Strategy vs raw power in newer special events?

Just a random question but I've been reading up on most of the newer special events like general Skywalker and thought I'd ask if strategy is really needed to win these events or just maximising a toon's power as in gear gear 13 relic 7 mods all sliced and zetas all filled (regardless if the zeta was necessary). Since players have said that clearing these events can be done with gear 12 toons so long as the right mods are used it got me thinking that maybe using some convoluted strategy might not be needed but instead getting the toons to maximum power before mods will have the same effect as far as getting an easy win. While RNG is still a factor having overpowered toons should be able to better handle themselves since events are not player vs player where multiple variables can influence victory based on mod usage and complex strategy. I mean these events are meant to be beaten at some point and shouldn't be too hard to finish so is a complex battle plan needed or is raw power just as efficient?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    People and CG might disagree on "shouldn't be too hard," but yes, brute forcing generally works. You probably still need some sort of plan or strategy.

The issue is people don't always want to gear up and overpower the characters needed for the event, or wait that long to throw that many resources into what amounts to a secondary team to get a meta character who you then have to also gear (and the supporting team), and whose days at the top of arena will last only until the next character comes along. Hence the need for precise tactics and some rng in order to do it with minimum level squads.

Further, some would argue that the point of the game is to be strategic, rather than throwing piles of resources at every character until you can simply brute force everything as easily as possible.
  • The only event, where Strategy > Power was the Malak Event. Still the best event we had up to date imho.
  • I remember when Gen Sky came out pre-relics my guildmates struggling for 19 hours to unlock him. I decided then and there that I was going to wait for a long while to get him as I don't have god mods. I recently unlocked him with lots of relics on most of the required toons. I had 0 issues with phase 4's droid phase (the one my guildmates struggled with the most) with all my droids at r5 and an r5 Asajj (who got my Vader's crit dmg, crit chance mods) with GG's health set on Magna and my best offense mods on b1 (almost 9k offense stat) and Droideka.

Alot of the guides for that event are 'you need god mods'. But relics toss that out the window. In phase 2 my Padme, Ahsoka were r5. 3PO r3 (for JKL event). Shaak was g8-9. GK was r6. It took some tries to get the turn order right, but then I was able to clear it without much difficulty. Phase 2 is definitely about strategy still. The Relics don't remove that component. They just cancel the need for god mods and amazing RNG.

TLDR; relics eliminate mod reqs and RNG twists, but strategy is still necessary.
  • This may not be an exciting answer, but strategy and power are both important in these events. IMO, relic power just softens the blow of bad rng or a strategy error and speeds up completion. For example, in P4 of the GAS event, having mid-high relics means that you might only need 2-4 tries if you have the right strategy and mods vs 100 tries if most of your characters for the event are G12. I tend to over-relic for events if I like the team anyway because I am impatient lol.
  • I remember when Gen Sky came out pre-relics my guildmates struggling for 19 hours to unlock him. I decided then and there that I was going to wait for a long while to get him as I don't have god mods. I recently unlocked him with lots of relics on most of the required toons. I had 0 issues with phase 4's droid phase (the one my guildmates struggled with the most) with all my droids at r5 and an r5 Asajj (who got my Vader's crit dmg, crit chance mods) with GG's health set on Magna and my best offense mods on b1 (almost 9k offense stat) and Droideka.

Alot of the guides for that event are 'you need god mods'. But relics toss that out the window. In phase 2 my Padme, Ahsoka were r5. 3PO r3 (for JKL event). Shaak was g8-9. GK was r6. It took some tries to get the turn order right, but then I was able to clear it without much difficulty. Phase 2 is definitely about strategy still. The Relics don't remove that component. They just cancel the need for god mods and amazing RNG.

TLDR; relics eliminate mod reqs and RNG twists, but strategy is still necessary.

You are remembering wrong, Relics pre-date GAS.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    As you move up the power scale for each toon you move from extremely unlikely, to luck, then to strategy, and then finally to just power.

This is the way.

There has never been an event where "god mods" are required. The closer you are to the recommended the better your mods have to be, but you can easily make up for poor mods with a little more gear, or spin the RNG wheel.