New Character shard drop rates

Replies

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    The point of the game is whatever you choose. There's no one way to play beacuse there's no way to "win".
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • @Snowbird13
    You're farming too much. Spending the 25 crystals for one node refresh is well worth it.

Nah. Depends on your crystal income and what your goal is. If you start farming 6 toons at once and someone else starts farming 2 of them, but paying for each node to be refreshed 2x/day, they'll both statistically expect to get the last toon to 7* on exactly the same day, but one player will spend 150 crystals per day & the other will get those same characters for free.

So the question is can you do more with 150 crystals/day x 170 days = 25,500 crystals or can you do more with getting those first 2 toons up to 7* a couple months early.

In most cases the farm won't affect your Arena or Raid income, and therefore in most cases you can do far more with 25,500 crystals.

You should still take the time to think about your overall strategy, of course, and to decide whether or not you could benefit in Arena or raids, but for most toons & ships the slow farm pays off better in the long run.

Honestly, except for Y-Wing (which gets 1x 25/day refresh) I'm not refreshing any farming nodes right now, and generally I only refresh nodes for toons now because I simply don't have enough nodes to farm to use up all my energy + I have a very healthy crystal income.

If I weren't succeeding in both arenas and running short of farms, refreshes would make very little sense.
  • @Snowbird13
    You're farming too much. Spending the 25 crystals for one node refresh is well worth it.

Nah. Depends on your crystal income and what your goal is. If you start farming 6 toons at once and someone else starts farming 2 of them, but paying for each node to be refreshed 2x/day, they'll both statistically expect to get the last toon to 7* on exactly the same day, but one player will spend 150 crystals per day & the other will get those same characters for free.

So the question is can you do more with 150 crystals/day x 170 days = 25,500 crystals or can you do more with getting those first 2 toons up to 7* a couple months early.

In most cases the farm won't affect your Arena or Raid income, and therefore in most cases you can do far more with 25,500 crystals.

You should still take the time to think about your overall strategy, of course, and to decide whether or not you could benefit in Arena or raids, but for most toons & ships the slow farm pays off better in the long run.

Honestly, except for Y-Wing (which gets 1x 25/day refresh) I'm not refreshing any farming nodes right now, and generally I only refresh nodes for toons now because I simply don't have enough nodes to farm to use up all my energy + I have a very healthy crystal income.

If I weren't succeeding in both arenas and running short of farms, refreshes would make very little sense.

Agree. I am refreshing krenic's nose right now and tie bombers node twice but usually don't refresh any.

I think getting the new gl as quickly as possible to stay at the top of arena. But for any other farms, I slow farm and will use excess energy for other farms or gear. The mandalorian characters or new ls marques just don't add enough to be worth farming quickly.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Like people said, there is (are ?) hard data proving the 33% drop rate on character shards theory.

American English: "There is data"
    Commonwealth English: "There are data"

Data is a whole bunch of individual datum. Commonwealth English refers to the individual datum, so it's plural, while American English refers to the final product, the data, so it's singular. It's like how Americans and the British refer to sports teams differently--but I can't remember how that works so don't mind me!

EDIT: I looked it up because it was bugging me. But, basically, in Commonwealth English you refer to a team as a plural, since they're referring to the players who make up the team. American English refers to teams singular, because we're referring to the one team. So if the US and UK were playing soccer in the World Cup, an American announcer would say "The US is advancing down the field" while a British announcer would say "The US are advancing down the pitch."
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Like people said, there is (are ?) hard data proving the 33% drop rate on character shards theory.

American English: "Is hard data"
    Commonwealth English: "are data"

Data is a whole bunch of individual datum. Commonwealth English refers to the individual datum, so it's plural, while American English refers to the final product, the data, so it's singular. It's like how Americans and the British refer to sports teams differently--but I can't remember how that works so don't mind me!

I’m a grammar nerd (Oxford comma for life) and did not know this. Thank you.
  • 45 attempts lol.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you

American English: "Is hard data"
    Commonwealth English: "are data"

I’m a grammar nerd (Oxford comma for life) and did not know this. Thank you.

I noticed it when watching hockey over an semi-legal streaming site and the announcers were British so I couldn't understand why they kept saying "Toronto are going to need to score some goals." It was SO ALIEN 😝
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.

American English: "There is data"
    Commonwealth English: "There are data"

EDIT: I looked it up because it was bugging me. But, basically, in Commonwealth English you refer to a team as a plural, since they're referring to the players who make up the team. American English refers to teams singular, because we're referring to the one team. So if the US and UK were playing soccer in the World Cup, an American announcer would say "The US is advancing down the field" while a British announcer would say "The US are advancing down the pitch."

Thx a bunch :)
  • Believe what you want but it seems to me that the new bright and shiny toons are always tough to get shards for. CG always puts them on a hard node and the best is when they double them up with some other garbage toon. I’ve been farming the tie bomber and the GRywing and I get plenty of Ima gun di but very few of the ships. Can someone say frustration marketing.

Existence of one thing on a node doesn't effect the drop rate of the other. You can always believe what you want instead of looking at the data ofc.
  • Believe what you want but it seems to me that the new bright and shiny toons are always tough to get shards for. CG always puts them on a hard node and the best is when they double them up with some other garbage toon. I’ve been farming the tie bomber and the GRywing and I get plenty of Ima gun di but very few of the ships. Can someone say frustration marketing.
    I can say "tinfoil hat". :D

I farmed the tie bomber from from 2/85 to 7 stars(got great drops on the galactic chase) and I was slightly over 33%. That includes the first two days when I went 1 for 30.
    Things I want to believe:
    - facts, genuine data

Things I don’t want to believe:
    - “seems to me”
    - “I get plenty of”
    - “Very few of”

Can someone say confirmation bias?

There are definitely days like that. It's really frustrating and I think putting Ima gundi on both of those makes the feeling worse.

But there are also days that you get 3 or 4 bomber shards and no ima shards. They just aren't as memorable since it isn't as irritating. It's easy to test though. Start tracking all the new stuff put on existing nodes with old useless characters. Track the number of tries and what you get of each. Over the long run the old and new should even out. If they don't after a statically significant sample you can prove it otherwise.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Anyone looking for an immediate and mathematical answer: Watch this before you complain about how you didn't get 33% of your ten pulls for the day
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgZQMJQRwRM
  • dcbfan wrote: »
    Ok if you really think that, I give you one better my Greef is at 5* 0/85 shards. Only needing 185 shards on him. I bet I get the 297 faster and done before I get the 185. Needing 115 shards more only doing 2 extra attempts. Please at the 33% everyone is talking those 2 attempt might equal 1 extra shard every 2 days. My theory is those 2 extra attempts gives me st least 1 shard extra everyday. Not because of the attempts but because of the stats that an older character shards drop more often.

My favorite part of this theory is that there is absolutely no math to support it. It is fundamentally flawed. Objective not clearly defined. Conclusion already made based on feelings, no data, and a flat refusal to even attempt to collect said data. The Earth is flat because I have decided it must be.

Just collect the data and you will see. Open a spreadsheet and do this:
    • In column A put the date.
    • In column B put the TOTAL number of attempts performed on that day
    • In column C put the TOTAL number of shards collected on that day due to the attempts recorded in B. Do not include shards purchased from shipments or other events like Galactic War or Assault Battles etc. etc.
    • Record the data every day and do NOT estimate the numbers, be objective, be scientific, be truthful.
    • When you are done collecting shards, sum all the entries in C and divide by the sum of all the entries in B.
    Yes it is tedious, yes it is boring, but it is the only way to prove your point. You will never get through peer review without a data table. This is the way.

After collecting all your data, PLEASE return and report your actual results. If you do find a rate different from ~33%, everyone here would be interested to see it. But you need to bring data!

People also complained about Shaak Ti drop rates a year ago so I did a bunch of tracking and guess what? 33.5% drop rate. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/213406/shaak-ti-shard-farming-253-755-33-5-7-update-bonus-droideka-xanadu-and-b1

New characters do not drop less frequently than old characters.

Ok if you really think that, I give you one better my Greef is at 5* 0/85 shards. Only needing 185 shards on him. I bet I get the 297 faster and done before I get the 185. Needing 115 shards more only doing 2 extra attempts. Please at the 33% everyone is talking those 2 attempt might equal 1 extra shard every 2 days. My theory is those 2 extra attempts gives me st least 1 shard extra everyday. Not because of the attempts but because of the stats that an older character shards drop more often.

My favorite part of this theory is that there is absolutely no math to support it. It is fundamentally flawed. Objective not clearly defined. Conclusion already made based on feelings, no data, and a flat refusal to even attempt to collect said data. The Earth is flat because I have decided it must be.

• In column C put the TOTAL number of shards collected on that day due to the attempts recorded in B. Do not include shards purchased from shipments or other events like Galactic War or Assault Battles etc. etc.
    • Record the data every day and do NOT estimate the numbers, be objective, be scientific, be truthful.
    • When you are done collecting shards, sum all the entries in C and divide by the sum of all the entries in B.
    Yes it is tedious, yes it is boring, but it is the only way to prove your point. You will never get through peer review without a data table. This is the way.

After collecting all your data, PLEASE return and report your actual results. If you do find a rate different from ~33%, everyone here would be interested to see it. But you need to bring data!

People also complained about Shaak Ti drop rates a year ago so I did a bunch of tracking and guess what? 33.5% drop rate. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/213406/shaak-ti-shard-farming-253-755-33-5-7-update-bonus-droideka-xanadu-and-b1

The op was a somewhat promising naysayer with some willingness to track it, but from the looks of it he/she will probably come with "I got x shards in y days, z finished before w" type of result in a few months. Open to be pleasantly surprised though.
    As far as 33% on each character that's the biggest darn lie yet I know CG to tell.

CG never said this, as far as I know. The players deduced this number by collecting data. Every time somebody decides to track it and calculate the drop rate, they get something very close to this.
    It is entirely possible the actual drop rate is something slightly different from 33% I have found my personal rates to be between 33%-39%, but in the end it is easier to accept the 1/3 rule of thumb: expect an AVERAGE of 1 shard for every 3 attempts.

I would add to do this specifically for each toon being farmed and not a collated total.
  • @EventineElessedil
    It is entirely possible the actual drop rate is something slightly different from 33% I have found my personal rates to be between 33%-39%, but in the end it is easier to accept the 1/3 rule of thumb: expect an AVERAGE of 1 shard for every 3 attempts.

I always expect a 30% drop rate, then if I'm under performing over the long haul, I'm not disappointed, but if I'm average I shave a few days or even a week or two (depending on attempts/day and how many shards I started out needing) off my target date. I never wan't to plan on something being finished by a particular date if that requires me being in the 50th %ile of drops.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    The thing that people don't realize is that while 33% is the average, it's actually a skewed distribution because the mean is below the midpoint, ie, 50%.
    So you are going to see more drops below 33% than above it-- it's just that occasionally you'll get some big drops to even it out.

So that can take a psychological toll--people come on here feeling that they are not getting 33% because most of the drops actually ARE below that. They just don't seem to notice the less seldom bigger drops--which is why it’s important to track the drops, so you can verify your longterm average drop rate before wasting crystals on shipments.
  • If we all know the drop rates are 33% then why is this still being debated?

Tinfoil hats is my guess.
    I would add that unexamined cognitive biases and a reliance on logical fallacies are why we still see threads about drop rates. Master Seedy pointed out in a similar thread that it's ordinary to question if something seems out of the ordinary ("did drop rates change, because I've noticed..."), and I would argue that it's human nature to fall into these biases; we simply don't have to be caught in these faulty mental shortcuts if we don't want to be trapped. People have already pointed out confirmation bias, and we are reading and arguing about fallacies to further the debate and attempt to educate (there's no ultimate need for me to add to this thread, but I'm doing it anyway). It's a kind of optimism I admire that people in this forum still take the time to help people how to see how to calculate actual drop rates. I simply don't believe that the original poster is going to change his, her, or their thinking without significant cognitive dissonance and a desire to grow.

As I always feel I risk being off topic the majority of the time, I will almost close with my statement that I believe there is no evidence that drop rates are different for newly released characters vs. older, available characters.

There's no need to rush. Take your time and wear the 0 drop days as a badge of honor, and either don't count the days or count it all 100% of the time (or trust the collected data). The "best" is the superlative too many chase and boast about. Happy farming!
  • Stryde wrote: »
    If we all know the drop rates are 33% then why is this still being debated?
    I would add that unexamined cognitive biases and a reliance on logical fallacies are why we still see threads about drop rates. Master Seedy pointed out in a similar thread that it's ordinary to question if something seems out of the ordinary ("did drop rates change, because I've noticed..."), and I would argue that it's human nature to fall into these biases; we simply don't have to be caught in these faulty mental shortcuts if we don't want to be trapped. People have already pointed out confirmation bias, and we are reading and arguing about fallacies to further the debate and attempt to educate (there's no ultimate need for me to add to this thread, but I'm doing it anyway). It's a kind of optimism I admire that people in this forum still take the time to help people how to see how to calculate actual drop rates. I simply don't believe that the original poster is going to change his, her, or their thinking without significant cognitive dissonance and a desire to grow.

As I always feel I risk being off topic the majority of the time, I will almost close with my statement that I believe there is no evidence that drop rates are different for newly released characters vs. older, available characters.

There's no need to rush. Take your time and wear the 0 drop days as a badge of honor, and either don't count the days or count it all 100% of the time (or trust the collected data). The "best" is the superlative too many chase and boast about. Happy farming!
    Great post.

I take 1 issue with it though: there is a need for posts like this on the forums, and the thread is improved because you posted in it.

Once upon a time, I came to the forums to find something out. I think it was about how on Earth I was supposed to obtain mk5 furnaces. People helped me, and I’m still enjoying the game 4 years later.

The forums have too many threads spouting blandishments about drop rates. Too many spurious claims about bugs that turn out to be just people not understanding kits and game mechanics. Too many posts complaining that a company isn't giving away for free things that people are willing to pay for.

The forums are improved when these posts are questioned, queried and called out. Whether those responsible for the posts like it or not.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    The forums are improved when these posts are questioned, queried and called out. Whether those responsible for the posts like it or not.

And those responsible for the post can learn something, if they're willing. That's awesome in my book ;)