What difference canon and legend SW??

Abeloth24
84 posts Member
edited September 2020
I tired to not understand this

Replies

• you can look it up in wookiepedia, there's tons of material regarding legends and canon regarding characters. The gist is when Disney bought starwars from Lucas, they decided to do away with the old expanded universe and make a different one. Been a fan of the old expanded universe novels since the 90's, i think the last one was by Troy Denning's "Crucible" in 2012. Anything after that is Disney's and therefore canon
  • On April 25, 2014, after a year of ownership by the Walt Disney Company, a StarWars.com press release confirmed that the films of the sequel trilogy would not adhere to the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe,[11] with further comments from LucasBooks Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle confirming that the EU as a whole is no longer considered canon. The EU has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner.

Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and Part I of the short story Blade Squadron. Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series along with all Marvel Star Wars comic books and novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole. Characters under the Legends banner are still available for use as needed, even if events concerning them are no longer canon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Canon
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    To be fair there was a lot of garbage in the old EU.

I never liked the Emperor's return, or the return of the Sith either. At least the return of the Sith, such as Darth Caedus and Darth Krayt - were fun stories, but the Emperor's return never sat well with me.

To me the old EU were always legends stories - take them or leave them.

But they did remain true to the character and legacy of Luke Skywalker - which is one of the reasons I cannot endorse the sequel trilogy, as for it to exist all the good that came out of the old EU is gone, and what we were given was everything equal (if not more so) to everything bad the EU had to offer.

The EU I really enjoyed were the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, and games such as Bounty Hunter and Force Unleashed - they will always be a part of my cannon, just as the Disney sequel trilogy will not.
  • Unfortunately for you, being cannon is not an opinion but fact.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, being cannon is not an opinion but fact.

Actually cannon is not opinion but a big gun.

And with that said, I find the idea of canon pretty silly and a great way to just get in arguments and be grouchy. I have my own canon and I ignore whatever I don't care about.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, being cannon is not an opinion but fact.

Actually cannon is not opinion but a big gun.

And with that said, I find the idea of canon pretty silly and a great way to just get in arguments and be grouchy. I have my own canon and I ignore whatever I don't care about.

I agree with this. It is an opinion, just a particular person or groups opinion.

Also if you had a cannon, what you care about may matter more to those you point it at.
  • Anyone is certainly free to accept whatever version they choose. Ultimately every person should enjoy Star Wars however they want. But there is an official canon and legend designation, and for the most part it’s not really debatable or subject to one person’s opinion.