Help! Looking to better up going through the Phoenix team

Hi everyone! I need your advice. I'm level 80, but spent most of the time playing around with no goal and improved heroes that are no worthy. Since level 70 I started taking the game seriously and improving the Phoenix team, but as I still have a mediocre squad I sucks in arenas and in galactic wars! Any advice in how to continue I would really appreciate!
https://swgoh.gg/p/691772852/
PS I'm f2p

Replies

• It looks like you're taking the same path I did. Finish that Phoenix team. GMY is good but at your point, a full Phoenix team is going to do better due to their synergy, imo. If you have resources to spare, start farming Bastilla. She's a tremendous lead with jedi so your Ezra and Kanan don't totally go to waste. Don't bother taking them to far just because they're not the best in the end game. Don't worry about Sabine. Having her at 5* is sufficient for her ship and not that intensive for farming. Only level up and gear the character's you're using at this point, otherwise you're wasting resources. I went to the point that I wouldn't level up characters past one level less than I was when I was where you're at in the game. So for you right now, I'd only level to 79, because this maximizes the use of your credits and training droids, although the amount saved is minimal most of the time.
  • Arena takes a long time to get anywhere. You're best bet for arena imo, is palp lead, with vader, thrawn, tarkin and TFP. Get a zeta on Palps lead and vaders merciless massacre as soon as possible. Keep farming Phoenix(except Sabine) to 7*. Since you have Hera and Ezra at 7*, I would use your cantina energy for KRU, and imperial tie fighter pilot to improve your fleet. You can throw kru in your empire squad until you get thrawn up and running
  • Also, in galactic war, you can back out of a battle and try it again if you lose a toon. Phoenix works very well in gw, due to their protection and health recovery. Maxing out zeb and choppers uniques will help with that.
  • Also make sure you read the other threads in the new players section, many of them have something to do with Phoenix
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Snowbird13 wrote: »
    Arena takes a long time to get anywhere. You're best bet for arena imo, is palp lead, with vader, thrawn, tarkin and TFP. Get a zeta on Palps lead and vaders merciless massacre as soon as possible. Keep farming Phoenix(except Sabine) to 7*. Since you have Hera and Ezra at 7*, I would use your cantina energy for KRU, and imperial tie fighter pilot to improve your fleet. You can throw kru in your empire squad until you get thrawn up and running

This is exactly what I've done recently with respect to Arena. I switched from my PS to Empire squad which I've gradually been improving for the R2 event. They're now good enough that they bumped me up to just outside the top 200 (#214 currently) after stalling around #300 for awhile with Phoenix.
  • I wouldn’t recommend using the Phoenix team in the squad arena.

I would use them to get Thrawn and Palpatine (although I had the better rebels already than the Phoenix.)

Would only relic them as their ships is worthy in a rebel fleet but I can’t be **** and they got abandoned in their gear XIII/IX state as soon I got Thrawn 7 stars.
  • Sebakenobi wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I need your advice. I'm level 80, but spent most of the time playing around with no goal and improved heroes that are no worthy. Since level 70 I started taking the game seriously and improving the Phoenix team, but as I still have a mediocre squad I sucks in arenas and in galactic wars! Any advice in how to continue I would really appreciate!
    https://swgoh.gg/p/691772852/
    PS I'm f2p

You have strong enough Phoenix to unlock a 5 star thrawn today. My alt account is only level 71 and a g6 Phoenix team was enough for the 5 star.

So immediately get thrawn. Gear him as fast as possible. Run Ep, vader, and thrawn as the core to an empire team. Tarkin and tfp are good additions that you already have but there are other options. Dark Bastilla is really good for that team longterm and should be within your reach.

If you choose to run a Phoenix team in arena, definitely ditch gym for zeb. The full team is important and understanding their kits is vital to getting the team to work. Phoenix is a team where you need to chip away at a team while keeping the more dangerous characters on the opposing side under control. Zeb landing daze on his basic and stun if they are dazed already is vital to the team working.

For example an enemy team that has a dooku will counter constantly and stun your team. Zeb puts daze on it and stops the counters so you can get rid of him.

Unfortunately, getting a stun with Phoenix takes several turns and just isn't very effective at control once the opposing teams have some synergy. For example, a nute sep team will be hard for Phoenix because note will stealth and then there's no way to keep him from spreading extortion and you team will suffer.

Ep has a mass stun which makes control of multiple characters possible. And also shock for a combo of buff immunity and healing immunity. Thrawn can fracture a character to keep them out of the battle until you have a few turns to control the rest of the team. Vader can when merciless massacre is Zetas take 6 turns in a row and deal massive damage.

I have an alt that I've run for a few months. I switched from Phoenix to ep a few days after I got them to 5 stars and unlocked ep and thrawn at 5 stars. My ep team was about 20k power at the time and my Phoenix were about 35k but ep would hold just as well. A properly molded empire team can beat a note team, a non zeta Bastilla team easily (and a zeta Bastilla if you mod vader for enough potency), and sepatists. I hold around 500 pretty easily and climb above that for my payout.

If you're still in the thousands you can climb out of there if you switch teams and mod them right.

Mod thrawn and vader for speed. Potency on vader helps too but mainly speed unless you are facing zeta Bastilla regularly.

Ep should be molded with 3 potency sets preferably with speed and potency secondaries. That will make the mass stun land and make the team much better.

Tfp and tarkin should also be fairly fast and tfp should have some potency if you want the buff immunity to stick. But they are less important for the team to work.
  • There are 4 to 6 paths you need to be working on, and your most important task is going to be choosing which ones are most important to you.

1. Phoenix => Empire
    This is the path you seem to be on already. YOu're going to gear up your Phoenix just enough to get your 7* Thrown and 7* Emperor Palpatine. This means that at least a couple toons are probably going to be g9 (all g8 is possible, but most people find it less frustrating just to throw a little more gear on key Phoenix toons). The best candidates for extra gear are Ezra, Zeb, and Kanan.

This path is a good and important one, and truthfully you're almost done. As you move along this path, remember a couple things.
    ==> Tarkin, Vader & TIE Fighter Pilot are crucial to your early zeta materials. You're going to need to push a lot harder on ships than you've been doing. You need 5x 5* Dark Side fighters to boost executrix any further. Make sure you get Tarkin, Vader & TFP to g9 & 6* (I think they're already 6* for each right now, so just get them that gear).
    ==> Empire alone can't get you your zetas soon enough. It requires too many harder characters and ships.
    ==> When you do get zetas, given your current roster, I think people are correct that your best bet in moving up in Arena rank is zeta Emperor Palpatine's leadership first, then Vader's Merciless Massacre second.
    ==> Your Emperor Palpatine squad can be supplemented with Sith instead of being entirely filled out with Empire toons. Darth Sidius is not a great character, but he does spread a lot of debuffs. His weakness is more in how easily he is killed. Count Dooku is another character that fits here. He doesn't inflict mass debuffs like Darth Vader with his AoE that inflicts up to 4 debuffs per target, but he still works fine. So keep you eye on Sith as possible fill in characters while you're working up to your Empire Dream Team.

2. Separatists => Padmé's Galactic Republic
    Padmé's squad is going to be the most powerful squad you can get early in the game. However, that's still going to take awhile. It's certainly going to take too long for you to skip Empire and go straight for Padmé. Also, you're going to need a lot of Kyrotech for Padmé, so expect her gear to go slow after you hit g9 or so (you'll probably have a little Kyrotech saved up from completing dailies, but not a lot).
    The best separatists to get Padmé are the Geonosians. Not only do they do well in her event, but several of them are easy to gear and the squad as a whole is completely beastly at your level, so you'll get two good squads out of this as opposed to the Phoenix => Empire path where Phoenix will be abandoned before long.
    Special notes:
    ==> Geonosian Ships are the easiest to star up and to gear the pilots to a reasonable level of any ships in the game. Since you need 5 Dark Side ships for the zeta challenge, at least two of those first 5 DS ships should be Geonosians, and you want all 3 because they will vastly improve your Fleet Arena rank compared to what you have now.
    ==> Sun Fac can be hard to gear, and should definitely take lower priority than your Arena squad, but the sooner you can get him to g10-ish, the sooner your Geonosian squad can start being an extremely effective force in Fleet.

3. Jedi => GMY => Jedi Revan
    The Jedi do not help you in ships anytime soon - they are going to be squad only. Mace Windu and Jedi Consular are also bad characters for Squad purposes, both in PvP and PvE. I would strongly recommend that you don't put any effort into Mace or JC anymore. They'll get to 7* all by themselves just with accidental shards from GW nodes and Bronzium packs. This will keep GMY at 6* for a while, but that's okay. You don't have the gear to take him deep into g12 anyway, so topping out at g11+5 is fine for now.
    What you want to do instead is start farming Bastila Shan and Jolee Bindo when reasonably possible. Getting zeta mats on farm is more important than getting GMY to 7* or Jedi Revan unlocked. When those 2 characters hit 7 stars, you'll have your GMY. Before then, don't worry about unless your JC and Mace get to 7* by accident. But don't spend any resources on Mace/JC. None at all. Not even gear. You're much better off overloading gear on one or two good toons and letting Mace & JC get killed during the event than you are bringing all your Jedi up to g9. Ahsoka & Ezra are your two best bets for gear here.

4. Bounty Hunters => $$$ => Chewbacca
    The BH squads are necessary for a lot of things, including the Credit Heist. You double your rewards from the Heist every time you advance a tier, so you should take that seriously: you need the money and you'll keep needing money for a long, long time to come. To go with your current toons, farm Bossk, Jango, and Greef Karga. Skip the gear and shards on IG-88, but you'll need all the other Bounty Hunters that you have to reach 7*. DO NOT FARM Boba Fett. Boba is another baseline character for which the game frequently provides free shards. By the time you have your other BH's at 7* and need Boba to reach that level for specific 7*-only events, he'll be 7* anyway, just by accident. Spend your energy farming the toons that don't come free. 6* is good enough for a while.
    Although it's possible to get Chewbacca without them, the two key toons for getting Chewbacca at the lowest possible gear are probably
    ==> Dengar: his unique ability prevents the enemy from gaining stealth, so R2 cannot smoke screen the enemies you need to kill
    ==> Bossk: You're going to take a lot of damage, and Bossk provides the most healing.
    New toons that will probably be a lot of help:
    ==> Greef: This is tricky because we don't yet know exactly how good he'll be, but Greef also provides a lot of healing to bounty hunters, and might make it easier to complete the event without Bossk - if he can survive the initial volley. Greef + Bossk would be a wonderful combination, again, assuming you're lucky enough to have all your characters survive the opening volley.
    ==> Mandalorian: Mando has an instant-kill ability once the Bounty Hunter contract is completed (so you can't use it on your opening few shots). I'd wager a lot that this can turn the tide of the battle b/c your enemies have a lot of Turn Meter gain from resisting debuffs and a lot of healing on Chewbacca, who can be very hard to kill because of that. Instant-kill also avoids a lot of counter-attacks from Raid Han. So that's a good thing.

5 Bounty Hunter Ships => Millennium Falcon
    You're going to need all 4 BH ships (Slave 1, Hound's Tooth, IG-2000, and Xanadu Blood) at seven stars to get the Millennium falcon, but it's worth it. MillFalc is a great ship. By the time you have all 4 of them at 5* to unlock MillFalc, your pilots will all be good enough. Remember that you'll need Cad Bane as a character to unlock Xanadu Blood, and Cad is very easy to gear, so you'll probably want to get him up to g9 even if he isn't 7* when it's time to collect your MillFalc.

Maybe-kinda-sorta:
    6. Rebel Ships => Chimera
    Getting Thrawn's capital ship used to be quite important, but the Chimera has lost primacy to newer Capital ships. You'll still want to get the Phoenix Ships to 7*, but it's no longer the priority that it once was. Rebel Y-Wing, Wedge, Biggs, and Rogue-1 ships are going to round out your squadron here, but none of them is a priority right now.

===================

Using these important early-game paths as your initial options, I'd select just one or two to work on at a time. Really, at MOST two. The game is much easier when you're able to focus narrowly on a task and complete it.

Also remember that if you have to choose between a couple of different options and one is simply flat out more fun to your mind than the other options, ALWAYS choose the more fun option, even if another option seems a quicker path to power.

This game takes YEARS to collect everything and gain a shot at completing its most difficult and important challenges (soloing HAAT & HSTR, earning Wat & KAM shards, defeating the Darth Revan & General Skywalker events, etc.), and that's not even mentioning the effort required to gain a Galactic Legend character.

If you choose only to seek "efficiency" rather than "fun", this game will become a job for you, and you'll never get to that endgame content because you'll never want to. You'll quit and move on to something else.

So ask for advice, that's fine. And consider how the characters you're farming and gearing will help you accomplish goals. But never, ever lose sight of the fun. If people are giving you advice to do something that seems wise but not fun, forget the wisdom. If it's not fun, why play?
  • Great write-up @MasterSeedy tons of good info. I’m grinding away at one and starting four.