Shouldn't isolate on vendor chewy prevent revives?

Its_not_a_moon
1306 posts Member
edited September 2020
Just killed zallbar but he got revived even though I had isolate on vender chewy in TW, is that working as intended?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Vandor
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Can't be revived is only from Raid Boss Traya. Playable Traya does not prevent revives.
  • Can't be revived is only from Raid Boss Traya. Playable Traya does not prevent revives.

but that revive is on the person who is isolated, hes talking about killing someone else but having the isolated character still revive them passively
  • Isolate is unfortunately inconsistent. Technically, according to the description, isolate only prevents allies from gaining positive effects during the isolated characters turn. Since Z didn’t die during Chewie’s turn, I assume, it is working as described. But there are (or at least were) several cases of isolate blocking uniques even when they occur out of turn. The devs said these were consistent with the intention of isolate. But then there are other things, such as this revive, that aren’t blocked. I remember going through various scenarios and laying out the inconsistencies back when Traya was arena meta. I’ve long since forgotten what these specific cases are.

When it comes to ability descriptions like this, unfortunately the only thing CG is consistent with is that they are consistently inconsistent.
  • Isolate states : "Can't gain buffs; can't attack or gain positive effects out of turn; allies can't attack or gain positive effects during this unit's turn"

In this case Zalbaar died during an enemy turn and VanChew was the target of Isolate so there was nothing in the description of Isolate that could have blocked the revive as neither Zalbaar was the target nor it was VanChew's turn.
    If Zalbaar had been the target I think it would have worked like Isolate on Sion having Hatred : he couldn only revive on his own turn.
    Isolate blocks Daka's revive ability as it is used on her own turn.
    Isolate doesn't block Zombies' ally auto-revive for the same reason it doesn't block VanChew's

I see no inconstitency
  • Merailla
    89 posts Member
    edited September 2020
  • Vendor Chewy [sic] gets a store employee discount on Isolate. :D
  • Miketo28
    204 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Wouldn't receiving a revive be considered a positive effect?

Vandor's unique allows allies to be revived, which is a positive effect. Hence, being isolated should prevent that positive effect from being activated.

I agree with OP on this.
  • Miketo28 wrote: »
    Wouldn't receiving a revive be considered a positive effect?

Vandor's unique allows allies to be revived, which is a positive effect. Hence, being isolated should prevent that positive effect from being activated.

I agree with OP on this.

Read the ability again.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    "Isolate: Can't gain buffs; can't attack or gain positive effects out of turn; allies can't attack or gain positive effects during this unit's turn"

Vandor can't do A or B, Allies can't do C or D.

Him passively reviving someone outside of his turn is WAI. Not A, B, C, or D.

Isolated Daka reviving Allies needs it to be HER turn. Hence why it's blocked. It meets D.

Isolated Sion w/Hatred dying and not reviving is WAI, it's him gaining a passive effect outside of HIS turn. It meets B.

@Its_not_a_moon next time Isolate Zaalbar. Then it will WAI in your favour. He'll die and stay dead because it meets B.