Grand Arena Matchmaking

Prev13
I don’t usually complain, but I think a complaint is reasonable here. Grand Arena. The point of matchmaking is to match you with other players around your gp... in my opinion, matchmaking should consider a couple factors, certain characters you have in your inventory and your gp, or gear 13 characters maybe... I like Grand Arena for the most part, but when a player without a GL character goes up against one that does, it’s a fools errand. A player who looks at their opponents inventory and sees they have SLKR or GL Rey, and then that player places one of those characters up front, it’s not even worth playing. You lose. It’s automatic. The 3v3 makes it even harder I think. I hope CG decides to filter out the matchmaking so players without GL characters aren’t facing other players who do have GL characters. It’s completely unbalanced.

Replies

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Droidguy_1 wrote: »
    The point of matchmaking is to match you with other players around your gp...

But it's not. It's to match you with other players around the gp of your top 80 (or less depending on your total gp).
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    This has been discussed in every meta. Going against general Skywalker when you don't have him. Countering Darth Revan when you don't have him. The point of GP matchmaking (top 80) means they do take into account your gear 13, relic, etc. It means you have roughly the same investment as your opponent. Having it look for specific characters means you don't get an advantage by smart play and earning or buying the newest shiny.

To compare, wrestlers are matched on weight class. If one guy eats junk and doesn't exercise, weight 280, another guy eats right, lifts heavy, and has built up muscle to also weigh 280, shoulder he have an advantage? The flabby one will lose until he falls into a bracket of others of his skill/fitness level, and the buff guy will advance into a bracket that challenges him.

I don't wanna see a out of shape flabby guy win the wrestling tournament because they only gave him other flabby guys to fight and never had to face the fit man to advance in the tournament
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Droidguy_1 wrote: »
    I don’t usually complain, but I think a complaint is reasonable here. Grand Arena. The point of matchmaking is to match you with other players around your gp... in my opinion, matchmaking should consider a couple factors, certain characters you have in your inventory and your gp, or gear 13 characters maybe... I like Grand Arena for the most part, but when a player without a GL character goes up against one that does, it’s a fools errand.

I like Grand Arena too but I would hate it if it was changed to 12 rounds against almost identical rosters every championship.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    IIRC, the point of GAC matchmaking, according to CG, is to yield "close matches." I have a GL. I have faced numerous opponents in GAC who do not. None of them have been "close matches".

Is it possible to beat a GL without having one? Absolutely. But it is extremely difficult (to the point of what most would consider "bad matchmaking") to do so in a way that is efficient enough, consistently enough for the overall GAC to be considered a "close match". I'm sure there are outliers, but in general I agree that the matchmaking formula does not (and really hasn't ever) consistently yielded "close matches". In my experience about 1 of 3 matches in a given GAC is "close".

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely still claim my Kyber rewards and smile. But that doesn't mean I think the matchmaking is good or balanced. But it's what we've got, so we play CG's game.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    But it's what we've got, so we play CG's game.

This.

Remember when they said kyro would ease the carb/gun/eyeball crunch?

Expect nothing, plan for everything.
  • Agreed
  • Both GLs are beatable in 3v3 without GLs. Do some research.

I would love some education here from you.

But you have to 2 team them and that costs you points. Last gac i got matched up with someone with a gl and I cleared everyone one of his teams for try except for gl kylo which took me 2. He cleared all my teams first try and won. There was nothing I could do. The matchmaking is far more broken though then just the gl problem. Last round my opponent had 800k more gp and 12 more reliced characters. I won because he didn't bother to attack but I would have lost for sure if he did.
  • TaTaKaS
    167 posts Member

I have no GL and have been matched with 5 GLs at this point. 3 Kylos and 2 Reys. I won 4 out of 5 rounds. I won both matches against Rey by blocking the bottom front just like my opponent and I was better on efficiency. You do not have to beat a GL in order to get the win, just saying...

shatngqflg5n.png
    vzru00p0a7qc.png
  • Your opponent with the reys must have been very poor players. If they had rey and you didn't they should have counted on you not being able to beat rey and they should have put total crap in the zone with rey and especially the zone behind rey. That is 5 more teams then you that they should have had and they should have been able to clear your front zone. What was your total gp compared to theirs?
  • You think you have it bad? This guy has 0 chance at all of beating me. I'd have to be incredibly drunk to lose to this guy.
    3ln6mlkvztwr.jpeg
  • yankeeh8er wrote: »
    Your opponent with the reys must have been very poor players. If they had rey and you didn't they should have counted on you not being able to beat rey and they should have put total crap in the zone with rey and especially the zone behind rey. That is 5 more teams then you that they should have had and they should have been able to clear your front zone. What was your total gp compared to theirs?

No they weren't very poor players, I am very good... Let me explain how this worked out for me. I do not remember the exact overall gp difference but I remember the gp difference of our top80 characters and that was practically 0.Additionally far fewer than 80 characters were used in total by both of us.

Moving on, I have somewhere around 23 characters at g13 and 20 of them have relics and I have no GL. Also none of them is resistance or first order. All of them are useful at some degree at least. That means I have every single previous meta team up and running and with relics. I have DR, GS, JKR, GG Padme, Cls, Traya, everything.

My opponents with a similar count of relics to me means that they have 12 characters with little to no use in place of my good characters. The consequence of that is they both were missing a good meta team. In one case my opponent did not have GS and had his JKR team only at g12 and the other had his DR team at g12 and his JKR even lower. So in both cases I knew they would block me on the front zone but I also knew that I could block them if I set my 3 best defensive teams in the same zone. Those would be DR, Padme and GG. I could even set my Skywalker. So I did that, set 4 crap teams in the back and another 4 normal teams in front of the ships. I needed to make sure I had 6 good offensive teams to take out everything except their Rey with good efficiency. I had GS, Cls, Traya, BH, JKR, Nest, Fo+Wat, Bastie Wampa Hoda and some more on offense. As you can see my scores were pretty high as I cleared what I could with almost 54 banners average and my opponents didn't.

So it wasn't a bad performance from my opponents, it is the expected outcome if both sides know what they are doing. It is extremely bad for your gac roster to skip a meta team. Might be good for arena but it's bad for gac. Even if you missed JTR or CLS you are at a disadvantage when compared to someone who has them.

I hope this covers you...
  • You think you have it bad? This guy has 0 chance at all of beating me. I'd have to be incredibly drunk to lose to this guy.
    3ln6mlkvztwr.jpeg

I have seen this kind of comparison between accounts, but I am curious as to how it is generated. Could you point me to how you do this?
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    hotbot
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    TaTaKaS wrote: »
    yankeeh8er wrote: »
    Your opponent with the reys must have been very poor players. If they had rey and you didn't they should have counted on you not being able to beat rey and they should have put total crap in the zone with rey and especially the zone behind rey. That is 5 more teams then you that they should have had and they should have been able to clear your front zone. What was your total gp compared to theirs?

No they weren't very poor players, I am very good... Let me explain how this worked out for me. I do not remember the exact overall gp difference but I remember the gp difference of our top80 characters and that was practically 0.Additionally far fewer than 80 characters were used in total by both of us.

Moving on, I have somewhere around 23 characters at g13 and 20 of them have relics and I have no GL. Also none of them is resistance or first order. All of them are useful at some degree at least. That means I have every single previous meta team up and running and with relics. I have DR, GS, JKR, GG Padme, Cls, Traya, everything.

My opponents with a similar count of relics to me means that they have 12 characters with little to no use in place of my good characters. The consequence of that is they both were missing a good meta team. In one case my opponent did not have GS and had his JKR team only at g12 and the other had his DR team at g12 and his JKR even lower. So in both cases I knew they would block me on the front zone but I also knew that I could block them if I set my 3 best defensive teams in the same zone. Those would be DR, Padme and GG. I could even set my Skywalker. So I did that, set 4 crap teams in the back and another 4 normal teams in front of the ships. I needed to make sure I had 6 good offensive teams to take out everything except their Rey with good efficiency. I had GS, Cls, Traya, BH, JKR, Nest, Fo+Wat, Bastie Wampa Hoda and some more on offense. As you can see my scores were pretty high as I cleared what I could with almost 54 banners average and my opponents didn't.

So it wasn't a bad performance from my opponents, it is the expected outcome if both sides know what they are doing. It is extremely bad for your gac roster to skip a meta team. Might be good for arena but it's bad for gac. Even if you missed JTR or CLS you are at a disadvantage when compared to someone who has them.

I hope this covers you...

Mate.... it depends on your matchup. If you get someone who is lacking a lot of meta toons but have rey or kylo them great but that's not what happens a majority of the time. I have one gl matched against 2. I've tried going offensively and it hasn't worked so I've gone defensively before setting (cls, han, chewy.... gas, fives, rex... dr, malak, bsf..... padme, jka, gk... gg, b1, magna.... kylo, foo, fost..... bossk, boba, dengar all in the front line, all relicd (high relics)). And guess what they still cleared me and I couldn't get through rey. You need to understand that your experience doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. There is a heap of different matchup and a majority of the time it's ridiculously hard to beat an opponent who has a gl and they don't especially in 3v3
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    This has been discussed in every meta. Going against general Skywalker when you don't have him. Countering Darth Revan when you don't have him. The point of GP matchmaking (top 80) means they do take into account your gear 13, relic, etc. It means you have roughly the same investment as your opponent. Having it look for specific characters means you don't get an advantage by smart play and earning or buying the newest shiny.

To compare, wrestlers are matched on weight class. If one guy eats junk and doesn't exercise, weight 280, another guy eats right, lifts heavy, and has built up muscle to also weigh 280, shoulder he have an advantage? The flabby one will lose until he falls into a bracket of others of his skill/fitness level, and the buff guy will advance into a bracket that challenges him.

I don't wanna see a out of shape flabby guy win the wrestling tournament because they only gave him other flabby guys to fight and never had to face the fit man to advance in the tournament

This is exactly what happens in top tier GAC. There are players with undersized rosters winning the tournament because they never go up against the guys with massive rosters. It is not a representation of the best players, just the ones who have games the MM to get the easiest matchups.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Kurgen wrote: »

This is exactly what happens in top tier GAC. There are players with undersized rosters winning the tournament because they never go up against the guys with massive rosters. It is not a representation of the best players, just the ones who have games the MM to get the easiest matchups.

Players are ranked by their championship score - which represents how well they performed that championship. It's fine.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Kurgen wrote: »

Those players are facing opponents with rosters of comparable matchmaking GP, which may well include facing opponents with significantly higher total GP especially in division 1.

Higher GP roster does not equal better player.
  • I think its perfect for me.

I have 2 GL and everybody else in my group has 1 :)
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    I think its perfect for me.

I have 2 GL and everybody else in my group has 1 :)

Lol - not helping.

ETA: Unless that was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying "Yep, it's broke."
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Keep in mind that this game mode is over a year old. CG is unlikely to make any more major changes to it. It's effectively dead to development (yes, speculating, hope I'm wrong).

Regarding matchmaking, the problem as I see it is that not everyone agrees on what the ideal system would be. In my opinion, if CG wants a truly competitive game mode to find the best players, they need:
    - More than 12 rounds per season
    - Ditch divisions and use a MMR or ELO system for ranking and matchmaking
    - Better rewards per time spent

However, if the purpose of GAC is to offer most people competitive matches (i.e content) most of the time with minimal effort on CG's part, then I'd say the system is largely working as intended. The difference in rewards from rank 1 Kyber to rank 1000 Kyber is not that big. So those that have dedicated their roster exclusively to GAC can have their cake, and the rest of us can have 75-90(?)% of the cake.

I'd prefer the former setup, but my wants are hardly relevant to CG or this forum :P
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Keep in mind that this game mode is over a year old. CG is unlikely to make any more major changes to it. It's effectively dead to development (yes, speculating, hope I'm wrong).

Regarding matchmaking, the problem as I see it is that not everyone agrees on what the ideal system would be. In my opinion, if CG wants a truly competitive game mode to find the best players, they need:

However, if the purpose of GAC is to offer most people competitive matches (i.e content) most of the time with minimal effort on CG's part, then I'd say the system is largely working as intended. The difference in rewards from rank 1 Kyber to rank 1000 Kyber is not that big. So those that have dedicated their roster exclusively to GAC can have their cake, and the rest of us can have 75-90(?)% of the cake.

I'd prefer the former setup, but my wants are hardly relevant to CG or this forum :P

Yes you are wrong.

There have been several conversations around matchmaking in general. Does this mean it will lead to changes, IDK, but it is by no means a dead subject.

Interestingly enough, in one of the conversations they discussed the more complex systems of an ELO style and when they ran a small scale experiment it lead to a big divide with a very obvious leading group of haves(whales) with a big and widening divide from the have nots.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Keep in mind that this game mode is over a year old. CG is unlikely to make any more major changes to it. It's effectively dead to development (yes, speculating, hope I'm wrong).

Yes you are wrong.

There have been several conversations around matchmaking in general. Does this mean it will lead to changes, IDK, but it is by no means a dead subject.

Interestingly enough, in one of the conversations they discussed the more complex systems of an ELO style and when they ran a small scale experiment it lead to a big divide with a very obvious leading group of haves(whales) with a big and widening divide from the have nots.

He may be wrong about the game mode being dead to development, but most of the rest of his post is spot on.

Pretty much everyone knows that the way GAC is set up means that the guy who wins 1st in div1 Kyber is the guy who has setup his roster in the most GAC compatible way, rather than THE best PVP player.

The size and scope of any form of game mode that would truly identify THE best PvP player is so massive that the best thing to do is write off the possibility of ever determining who that player is.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

Yes you are wrong.

He may be wrong about the game mode being dead to development, but most of the rest of his post is spot on.

Pretty much everyone knows that the way GAC is set up means that the guy who wins 1st in div1 Kyber is the guy who has setup his roster in the most GAC compatible way, rather than THE best PVP player.

The size and scope of any form of game mode that would truly identify THE best PvP player is so massive that the best thing to do is write off the possibility of ever determining who that player is.

When has this every been stated to be a way to find the best PvP player?

Also, how is having your roster built to a PvP mode not make you one of the best PvP players?

I never said the rest of the post was wrong, just about the part where they said they hope they are wrong.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Yes you are wrong.

Also, how is having your roster built to a PvP mode not make you one of the best PvP players?

I never said the rest of the post was wrong, just about the part where they said they hope they are wrong.
    1) In this post: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/205169/grand-arena-championships-overview the following was included: For the first time ever in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, we are introducing global leaderboards, so you’ll finally be able to answer the question: “Do you have what it takes to be the greatest in the galaxy?”

Substitute greatest for best, and I think we can agree that they have said that before.

2) I didn't say "one of" the best. I said THE best. And you know full well that the person who finishes top would not stand a chance against some of the others in Division 1. Particularly last time out. I'm not saying that they're not good. I'm saying they're not THE best.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Yes you are wrong.

1) In this post: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/205169/grand-arena-championships-overview the following was included: For the first time ever in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, we are introducing global leaderboards, so you’ll finally be able to answer the question: “Do you have what it takes to be the greatest in the galaxy?”

Substitute greatest for best, and I think we can agree that they have said that before.

2) I didn't say "one of" the best. I said THE best. And you know full well that the person who finishes top would not stand a chance against some of the others in Division 1. Particularly last time out. I'm not saying that they're not good. I'm saying they're not THE best.

Do you notice that even if you put best in there, there is still nothing referencing PvP.
    "Do you have what it takes to be the best in the galaxy......
    In PvP
    In GA
    In declaring the world's first
    The list could go on and on....

Nothing about it says PvP, its talking about Grand Arena, so the best in the galaxy are GA could be the person who built their roster to be such a person.

If you want to remove GA as a factor then the best player would need to be done through a tournament that gives all players the same roster.

Similar to saying "the best athlete" would be different if you measure with a single sport/event vs a bunch of different activities to equally spread out the necessary skills.
    More on topic

I like the idea of having the set rules and the ability for a player to build into that setup or not. It's all about choices and the rest is about your ability to utilize what your choices and strategy have left you with.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Such an ELO system would be much more static than what we have currently. With the current system all ranks are reset once every month. If you improved your roster significantly since the previous reset (month) f.ex. by unlocking/gearing the latest META team you will almost immediately be able to climb to a better overall rank. With an ELO system if you made the same improvements to your roster it would still take long time before you reach the same higher ranks.