and so on. If I sold everything that did not hit on speed, I would not have enough mod inventory for all my squads. I hold a mod if it still has potential to outrun some of my other stuff until I get a chance to slice it and find out ... or until my inventory reaches cap and I have to purge.

I'm not sure anyone is saying that only hang on to mods at 20+ speed - they are far too rare. For me, having played for 4 years or so and having played enough to acquire a decent mod inventory, I draw the line at +10 speed typically. Exceptions are made for non-speed rolls if certain characters benefit from high offence, protection or whatever.

A "good" mod is situation dependent.
  • WhoDat
    55 posts Member
    A speed sub will hit 5x at 1:256...
    It’s just luck, you need eternity, not 4 years

The more picky you are about which ones to upgrade, the better your results

For square, circle and diamond speed mods
    I sell every mod that doesn’t start as gray with 5 speed, or green +8, and I don’t upgrade purple (speed) mods with less than +10

The point is not to start upgrading gray/green that aren’t good, and not to keep upgrading if they started good, but didn’t get better

For triangle and cross speed mods...
    I’ll keep any with a speed sub, and will roll crit damage, offense, protection or health up to gold whenever possible, they’re too rare not to, imo

• I can still find places for a +14 gold mod on my roster (sadly, boo hoo), so slicing a purple with +9 may still be a benefit to me. Pretty sure some of my roster is currently even lower than that. I get what RNGesus gives me to play with, and am thankful for it. o:)
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    it takes time and effort. the more effort, the less time
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • WhoDat wrote: »
    A speed sub will hit 5x at 1:256...
    It’s just luck, you need eternity, not 4 years

The more picky you are about which ones to upgrade, the better your results

For square, circle and diamond speed mods
    I sell every mod that doesn’t start as gray with 5 speed, or green +8, and I don’t upgrade purple (speed) mods with less than +10

The point is not to start upgrading gray/green that aren’t good, and not to keep upgrading if they started good, but didn’t get better

For triangle and cross speed mods...
    I’ll keep any with a speed sub, and will roll crit damage, offense, protection or health up to gold whenever possible, they’re too rare not to, imo

The 1:256 would be for a grey to gold...

If it's blue and has already hit x3 then it's only 1:16... So that's why many say, if the grey didn't hit speed, you shouldn't slice it from green to blue... You only slice mods that have a chance to get better.

While it is horrible advice, the reason is not what you state. An offensive type mod that has rolled all offense% 5 with other secondaries of crit offense and speed is a great mod. If you get 6 of those and slap it on Ahsoka Tano or JKA or GMY you have assisters that hit like a truck. All offense % rolls are really valuable.

Also, I just reminded tonight getting GMY to 330 speed for my Padme team and Padme is 197. Grand Ivory gave her 116k protection. I really like the mod scheme against Malak teams. GMY throws up Battle Med, Basty Nasty can't debuff my team. They all go and Padme gets to cleanse. For mod schemes like that you can use a couple non-speed secondary mods.
  • Since I’m getting a steady flow of four and five dot mods (from t3 challenges), is it ok to sell pretty much all of my two and three dot mods (non-speed)?
  • heateris wrote: »
    Since I’m getting a steady flow of four and five dot mods (from t3 challenges), is it ok to sell pretty much all of my two and three dot mods (non-speed)?

Absolutely, unless it has ludicrous speed. You will want to get to all 5 dot mods and certainly don't continue to invest in any that aren't 5 dot.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • heateris wrote: »
    Since I’m getting a steady flow of four and five dot mods (from t3 challenges), is it ok to sell pretty much all of my two and three dot mods (non-speed)?

Absolutely, unless it has ludicrous speed. You will want to get to all 5 dot mods and certainly don't continue to invest in any that aren't 5 dot.

Thanks, that’s what I figured. I’m gonna mass sell my unused lower tier mods, then start upgrading my five dots.
  • ya5tyk1mda3w.jpeg
    I’m sure there are better 4 dot mods out there, but this is the only one left in my inventory that I suspect will be there forever.

I’ve got one more, that I wasn’t even aware of, which is +12 speed.
  • Simple truth is that you have to buy, farm, upgrade and slice hundreds of mods to build a good stock. And spend a lot of credits and crystals in the process.

This is what I got in like 3,5 years and it’s true that everything above 20+ speed is just luck.

kqsm43ct49tb.jpeg
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Simple truth is that you have to buy, farm, upgrade and slice hundreds of mods to build a good stock. And spend a lot of credits and crystals in the process.

This is what I got in like 3,5 years and it’s true that everything above 20+ speed is just luck.

kqsm43ct49tb.jpeg

I've been playing the same length of time and that's pretty good. My speed ones are 475/168/40/4
  • TVF wrote: »
    Simple truth is that you have to buy, farm, upgrade and slice hundreds of mods to build a good stock. And spend a lot of credits and crystals in the process.

kqsm43ct49tb.jpeg

I've been playing the same length of time and that's pretty good. My speed ones are 475/168/40/4

That 36 hasn’t changed in months although I spent even more on mods. I am not happy with the return on investment.
  • My god mod count is awful. I'm still satisfied with the return of my investment. My goal was to have 800 10+s (includes 15+ 20+ too) for gac 8 slots defense/offense and I'm pretty close to that target. I started to keep some mods in case changes to mods brings forth currently junky stats.

Also still heavily investing in 6eing mostly. I started cutting back on mod refills (50*3) arbitrarily since gac comparisons show I'm in a decent spot for my gp. Occasional whales will bury my mod roster so bad that it's not even a competition. Besides that I'm on the right side of the median.

5mizwqa4epao.png
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    Cutting back on your 50*3 reduces your chances of hitting more 20+.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Cutting back on your 50*3 reduces your chances of hitting more 20+.

Ofc. I almost never cut back until gl announcement. But now I do, because what I have is better than average (via bot comparisons I always do) and gear/shard farming takes priority due to the rush for 3 gls I'm missing. God mods are important for arena depending on the meta, but 15-20 god mod difference doesn't change gac much in my experience given I have enough to arm all included teams with 10+s. When I'm working on mods, I rarely think of 20+s that occasionaly comes around. I feel satiated as long as well aligned secondary stacks keep coming. I imagine my choice to emphasize 6e instead of farming brand new mods will greatly gain value when 6a's become a thing. When that happens I'll stop mod farming for quite a while and slice like crazy towards the new high end.