Which Meta to chase

I thought I had things figured out but with the new announcement of GM Luke and EEP, I don't know if I should change my path.
I have been working on getting the characters needed and gearing them up for GAS. I'm not quite ready, I know. My hope was to get GAS and get his clones in a better spot than they are at, start running him in arena etc. Also works for fleet arena teams as well. Not shown is that after this next TB, I'll have enough currency to unlock the negotiator but for reference, I'll also have enough that I could, if I wanted 7* wampa as I've been saving for GAS and anyone who thinks JK Luke won't be needed for GM luke is kidding themselves. I also will have ARC trooper finished within the next week or two based on how many shards I have and sims a day. I've been avoiding the GLs as I specifically thought I had way more time before the next batch (like, roughly they'd get announced in Dec. again) and while the GLs themselves are great, I don't feel I have enough of the rest of the roster to not kill myself in GAC. I'm not trying to be the best in every mode, but I do want to push myself to be better where I can.
I'm not F2P but I'm also not spending a whole lot. Mostly just buy extra crystals for extra energy for farming. My guild is running DS Geo and LS Hoth TB at the moment, (21/44 stars respectively) but is discussing going to LS Geo soon.
So, advice on what to do at this point. Thanks.
A) I could keep my current plan, keep gearing up and relicing those needed for GAS because that'll bring in extra crystals (in theory) and etc. but I feel I'll just move up in arena to move back down when the new GLs hit.
B ) put a spending freeze of my gear and materials and try to jump on one of the GLs when the time comes (this could be any of the 4 after the new ones are released) just need to farm the characters
C)Abandon GAS and start farming for one of the new or old GLs.
D)some other option that someone with more experience will see.
https://swgoh.gg/p/688571611/

Replies

• LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Ever thought of going using Padme and GR in arena?? I would stick to going after GAS unless you really want to drive yourself crazy or poor.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Ever thought of going using Padme and GR in arena?? I would stick to going after GAS unless you really want to drive yourself crazy or poor.

So, I have. Right now, Padme teams around me in my shard are all relic'd to 3-5ish for most of the characters. It seems to me that if I were to spend the time and relic characters, it would be more worth my while to wait and do GAS/what is necessary to get GAS. Especially since I'm able to hold on to where I'm at in arena. If you still think that's worth trying, then, perhaps I will. Don't have a whole lot to lose. If I did switch to Padme now, what team comp would you suggest for me? Padme, JKA, and GK I'm sure would be in there. With Ahsoka and 3PO both at g11, would they be better or 3PO and GMY or Ahsoka and GMY? I currently see more GMY than 3PO in arena.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    If you don't have GAS yet, I wouldn't worry about GLs at all.

GL requirements are so steep and take so long to fulfill that skipping easier legends/heroes in order to get one can actually hold you back in some ways.

Also, the GAS event is like, the opposite of fun. Prepare yourself to do a lot of mod juggling in order to clear it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• OK, thanks to both of you. I appreciate the feedback. @Jarvind You're stating what I thought would be the case with just hurting myself. So I get that. I think I'll finish up working on GAS, get his team solid, then get a few other teams in a better place prior to going for a GL.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    C) After looking at your roster, you need to Gear up 12 characters at least to g12, around half of them to g13/relic. I'm counting requirements+the 501st clones you would need with gas. For a couple characters more, but for a lot more relics, you could unlock a meta toon that can drive you all the way to the top 20/50 of your Arena and keep you there for a while, giving you some sweet crystals daily.
    Wait 4 to 6 weeks to see full requirements, then take your pick of a gl. It's a looong farm (4-6 months from the 'progress' topic), but if you want a gl one day, you'll have to do it sooner or later :(
  • Just need to gear up Sith Empire Trooper, and that should help you climb in the arena in the short term. DR teams generally beat JKR teams, like the one you are running now. As for GAS, he is a good toon, but really needs to be R5+ to compete. The G12 501st team is ok, but not great. Currently, my non ultimate GL Rey team wipes the floor with full R7 501st teams. I would assume GL Kylo teams do the same since the top of my arena are all GL's right now. A few DR teams, but they are DR, Malak, Bast, Thrawn and GBA all with very high speeds.

A GL will take you a long time to accomplish, but will be best for arena in the long run. Who knows what the two new ones will be like. I would guess one or both will require JKLS. If you can only pick one of current ones, I would probably suggest Kylo, but I haven't unlocked him yet. He seems better overall from what I have read.

As for ships, I would pick Malevolence over Negotiator if you haven't started on either. 5* Malevolence can take out 7* Negotiator. Lots of videos out there on team compositions and how to run the battles.
  • @AM2Rainman

I hate to say it, but ditch GAS for now.

Arena is important, but it's not as important as HSTR. I calculated out the benefits of having SLKR in terms of the crystal cost to buy the gear you receive by being able to solo HSTR.

It comes out to 580 crystals/day averaged over the long haul, and that's with conservative assumptions such as missing 1/2 the raids because you weren't available when the raid started or whatever. If you were religious about showing up for every Sith raid, that number would double to 1160/day.

The max you can get in crystals for #1 in arena daily is 500. Even if you fell in arena to 19,999th place, you still wouldn't miss enough Arena income to make up for the advantage in Raid income.

Don't get GAS. Don't get a new GL. Get SLKR.

Once you have SLKR, then every farm you will ever have to do - for GAS, or SEE or the 2 Jedi Lukes or whatever - becomes MUCH easier.

If you get GAS first and then go for a GL, the GL will be just as hard to get then as it is now.

If you get SLKR first and then go for GAS and JKL and other GLs, those future efforts will be quicker and easier.

Let yourself fall in Arena to 499 if you have to (though I don't think you'll have to). Get SLKR and don't look back.

I went with GL Rey and I regret my choice all the time.

The math is simple and clear: SLKR benefits you far more than any other character currently in the game. FAR more.

Now, you might have other reasons to do something else, but you didn't talk about anything other than Arena and Arena income. If you have a sentimental attachment to Rey, or if your guild is demanding you perform better in LS Geo TB, or if you just have to have Ki Adi Mundi (who requires relic clones, so you might as well get GAS to go with them) you can do something else.

If you interested in getting better in the game though, there's simply no comparison. SLKR is the only choice unless and until either SEE or JMLS is confirmed to also solo the HSTR raid.

If I were you I'd start working on the FO requirements right now, but if you have a sentimental attachment to Luke or the Emperor you could also just start collecting the gear but hoarding it until after other people have had a chance to test the new GLs and give you information on them.

Whatever you do, don't go for GAS, JKL, or GL Rey until you've done SLKR first.
  • @MasterSeedy So placing #1 in the raid, is the measurement. So, the quickest to #1 would be the plan. Wouldn't that mean going after the Shaak Ti/Clones team that can do 100mil on the HSTR raid? Nobody in my guild has a GL. Maybe 3 people have said they're going for SLKR and 1 or 2 for just Rey. Only a few GAS. We're still doing LS Hoth TB but are talking about switching. I'm against it based on where we're at but that's a different conversation. So, wouldn't it make the most sense to do Clones/Shaak Ti (just enough to get a top rank in the raid) then GAS, then SLKR?
  • @AM2Rainman
    So, wouldn't it make the most sense to do Clones/Shaak Ti (just enough to get a top rank in the raid) then GAS, then SLKR?

If you're not locked out of the top 3 spots with ST/501st then sure. As soon as you get 5 or 6 SLKRs in your guild, you'll be locked out since there will always be 3 participating in any given raid.

My calculations assumed that people were mostly getting in the top 4-10 but were taking turns achieving a top 3 finish where fully crafted Right-Side g12+ pieces drop with some regularity (1 every 2-3 times you score in the top3, which means one in every 6-10 raids if you're one of 10 people taking turns in the top 3).

100M is fantastic, of course, but you still get beat out every time by a solo, so the number of SLKRs would be crucial to the decision.

Hard to say, really depends on how many SLKRs you expect in your guild and how soon you expect them.

But yes, HSTR is by far the best source of all the crucial gear you need to make your next farm easier. If you can score top3 (getting #1 isn't any better, the gear box is the same) it doesn't matter how you score top 3.

It's also true that you obviously need fewer toons for that squad than for getting SLKR.

I just don't know. I didn't realize your guild is still in the place that it is.

I guess knowing this I would say go ahead and max out ST/501st both for HSTR and for the KAM mission (once y'all start doing LS Geo) and then check your guild mates to see how many are going for SLKR and how far along they are. At that point you can either push hard for SLKR and guarantee you stay competitive in HSTR forever (you can't do better than a solo, even if more efficient teams come along) or, if you're going to stay competitive for another 6 months even without SLKR, go for GAS first and SLKR 2nd.

...and, of course, this is neglecting the possibility that SEE or JMLS can solo HSTR. If one (or both) can solo the raid, then feel free to choose whichever one of them appeals to you for other reasons since, as I said, if you can solo the raid with a character it doesn't matter if it's pretty or efficient. There are no rewards for style. If you are gearing up ST/501st right now, then there might be time to wait for results of the new GLs to hit the internet before you have to make a final decision on a particular toon.
  • AM2Rainman wrote: »
    @MasterSeedy So placing #1 in the raid, is the measurement. So, the quickest to #1 would be the plan. Wouldn't that mean going after the Shaak Ti/Clones team that can do 100mil on the HSTR raid? Nobody in my guild has a GL. Maybe 3 people have said they're going for SLKR and 1 or 2 for just Rey. Only a few GAS. We're still doing LS Hoth TB but are talking about switching. I'm against it based on where we're at but that's a different conversation. So, wouldn't it make the most sense to do Clones/Shaak Ti (just enough to get a top rank in the raid) then GAS, then SLKR?

Switching to geo would have a good benefit if you got wat out of it in the next couple of months you have everything else needed for a good rey counter. I use vader, thrawn, darth revan, dark Bastilla, and a g11 wat for my climb every day and take top 10.

Vader is also needed for the new emperor and it is likely thrawn will be as well so gearing them is definitely needed in the case of vader and likely so in the case of thrawn.
    @MasterSeedy So placing #1 in the raid, is the measurement. So, the quickest to #1 would be the plan. Wouldn't that mean going after the Shaak Ti/Clones team that can do 100mil on the HSTR raid? Nobody in my guild has a GL. Maybe 3 people have said they're going for SLKR and 1 or 2 for just Rey. Only a few GAS. We're still doing LS Hoth TB but are talking about switching. I'm against it based on where we're at but that's a different conversation. So, wouldn't it make the most sense to do Clones/Shaak Ti (just enough to get a top rank in the raid) then GAS, then SLKR?

Switching to geo would have a good benefit if you got wat out of it in the next couple of months you have everything else needed for a good rey counter. I use vader, thrawn, darth revan, dark Bastilla, and a g11 wat for my climb every day and take top 10.

Vader is also needed for the new emperor and it is likely thrawn will be as well so gearing them is definitely needed in the case of vader and likely so in the case of thrawn.

How many refreshes do you need and how far do you fall in between? I currently have 25 Wat shards and last TB we got 15. We've been increasing how many we get fairly rapidly. I would anticipate 20 this time and so in 2 months, I'd like to think I'll have him unlocked. With how my guild is and how we're progressing, I'd say likely a year until he's 7*.
    AM2Rainman wrote: »

How many refreshes do you need and how far do you fall in between? I currently have 25 Wat shards and last TB we got 15. We've been increasing how many we get fairly rapidly. I would anticipate 20 this time and so in 2 months, I'd like to think I'll have him unlocked. With how my guild is and how we're progressing, I'd say likely a year until he's 7*.

Most days just one refresh. On bad days 2. I fall anywhere from the 20s to the 60s most days. Sometimes further. But that's the nature of running a counter team.

If I fall below the 30s I have to take out gas teams. I use darth revan with raid han to stun rex for those if that happens. But you have the characters for that as well if needed.

I actually prefer to fight the gl Rey teams though. It is much more consistent with the right modding. I get an almost 100% win rate against Rey. If they also have wat and gk in the team, you need traya or malak in your team to get around GM's permanent taunt.
  • I currently have 25 Wat shards and last TB we got 15. We've been increasing how many we get fairly rapidly. I would anticipate 20 this time and so in 2 months, I'd like to think I'll have him unlocked. With how my guild is and how we're progressing, I'd say likely a year until he's 7*.

The main thing is just that he survives long enough to get off at least 2 pieces of Tech. A combo of speed, tenacity (to prevent being ability blocked or stunned out of your chance to upgrade your allies) and survivability is all you need.

I'd guess that 5 stars is good enough.

Also, just so you know, if you got 15 this time and you're thinking that you'll finish in 1 year, that means a smooth increase of 1.5 shards/month from 15 shards/month now to 34 shards/month 12 months from now. I think it's likely that your Wat shard haul will increase more than 1.5 shards/month - at least on average.

It does take a long time (minimum 6 months from where you are now if you were getting 50 shards/month), but I think you'll get it done in significantly less than a year. Subtract out 100 shards to hit the 6 star target quoted above, and 6 or 7 months is possible, if not probable.

You can do this.
  • I currently have 25 Wat shards and last TB we got 15. We've been increasing how many we get fairly rapidly. I would anticipate 20 this time and so in 2 months, I'd like to think I'll have him unlocked. With how my guild is and how we're progressing, I'd say likely a year until he's 7*.

The main thing is just that he survives long enough to get off at least 2 pieces of Tech. A combo of speed, tenacity (to prevent being ability blocked or stunned out of your chance to upgrade your allies) and survivability is all you need.

I'd guess that 5 stars is good enough.

Also, just so you know, if you got 15 this time and you're thinking that you'll finish in 1 year, that means a smooth increase of 1.5 shards/month from 15 shards/month now to 34 shards/month 12 months from now. I think it's likely that your Wat shard haul will increase more than 1.5 shards/month - at least on average.

It does take a long time (minimum 6 months from where you are now if you were getting 50 shards/month), but I think you'll get it done in significantly less than a year. Subtract out 100 shards to hit the 6 star target quoted above, and 6 or 7 months is possible, if not probable.

You can do this.

It is definitely possible to do it at 5 star. I started using this team immediately after unlocking him at 5 star and g8.

Mine is now 6 star and g11.

With the zeta, he will always go first and you put the weapons tech on vader. That's really all you need him for. The other techs are nice to have but not really needed. But between fracture on Rey and fear on everyone else from Darth revan and dark Bastilla, most of the time they are down to a couple of characters before they get another turn other than Rey's opening move.
  • Here's some screenshots of how it goes. This was the Rey team that was in 2and on my shard. They only took two turns and the 2nd was just waiting for gk to take a turn so the dmg immunity would wear off. So as you can see in this situation wat's gear level isn't all that important.

I had a video too but it wouldn't let me upload it.
  • Also, just so you know, if you got 15 this time and you're thinking that you'll finish in 1 year, that means a smooth increase of 1.5 shards/month from 15 shards/month now to 34 shards/month 12 months from now. I think it's likely that your Wat shard haul will increase more than 1.5 shards/month - at least on average.

I get you. I agree that it could be possible to have him at 7* in 6 months, but only about 80% of the guild has or is gearing up Geos for Wat. We've been having roughly 90-95% success rate of those who attempt, although that does include people who attempted and were not quite ready, so I'd say we'd have 30 coming in steady by the end of the year and 35 in a month or two after that but it'll likely plateau there. So far 12 attempts this go round but we do stay 2 days in the character sections of zone 3 and have a few who always do their missions last minute. Don't know why. Bugs the green space cow milk out of me. The 1 year was really just a rough estimate. 10 months. A year. For today's purposes, it's all the same. This game is a war on attrition, in a sense. I get it. Currently 33 full geo teams in the guild but the gear is only G12 or better on about 18. G11+ is closer to 25. In the fullness of time.
    All that said, to get to 5*, if we assume an increase of 5 for now and capping at 35, 45 after this TB, 70 after next, 100, 135, 170. So, in Dec/Jan (depending on when the TBs hit) Wat would be 5* and that allows some fluff for not actually making the target goal. Also ran the numbers and the worst that can be done and achieve 5* wat in the same time would be 18 this time and only increasing by 3 each TB which is a reasonable possibility.
    @DarkHelmet1138 How does that team do with a Padme team? I'm currently in a sea of Padmes and while I can beat some of them, I need to be selective so I'd need to get past them as well.

I get you. I agree that it could be possible to have him at 7* in 6 months, but only about 80% of the guild has or is gearing up Geos for Wat. We've been having roughly 90-95% success rate of those who attempt, although that does include people who attempted and were not quite ready, so I'd say we'd have 30 coming in steady by the end of the year and 35 in a month or two after that but it'll likely plateau there. So far 12 attempts this go round but we do stay 2 days in the character sections of zone 3 and have a few who always do their missions last minute. Don't know why. Bugs the green space cow milk out of me. The 1 year was really just a rough estimate. 10 months. A year. For today's purposes, it's all the same. This game is a war on attrition, in a sense. I get it. Currently 33 full geo teams in the guild but the gear is only G12 or better on about 18. G11+ is closer to 25. In the fullness of time.
    All that said, to get to 5*, if we assume an increase of 5 for now and capping at 35, 45 after this TB, 70 after next, 100, 135, 170. So, in Dec/Jan (depending on when the TBs hit) Wat would be 5* and that allows some fluff for not actually making the target goal. Also ran the numbers and the worst that can be done and achieve 5* wat in the same time would be 18 this time and only increasing by 3 each TB which is a reasonable possibility.
    @DarkHelmet1138 How does that team do with a Padme team? I'm currently in a sea of Padmes and while I can beat some of them, I need to be selective so I'd need to get past them as well.

Not all that great. Anakin's bonus turn interferes with Vader's merciless and then it goes to crap. Unfortunately with the weapons mod it is really hard to keep vader from knocking someone below 50% even on his basic.

But luckily that is a pretty easy fix. I just take wat out and run the rest of the team under an ep lead and it works fine. Though, there is only one padme team in our top 50. It is reliced and has good mods so it should work against othe padme teams.

I think the ep turn meter train makes the difference against padme. And Vader's damage is less so you don't give anakin a bonus turn as easily. You can have padme fractured and fear spread by the time you do.

You may be able to get it to work with this team if you play it differently but switching ep in is much easier.
  • @MasterSeedy Well, I spoke too soon. I thought there was more time, but over the weekend one person unlocked SLKR. Someone also unlocked Rey but that matters less. First two guild GLs, one of each in one weekend. I guess that means it's time to start gearing up my FO. I'll at least gear up the FO characters so I can beat the Finalizer bonus tier as I've struggled beating it the last couple times. Haven't tried today yet. After that I'll probably hoard for a while and raise their gear levels in chuncks followed by their relics in chunks. Some good spread sheets out there on what you need to get from g13 to whatever relic is necessary for each respective character. Thank you for your help and perspective. Without uprooting my current shard farms too badly, I'll be 3-4 months away from Red with one refresh a day. Him and FOX are the only ones not at 7* so that's nice.
    I feel like you raised the best point of all and that's the HSTR which really put this in perspective. I know it's got to be better than GAC rewards, without doing a deep dive into the possible rewards for both. I don't miss most raids so even if you assume there's only 3 of us, once the time comes, I'll get the equivalent of nearly 400 crystals per day, by your math and does not include .
    Not sure how I feel about this. Future me will find out though.
    @MasterSeedy Well, I spoke too soon. I thought there was more time, but over the weekend one person unlocked SLKR. Someone also unlocked Rey but that matters less. First two guild GLs, one of each in one weekend. I guess that means it's time to start gearing up my FO. I'll at least gear up the FO characters so I can beat the Finalizer bonus tier as I've struggled beating it the last couple times. Haven't tried today yet. After that I'll probably hoard for a while and raise their gear levels in chuncks followed by their relics in chunks. Some good spread sheets out there on what you need to get from g13 to whatever relic is necessary for each respective character. Thank you for your help and perspective. Without uprooting my current shard farms too badly, I'll be 3-4 months away from Red with one refresh a day. Him and FOX are the only ones not at 7* so that's nice.
    I feel like you raised the best point of all and that's the HSTR which really put this in perspective. I know it's got to be better than GAC rewards, without doing a deep dive into the possible rewards for both. I don't miss most raids so even if you assume there's only 3 of us, once the time comes, I'll get the equivalent of nearly 400 crystals per day, by your math and does not include .
    Not sure how I feel about this. Future me will find out though.

That is also assuming another solo team doesn't raise in the mean time.

I'm personally going for gl ep next since I have sith in pretty good shape and my fo are still trash. I don't have gas yet but have most characters ready but with the get darn needed to make him useful there is no hurry since he wouldn't be useful for months even if his event returned today.

But as far as the raid, I'm guessing gl ep would also be able to solo the raid if he does comparable dmg to slkr.
  • Good luck, @AM2Rainman

I really hope it all works out for you.

Me, I'm in the position of waiting desperately for the Jedi Luke event. I'm all ready and now working on my KAM team. Hope KAM ends up being worth it. But I only need to take 2 toons to relic for the KAM mission, so I may as well get that done before starting another major quest.