New Character shard drop rates

Replies

• MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    First of all you are the doubter, we are just in a position of knowledge that stems from huuuuge amount of data of everything. How many characters you farm doesn't matter all that much, the amount of samples you gather does.

Of course it's better to keep track of each toon seperately to see if there's any significant variation in between them. Forget about 35/85s and times those dropped etc. Just put down how many attempts you do vs. how many shards dropped on every character.
  • dcbfan wrote: »
    dcbfan wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    The drop rate for shards on any node is 33%.

You can track your data to prove this out. Thia has been done by many players to prove this is the drop rate.

I will track it this but if it doesnt start dropping at 100% drop rate soon. There is no way this will be averaged to a 33% drop rate. Right now it's at a 7% drop rate.

I would like to see the data of this so called 33% drop rate. I still believe CG limits the dropmrate on new characters to 5% or less. That is why it takes 6 months to farm a character.

That’s not how RNG or averages work. Each sim has a 33% chance for a shard. It doesn’t matter if you do 1 or 500 sims at once, each one is still 33%. So there’s still a chance to get 0/500.

Also, search the forums and find out how many people have the same self-described issue and then read all the same answers that are on this thread. Or search for that one page that has literally millions of documented sims that show the shard drop rate is around 33%.

You’ll be fine. 5 sims a day will take a long time. That’s how it works for everybody.

I'm not complaining about drop rates. I just asked if drop rates for newer characters are the same as for older. So far my experience has been to let a character sit for 6 months then farm. You will get that farm done quicker then if you started on day one. You may be done first if you farm on days 1. But if take you 6 months to farm starting day 1 and only takes you 4 months if you wait 6 months. Then you obviously got a better drop rate. I have yet to see stats on someone doing a brand new character farm from F2P day 1 and let's say Farm Boy Luke. If the same resources are spent on both. Starting those farms as of today, I say you get FBL 7* first. If someone has those stats then please show them to me. The drop rates arent the same. Newer characters have poorer drop rates then characters that have been in the game longer.

Sure sounds like a complaint. And it’s not true. New toons have the same drop rate as old toon. If i farm a toon from 0 to 7* faster than you it’s just simply blind luck because our drop rates are the same. The stats are out there if you look. There’s been literally millions of sims charted, both new and old toons. Not to mention you’re ignoring the people in this very thread that have a “better” drop rate than you on Chewie/3po. Confirmation bias is a real thing. It’s luck of the draw.

And you are farming too many toons at one time, that makes things go so much slower for each toon. It’s better to spend 1 refresh for 25 crystals and farm 1 toon for 10 sims than 2 toons for 5 sims.
  • 5c8n7q8ucxm5.jpeg

You aren't special. You aren't unique. CG doesn't care about you that they're going to lower your drop rates. Now get over your narcissistic self and quit complaining about your bad luck.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
    Jppc wrote: »
    All right I will keep track and write everything down. How many characters do I need to farm for you all to stop trying to call out my stats? I'm currently farming Mando, Cara, Greef, Geo BA, Poe, both Y wings, relic mats & some gear in ships. As soon as I'm done with BA it will be Chomo. Is that enough of a sample for all you doubter? Still guarantee that I will finish both BA (47 left) and all of Chomo (80 shards not activated) before even 1 of my newer characters are done. Chewpio at 5/3, Cara at 52/65, Greef at 0/85, Mando at 48/85, Poe at 138/25, BTL-B Ywing at 58/85, Rebel Ywing at 45/65. You have my numbers as of this moment 5pm pacific time all farming done for the day. Start my farming day at 11pm. With 5 Cara battles, 5 Poe battles, 3 relic battles, 5 Mando battles. Then at 11am I go with 5 Chewpio battles, 7 Geo BA battles, gear battles on ships. At 5pm is 4 BTL-B Ywing battles, 5 Rebel Ywing battles. At 8 pm just grab extra energy for the 11pm start. Now everyone knows my farming. Let's see where everything is when, let's say the first 7* character not BA is done. Then we can figure drop rates on older v newer characters.

You’ll need to take inconsideration how many attempts you do. In a 6 energy cantina node you will do more attempts than a 20 energy ship node. If you don’t refresh the node is obviously that the 6 energy toon in cantina will be 7* faster than the other, not because the drop rate is different but because you will simm more one than other

All character farm attempts are 5 except for BTL-B Ywing is only 4 attempts. Cantina farm is 7 attempts a day and will remain that all the way through Chomo farm.The 47 shards of BA and the 250 shard of Chomo leave me needing 297 shards. New characters are at 4 and 5 stars plus shards w/Chewpio only being at 3. I still say I get the 297 before I get any of the new to 7*.

With your pace ofc you'll get 297 before you get 276 and 275 respectively as your rate of farming for new ones are at 5 per day while cantina is at 7 per day (dunno why this is 7, you should be getting more free attempts). Just be sure to add in exact number of attempts vs. drops each time. "I do 5x everyday" is not convincing.
  • Can you imagine this thread if it was still the old school 3 sim torture? Man... Baze took me FOREVER to farm back then.
    Snowbird13 wrote: »
    Ok, if Chewpio has been F2P for 9 days that's 45 attempts. I have gotten 5 shards in 9 days. That's a 1 in 9 gets a shard. If I only get 5 shards every 9 day 45 attempts. 5 shards into 280 is 56. 56 times 9 equals is 504 days. At this rate it will take almost 1yr and half before 7 stars. If this is bad RNG then I must have really bad RNG luck. As far as GEO BA I do 7 attempts a day (112) and get at 3 shards a day. A lot of days i get 4 or 5. I will keep track of this and will update when Any of my new characters hit 7*. Currently farming Mando, Brood Alpha, Cara, Greef, both y wings and Chewpio. Bet I can 7* BA and my next cantina farm (Chomo) before any of the new characters get to 7.

You're farming too much. Spending the 25 crystals for one node refresh is well worth it.

Not in my shard. I place in arena average around 110. In ships around 55. That only gives me 75 gems a day plus the 95 guaranteed (depending on daily drop, could be 140). Guaranteed gems a day are 170. I farm characters, buy gear. Drop rate for gear 12+ suck worse then shard drop rates. My gems go to gear. Simple I dont refresh anything & I dont 600 tickets. I do only what my energy allows me to do.

Also, there’s a chart online that shows farming g12+ gear is more lucrative if you spend the 50 Crystal refreshes than buying outright. It was compiled over thousands upon thousands of gear sims. I used to buy g12 gear with crystals, too, but switched to spending the refreshes with my crystals and it’s going much better. I know you don’t have that kind of crystal income, but even doing a 50 refresh for energy and a 25 refresh on a node would help more in the long run.
    Ok, if Chewpio has been F2P for 9 days that's 45 attempts. I have gotten 5 shards in 9 days. That's a 1 in 9 gets a shard. If I only get 5 shards every 9 day 45 attempts. 5 shards into 280 is 56. 56 times 9 equals is 504 days. At this rate it will take almost 1yr and half before 7 stars. If this is bad RNG then I must have really bad RNG luck. As far as GEO BA I do 7 attempts a day (112) and get at 3 shards a day. A lot of days i get 4 or 5. I will keep track of this and will update when Any of my new characters hit 7*. Currently farming Mando, Brood Alpha, Cara, Greef, both y wings and Chewpio. Bet I can 7* BA and my next cantina farm (Chomo) before any of the new characters get to 7.

You're farming too much. Spending the 25 crystals for one node refresh is well worth it.

Not in my shard. I place in arena average around 110. In ships around 55. That only gives me 75 gems a day plus the 95 guaranteed (depending on daily drop, could be 140). Guaranteed gems a day are 170. I farm characters, buy gear. Drop rate for gear 12+ suck worse then shard drop rates. My gems go to gear. Simple I dont refresh anything & I dont 600 tickets. I do only what my energy allows me to do.

Also, there’s a chart online that shows farming g12+ gear is more lucrative if you spend the 50 Crystal refreshes than buying outright. It was compiled over thousands upon thousands of gear sims. I used to buy g12 gear with crystals, too, but switched to spending the refreshes with my crystals and it’s going much better. I know you don’t have that kind of crystal income, but even doing a 50 refresh for energy and a 25 refresh on a node would help more in the long run.

Now that maybe true. I never actually farmed gear 12 that way. Just going by shards though if the gear drops are the same I might get 1 piece every refresh. It would take 25 or 50 days to complete 1 gear 12 piece. Spending Crystal's gives me a full piece every 10 to 14 days. Just the way I always thought about it. To me it's much faster but I do admit I dont know about gear farming drop rates.

G12 drops I believe are less than shard drops. But relying on your “might get” feeling isn’t helping. Listening to the years and years of experienced, veteran players will.
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    All right I will keep track and write everything down. How many characters do I need to farm for you all to stop trying to call out my stats? I'm currently farming Mando, Cara, Greef, Geo BA, Poe, both Y wings, relic mats & some gear in ships. As soon as I'm done with BA it will be Chomo. Is that enough of a sample for all you doubter? Still guarantee that I will finish both BA (47 left) and all of Chomo (80 shards not activated) before even 1 of my newer characters are done. Chewpio at 5/3, Cara at 52/65, Greef at 0/85, Mando at 48/85, Poe at 138/25, BTL-B Ywing at 58/85, Rebel Ywing at 45/65. You have my numbers as of this moment 5pm pacific time all farming done for the day. Start my farming day at 11pm. With 5 Cara battles, 5 Poe battles, 3 relic battles, 5 Mando battles. Then at 11am I go with 5 Chewpio battles, 7 Geo BA battles, gear battles on ships. At 5pm is 4 BTL-B Ywing battles, 5 Rebel Ywing battles. At 8 pm just grab extra energy for the 11pm start. Now everyone knows my farming. Let's see where everything is when, let's say the first 7* character not BA is done. Then we can figure drop rates on older v newer characters.

You’ll need to take inconsideration how many attempts you do. In a 6 energy cantina node you will do more attempts than a 20 energy ship node. If you don’t refresh the node is obviously that the 6 energy toon in cantina will be 7* faster than the other, not because the drop rate is different but because you will simm more one than other

All character farm attempts are 5 except for BTL-B Ywing is only 4 attempts. Cantina farm is 7 attempts a day and will remain that all the way through Chomo farm.The 47 shards of BA and the 250 shard of Chomo leave me needing 297 shards. New characters are at 4 and 5 stars plus shards w/Chewpio only being at 3. I still say I get the 297 before I get any of the new to 7*.

With your pace ofc you'll get 297 before you get 276 and 275 respectively as your rate of farming for new ones are at 5 per day while cantina is at 7 per day (dunno why this is 7, you should be getting more free attempts). Just be sure to add in exact number of attempts vs. drops each time. "I do 5x everyday" is not convincing.

Ok if you really think that, I give you one better my Greef is at 5* 0/85 shards. Only needing 185 shards on him. I bet I get the 297 faster and done before I get the 185. Needing 115 shards more only doing 2 extra attempts. Please at the 33% everyone is talking those 2 attempt might equal 1 extra shard every 2 days. My theory is those 2 extra attempts gives me st least 1 shard extra everyday. Not because of the attempts but because of the stats that an older character shards drop more often.

Don't really care about the theory(it's actually a hypothesis) or which of your toons are at what state, what we need is how many attempts yields how many shards cumulatively or seperate for each of these toons. You are at 0/0, go!
  • Jppc wrote: »
    You don’t know about drop rate. Doesn’t matter if is shard or gear. That’s the point

Except people do. Proven time and time again by thousands and hundreds of thousands of tracked drops. Purple gear, gold gear, character shards. It's all been tracked. Far more than your measly 5+ toons over a few months. Your "gut feeling" doesn't match the data.

Guess what? That's not the data's fault.

• G12 drops I believe are less than shard drops. But relying on your “might get” feeling isn’t helping. Listening to the years and years of experienced, veteran players will.

Telling OP his 'might get' feeling isn't helping and listening to veteran players is the best, then telling him you 'believe' g12 drops are less than shard drops....That actually made me laugh. If all the 'veteran' players can offer is their belief how is that any more of a solid rationale than his?

• G12 drops I believe are less than shard drops. But relying on your “might get” feeling isn’t helping. Listening to the years and years of experienced, veteran players will.

Telling OP his 'might get' feeling isn't helping and listening to veteran players is the best, then telling him you 'believe' g12 drops are less than shard drops....That actually made me laugh. If all the 'veteran' players can offer is their belief how is that any more of a solid rationale than his?

I said “believe” because I don’t recall the actual data, not because it’s a feeling I have. But if you want to play semantics, that’s fine, that’s on you. G12 drop rates, gold and purple gear are 20%. An easy search would’ve provided you with the info but instead you chose to be snarky. That’s ok, too.

Ok if you really think that, I give you one better my Greef is at 5* 0/85 shards. Only needing 185 shards on him. I bet I get the 297 faster and done before I get the 185. Needing 115 shards more only doing 2 extra attempts. Please at the 33% everyone is talking those 2 attempt might equal 1 extra shard every 2 days. My theory is those 2 extra attempts gives me st least 1 shard extra everyday. Not because of the attempts but because of the stats that an older character shards drop more often.

Don't really care about the theory(it's actually a hypothesis) or which of your toons are at what state, what we need is how many attempts yields how many shards cumulatively or seperate for each of these toons. You are at 0/0, go!

Like I said I will update when 1 new character is at 7*. I already gave you how many attempts per day. How many days is the question? Like I said guarantee I get both older characters done before even 1 new character. If I'm wrong I will admit it. Right now it's not looking good either way for new characters.

This is not how tracking works. You will not remember if you miss a day or do other number of attempts. How many shards you got left till 7* or how many days it took is just as unimportant. You need to record number of attempts and number of drops that many attempts gave. Vague data is not data at all when it's entirely possible to record it in full. Superbly simple and easy.

G12 drops I believe are less than shard drops. But relying on your “might get” feeling isn’t helping. Listening to the years and years of experienced, veteran players will.

I said “believe” because I don’t recall the actual data, not because it’s a feeling I have. But if you want to play semantics, that’s fine, that’s on you. G12 drop rates, gold and purple gear are 20%. An easy search would’ve provided you with the info but instead you chose to be snarky. That’s ok, too.

I knew what you meant. At that drop rate mathematically your better off buying gear with gems. That's where the arguement gets lost. If you think about it. CG would not make it cheaper to farm gear then to buy with crystals. Buying crystals is how they make their money. Farming takes longer because CG wants you buy Crystal's to buy gear and shards. It's all business for CG and companies that make games like this.

Now if the drop rates were accumulative. Then yes farming would cost you less in the long run. I just dont see CG changing to 20% time 5 attempts equals 100% you will get one piece. That's why Carrie did away with chance for a zeta or 2 in ships. She just gave everyone 1. Why, cause some would get 6 in a week this way and other get none. I would rather have 1 zeta mat then a chance at maybe 2 or most likely none. This happens with double drops. I cant tell you how many time I have gotten 0 shards on a double drop day. Here again I would rather have 1 then none.

Yet another falsehood. It's not about the argument or -thinking about it-. It's about math. Different sorts of gear are way better when farmed and other are better when bought. All of these are well studied and calculated and supported by drop rate data.

I knew what you meant. At that drop rate mathematically your better off buying gear with gems. That's where the arguement gets lost. If you think about it. CG would not make it cheaper to farm gear then to buy with crystals. Buying crystals is how they make their money. Farming takes longer because CG wants you buy Crystal's to buy gear and shards. It's all business for CG and companies that make games like this.

Now if the drop rates were accumulative. Then yes farming would cost you less in the long run. I just dont see CG changing to 20% time 5 attempts equals 100% you will get one piece. That's why Carrie did away with chance for a zeta or 2 in ships. She just gave everyone 1. Why, cause some would get 6 in a week this way and other get none. I would rather have 1 zeta mat then a chance at maybe 2 or most likely none. This happens with double drops. I cant tell you how many time I have gotten 0 shards on a double drop day. Here again I would rather have 1 then none.

You’re not better off buying gear compared to farming it, even at that drop rate. I spend 150 crystals for fleet refreshes at my reset time, and I get about 40 sims (if you include my small amount of banked energy from the day before). But let’s look at 1 refresh. 1 refresh is 120 energy, with 20% drop rate, 12 sims for a g12 fleet node. 12*0.2 is 2.4 gear salvage average. 50/2.4 is 20.8 crystals per 1 salvage. If you buy it, it’s 875 per 25 salvage, or 35 crystals per 1 salvage. It’s more economical to farm. If you want pure speed, sure, go buy gear from the stores, that’s what whaling is for. Pay more to be better, faster. But regardless, farming costs less crystals, so you can bank them for whatever you want (like hoarding for a legendary toon or something). The trade off of saving crystals is time invested. It stops being more economical once you start spending crystals past the 50 cost refreshes, however.

You’re not better off buying gear compared to farming it, even at that drop rate. I spend 150 crystals for fleet refreshes at my reset time, and I get about 40 sims (if you include my small amount of banked energy from the day before). But let’s look at 1 refresh. 1 refresh is 120 energy, with 20% drop rate, 12 sims for a g12 fleet node. 12*0.2 is 2.4 gear salvage average. 50/2.4 is 20.8 crystals per 1 salvage. If you buy it, it’s 875 per 25 salvage, or 35 crystals per 1 salvage. It’s more economical to farm. If you want pure speed, sure, go buy gear from the stores, that’s what whaling is for. Pay more to be better, faster. But regardless, farming costs less crystals, so you can bank them for whatever you want (like hoarding for a legendary toon or something). The trade off of saving crystals is time invested. It stops being more economical once you start spending crystals past the 50 cost refreshes, however.

https://www.shatteredorder.com/gearguide

That’s better info, if you want to look at specifics.
  • Snowbird13 wrote: »

That really depends on your goals. I typically start farming many new characters without refreshes and multiple at once if they aren't needed for anything for awhile or if I won't have the gear to get them where I need them for awhile. Then if I need to I refresh if there is a hurry

For example, I'm farming mando and greed on fleet but not using crystals to refresh because my main focus is the new palp. I am using Crystals to finish off krenic and tie bomber and will dump a few hundred a day on piet when he's farmable.

On my alt, I'm farming several characters on hard nodes at once for revan and Darth revan. I started them while I was still focusing on Phoenix for thrawn because I knew they'd be needed and the farm without crystals takes a long time. But since I had to do hera an ezra on cantina, mission, t3, and canderous will likely be the bottleneck anyway. So sometimes it does make sense to slow farm.
    Kyno wrote: »
    The drop rate for shards on any node is 33%.

You can track your data to prove this out. Thia has been done by many players to prove this is the drop rate.

I will track it this but if it doesnt start dropping at 100% drop rate soon. There is no way this will be averaged to a 33% drop rate. Right now it's at a 7% drop rate.

I would like to see the data of this so called 33% drop rate. I still believe CG limits the dropmrate on new characters to 5% or less. That is why it takes 6 months to farm a character.

That’s not how RNG or averages work. Each sim has a 33% chance for a shard. It doesn’t matter if you do 1 or 500 sims at once, each one is still 33%. So there’s still a chance to get 0/500.

Also, search the forums and find out how many people have the same self-described issue and then read all the same answers that are on this thread. Or search for that one page that has literally millions of documented sims that show the shard drop rate is around 33%.

You’ll be fine. 5 sims a day will take a long time. That’s how it works for everybody.

I'm not complaining about drop rates. I just asked if drop rates for newer characters are the same as for older. So far my experience has been to let a character sit for 6 months then farm. You will get that farm done quicker then if you started on day one. You may be done first if you farm on days 1. But if take you 6 months to farm starting day 1 and only takes you 4 months if you wait 6 months. Then you obviously got a better drop rate. I have yet to see stats on someone doing a brand new character farm from F2P day 1 and let's say Farm Boy Luke. If the same resources are spent on both. Starting those farms as of today, I say you get FBL 7* first. If someone has those stats then please show them to me. The drop rates arent the same. Newer characters have poorer drop rates then characters that have been in the game longer.

Farmboy Luke is an 8 energy cantina farm. So you can do 20 tries with only free energy. So of course he'll be finished way faster than a single hard node with no refreshes.

That's a mistake even at bad drop rates, shards and gear both are cheaper to farm with the 50 energy refreshes. It takes longer but it is cheaper.

But I actually agree with you that 25 crystals to refresh nodes doesn't get you more stuff over a long period of time. But the energy refreshes do.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited September 2020

Not true. I'll use stun guns as an example. It's purple gear so we'll assume a 20% drop rate. So a 50 crystal refresh gives you 120 energy or 12 attempts. At a 20% drop rate that is an average of 2.4 shards per 50 crystals. Or 20.8 Crystal's per shard. So 50 salvage would cost 1041 crystals to farm this way. In shipments they are about 1300 for 50 so refreshes are cheaper. But after the 50 crystal refreshes are done, the stores are cheaper.

The tradeoff is it takes about 7 days to farm a stun gun with just farming and buying one with saved Crystal's gets it now.

I do buy gear with crystals but I typically do my 50 energy refreshes first and buy gear with extra stashed crystals.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    @dcbfan

Like people said, there is (are ?) hard data proving the 33% drop rate on character shards theory.

Maybe you're right in your theory. Maybe. But if you want to disprove the work done before you, understand that you need lots of data and a scientific approach to transform 'unlikely but possible' into a rule. In 6 months you'll have more info, as you said, and it will be something, but it won't be enough to call it a rule yet.

Unlikely doesn't mean impossible. I farm mando and greef at the same rate and greef is 20 shards ahead. You're probably just unlucky here. If your situation is a 1 to 100,000 chance... Well congrats, you're that guy ^^ People win lottery everyday with worst odds ;)