matchmaking with 2 fleet spots

Replies

• They probably don’t include ship GP into matchmaking because they’d have to adjust it. Which of these ships is the best? And now look at their GP.

• This is finally people’s punishment for neglecting fleets. This is good. I hope matchmaking wont change.
    If ppl didnt work on their fleet it’s their fault and they just deserve to lose :)
  • @Mastersbgames lol "correct toons". What a silly thing to say.

Why would he bother investing in ships, he sits first everyday in fleet. I dont blame him at all for dumping his energy and focus into gls instead of a second fleet.

I dont have mal unlocked, I have enough get2 to almost 7* him but I was waiting for a curveball on gls first. That's on me, I didnt have the "correct toons". But it was gamble I felt worth taking. Sure it'll hurt me this first round but whatever. But I don't blame @HerderOfNerf at all for their choice
  • This is finally people’s punishment for neglecting fleets. This is good. I hope matchmaking wont change.
    If ppl didnt work on their fleet it’s their fault and they just deserve to lose :)

Oh good. Another completely objective, well thought out point about matchmaking.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Why unlock Malevolence if you weren't going to put any effort into his ships? You bloated your roster with Malevolence, chose not to farm its ships, and then complain the matchmaking is unfair?

Malevolence is a super fun ship to play with. No one is forcing you to chase every GL that's released. You could stop and spend time on the ships. if all GLs are of the same power levels, you don't need all of them.

Pretty dumb thing to say. I've been first in fleet arena every day for the past three years. That's as long as I've played. So I deserve to lose in GA because someone has played two years longer has had more resources to put into fleet? How about they match players based on how long they've played. I didn't lose a single match when matchmaking was based on GP. But too many terrible players cried because they can't compete in their own weight class.

If you don't focus on the real problem which is not getting matched with fleet gp, you have no chance to get what you want. It will never ever go back to full gp mm or -how long you played- thing.
  • Why unlock Malevolence if you weren't going to put any effort into his ships? You bloated your roster with Malevolence, chose not to farm its ships, and then complain the matchmaking is unfair?

Malevolence is a super fun ship to play with. No one is forcing you to chase every GL that's released. You could stop and spend time on the ships. if all GLs are of the same power levels, you don't need all of them.

This gives a permanent advantage to players who have been playing for 5+ years when they get matched with me. And that's the only players I get matched with.

5+ years? Oh yeah, tell me all about those players that have been playing a game that got released in November 2015 for 5+ years. I'm sure there must be loads of those!

Pretty dumb thing to say. I've been first in fleet arena every day for the past three years. That's as long as I've played. So I deserve to lose in GA because someone has played two years longer has had more resources to put into fleet? How about they match players based on how long they've played. I didn't lose a single match when matchmaking was based on GP. But too many terrible players cried because they can't compete in their own weight class.

The fleet meta has changed so many times in three years how do you only have one fleet?

I've got Rebels, I've got Thrawn, I've got Negotiator. My Malevolence is only 6*, but I made sure to farm Hyena and Vulture the hard way--five sims a day, no refreshes. I barely even crack 100 because I don't care enough. How are people first every day for so long and their fleets are so bad?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • There may or may not be some fleet gp factored into matchmaking, we don’t know. Maybe just do your best and see what happens? GP is only sort of an indicator of play length and purely gp matchmaking was not great. This is the first week of 2 fleets, give it a few more to see if it’s broken before complaining.

• Here's a clue. I was farming hyena and vulture. I had every intention of finishing them. Then shortly after I started, GL were announced. Having only played three years, I didn't have all of resistance and FO farmed, so I had to switch to farming them. I'm still finishing hux and FO SiT. If it weren't for the new GL, I could have gone back to ships. But I now have five more toons to farm with regular energy. Before I'm done with them, new GL will be announced. So it's impossible to do both. This gives a permanent advantage to players who have been playing for 5+ years when they get matched with me. And that's the only players I get matched with.

As for all GL being the same power level, they won't be. CG has never released a new meta at the same power level and they won't start now. They said they'll be a similar power level. The same way DR is similar to GS. They'll be the new meta and unless you keep up, you'll be playing arena with a soft counter and climbing from 100+ every day.

DR counters GS, GS counters DR. So by your own logic and admission- Rey, Kylo, Luke, and Palp will all counter one another. Since they're all of a similar power level.

If you're so sure they won't be I'd love to know what inside source you're getting your information from. I've seen no reason to believe that Rey and Kylo can't counter Luke and Palp. CG has done alot of things they've never done before since the new Executive Producers have taken over. What I find interesting is you're complaining about GAC matchups and yet the reason you're ignoring ships has nothing to do with GAC (ships have been a big part of GAC so the new 2 fleet setup really shouldn't be surprising to anyone) and everything to do with your arena ranking as justification for chasing 4 GLs. Which is with ppl who started the game at around the same time as you. You can have all 4 GLs. You still can only pick one for arena. And if you think your matchmaking sucks now, just wait until all those GLs add all that extra GP to you and you're facing ppl with all maxed fleets bc they bothered to farm all the ships and you opted not to. All the GLs boost your pilots for your ships and require a ship be farmed so there's no real excuse to not give ships some attention unless you want a lopsided roster, which apparently you did and are now bitter about. Some ppl put alot of effort into ships. To the point their rosters get screwed bc ships add more GP than most toons. You're saying you shouldn't be punished by this new setup but other players should bc you want the system to benefit you and your specific style of play.

P.S. this game isn't even 5 years old yet. So playing with players who've been playing for 5 and a half years is quite the accomplishment.
  • EyeG_80ate wrote: »
    There may or may not be some fleet gp factored into matchmaking, we don’t know. Maybe just do your best and see what happens? GP is only sort of an indicator of play length and purely gp matchmaking was not great. This is the first week of 2 fleets, give it a few more to see if it’s broken before complaining.

^^This.

• Here's a clue. I was farming hyena and vulture. I had every intention of finishing them. Then shortly after I started, GL were announced. Having only played three years, I didn't have all of resistance and FO farmed, so I had to switch to farming them. I'm still finishing hux and FO SiT. If it weren't for the new GL, I could have gone back to ships. But I now have five more toons to farm with regular energy. Before I'm done with them, new GL will be announced. So it's impossible to do both. This gives a permanent advantage to players who have been playing for 5+ years when they get matched with me. And that's the only players I get matched with.

As for all GL being the same power level, they won't be. CG has never released a new meta at the same power level and they won't start now. They said they'll be a similar power level. The same way DR is similar to GS. They'll be the new meta and unless you keep up, you'll be playing arena with a soft counter and climbing from 100+ every day.

DR counters GS, GS counters DR. So by your own logic and admission- Rey, Kylo, Luke, and Palp will all counter one another. Since they're all of a similar power level.

If you're so sure they won't be I'd love to know what inside source you're getting your information from. I've seen no reason to believe that Rey and Kylo can't counter Luke and Palp. CG has done alot of things they've never done before since the new Executive Producers have taken over. What I find interesting is you're complaining about GAC matchups and yet the reason you're ignoring ships has nothing to do with GAC (ships have been a big part of GAC so the new 2 fleet setup really shouldn't be surprising to anyone) and everything to do with your arena ranking as justification for chasing 4 GLs. Which is with ppl who started the game at around the same time as you. You can have all 4 GLs. You still can only pick one for arena. And if you think your matchmaking sucks now, just wait until all those GLs add all that extra GP to you and you're facing ppl with all maxed fleets bc they bothered to farm all the ships and you opted not to. All the GLs boost your pilots for your ships and require a ship be farmed so there's no real excuse to not give ships some attention unless you want a lopsided roster, which apparently you did and are now bitter about. Some ppl put alot of effort into ships. To the point their rosters get screwed bc ships add more GP than most toons. You're saying you shouldn't be punished by this new setup but other players should bc you want the system to benefit you and your specific style of play.

P.S. this game isn't even 5 years old yet. So playing with players who've been playing for 5 and a half years is quite the accomplishment.

DR is a soft counter to GS. It can win, but will drop like a rock on defense. Which was the point. The same will be true of the new GL in relation to the old ones. They will not be equal in power. They will be soft counters.

How is it I’ve been first in arena every day for the past three years if I’ve been ignoring ships? Kind of a stupid thing to say. The fact is that when you have been playing for three years, as opposed to five, you have not farmed a lot of the toons that are required for GL. And now with the rate they are releasing them, you can’t possibly farm the requirements and farm other things like ships that aren’t needed for arena.

Someone who has been playing for five years already has farmed everything aside from the new toons. So they are able to dedicate resources to ships and not fall behind on the meta.

It’s simply **** to match players who have had two more years to build their rosters against newer players.
    First of all, I’m on your side when it comes to ship GP being factored in to matchmaking. Your case suggests that ship GP is not being considered at all, though it would be nice if you took MaruMaru up on their offer to verify this. You’d both be doing the community a service.

I can’t agree with your follow up, though, about only matching people who have been playing for the same length of time. If we include this request, that means the forum has requested that matchmaking ensures the following:

- same total GP
    - Same top X GP
    - Same number of relic toons
    - Same number of zetas
    - Same number of GLs
    - similar levels of mods
    - And now similar start date

The longer that list gets the fewer and fewer opponents will meet the criteria (I’m aware you haven’t suggested all of those things, but “the forum” at large definitely has).

And start date will throw up just as many discrepancies. Some people played the game, took a break, then came back several months or even years later to play again. You can’t possibly think it would be fair for them to match against people with uninterrupted roster development?

You’ve identified the problem and the solution - ship GP should be a factor in matchmaking for GACs involving ships. No need to suggest an alternative solution that is equally flawed.

• Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    I feel like if CG made players fight themselves, people would still end up complaining about how unbalanced matchmaking is
  • Has anyone confirmed match making actually doesn't include ships?
    Are there any bots that can spit this out? (somehow in SWGoHBot?)
    Mine looks fairly close just looking at totals, but a guild colleague looks way off:
    Char GP :: 2.7M vs 3.1M
    Ship GP :: 2.0M vs 2.5M
    Wouldn't think there's enough ships to have that difference.
  • Wimma wrote: »
    Has anyone confirmed match making actually doesn't include ships?
    Mine looks fairly close just looking at totals, but a guild colleague looks way off:

You are looking it wrong since mm works on some portion of the gp, not full of it.

In order to verify this we need to look at a few players match up comparison on some data points and isolate the commonality.

- Top X (this is top 80 for div 1-2) : even though we have 3 vs 3 and 7 slots+ships I have yet to see proof anything but -only squad slots*10- used
    - Top X adjusted to lower slots
    - Top X adjusted to lower slots + Top Y for ships (assuming top 28 for div1-2 for now)

One of these 3 values should be pretty close on opponent comparisons across all players we check this on. Ships part has to be done manually.

Hotbot gives exact values like this which takes care of the squad top x part.
    0lbi1zdopd5l.png

Let me know if there's a working tool that calculates custom top X values like this one (which doesn't work with new toons anymore) so we can check top 80 and 70 seperately.
    https://swgohevents.com/gp-compare

Or @scuba or someone else tech savvy can help us pull this info automatically from the api which should be publicly avaliable.
  • Froggyogy wrote: »
    Since I can't possibly win, I'll no longer participate in GA. I'll just set every meta squad on defense and it won't be fun for anyone. Not that CG ever cared about players having fun.

I get the frustration. I don't get the response. You won't have fun, so you want to ruin other people's fun? Are you a child?

Facts. The OP is also literally getting mad over something that is their fault. If you don't have good Negotiator AND Malevolence fleets by the time you are up there, that is entirely your fault. I am in Division 7 right now and I have two perfectly viable offensive and defensive fleets and a well rounded roster and I am probably a third or a fourth of your GP. And also, farming Vulture droid and Hyena bomber are not massive resources, they don't even require characters so I don't know what you mean by that. Obviously the matchmaking can and will be unfair at times but many times that's because you did not plan out your roster efficiently.

Lol. Looks like you started playing yesterday. You don't even have a 7-star capital ship. Get back to me when every resource you have goes into farming GL. And then tell me how you're going to farm additional fleets that take more resources than you've put in your entire roster.

You are in div 1, with only 1 or 2 semi viable fleets. Still your issue with not farming them. No need to push that onto others... I stalled out getting my negotiator to 7 stars so I could unlock the mal, just for another fleet. And if you do a mirror match if you have both the negotiator and malevolence, maybe you need to rethink your strategy... If your opponent sets both on defense, why would you intentionally go for a Mirror match when neg can take on mal on defense and mal can take on neg on defense... seems pointless...

So, I’m the end, I agree with Froggyogy... this is your fault for not farming fleets. Yes, CG should include ships into match making, but what would that do...

You have three options,
    1- you get someone super focused on Squads but not fleets
    2-you get someone super focused on fleets but not squads
    3- you get a mix...
    Seems like you just want to pick and choose for an easy win...

Also, before you do say anything, I am close to 5.3m, with an even roster as fleets is easy crystals every day... much easier than squads. So...

There are only 2 meta fleets. Neg and Mal. If you had read what I wrote, you would know my mal can't beat neg or mal.

The problem with matchmaking is they match players who have been playing for vastly different periods of time. Players who have been playing for two years longer already have a lot of the prerequisites for GL before they're announced. So they spend less time farming them and are able to farm other things. Like ships.

Players who haven't played as long have to put every resource they have into those prerequisites just to keep up.

But that's all besides the point. Your argument is that it's the players fault if their opponent has a huge advantage in ships. Why not apply that same logic, or the lack thereof, to toons? Why not match someone with 2M GP top 80 toons with someone with 1M GP? It's their fault they didn't put the resources into them. Never mind they haven't played long enough to do it.

Um, first off, I would blame the player if they got to 5m GP and still didn’t have the correct toons...

Second off, whilst meta, other fleets can beat negotiator and malevolence... Admittedly it would take a while, but tie bomber with empire can beat neg...
    next, I did read what you wrote, and if you are unable to get your mal to beat mal or neg, them, as stated before hand, you haven’t put much time into it... I have a 4 star bomber and 5 star vulture droid, 7 star geos and 6 star IG 2000, yet, can beat neg and mal... all about timing. Buzz droids do most the work anyway. Just get them out, have sun fad, vulture and bomber in starting line up nd don’t call reinforcements. Only use special abilities. Reinforce when you lose one of your starting ships... AI plays very badly for mal on defense...

If you are unable to win though, maybe put some time into fleet. As I stated before, it’s a great source of crystals. You basically get back what you put in.

Hyena and vulture both require regular energy. You know what else requires regular energy? Almost every toon required for GL. So to stay close to the meta, you have to prioritize those farms. And at the rate CG is releasing GL, it's not possible to farm GL while spending resources on fleet. Or anything else for that matter.

And again, that's beside the point. If they're are going to make ships a major part of GA (and by doubling the fleets, they did) they should include ships in matchmaking.

But thanks for the tips. I've been trying to figure out how to improve in fleet arena.

84d80kvefte6.png
    HA, top of fleet. No excuse then... Yes, it is unfair matchmaking, and show involve fleets, but again, I am nearly ready for GL palpsy. I was farming the ships with normal energy, whilst farming for SLKR. Working in vulture and bomber now. It isn’t an excuse for someone to complain. There are other ships that can beat negotiator without maxed mal. Just need to know how to do so...

Ending statement, as I can not be bothered with arguing a point when the other person can’t even be bothered to view it from a different angle...

Yes, I agree with you that the matchmaking isn’t fair for fleets, but that is also on you for not farming the ships...
    you have a good neg fleet, you shouldn’t complain that you have one if you haven’t put in time for the other...
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    Wimma wrote: »

You are looking it wrong since mm works on some portion of the gp, not full of it.

In order to verify this we need to look at a few players match up comparison on some data points and isolate the commonality.

- Top X (this is top 80 for div 1-2) : even though we have 3 vs 3 and 7 slots+ships I have yet to see proof anything but -only squad slots*10- used
    - Top X adjusted to lower slots + Top Y for ships (assuming top 28 for div1-2 for now)

One of these 3 values should be pretty close on opponent comparisons across all players we check this on. Ships part has to be done manually.

0lbi1zdopd5l.png

Let me know if there's a working tool that calculates custom top X values like this one (which doesn't work with new toons anymore) so we can check top 80 and 70 seperately.

Or @scuba or someone else tech savvy can help us pull this info automatically from the api which should be publicly avaliable.
    I have such a parser and data from my last 9 GA brackets but the results are mixed. In 7 of 9 brackets, character GP only is the best candidate but in the other 2 brackets, character + ship GP is the best.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »

0lbi1zdopd5l.png

I have such a parser and data from my last 9 GA brackets but the results are mixed. In 7 of 9 brackets, character GP only is the best candidate but in the other 2 brackets, character + ship GP is the best.

What top x and top y(ships) did you use to compare?

It's good to keep in mind current gac and 1 fleet of variety of the same template may be using top 70 instead of top 80 (and nothing else).

It would be pretty nice if you can check your current pool in the 3 varities I wrote before people's gps start to sail away from the values mm was made.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Wow. I never thought of that. So let's say I save my Neg and Mal for offense and my opponent sets both on defense. How is my mal going to win a mirror with a four-star hyena and no vulture? It's not.

Did you consider using your Malevolence against your opponent's Negotiator instead? Those two fleets counter each other quite well while mirror matches are more tricky.
    Did you consider farming Hyena Bomber? It has been farmable for ages.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Since I can't possibly win, I'll no longer participate in GA. I'll just set every meta squad on defense and it won't be fun for anyone. Not that CG ever cared about players having fun.

I've encountered a few of that type of defense. They are actually quite fun to play against - especially when/if you manage to clear the board any way.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    He has every ship except for two at lvl 85, 7-stars. That's 40 ships. I have 28. I don't see any way that's factored into matchmaking.

I agree with you that fleet GP (or top-Y fleet GP) should be a matchmaking parameter. However, we've know for several months that CG was planning to add another fleet slot. You had plenty of time to prepare.

I get the frustration. I don't get the response. You won't have fun, so you want to ruin other people's fun? Are you a child?

Facts. The OP is also literally getting mad over something that is their fault. If you don't have good Negotiator AND Malevolence fleets by the time you are up there, that is entirely your fault. I am in Division 7 right now and I have two perfectly viable offensive and defensive fleets and a well rounded roster and I am probably a third or a fourth of your GP. And also, farming Vulture droid and Hyena bomber are not massive resources, they don't even require characters so I don't know what you mean by that. Obviously the matchmaking can and will be unfair at times but many times that's because you did not plan out your roster efficiently.

Lol. Looks like you started playing yesterday. You don't even have a 7-star capital ship. Get back to me when every resource you have goes into farming GL. And then tell me how you're going to farm additional fleets that take more resources than you've put in your entire roster.

You are in div 1, with only 1 or 2 semi viable fleets. Still your issue with not farming them. No need to push that onto others... I stalled out getting my negotiator to 7 stars so I could unlock the mal, just for another fleet. And if you do a mirror match if you have both the negotiator and malevolence, maybe you need to rethink your strategy... If your opponent sets both on defense, why would you intentionally go for a Mirror match when neg can take on mal on defense and mal can take on neg on defense... seems pointless...

So, I’m the end, I agree with Froggyogy... this is your fault for not farming fleets. Yes, CG should include ships into match making, but what would that do...

You have three options,
    3- you get a mix...

Also, before you do say anything, I am close to 5.3m, with an even roster as fleets is easy crystals every day... much easier than squads. So...

There are only 2 meta fleets. Neg and Mal. If you had read what I wrote, you would know my mal can't beat neg or mal.

The problem with matchmaking is they match players who have been playing for vastly different periods of time. Players who have been playing for two years longer already have a lot of the prerequisites for GL before they're announced. So they spend less time farming them and are able to farm other things. Like ships.

Players who haven't played as long have to put every resource they have into those prerequisites just to keep up.

But that's all besides the point. Your argument is that it's the players fault if their opponent has a huge advantage in ships. Why not apply that same logic, or the lack thereof, to toons? Why not match someone with 2M GP top 80 toons with someone with 1M GP? It's their fault they didn't put the resources into them. Never mind they haven't played long enough to do it.

Um, first off, I would blame the player if they got to 5m GP and still didn’t have the correct toons...

Second off, whilst meta, other fleets can beat negotiator and malevolence... Admittedly it would take a while, but tie bomber with empire can beat neg...
    next, I did read what you wrote, and if you are unable to get your mal to beat mal or neg, them, as stated before hand, you haven’t put much time into it... I have a 4 star bomber and 5 star vulture droid, 7 star geos and 6 star IG 2000, yet, can beat neg and mal... all about timing. Buzz droids do most the work anyway. Just get them out, have sun fad, vulture and bomber in starting line up nd don’t call reinforcements. Only use special abilities. Reinforce when you lose one of your starting ships... AI plays very badly for mal on defense...

If you are unable to win though, maybe put some time into fleet. As I stated before, it’s a great source of crystals. You basically get back what you put in.

He doesn’t have Nego 7*, are you expecting him to have tie-bomber?
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »

0lbi1zdopd5l.png

My bot does same thing of top 80 and top 65 comparison, and gp calculations for relics and ultimates and such are correct.
    For the most part that I know of the top 80 and top 65 charaters is very close.
    I can post up an example later
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    I feel like if CG made players fight themselves, people would still end up complaining about how unbalanced matchmaking is

tumblr_pvvlqkzDAJ1xd6vc6o4_500.gif
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH

You have three options,
    3- you get a mix...

And whose fault is it that you have a 4* Hyena in division 1? A ship that's been farmable for over a year.

Sure, blame it on matchmaking.

• Free 2 play and div 1. Put plenty of effort into fleet and none into GL's. My Guild doesn't do well in DS Geo TB and we don't touch LS Geo TB. I have a 5* Malevolence and no negotiator.

Sometimes I come out on top, other times I don't. But it's never a disadvantage, just a consequence of my choices verse someone else's choices.