Question: Was Thrawn ever on the Death Star?

TheRealNickEZ
684 posts Member
edited August 2020
Just noticed we’re prolly going to be fighting Empire units in the next Galactic Challenge... with Bounty Hunters...
Got me thinking... was Thrawn ever on the Death Star?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• avihas
    247 posts Member
    Thrawn knew about the death star but as far as know it- he never set foot on it.
    It is important to know that the DS was operational jvery shortly before it's destruction, when Thrawn was already deep into the Lothal campain.
    Right before Thrawn went to Lothal he found out about DS and asked Palpatine about it, but there are no indication that after palpatine assured Thrawn his people the Chiss are not the DS's target, that Palpatine let Thrawn visit the unfinished DS
  • Thrawn and Tarkin were rivals, as Thrawn openly campaigned against the Death Star. He believed funding was better suited for tie defenders. I don’t specifically remember Thrawn being on the Death Star, and I cant imagine Tarkin would have let him anywhere near it.
  • Wasn't Thrawn lost in hyperspace with Ezra before the death star was operational?
  • Snowbird13 wrote: »
    Wasn't Thrawn lost in hyperspace with Ezra before the death star was operational?

Yes BUT the DS was under construction for a long time. There is room in the timeline for Thrawn to have made a visit during construction.

Since he was very high up in the military hierarchy, I would assume he did at some point just for information and knowledge; Thrawn was big on intel and I think he would want to go boots on the ground before making a final decision about such a huge undertaking. But I have not seen it happen in any of the stories I have read.
  • The closest I remember Thrawn coming into contact with the Death Star was hunting down missing shipments at one of the drop points, but that was early on.
  • Thrawn and Tarkin were rivals, as Thrawn openly campaigned against the Death Star. He believed funding was better suited for tie defenders. I don’t specifically remember Thrawn being on the Death Star, and I cant imagine Tarkin would have let him anywhere near it.

Not exactly... at that time, Krennic was the rival in regard to financial support for either project. Tarkin pulled his political strings and made sure that however things would turn out in the end, he would be the winner either way. That's part of what happens in the book "Treason". He took over the responsibility and prestige for the Death Star by outsmarting Krennic and getting rid on him in the end (> Rogue One) .

As for the original question, like it's been said before, it's nowhere said or written that Thrawn ever went directly to the Death Star construction place. But he also wasn't just told about it because of his rank. He found out some things about it before he received the official information, through his own investigations. Not many people were actually supposed to know at that time what "Project Stardust" would really be.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    It was still under construction when he disappeared with Ezra.

He may have known about the project, but he likely didn't visit the station.