Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• @kyno my man,in every single poll the gear crunch is Number 1 every single time,do we rly need to give feedback anymore?
    Where are the big bottlenecks relieved,stun guns-carbantis-cuffs?I wont mention kyros couse i find those ok rly.
  • After a few days, my impressions are... Pointless. It's just not fun
  • ImaSmakya wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Vi1teran_ wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I think CG's "recommended" algorithm is based on their TW matchmaking algorithm. Just a guess.
    Nah, it's likely just a function of your GP. If you're above X GP, but below Y, you're recommended for Tier Z.

If they're going to do that, then they ought to set a conditional that only calculates the GP of your faction-based characters. I've got strong Resistance and Galactic Republic teams, and my GP is high, so it says I should be at T7. But if it was lookong only at my relevant characters, Sith in this case, it'd be lower.
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.
    An example, from my understanding, look at something like assault battles.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....

So you think it's helpful to critique others opinions as opposed to just giving your own. That helps stop the toxic environment.
    Yes, it's helpful. It's helpful because I also gave my own feedback. And because people who are reading these threads but tired of the endless Lucky Pierre daisy chain going on of complaining about everything like seeing people tell you all to stick it.

So if I don't like parts of the event and give that feedback I'm just complaining and should stick it?

Look at the person who posted above you. Do that. That's feedback.

"Thanks, I hate it" isn't feedback. That's showboating for cheap heat.

Pointing out its an exhibition also doesnt help fix it either.

It does when people are judging this like it's in its final state. Haven't you ever worked on a project before? Never been part of a focus group?

Might want to do a little research on what a focus group is.

Merriam-Webster : focus group
    : a small group of people whose response to something (such as a new product or a politician's image) is studied to determine the response that can be expected from a larger population.

Ah, the dictionary.... The last bastion of anyone who can't count past ten without taking off their shoes...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    As far as I know, other than asking for feedback, there is nothing about gathering it that would require a response.

Not responding to individual pieces of feedback is the entire point of gathering that feedback. If you start responding to it, then the thread stops being about people's reactions to the event and instead becomes people's reactions to your responses.

I used to be a core tester for an MMO ages ago. The devs would ask for feedback, then not post in the thread after that point because the minute they posted anything it ended the feedback. Replies became either about how you were wrong and your data is wrong or whining about "why did you reply to them and not to me?" But behind the scenes that information was being collected and used for improvements to events, dungeons, and classes.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • my feedback on this is 7 days is too long. But 2 days may even be too long- 1 day is probably where it should land. Adjust the rewards, and give players something useful on some of the lower tiers. This way people who don't have Relics on the suggested character modifiers can still pick up some cuffs, carbs or phasers. Even if it's only a couple a day. And the T6 and T7 prizes for the veterans who may already have the squads needed (or are very close) will add up quickly enough.

This isn't a terrible gamemode, but the 7 day period and the pretty terrible rewards up to T6 is what is bothering most people. This would be an ideal time to address the community @CG_SBCrumb and let people know that useful feedback is what you're looking for. Because this community regularly feels ignored, and many people are probably assuming they will be ignored again.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    I think CG's "recommended" algorithm is based on their TW matchmaking algorithm. Just a guess.
    Nah, it's likely just a function of your GP. If you're above X GP, but below Y, you're recommended for Tier Z.

If they're going to do that, then they ought to set a conditional that only calculates the GP of your faction-based characters. I've got strong Resistance and Galactic Republic teams, and my GP is high, so it says I should be at T7. But if it was lookong only at my relevant characters, Sith in this case, it'd be lower.
    Nauros wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.
    An example, from my understanding, look at something like assault battles.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....

So you think it's helpful to critique others opinions as opposed to just giving your own. That helps stop the toxic environment.
    Yes, it's helpful. It's helpful because I also gave my own feedback. And because people who are reading these threads but tired of the endless Lucky Pierre daisy chain going on of complaining about everything like seeing people tell you all to stick it.

So if I don't like parts of the event and give that feedback I'm just complaining and should stick it?

Look at the person who posted above you. Do that. That's feedback.

"Thanks, I hate it" isn't feedback. That's showboating for cheap heat.

Pointing out its an exhibition also doesnt help fix it either.

It does when people are judging this like it's in its final state. Haven't you ever worked on a project before? Never been part of a focus group?

Might want to do a little research on what a focus group is.

Merriam-Webster : focus group
    : a small group of people whose response to something (such as a new product or a politician's image) is studied to determine the response that can be expected from a larger population.

Ah, the dictionary.... The last bastion of anyone who can't count past ten without taking off their shoes...

Last I checked the dictionary had little to do with counting regardless of how high you wanted to go, but you do you.

Perhaps you would like to explain how this is anything like a focus group then?
    How does the entire swgoh playerbase in any way imply focus?

https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • I gotta say I'm really hoping that CG takes the feedback seriously. But I'm still hoping that future GL events, if they ever happen, will take those criticisms into account as well so maybe I am just too hopeful.

But as things are the criticisms should have been obvious prior to release just as they should have been with the GL. Which doesn't bode well.

That said I really do hope that the negativity we're feeling is a passing thing and CG will step up and if they can't make it fun make it rewarding at least.

• The next one is coming, and it’s bounty hunters vs empire. I did not notice with the first one (sith vs separatists), but with the second one coming, I must say I find the themes of fighting allied factions each other weird. If it is not apparent even after these two, think of a galactic challenge where rebels fight jedi, or resistance fights rebels. All thematic content of the game considered actual allegiences of the SW universe before, and I’m confused as to why suddenly Galactic Challenges not simply ignores, but straight flips those and puts allied factions against each other.
  • Today a veteran Player end Friend in real life gave up due to another CG bad event. Thanks a lot Dev, well done...
  • Galactic Challenge events keep the game fresh and engaging by offering interesting and unique encounters that feature always-changing combinations of modifiers, locations, and feats, along with multiple tiers of difficulty and associated rewards.

When I read that, I was thinking that there were more than one modifier for global, player and enemy and that each would change with each battle. I was disappointed with that part of it, because it reads like the combination is always changing and that gives the replayability.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Galactic Challenge events keep the game fresh and engaging by offering interesting and unique encounters that feature always-changing combinations of modifiers, locations, and feats, along with multiple tiers of difficulty and associated rewards.

When I read that, I was thinking that there were more than one modifier for global, player and enemy and that each would change with each battle. I was disappointed with that part of it, because it reads like the combination is always changing and that gives the replayability.

There is still hope, please keep in mind they have stated some of these elements are limited due to it being an exhibition:
    Exhibition Season
    There are a whole host of aspects we will be gathering your feedback on when we launch the trial run of Galactic Challenges next week. Does seven days feel too long? Is two days not enough time to complete these types of events? Does this event create a compelling puzzle for your roster? There are a few elements we already know we want to expand and the event tool was designed with this flexibility in mind. We are initially starting with a limited number of Feats, Modifiers and locations to ensure a clean release of the feature but we are planning to expand these areas in the future.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234286/state-of-the-galaxy-august-08-07-2020#latest
  • My feedback is this

4. This event should have repeatable rewards. I think shards For brand new characters would be cool. Example: tier 5= 5 shards for sniper droid every time you beat the tier.

I had the same thought, but what's to stop people from just repeating the event 66 times to go from 0 to 330 shards? They would need to limit it in some way.
    They could increase the difficulty of that tier, slightly, until you can no longer beat it but then I think it defeats their goal of being notably repeatable.
    They could limit to only being able to use the same character once, similar to in GAC and TW. This would be interesting if you could still play it over with any character but just get the rewards for beating it with new ones. This would meet the "puzzle" aspect with how many times can you beat each tier without repeats.
    Option 3 that I can think of is limit it by days. If the GC is 7 days, you can only do it once each day. If this was the only way to get the sniper droid, for example, and sepratists showed up every 6 weeks or so, it would still take a while to get the character to 7* so it would not be outside of reason on their part and we have a goal.
    No matter what, that's one thing I'd like to see more of. Character shards. 1 and 2 just feels completely meaningless. It's like when they had the pack for the JK Luke event with 12 Wampa shards, iirc. You can only get Wampa shards in increments of 5, so what good do those 2 extra do? What good does 2 extra shards do to a new player? Not much. 5 is better but not crazy and is the norm.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Dagonsith wrote: »
    I gotta say I'm really hoping that CG takes the feedback seriously. But I'm still hoping that future GL events, if they ever happen, will take those criticisms into account as well so maybe I am just too hopeful.

But as things are the criticisms should have been obvious prior to release just as they should have been with the GL. Which doesn't bode well.
    This is the part that concerns me the most about the request for feedback - and why I think many long-time players feel the request is a bit (or a lot) disingenuous.

CG has the data - they understand the gear crunch and know exactly how many players have 5 R3 and 5 R5 Sith. And that's why they relic-locked all the best rewards. They know everyone needs the Kyrotech gear for numerous characters.

The frustrating thing as a player, is that they also know many players are conscientious about relic-ing up too many "unnecessary" toons, as that hurts them in GAC and TW. So creating events that either encourage or reward poor roster development seems....odd at best. In the past, gear/relic requirements were reserved only for unlocking new and/or powerful characters via their events (Malak, Revan, JKL, etc.) or shards via TB (Wat and KAM). Now this artificial gate has been put up for events that have nothing to do with characters.

GS relic requirements are also contrary to the spirit of the game - which is to theory craft ways to win that are efficient, not ways that simply require high gear/high relic characters - that's the opposite of "fresh and engaging...offering interesting and unique encounters" or "creating a compelling puzzle for your roster". And no, relic requirements are not "cheater checks" - otherwise they would exist in tier 1, 2 and 3 assault battles.

TL;DR - if you truly want feedback, drop the relic requirement walls - they're against the spirit of the game and serve no practical purpose. Let the event difficulty vs. player's ability to theory craft determine the "walls".

That said, I don't think CG really wants feedback - at least not to make any meaningful changes to the aspects of the mode which most players care about. Most of the feedback provided should have already been crystal clear prior to the release of the event. Unless CG really thinks players suddenly enjoy weak rewards and gear/relic walls.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • With the release of the Galactic Challenge, it proved to me that this game has reached its limits. I don’t know this comes from the base code of the game or the limitations of the developers’ imagination, I just see that I haven't seen really new content in a long time. Almost everyone was excited during the development of the Galactic Challenge hoping we'll finaly get a really new and fresh content - which was promised!, - but it hasn't happened. We just got a new load screen and some modifiers but nothing new. You want to change the handmade events to this automatic event type but it is very lazy. The modifiers and the feats can't achieve the effect of playing something new. Not at all... The rewards are subject to change but what about the whole environment? There is nothing new.
    Still 5 toons fight against 5 or 6 AI enemies with different gear level.
    Sandstorm? What sandstorm? Don't write it, show me the sandstorm during the battle.
    What about the "new technology" built in the code? Show me cutsceens or any new thing.
    Please show me anything what I haven't seen before.
    Or just leave us alone and allow us to play against our guild mates.

What do you think? Has the game reached its limits or this is what always been all they knew?

(Kyno please don't merge this with the Galactic Challenge post)
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Well said.
  • GC reponse...

"we are grateful and have heard your wonderful feedback about our new and exciting game mode. We take your feedback very seriously and have listened. As a result we are making changes to the Galactic Challenges and making it a 6 day event and not 7. Good luck heroes, see you at the tables!" .

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    agree, except for the reaching limits part
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    That said, I don't think CG really wants feedback - at least not to make any meaningful changes to the aspects of the mode which most players care about. Most of the feedback provided should have already been crystal clear prior to the release of the event. Unless CG really thinks players suddenly enjoy weak rewards and gear/relic walls.

This is why i respond the way i do to this event. The feedback i gave or have to give is nothing their volumes of data shouldnt have already told them before launch.

Launching into a makeshift beta/exhibition with the structure they did shows ignorance on their part and is a bad way to do things.

Had they really wanted feedback to be helpful, they wouldnt have included two mk1 stun guns as a reward in tier 7 feats.

Example:
    I currently have only kam and jkl not unlocked, perhaps i need 10 mk1 stungun for them.... otherwise noone in my roster needs that gear. Why is it rewarded on a node with r5 gating? I can get them super easy with energy.... why include them at all?

Its things like that which hurt the credibility of the event and developer as that should have never made it to an exhibition test.
  • The rewards for feats are tickets, you build up enough tickets and you can buy a legendary challenge fight "card" or "map" that you can load into the Galactic Challenge "content machine". By completing the feats for regular galactic challenges schedule you will earn these tickets instead of current low level gear rewards.

Completing that legendary map you saved for grants a bigger chest of rewards. something that average player can earn once or twice a month (like territory battles).

Have a list of randomly generated maps in a "map store" just like the mod store does. we buy them with the tickets we earn from feats.

Say you can use credits or something like that to reroll mods on the "map" making it easier or harder to get the rewards by changing the modifers. (this would be a good crystal sink also)

This idea is inspired loosely by "Path of Exile" mapping system.
  • It makes me sad that a game I have inveated 5 years in is so far gone that the only thing that keeps me logging in every day is my guild. I love those guys but even those bonds will not keep me here forever. It is just starting to feel like a chore. Which is too bad. I still play every day and I miss swgoh. Because this is not the game I fell in love with. I keep hanging around and hoping. But I'm losing Faith quickly. Please CG we are begging you. Give us a reason to log in and play every day. We WANT to, but you are making it harder every day.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    The rewards for feats are tickets, you build up enough tickets and you can buy a legendary challenge fight "card" or "map" that you can load into the Galactic Challenge "content machine". By completing the feats for regular galactic challenges schedule you will earn these tickets instead of current low level gear rewards.

Completing that legendary map you saved for grants a bigger chest of rewards. something that average player can earn once or twice a month (like territory battles).

Have a list of randomly generated maps in a "map store" just like the mod store does. we buy them with the tickets we earn from feats.

Say you can use credits or something like that to reroll mods on the "map" making it easier or harder to get the rewards by changing the modifers. (this would be a good crystal sink also)

This idea is inspired loosely by "Path of Exile" mapping system.

Or just wait for PoE mobile...
  • My roster : https://swgoh.gg/p/885697558/
    - Best team : GAS and clones with Relic 5-7
    - Best Sith are G12 : Palp, DV, BSF, DR and Dooku, Malak is only G9

Fun :
    Not really fun. Always the same fight, and the 4 first Tiers are done in auto (with G12 Siths, I think with better Siths, you can auto Tiers 5 or 6 also). Droid Sniper is frustrating, when you starts the fight with one less toon, as it has already been one-shot.

Modifiers :
    They add something to the fight, but for me it doesn't change a lot for Tiers 1-5, and it makes last Tiers really hard.
    I personally don't like the actual player "bonus" : To get it you have to play with Sith AND it gives a bonus only when a Sith dies. The opponent bonus, is far more powerful.

Rewards :
    Of course I'd prefer Mk5 Stun Guns or other bottleneck gear, but as long as GC don't replace existing events, it's something we have in bonus (Don 't look a gift horse in the mouth). But with the actual reward structure, I'll not gear a toon specifically for the event, and I'll not spend hours to try to succeed.

Duration :
    I only tested 7 days so far, but it's too long for me. I think 2 days are enough.

Conclusion :
    Not what I expected, not fun, not really challenging (challenging only if you have the right toons at relic level).

Propositions :
    • When a player finish a Tier, give him directly the rewards form lower Tiers (if not already earned), playing them is not fun and just takes time.
    • Try to balance the player and enemy bonus.
    • Give the main rewards to succeed on the Tiers itself. Imo, feats should be bonus rewards, and not the better ones.
    • Maybe add a new currency for rewards, so the user can choose the rewards he needs (and if this is done, please add Stun Guns and Kyrotech in the new shop)
    • Find another way to make fights challenging than insta-kills and preloaded TM
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Csharpmao wrote: »

[*] Find another way to make fights challenging than insta-kills and preloaded TM
    [/list]

This needs to be feedback on every event in this game.

Insta kill and preloaded TM are by far the lamest way to create challenge. Its not challenge at all its making the other team have an advantage the player can never overcome except by gearing to survive or playing down a character.

CG stop that now.

In fact when you finish changes here, go fix that in assault battles.
  • Do other companies put out “exhibition” modes like this? MSF, etc.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    IronCross wrote: »
    Do other companies put out “exhibition” modes like this? MSF, etc.

No. So far they keep things like this to beta.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    IronCross wrote: »

do the communities of other games ask for open betas? (this one has, quite a few times)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

[*] Find another way to make fights challenging than insta-kills and preloaded TM
    [/list]

Insta kill and preloaded TM are by far the lamest way to create challenge. Its not challenge at all its making the other team have an advantage the player can never overcome except by gearing to survive or playing down a character.

CG stop that now.

just one clarification, not that it is a huge difference but we should keep in mind that sniper droid gets a bonus turn not preloaded TM.

so we can't overcome it, but we can..... gearing tanks or other characters to survive, is a strategy. I will agree that having to restart a few times because he can ignore taunt kind of breaks the point of a pretaunting tank (which is strategy too), is not great game play and thats the part that could be changed.
  • IronCross wrote: »

No. Other companies are actually competent.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited August 2020

[/list]

CG stop that now.

just one clarification, not that it is a huge difference but we should keep in mind that sniper droid gets a bonus turn not preloaded TM.

so we can't overcome it, but we can..... gearing tanks or other characters to survive, is a strategy. I will agree that having to restart a few times because he can ignore taunt kind of breaks the point of a pretaunting tank (which is strategy too), is not great game play and thats the part that could be changed.

Ignores taunt is obly ab issue due to the delete of r7 characters. And thats my point: if my requirement is a r5 character, taunting tank or not, i dont expect a r7 to be deleted with one shot.

To be honest, i dont expect an r5 to be deleted either