Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• You want my feedback on the Galactic Challenges, CG? Well ... Here you go.

etlg3iexvzlk.gif
  • CG get me scared, i was in fear that i have to spend my time on mobile during my vacation...thank you CG (no sarcasm) for another pointless game mode (at least during summer)....all the best...
  • The stench of abject failure is all over this new “mode”. Where’s the “puzzle”? It’s just as played out and mind numbingly dull as the rest of this tired garbage. It’s not even worth the time to push the auto button for the rewards. Making relic levels on arbitrary characters isn’t a puzzle. It’s lazy development (or gross incompetence) and not at all fun. Ok so it’s an “exhibition” mode. But from what I can see there isn’t much of a way to improve it other than starting over. So in like 5 more years they may have something! Glad I moved to MSF. They may not be perfect but there’s new content, communication, and most of all, it’s actually fun. Stopped spending on this game a year and a half ago, giving MSF about 100 a week. Deleting this Star Wars themed dung heap and hoping Disney exercises better judgment about who they license to in the future. Just pull the plug already CG, games brain dead. It’s not coming back.
  • Firefox54
    73 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    OK ... if CG wants legitimate feedback ... here is some actual feedback:

I can see how the modifiers can force you to use different teams. For example, I tried my R7 GAS team on lvl 6 and can win the battle, but not without losing a unit ... in part because of the modifiers. I could use a team with buff removal or some other feature to solve the feat.

So ... I can see why the event might be 6 days to give me time to identify a better team to win.

However, the rewards need to be significant enough to make me try and solve the puzzle. Progression in the game is limited by the resources we're given (this is the obvious statement), so 2 mk5 weapon mod and 3 mk1 electrobionoculars aren't enough 'incentive' for me to spend the time trying to solve the puzzle at lvl 6. (I understand this is 'exhibition' but I'm not a beta tester ... that was supposed to be done already)

The best rewards are for the On Target feat, which requires a quintet of the Sith faction at a given gear level ... the rewards might be appropriate ... but it artificially forces us to power up toons that may not be needed to beat the event ... I can beat lvl 6 with Sith, but not five R3 Sith ... why can't I get the rewards? If CG wants to keep the On Target feat ... just pick the faction ... don't force us into gearing up toons if we can win with less.

For the Flawless Victory and Calculated Risk feats ... the rewards simply need to be better for players to put in the time to 'solve the puzzle'.

If the feats are going to change ... I say, in general, it's fine to give us a feat where CG picks a faction, but don't force us to have needless gear levels. There's no strategy there ... you either have them or you don't. Also, in general, rewards need to be commensurate with the difficulty level to make it worth 'solving the puzzle'. If I need to be using relic'd toons to beat a feat (and spending time to figure out a combination to do so) I need more than early level gear. For lvl 6 events, I'd expect more gear along the lines of ... mk3 stun cuffs, mk5 stun guns/droid caller, mk6 medpac, mk12 pieces, mk 7/9 kyro, mk4 comlink/bacta gel, mk8 biotech/sec scanners, finishers. These pieces will help me progress ... the others I'm getting elsewhere.

To be honest, there was a point in the game's history where simply getting a challenging puzzle would have been interesting and fun regardless of the gear (probably a few years ago) ... but because of other requirements in the game, the resources need to be commensurate with the activity level in order to progress in other areas of the game.

Also ... how about actually putting the rewards for the event under the 'rewards' section? Right now, it shows the rewards for beating the feats, not the event. I might have been less annoyed if I knew beating lvl 6 with any team was going to give me slicing gear instead of the gear shown in the 'rewards'.

Finally, one last recommendation ... CG ... communicate with the community! You're going to be able to read all of our complaints and feedback (yes, more on the former than the latter), but you can't just hide away for months without telling the community what changes you may/may not be making. This event ends in 6 days ... you should be able to provide some update/response to how you are considering updating the Galactic Challenges within a few weeks (particularly since most of us are already probably done with the event).

So, this is my legitimate feedback instead of just being 'salty'

To be honest, after this LS TB, I'm planning on taking a week or two away from the game to determine if I continue in swgoh. This event really made me rethink if this is a game I'm having fun playing after 4 years (or something like that). We've had little new and interesting content for a long time. While this event might be a step in the right direction, the 'tease' of new and interesting content no longer keeps me interested ... and the lack of meaningful communication from CG, slow development of the proposed new content, and the significant choke points has me questioning the fun in-game (I'd even consider spending some money as a 99.8% F2P, but unless you whale out, even $20/mo doesn't really get you much forward progress ... imo).

Anyway ... here you go CG ... here's my feedback. Let's see (one last time) if you bother to take community feedback on the gameplay or communication.

• So this happened.
    Still boring, still uninteresting and the rewards are still not worth the challenge nor the previous investment.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    arbster wrote: »
    In the sense that they told us this is an exhibition to get feedback, and also make the first lage scale test of a game mode built with the new tools. Yes.
    Once again, CG's problem here is in the communication. IF what we're seeing here is the "boring" guts of a more engaging, deeper and more open-ended game mode they really should have told us. It looks so close to Assault Battles, I'm at a loss as to what they're learning from this test, except for how far they can push the community before people quit in even greater numbers. Expectation management isn't their strong suit, that's for sure, but this is a massive own-goal given the level of expectation and the time that has passed since the last meaningful content.

Galactic Challenges needs to be something that makes people think, not just force them to spend more on pointless relics, or wait for the right RNG against amped-up, over-sized teams.

EA's management on the earnings call heaped praise on their teams' productivity from home during these testing times, but really they were just pleased that thousands of bored, locked-down people spent some more money on old content. CG can't keep riding that wave for long - soon many people will have less money, and will be looking for more value for their discretionary spend.

They did tell us that, very specifically. This is not the final thing, this is the exhibition.

That's what they said with GAC rewards...and they stayed the same.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I had hopes that the rewards for the lower tiers would reset each day. But should have known better.

I want to know what G12 teams they tested tier 5 with. I ran all G12 and 1 relic 5 with no chance in hell at finishing it.

Traya works well on all tiers.

This. And therein lies the problem. For the higher tiers, there is a relic requirement. And, due to the modifiers, you need a very specific team (or, in most cases, a very specific lead). CG should drop one or the other - either get rid of the relic requirement to play the higher tiers (which would be the most player friendly...so they probably won't do that) or change the modifiers to actually allow us "use our roster" - not, once again, prescribe play. The rewards are fine - but the game mode is far too restrictive for something that is supposed to encourage/allow us to "utilize many parts of their character and ship roster in a fun and meaningful way."

Yeah, no. In it's current format, Galactic Challenges doesn't do that at all.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    In the sense that they told us this is an exhibition to get feedback, and also make the first lage scale test of a game mode built with the new tools. Yes.
    Once again, CG's problem here is in the communication. IF what we're seeing here is the "boring" guts of a more engaging, deeper and more open-ended game mode they really should have told us. It looks so close to Assault Battles, I'm at a loss as to what they're learning from this test, except for how far they can push the community before people quit in even greater numbers. Expectation management isn't their strong suit, that's for sure, but this is a massive own-goal given the level of expectation and the time that has passed since the last meaningful content.

Galactic Challenges needs to be something that makes people think, not just force them to spend more on pointless relics, or wait for the right RNG against amped-up, over-sized teams.

EA's management on the earnings call heaped praise on their teams' productivity from home during these testing times, but really they were just pleased that thousands of bored, locked-down people spent some more money on old content. CG can't keep riding that wave for long - soon many people will have less money, and will be looking for more value for their discretionary spend.

They did tell us that, very specifically. This is not the final thing, this is the exhibition.

Or did they
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member

Did they? I think they changed, but not to something dramatically better.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

And all they produced from the GAC exhibition was to tie 4 rounds together with questionable match-making and more sub-par rewards. The only thing that redeems GAC is that it pits players against each other, which means there is room for creativity and variation that is so lacking elsewhere in the game, recently.
  • CG are you guys kidding? Playing on old maps is "really" no new content. Also the rewards are nothin' like a joke or ? People...this Game is more less dead
  • I actually Like the Challenge Level of the Fights, but the Feats for extra Rewards aren't good Design. While i can understand the additional rewarda for beating it without loosing a toon and beating it undersized, i Just cant understand, why you Guys at CG thought it to be a good Idea to expect specific Gear Levels on toons. You Always mentioned that it should Always be better to Gear Up toons. And now there are rewards for having toons at Gear Levels we cant Go Back to again.
    At least make the requirements less specific. Make it a Sith Squad below a certain Gear Level. Makes it a Lot more plausible than those specific Gear Levels.
  • Tier 7 Flawless feat completed with this team, which are all Sith, but because I've had the temerity to make the event harder for myself, and thus more of a challenge to complete, I'm not allowed the best rewards. In which universe does this make sense?

xm963nlhherq.png
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    You have to do the feat to get the rewards
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Gifafi wrote: »

Or did they

You are correct. They changed them very slightly. But they basically stayed the same.

ETA: My primary point is not about the rewards for this event. I actually think the rewards themselves are fine. It's the extremely restrictive structure that is poor. They billed as an event that would allow us to "utilize many parts of their character and ship roster in a fun and meaningful way" - which it doesn't. Not at all. These are basically single phase assault battles that require even more specific teams to succeed at higher tiers (and are basically "auto battles" at lower tiers).

• Did this really take a year and scrapping a raid to bring us? Seems tedious and uninspired. No story or Star Wars flavor just more gated content to trick me to bloat my roster.
  • The Good
    • It's content and not a pack B)
    • The concept is pretty good
    • It is an obvious opportunity to let the community design future events with forum competitions
    • While 7 days is way, way too long, it is a GREAT sign that CG actually officially acknowledge that they are experimenting. More of this, do it with new toon/ship kits as well and only later lock them (maybe after 2 weeks or so)
    The Bad
    • There is nowhere near enough "puzzle" elements
    • At high tier enemy one-shoots maxed out toon before they get a turn = lazy design
    • Don't have 2 feats that are mutually exclusive like the one requiring 5 Siths and the other one requiring not to have a full squad. Do it the other way around and have a feat that require you to beat all the other feats in the same run. Also, make ridiculously difficult feats with only vanity rewards.
    • The rewards are unimpressive for an event that runs once a week. When the frequency if reduced to 2 days (as I guess will be the end result), keep the rewards. Then they will be worth it.
    The Ugly
    • No end-game player will want to play tier 1-5, but as they do have some (small) rewards we will. Let us SIM them or award us with all rewards of lower tiers when we complete one. Right now we are forced/encouraged to play something we do not want to. That is NOT good for the health of the game/community/CG's long term profit
  • Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    marxuke wrote: »
    Hope this is not the big thing we have waiting for, because this event is boring as hell. You cant test your teams and rewards are a laugh (or a cry). Looking at the packs, those are even more overpriced than before.

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is exactly the big thing we have been waiting for. Yep, it took them a year to come up with glorified ls/ds battles with almost no reward. Sure, it's just a test run, but I'm not holding my breath for some big improvement.

Is it, or is this the exhibition round before the changes to make the big thing.... much like GA was to GAC.

GA and GAC are essentially the same thing (it’s not like they changed the game play). So if you are suggesting this is the trial run that will result in no changes, you’ve done a great job.

• Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    This is a easier assault battle, but locked behind requirements with less rewards and a slight mix of the TB’s environment.

This is nothing new or compelling.

CG gonna Cg.
  • arbster wrote: »
    Tier 7 Flawless feat completed with this team, which are all Sith, but because I've had the temerity to make the event harder for myself, and thus more of a challenge to complete, I'm not allowed the best rewards. In which universe does this make sense?

xm963nlhherq.png

Because you haven't wasted time and resources you didn't think you needed on relicing them despite not needing them relic'd. But hey, don't fret, there is a conveniently placed pack in the store for you to buy for a low low, lol sorry I just can't get through this bit without laughing. CG has made it very clear they want people to have to open their wallet if they want the best stuff. That brown-noser can come defend them as much as he wants but this "new feature" is just another attempt to force people to use resources they never thought they would need to in order to receive mediocre rewards.

And this is the Sith event, toons a lot of people already have. Can't wait to see the ridiculous requirements on factions people don't go for because they aren't meta.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member

Or did they

You are correct. They changed them very slightly. But they basically stayed the same.

ETA: My primary point is not about the rewards for this event. I actually think the rewards themselves are fine. It's the extremely restrictive structure that is poor. They billed as an event that would allow us to "utilize many parts of their character and ship roster in a fun and meaningful way" - which it doesn't. Not at all. These are basically single phase assault battles that require even more specific teams to succeed at higher tiers (and are basically "auto battles" at lower tiers).

disagree on rewards, they need to be better. So do GAC's. As for the roster stuff, this is the first one, and we haven't had a ship one yet. I think there will be more roster utilization

that being said, "now you have a bunch of dots lulz" isn't my idea of a puzzle, and while my hopes weren't high for this new, uh, "mode," I'm not a fan.

raids and TB's are the only real fun and challenging things (respectively lol) we have imo. I mean, I still like Arena too, but I want new raids or something completely new, not just AB-type stuff with modifiers. If they have GC's run all the time, with better rewards, it will be...better.
  • Vuk
    32 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Hahahaha this is a joke.......galactic trashhhhh. I am so glad I started MSF 2 months ago...I knew they will make something like this only for whales. Joke of a game. Its not even pay to win game...it is pay to play and not to win unless you pay some more for crap rewards hahaha. Jokeeee
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2020

Or did they

disagree on rewards, they need to be better. So do GAC's. As for the roster stuff, this is the first one, and we haven't had a ship one yet. I think there will be more roster utilization

that being said, "now you have a bunch of dots lulz" isn't my idea of a puzzle, and while my hopes weren't high for this new, uh, "mode," I'm not a fan.

raids and TB's are the only real fun and challenging things (respectively lol) we have imo. I mean, I still like Arena too, but I want new raids or something completely new, not just AB-type stuff with modifiers. If they have GC's run all the time, with better rewards, it will be...better.

I don't disagree with any of this, save for the fact that I actually think the rewards are acceptable for 20 minutes on auto for most of the early tiers. Obviously, if they bumped them up a bit, I would take them.
    Post edited by Nikoms565 on

• I feel punished for over-gearing characters since they don’t seem to count towards rewards. Maybe change it to “at least gear whatever” and be able to get all rewards below the highest tier completed - like omega battles.

I read that a couple if times now. I beat T6 with 3xR3, 1xR7 and 1xR5 and got the rewards for the feat that says beat it with R3. So it is a minimum requirement for the rewards. But not for beating the tier which is absurd. If you can do it with all R2 you get nothing. Seems they simply cannot control difficulty and RNG because they clearly did not intend to punish people for beating a tier with squads at lower relic levels.
  • mikk207
    242 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Vuk wrote: »
    Hahahaha this is a joke......galactic trashhhhh. I am so glad I started MSF 2 months ago...I knew they will make something like this only for whales. Joke of a game. Its not even pay to win game...it is pay to play and not to win unless you pay some more for crap rewards hahaha. Jokeeee

I restarted with msf as well.
    you really think it is better ?
    the only thing you do is battling the same teams over and over again, even in raid you only fight normal and existing teams. super boring and unimaginative
  • So some simple feedback scale of 1 to 10 with comments
    Content:
    6 - There is potential here. New global effects and fraction specific effect, but no cut scenes, no new game play mod. This is just different effects on existing battles.

Rewards:
    2 - Decent rewards for the top feat. Ever level reward without feats is a joke. The mods just remind me I am hitting the inventory cap. The lower level feat gear reward is laughable. No player needs these pieces.

As an alternative for Sandbox
    4 - The team buffs makes using any team less effective but the global effect really changes using any team that is not meta and does not have cleanse.

Game play:
    5 - Very similar to other mods, some new changes and challenges, like the effects and having a summoned enemy unit. Nothing very new. I like a challenge,once, but then it is not something I will play for 7 days.

Potential:
    8 - This could be much better. The rewards, the effects, adding cut scenes, etc., all could make this much better. There is a lot of potential to make small changes to what is built. I hope we see changes like the shift from GA to GAC. Please CG do not leave this as it is.
  • Hi,

99% of the community is upset with the delivery of Galactic Challenges - check Reddit. Granted, we understand it's a platform to roll out more content and are hopeful things will get better, but there are many many reasons why it has resulted in extremely negative feedback.

Length: 2-7 days is extremely too long for something that took 10-20 minutes to beat what tiers I could with no incentive to return.

Rewards: Tying the rewards to feats is cool. However, the feats use gear locks to incentivize players to gear up parts of their roster for meager rewards. Take the gear locks out. Additionally, the rewards in the other feats are very very poor - I have 1000s of these pieces of gear. How about some stun cuffs or stun guns or carbantis or nubian security scanners or something that is actually a bottleneck? Or an actual good amount of crystals or credits or something... And if the event is running this long, at least make the rewards replayable for the amount that there are. Overall, the rewards are very, very poor for this long of an event. I felt like I lost something instead of gaining anything.

Fun: Assault battles is more fun by many miles (and has better rewards). Probably because of the waves and the abilities and difficulty. This content is just like any other hard battle with changed elements. One and Done.

Replayability: I mean we could replay it, but there is no purpose to.

Feats: The feats are fine, but adding some flare/creativity would be nice. "Use this ability so many times"

Modifiers: This is probably the most different part of the event than anything else which is good, but it doesn't really save the game mode from being boring.

I mean we want to be on your side CG and are hopeful that this thing becomes positive. But it feels like we were promised something that was supposed to be exciting and instead, we were given whatever you had in your pocket at the time - a half eaten lollipop, some gum wrappers, and some lint.

A hopeful player,

MasterKestis