What is with these matchups?

Holy Cow! Can we PLEASE stop getting matched with guilds that outgun us by 30 mil GP!?! This is becoming a morale issue and ˋwhy bother‘... just sign up for TW, don’t bother after deploying because once again we are getting outgunned by 30 mil average

Replies

• After reviewing similar complaints, our main issue about mismatches is this; How can the enemy possibly deploy more g13s than we have, deploy 4+ GL to our zero, and still have the powder to one shot our best squads? We’re not talking about low enrollment either, were looking at 45 of us enlist. It’s obvious to us that there is a broken bias in in the match making algorithms.
  • Rckhnd wrote: »
    After reviewing similar complaints, our main issue about mismatches is this; How can the enemy possibly deploy more g13s than we have, deploy 4+ GL to our zero, and still have the powder to one shot our best squads? We’re not talking about low enrollment either, were looking at 45 of us enlist. It’s obvious to us that there is a broken bias in in the match making algorithms.
    They likely know their PvP counters really well
  • It’s not like we’re a bunch of knuckleheads who don’t know how to use Discord and bots. I’ve been in this game since day one of the unveiling and remember it being single player. I get there are brilliant players out there, but sheer dumb luck would eventually match us against an equal or lesser guild. This is not random, we quit counting after ten major lopsided matches. A buddy of mine who plays with coding offered me that taking global guilds and making matches worldwide in less than 5 minutes would be a tremendously difficult feat.
    This current TW is a Russian guild or some Cyrillic language guild that we can’t even track in swgoh.gg
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    How many defensive positions were set? I know you said you had 45 players, but how many did they have join?
    Rckhnd wrote: »
    It’s not like we’re a bunch of knuckleheads who don’t know how to use Discord and bots. I’ve been in this game since day one of the unveiling and remember it being single player. I get there are brilliant players out there, but sheer dumb luck would eventually match us against an equal or lesser guild. This is not random, we quit counting after ten major lopsided matches. A buddy of mine who plays with coding offered me that taking global guilds and making matches worldwide in less than 5 minutes would be a tremendously difficult feat.
    This current TW is a Russian guild or some Cyrillic language guild that we can’t even track in swgoh.gg

It matches based on pure numbers, if, for example, members of your guild have bad mods, or rosters developed for TW, then that would reduce the likelihood of you feeling like you have a equal matchup.

Your friend is correct, matchmaking on a global scale in 5 minutes would be difficult, but there are many factors involved that would make me question that statement:

Global.... yes and no. Sure TW is for all guilds, but since they use GP values to do matchmaking, the first step to that would be to make smaller groups, since something like the bottom 1/3 have no interaction with the top 1/3 (as an example), so they can do much of the matchmaking in parallel, not looking at the entire global group.

Where the guild is from has no bearing on anything. Were you able to pull a bot to examine the guilds without being able to track them on SWGOH.gg?
  • Tip for the Cyrillic thing. Open Google translate, enter the text in there and it will give you a literal traslation - put that into your Google search and you should find them
  • jueu3dm0bohs.png
    7f47hrp8l7pa.png
  • I use google translate, had to use the phone camera because I could not enter the characters. It translated as ‘banana slide force’ . We could not use any bots on this guild because they were not identifiable to us in game or any other resource we have. Still, regardless of how many people enlist, mods, whatever..... the guilds we get in english are still seriously OP in comparison to us. Just tired of all the lame excuses for seriously mismatched TWs. Like I said, I’m an original gamer on this from day one, though I have swapped guilds a time or two. This is just lopsided, mods or not, and a very frustrating issue to deal with when all matches favor the opponent by 20-30+mil gp.
  • Clearly, this issue is not resolvable as I see it goes back several years, oh well.... L8r
  • chuckrambo
    85 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    This was the guild you fought against https://swgoh.gg/g/41010/bananovaia-storona-sily/

I just typed the same letters on an online cyrillic keyboard then pasted them in a Google search after "swgoh"

Translates to Banana Power Slide - not that this info helps you much :smile:
  • Here we go again Boo Boo....yjgyk1sxdey9.jpeg
    qnjwerkz9af7.jpeg
  • They are casual, your active, your guild gps are not something you can compare on gg as they only have 7 profiles..

Have you run a bot to compare gls etc? Or are you just complaining over gp differences?

As they say they are casual, you reckon they will be stuffed of r7 reys/slkr and gas? I’m not so certain..
  • Rckhnd
    45 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    You mean like this guild matchup? Silly me, they outgun us by 37 mil gp and have Legendaries and we have none, guess silly ol me doesn’t know any better....

3frdgenv7z63.jpeg
    jma6sye08txg.jpeg
    You mean like this guild matchup? Silly me, they outgun us by 37 mil gp and have Legendaries and we have none, guess silly ol me doesn’t know any better....

3frdgenv7z63.jpeg
    jma6sye08txg.jpeg
    Couple of queries:

1) did you win the last one?

2) can you please start telling us how many of the opposing guild sign up? You keep posting a total GP complaint, despite several people telling you that you are matched on signed up GP.

To help with 2), if you have 46 sign up from your guild, but there are only 19 slots to fill in each zone, that means the opposing guild only had 37 or 38 people sign up.

I’m not saying your matchups are fair, by the way, just that the reason you are quoting for them being unfair (total GP) is not accurate.
  • Rckhnd
    45 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    We did in fact win the last one because they did not attack, however, the one before that we were hit with 2 SLKR and 3 Rey. By all the ‘logic and reasoning’ I see here we are just stupid, don’t understand how things work, just complain.... well yeah, I’m complaining that no matter how we progress, we always seem to get matched against guilds that have higher gp, more 13s, more relics, and we have had several battles where we got to be up close and personal with Legendaries. So, no matter how you try to rationalize this, things are wrong. Why don’t you joining us for a few TWs and maybe you can edjumicate us unintelligent gelflings who can’t understand the concept of why getting slaughtered by legendaries is okay, when we have none.

Really getting tired of these pompous self inflated egos who try to explain the imbalances. This is like trying to pick up a t*rd by the clean end, it just doesn’t wash.

Do you really think it matters how many sign up against us when we go 21 battles against SLKR and can’t touch it? We live on different planets my friend.
  • My apologies, I don’t mean to be snarky, just frustrated
    My apologies, I don’t mean to be snarky, just frustrated
    You don’t say!

I’m not trying to rationalise it. I’m trying to explain how matchmaking works. I’m still not convinced you understand - but I don’t doubt you’re getting bad matchups.

Have a look at your TW banner count. Do you have people signing up and not contributing at all?

The biggest bit of advice I can give you, whilst the matchmaking remains as it is just now, is to consider making TW optional in your guild.

Not ideal, especially if your whole guild are active and keen, but it might rekindle your joy. But it might produce positive results more rapidly than waiting for the devs to change matchmaking.
  • We had passenger issues like every guild, but we give them a couple of warnings before the boot.
    I’m trying to rationalize it like this: you and I are matched individually. We both have 3.5 gp, however, you have way more 13s than I do, but I have one or two legendaries and you don’t, so gp wise that brings us on a similar level with gp. We ran into some legendaries in a past TW, but they had fewer players than we did who enlisted. So even though we outnumbered them, they won simply by having legendaries that we could not drop.

This TW just ended, we again lost, but it felt like more of a fair fight, so I have no issues with that. I understand matches are not based on guild GP, but rather more towards the GP of those who enlisted. But if 45 of 50 on our side enlist, and only 10 opposition enlist who have 2 legendaries, they will win simply by parking the show stoppers in the 1st Column
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    This TW just ended, we again lost, but it felt like more of a fair fight, so I have no issues with that. I understand matches are not based on guild GP, but rather more towards the GP of those who enlisted. But if 45 of 50 on our side enlist, and only 10 opposition enlist who have 2 legendaries, they will win simply by parking the show stoppers in the 1st Column

A guild needs at least 25 sign-ups to participate in TW. If less members sign up, they don't get to play the TW.

You do know, that there are NON-GL counters to GLs, right?

It looks like you need to cut the deadweight. Ask your guildies to not sign up for TW unless the participate actively. If they don't contribute actively to your TW, they will hurt your chances to win.

• Waqui wrote: »

A guild needs at least 25 sign-ups to participate in TW. If less members sign up, they don't get to play the TW.

You do know, that there are NON-GL counters to GLs, right?

It looks like you need to cut the deadweight. Ask your guildies to not sign up for TW unless the participate actively. If they don't contribute actively to your TW, they will hurt your chances to win.
    This is my advice too. Since our guild made TW optional, with participation the only requirement for signing up, we have won 90% of TWs.

I will accept that sometimes the matchmaking gives us an opponent that is not at our level. But usually, whenever this happens, we see a guild with:

- poor participation (very few attacks after 12 hrs for instance)
    - Poor discipline (TM loading on several failed attacks)
    - Poor execution (people struggling to clear a Carth led OR zone for example)
    - Poor leadership (members showing up, burning their whole roster clearing 5 teams in one zone then never attacking again)

I accept the matchmaking is flawed, and occasionally guilds are given an impossible matchup. But guilds can be doing a lot to help themselves rather than just carrying on as normal hoping the devs make a change.
  • In a previous guild we had the opposite problem of winning the majority. But of course, who’s gonna complain?
    So many benevolent responses about sign ups (really? Ya think?) about counters, about participation levels.... good gawd people, do you think you are the only adults in the room?

The matchups are broken, or at least heavily flawed. There is no way on earth that we are the smallest, weakest, under participating bunch of slackers or passengers out here.... the ‘benevolence’ is nauseating.

We are still being outgunned by guild, by ‘average player gp’, numbers of 13s and legendaries....but hey, there’s a plausible reason for losing all but one TW over the past 8-9 months...

Just done with this thread and the high brow responses.
    In a previous guild we had the opposite problem of winning the majority. But of course, who’s gonna complain?
    So many benevolent responses about sign ups (really? Ya think?) about counters, about participation levels.... good gawd people, do you think you are the only adults in the room?

The matchups are broken, or at least heavily flawed. There is no way on earth that we are the smallest, weakest, under participating bunch of slackers or passengers out here.... the ‘benevolence’ is nauseating.

We are still being outgunned by guild, by ‘average player gp’, numbers of 13s and legendaries....but hey, there’s a plausible reason for losing all but one TW over the past 8-9 months...

Just done with this thread and the high brow responses.
    Ok buddy. Just trying to help, because there are literally hundreds of threads complaining about this and nothing has changed as a result of any of them.

Sorry for making you nauseated. Good luck in future TWs.
  • I just really wish they would update there logic on TW matchmaking to include GL's; 1 vs 21 GL's this round.. Any guess which guild got massacred?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    baited wrote: »
    I just really wish they would update there logic on TW matchmaking to include GL's; 1 vs 21 GL's this round.. Any guess which guild got massacred?

The one that should get more GLs?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Liklik113 wrote: »
    I believe the minimum amount of people for sign up at a particular gp level should go up to around 40. For eg if u are a guild 180 mil plus u must have 40 people sign up. It will stop the sandbagging stuff that is happening. My guild has it this tw. We are a 180 mil guild going up against a 230 mil guild. That shouldn't happen. Yes they have less people sign up but that is their advantage because the game takes their numbers into account so less placement. Its totally unfair. @CG_SBCrumb . This is very discouraging. Oh and before some **** says 'well maybe your complaining coz your gonna lose. All u guys do is complain coz u lost" ..**** our guild is 103-3 in tw.

Unfortunately players cant always play and not forcing joining was one of the best moves they made when introducing this game mode for that exact reason.

They absolutely should look into this and make some changes, I dont think that is the one they should make.

Always resorting to calling it sandbagging like it's an intentional action is not helpful to the conversation, and you should always strive to be accurate int the description of the events. You have never had a 180v230, because that's not how the matchmaking works. The matches have been based on the GP of the players who join, and those numbers are very close.
  • BlackBart
    156 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the point was limit yourself to facts instead of saying statements you now admit were misleading (your 180 mil gp was not matched up against 230 mil gp), The factual statement would be that your 180 mil gp was matched against 180 mil gp of a 230 mil gp which gives them a higher average gp and by logical extension a much better chance of having top end, top relic squads which can only be beaten by a very small number of possible squads. And players at a lower average gp are less likely to have the required characters at the required gear level to match up.

And avoid going into unprovable conjecture on motivations. And lastly when coming up with solutions try to find one that is better then the current as opposed to one that is just as bad but hoses a different group of players. These kind of statements and ideas cause you to lose support and not be taken seriously. And TW matchmaking does have some legit issues that lots of people would love to see addressed. So instead try it like this:

Matchmaking based purely on signed up gp is not as even as it appears on the surface. In an extreme example 50 3 mil gp rosters sign up = 180 mil gp. They potentially could be matched up against 25 6 mil gp rosters =180 mil gp. This matchup will not be even as those 6 mil point rosters will have a much higher proportion of top end, high relic teams. And high end, high relic teams can't be beaten by throwing millions of random gp at them. This creates very lopsided and not enjoyable Territory Wars.

An idea that could alleviate this is to use a two layer matchmaking system. First use the current matchmaking system to break guilds into their gp brackets. Then run a second matchmaking within each bracket to match by enrolled player count. This way matchups will be very similar in total gp and average gp per player.

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Liklik113 wrote: »
    Well i tried to reply but apparantly i cant even put capitals in the forums as it gets taken down.

It only gets taken down if you use ALL capitals.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH