Turn Meter Overflow and Bonus Turns

Prev1
Scuttlebutt
1190 posts Member
edited September 2020
I’m not sure the interaction in the link below is working properly. I just played a match with Vader under a zEP lead against a padme team. Vader was the fastest character in the match by far. During Merciless Massacre, Vader dropped Ashoka below 50% health. JKA took his bonus turn next, then padme took a turn, and then Vader continued his massacre. If I’m reading the post correct, my Vader should have continued taking turns because all 3 characters received a bonus turn, but Vader was the fastest of all 3.

Speeds:
Vader = 270 before No Escape
JKA = 274
Padme = 283

Is No escape not factored into the tie breaker?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234241/turn-meter-speed-overflow-changes#latest
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    The TM overflow rules still apply when characters gain bonus turns. Vader ended up at 100% TM when he gained his bonus turn since he had just performed an action. JKA and Ahsoka most likely ended up with some overflow (unless they were at 0% initially in your scenario). Speed is only considered if they are tied on TM overflow.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Waqui wrote: »
    The TM overflow rules still apply when characters gain bonus turns. Vader ended up at 100% TM when he gained his bonus turn since he had just performed an action. JKA and Ahsoka most likely ended up with some overflow (unless they were at 0% initially in your scenario). Speed is only considered if they are tied on TM overflow.

This.

Vader gets his bonus turn and has 0 overflow.

The other 2 get a bonus turn and turn whatever TM they had into overflow.
  • Kyno wrote: »

This.

So now a bonus turn grants +100% turn meter instead of bringing a unit’s turn meter to 100%? Is that written down anywhere?

I’m not questioning if you two are right (it appears based on my match that you are), but it would be really nice to know this. I actually went and reread this post by crumb before attempting the match to make sure that Anakin/padme wouldn’t get to take a turn in the middle of massacre and completely blow up my team (they knocked out 3 of 5). If I had known this going into the match, I would have attempted ability block on both rather than trying to stack debuffs to kill JKA in 1 hit.

This.

So now a bonus turn grants +100% turn meter instead of bringing a unit’s turn meter to 100%? Is that written down anywhere?

According to Kyno (a couple of years ago) a turn was defined as 100% TM. Hence gaining a bonus turn would be gaining 100% bonus TM (which couldn't be prevented - but Kyno never confirmed that part AFAIK). The outcome was the same as bringing the TM to 100% (because of the cap) but it was really an addition of 100% TM. That's how I read Kyno's definition back then.
  • But yes, an official explanation would be welcomed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

This.

According to Kyno (a couple of years ago) a turn was defined as 100% TM. Hence gaining a bonus turn would be gaining 100% bonus TM (which couldn't be prevented - but Kyno never confirmed that part AFAIK). The outcome was the same as bringing the TM to 100% (because of the cap) but it was really an addition of 100% TM. That's how I read Kyno's definition back then.

Since there was no system in place before the change to capture any overflow, that was "the way it worked."

Now we have a system to capture the overflow, so when it states a toon gets 100% TM they go to 100%. A bonus turn adds 100% TM (just like it did in the past, but either stopped at 100% or it just didnt matter that you were at any number higher than 100%), which now leaves you with 100% and TM overflow, of the TM you had when you gained the bonus turn.

This.

Since there was no system in place before the change to capture any overflow, that was "the way it worked."

Now we have a system to capture the overflow, so when it states a toon gets 100% TM they go to 100%. A bonus turn adds 100% TM (just like it did in the past, but either stopped at 100% or it just didnt matter that you were at any number higher than 100%), which now leaves you with 100% and TM overflow, of the TM you had when you gained the bonus turn.

How do you know it added 100% turn meter for a bonus turn vs bringing the toon to 100%? There was no way to prove either was happening in the old system, so the communication would have to come from the developers. All we knew before the new system was that after gaining a bonus turn, a toon was at 100% turn meter.

Believe me, I searched the forums before starting my match. All I could find was a response from Crumb to a thread about Malak and JKA. His response said that characters like Malak and JKA are allowed to gain a bonus turn during the massacre, but it didn’t say anything about turn meter overflow due to the bonus turn. Maybe I missed another post covering, but it would be really nice to know since it affects future interactions with Vader and toons like JKA. JKA will almost always have overflow in this situation.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

This.

Gaining 100% bonus turnmeter can still give you an overflow just like gaining a bonus turn can, right? There isn't any difference between gaining 100% bonus TM and gaining a bonus turn in that regard, right?

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member

This.

How do you know it added 100% turn meter for a bonus turn vs bringing the toon to 100%? There was no way to prove either was happening in the old system, so the communication would have to come from the developers. All we knew before the new system was that after gaining a bonus turn, a toon was at 100% turn meter.

Believe me, I searched the forums before starting my match. All I could find was a response from Crumb to a thread about Malak and JKA. His response said that characters like Malak and JKA are allowed to gain a bonus turn during the massacre, but it didn’t say anything about turn meter overflow due to the bonus turn. Maybe I missed another post covering, but it would be really nice to know since it affects future interactions with Vader and toons like JKA. JKA will almost always have overflow in this situation.

I'm sure what you saw and described in your OP is WAI. It fits with how a bonus turn has always been defined (according to Kyno).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

This.

Gaining 100% bonus turnmeter can still give you an overflow just like gaining a bonus turn can, right? There isn't any difference between gaining 100% bonus TM and gaining a bonus turn in that regard, right?

No a skill that states 100% TM (not a bonus turn) puts a toon at 100% TM no overflow. From my understanding.
  • Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

So he's recovering 100% on top of whatever he was at when the Unique activated under the new system.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

This.

No a skill that states 100% TM (not a bonus turn) puts a toon at 100% TM no overflow. From my understanding.

I highly doubt this. Isn't the whole point in the update that characters can now have their TM overflow? How would any character that didn't gain a bonus turn end up with overflow if your understanding is correct?

How do you explain that a character starting out at 90% TM ends up at 100% TM + 5% overflow after gaining 15% bonus TM? (the example in Scuttlebutt's link)

Again: I highly doubt that you are right.

• Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

So he's recovering 100% on top of whatever he was at when the Unique activated under the new system.

Thank you. I think that clears it up. Next time, I’ll ability block JKA and padme first in order to keep from losing most of my team.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

Thank you. I think that clears it up. Next time, I’ll ability block JKA and padme first in order to keep from losing most of my team.

This is a good idea anyway.

I personally feel that characters given a bonus turn should override anyone at 100% who got there from other means, no matter how much "extra" tm they've been getting. This was the point of the bonus turn changes and making Thrawn's tm swap take precedence. The concept of tm overflow is pretty ridiculous, even if people did want some sort of tie-breaker (I for one thought the rng in ties made perfect sense, but people got what they asked for, I guess).
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

I personally feel that characters given a bonus turn should override anyone at 100% who got there from other means, no matter how much "extra" tm they've been getting.

That's how it works.

• crzydroid wrote: »
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

I personally feel that characters given a bonus turn should override anyone at 100% who got there from other means, no matter how much "extra" tm they've been getting. This was the point of the bonus turn changes and making Thrawn's tm swap take precedence. The concept of tm overflow is pretty ridiculous, even if people did want some sort of tie-breaker (I for one thought the rng in ties made perfect sense, but people got what they asked for, I guess).

My initial confusion is because Vader also gets a bonus turn, so I thought he would win the tie breaker because he’s faster.

But to your second comment, I hated the RNG system before. It was so annoying when the opposing team would start a tm train while you have 1 or 2 toons sitting at 100% that could start your own train. A common matchup that I had was when talia would cleanse NS and I’m playing zEP. It **** losing those matches because 9 or 10 toons all hit 100% at the same time but daka and AV got to go first and stun half my team.
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    @Scuttlebutt

The speed tie breaker only occurs if they're both at exactly the same amount of turn meter. Because Anakin is earning his "Bonus Turn" after already having turn meter from the start of battle, he has overflow above 100%.

Vader isn't: each Merciless turn is a complete use of 100% turn meter. He gains bonus turn after bonus turn. 100 to 0 back to 100. there's no overflow.

Anakin jumps in between Vader's Bonus Turns from MM.
    @Scuttlebutt

The speed tie breaker only occurs if they're both at exactly the same amount of turn meter. Because Anakin is earning his "Bonus Turn" after already having turn meter from the start of battle, he has overflow above 100%.

Vader isn't: each Merciless turn is a complete use of 100% turn meter. He gains bonus turn after bonus turn. 100 to 0 back to 100. there's no overflow.

Yea I get it now. I thought granting a bonus turn would only bring them up to 100% and they could then earn overflow later (like from debuffs expiring). I didn’t realize that granting a bonus turn was actually adding 100% to their current TM. Since a bonus turn took precedence over gaining TM, it didn’t seem like they would be given 100% plus their current amount. Regardless, I’ll just plan around it next time.
    @Scuttlebutt

Does the application of ability block on his basic not add 20% TM under EP lead ?
  • It will, but Anakin would have to be less than 20% from battle start, which is unlikely, unless he has absolutely atrocious speed from his mods. It also only has an 80% chance to apply. The point was more that Anakin hasn't consumed any turn meter prior to Righteous Fury being triggered, so he'll be at a high enough amount of overflow to interrupt Merciless when it does.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

My initial confusion is because Vader also gets a bonus turn, so I thought he would win the tie breaker because he’s faster.

But to your second comment, I hated the RNG system before. It was so annoying when the opposing team would start a tm train while you have 1 or 2 toons sitting at 100% that could start your own train. A common matchup that I had was when talia would cleanse NS and I’m playing zEP. It **** losing those matches because 9 or 10 toons all hit 100% at the same time but daka and AV got to go first and stun half my team.

I realize a lot of people hated it and that's why they asked for it. But you only hate it when it works against you; if it worked in your favor you'd do well. At any rate, I thought it was fair and made sense. Having characters go in the order of how much tm they had before in some ways nerfs tm gain abilities by merely increasing the size of the tm bar. If you have "overflow," you are not really at 100%. You just can't see the whole bar now. If you overflow a container, you didn't increase the amount the container holds, the overflowed portion spills on the floor and is useless to you. The container is still only at 100% capacity. That's why the old system made sense. It doesn't matter who was more full before the tm was added; they're both at 100% now.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Anakin's Righteous Fury:

hcr28zdtkeid.png

I realize a lot of people hated it and that's why they asked for it. But you only hate it when it works against you; if it worked in your favor you'd do well. At any rate, I thought it was fair and made sense. Having characters go in the order of how much tm they had before in some ways nerfs tm gain abilities by merely increasing the size of the tm bar. If you have "overflow," you are not really at 100%. You just can't see the whole bar now. If you overflow a container, you didn't increase the amount the container holds, the overflowed portion spills on the floor and is useless to you. The container is still only at 100% capacity. That's why the old system made sense. It doesn't matter who was more full before the tm was added; they're both at 100% now.

Players can now proactivity plan turn orders of toons and actually make a strategy around it . Before there was a level of RnG that was uncontrollable.
    Now the faster Han will go first , you can mod clones now so you can actually know who will go after rex does his buff .
    There are going to be new mechanics to learn and figure out but the good thing is they will be set in stone , were as before you could get screwed by RNG, now you can enter the battle with a higher level of knowledge of what will happen .
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

This.

I highly doubt this. Isn't the whole point in the update that characters can now have their TM overflow? How would any character that didn't gain a bonus turn end up with overflow if your understanding is correct?

How do you explain that a character starting out at 90% TM ends up at 100% TM + 5% overflow after gaining 15% bonus TM? (the example in Scuttlebutt's link)

Again: I highly doubt that you are right.

you are correct that was a misunderstanding on my end. 100% TM ability are treated just like any other TMG, so yes they do end up with overflow of whatever TM they were at when the ability is activated.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Thank you for clearing it up, Kyno.
  • I just ran into this scenario:
    I’m running supreme leader kylo , hux + rest first order so a full FO.
    Opponent is a GAS + 501st team.

It’s my turn with Hux to go
    GAS is covering and have almost full TM so he’ll have full TM after my Hux
    I figure I’ll use Hux ability to give Supreme Kylo a bonus turn, that should add 100% Tm to SL kylos already half full TM having him plenty of TM in total. And if speed is the decider of course Kylo out speed GAS plenty as well. But GAS should not be able to go beyond 109% TM anyway.
    But no, GAS goes next anyway leaving me and Kylo with a big question mark. It didn’t really matter for the outcome since GAS can’t win and it was only an arena match.
  • Was GAS the only one left? He gains 35% TM after every enemy turn.
  • No he had two friends left
  • I just ran into this scenario:
    I’m running supreme leader kylo , hux + rest first order so a full FO.
    Opponent is a GAS + 501st team.

It’s my turn with Hux to go
    GAS is covering and have almost full TM so he’ll have full TM after my Hux
    I figure I’ll use Hux ability to give Supreme Kylo a bonus turn, that should add 100% Tm to SL kylos already half full TM having him plenty of TM in total. And if speed is the decider of course Kylo out speed GAS plenty as well. But GAS should not be able to go beyond 109% TM anyway.
    But no, GAS goes next anyway leaving me and Kylo with a big question mark. It didn’t really matter for the outcome since GAS can’t win and it was only an arena match.

Bonus turn should take priority over 100% Tm. Are you sure you used Hux for a bonus turn instead of FOO to give 100% Tm?
  • Yes I’m very sure, that’s why I was a bit surprised.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Did he take his turn or just stand up?