Does B2 benefit from speed at all?

Astron_P
3 posts Member
edited September 2020
Going for potency, tenacity, survivability and perhaps some offense seems obvious but is it at all useful to go for a bit of speed on secondaries or should you avoid speed altogether?

I guess it would depend on how the 100% tm gain works exactly:

If this means that at whatever amount of tm you have at the moment relentless barrage tm gain kicks in, your tm bar is filled up to 100%tm and you start at 0 + your usual tm gain next turn, than speed would be of no use. Being slow, relentless barrage would trigger before you can make a regular turn.

If however the excess tm after gaining the 100% is added to your regular tm gain, speed would be useful.

Any thought?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Whenever a character takes a turn their TM resets to zero. He wouldn't go back to the TM he had before the turn provided by Relentless Barrage, or keep any excess created by it.
  • Okay that's a clear answer thanks, and if that's indeed the case, adding just a little bit of speed seems useless would you agree?
  • Astron_P wrote: »
    Okay that's a clear answer thanks, and if that's indeed the case, adding just a little bit of speed seems useless would you agree?

personally i agree. speed on B2 isnt all that needed since most of his TM comes from allies being hit, or missing attacks (love b1 attacknig a full foresight team for this reason). and some Tm comes from grievous lead.

i'd say one of the main stats you want on him are defense, with some tenacity. again under grievous his potency isnt an issue its mainly his survivability. However, if you run him under nute or other leaders then potency can be good
  • UdalCuain wrote: »
    Whenever a character takes a turn their TM resets to zero. He wouldn't go back to the TM he had before the turn provided by Relentless Barrage, or keep any excess created by it.

It's 100% turn meter not a bonus turn once he gains his 100% after that turn he is in 0 like everyone else, I don't think he will go back to his TM after his turn
  • Treeburner wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »

It's 100% turn meter not a bonus turn once he gains his 100% after that turn he is in 0 like everyone else, I don't think he will go back to his TM after his turn

Which is what I said?
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I certainly wouldn't put a speed set on him in favor of boosting something else, and maybe you could even forego the arrow in favor of offense or prot as well. I wouldn't say you need to aim for +0 speed (how many 0 speed mods do you keep, anyway?), as his 100% tm gain is only a 40% proc. Yes, if their team goes a lot or has foresight he can get it, but your allies being evaded or taking damage is generally a situation you want to avoid.

Speed will obviously help him get turns in between procs and also help get early turn advantage. Also, with the tm overflow changes, that means if their whole tm gets 100%, they could proc b2 on their first attack, but a slow b2 will still go last. Whereas a faster one could possibly get multiple turn procs and go a couple of times while they are still taking their turns. Speed is always good, unless you have a guaranteed tm loop.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't put a speed set on him in favor of boosting something else, and maybe you could even forego the arrow in favor of offense or prot as well.
    Arrow should be CA, not speed or anything else. You might want some secondary speed on your sets for the reasoning you gave with the cycling of turns, but B2's arrow should never be speed primary.
  • UdalCuain wrote: »
    Treeburner wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »

Which is what I said?

Miss read sorry .
  • The TM overflow change does make this a bit more murky, but still the answer is no.

And I disagree with the idea that you don't need potency on B2. Sure it will gain potency thanks to Grievous' lead but you also want that buff immunity up as quickly and as often as possible. I'm not saying you NEED a potency primary on the cross, but a bit extra across the board is very, very useful
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    B2 can benefit from speed but it's a rare RNG situation where it would happen, not likely enough to make it worthwhile to give it speed. With that said there's no drawback to having speed on it other than opportunity cost.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • The single biggest use for B2's speed is to power through Daze & other TM-gain stopping conditions (like Burning when facing a Jango lead, IIRC).

If you use B2 mainly on offense, this shouldn't be any problem at all. If you use it mainly on defense, then you're going to have to determine for yourself how often this might come into play. I think I have +60-something on mine, which is very low for one of my toons in an important squad (obviously there are toons that don't get regular use in TW/GAC/Whatever that pre modded less well, but trust me, for a front-line toon in my collection, +60 is slow).

I don't think I'd want to swap all that TM out for Offense or Crit Chance secondaries even if I could, but it's not bad to sacrifice a certain amount of speed to gain offense or CC% if you can get it.
  • The single biggest use for B2's speed is to power through Daze & other TM-gain stopping conditions (like Burning when facing a Jango lead, IIRC).

If you use B2 mainly on offense, this shouldn't be any problem at all. If you use it mainly on defense, then you're going to have to determine for yourself how often this might come into play. I think I have +60-something on mine, which is very low for one of my toons in an important squad (obviously there are toons that don't get regular use in TW/GAC/Whatever that pre modded less well, but trust me, for a front-line toon in my collection, +60 is slow).

I don't think I'd want to swap all that TM out for Offense or Crit Chance secondaries even if I could, but it's not bad to sacrifice a certain amount of speed to gain offense or CC% if you can get it.

I think this team does a ton of damage on it's own that you really don't need any offense on B2 at all. Even if you did load it up with offense you're still not really doing any damage anyway. B2 is in the team to debuff and pester everyone, and that can be done successfully without any damage done.

Can't argue with you on speed though. It's certainly useable in the daze scenarios and the team is arguably one of the elite defensive teams, so you should make it the best it can be
  • Even if you did load it up with offense you're still not really doing any damage anyway. B2 is in the team to debuff and pester everyone, and that can be done successfully without any damage done.

Sure, but you're getting your potency & survivability from from primaries & set bonuses, so when we're talking about trade offs at the end, I was thinking mostly speed vs. damage.
  • A well modded b2 will include a touch of potency, lots of protection and Tenacity.
  • No speed in the realm of not horrible opponents often means you need +70 to + 100 speed or your character Is not going to take a turn. Droideka and slow high tenacity Nest are the toons that you can not add speed to, and even then people often bring it to 180ish so it can have the +50% speed bringing it to around 270 just to get shield up quick.

Yes, the TM mechanics are there but they are not = win. Not once have I ever checked an opponent's B2 speed thinking my winning would hinge on it being slow. But if it was slow, I would like that
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    No speed in the realm of not horrible opponents often means you need +70 to + 100 speed or your character Is not going to take a turn. Droideka and slow high tenacity Nest are the toons that you can not add speed to, and even then people often bring it to 180ish so it can have the +50% speed bringing it to around 270 just to get shield up quick.

Yes, the TM mechanics are there but they are not = win. Not once have I ever checked an opponent's B2 speed thinking my winning would hinge on it being slow. But if it was slow, I would like that

Have you looked at B2's kit?

Have you ever fought a B2?

Have you seen it consistently not gain 100%TM?

If it's slow it has better other stats. Speed on B2 is irrelevant the large majority of the time.
  • TVF wrote: »
    No speed in the realm of not horrible opponents often means you need +70 to + 100 speed or your character Is not going to take a turn. Droideka and slow high tenacity Nest are the toons that you can not add speed to, and even then people often bring it to 180ish so it can have the +50% speed bringing it to around 270 just to get shield up quick.

Have you looked at B2's kit?

Have you ever fought a B2?

Have you seen it consistently not gain 100%TM?

If it's slow it has better other stats. Speed on B2 is irrelevant the large majority of the time.

No
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Lol
  • well it's 40% every time an ally is hit or gets evaded, and his allies attack constantly. I remember thinking "40% isn't much) but it's 40% x roughly 8 billion every turn, so it will happen a lot.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I still think 0 added speed on battledroid

Glad we agree.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I mean, isn't it moot anyway? Who keeps mods with 0 speed that aren't already on droideka or JKL? I think I have some 0 speed mods on Baze as well.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    I mean, isn't it moot anyway? Who keeps mods with 0 speed that aren't already on droideka or JKL?

Me.
  • TVF wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »
    I mean, isn't it moot anyway? Who keeps mods with 0 speed that aren't already on droideka or JKL?

Me.
    +1
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    I mean, isn't it moot anyway? Who keeps mods with 0 speed that aren't already on droideka or JKL? I think I have some 0 speed mods on Baze as well.

Me as well.
  • I mod mine for defense, tenacity and protection with enough potency to make sure those debufs stick even on higher tenacity targets. While I wouldn't target zero speed purposefully mine ended up with 200 just getting tenacity, potency, etc up.